Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:38   #2071
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yes. I'm a crazy pune guy who keeps traversing those areas! I love coastal karnataka.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:50   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I ......car can .My car has damaged tires and I wasnt exceeding 120 ...still i did Mangalore-Channrayapatna in 3 hours!!

This time I ......
with folded side mirrors!!
woha. 3 hours from Mangalroe to CR Patna!
thats totally awesome for zen! i used to hear about peopel travelling mangalore Bangalore in 5 hours in Lancer but in a zen!

what was the total travel time between Mangalore-Bangalore? How many people were with you, was zen fully loaded or you were alone?
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:41   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
woha. 3 hours from Mangalroe to CR Patna!
thats totally awesome for zen! i used to hear about peopel travelling mangalore Bangalore in 5 hours in Lancer but in a zen!

what was the total travel time between Mangalore-Bangalore? How many people were with you, was zen fully loaded or you were alone?
I would suggest not to try these kind of driving style in Mangalore - Hassan roads to be on a safer side.
  • Its not a Mumbai - Pune Express way or a NICE road .The road is single lane and has heavy traffic on both sides.
  • The road conditions changes after every heavy rain and big potholes pop up regularly.
  • This route has a number of sharp curve's which has blind spots.
  • There is lack of road side assistance like Medical help, garages, etc if something happens.
  • The Mine truck drivers are not professional drivers and lack experience. They may not be able to react quickly. Have seen them many times coming in wrong side in ghat sections.
  • Lot of petroleum tankers pass this route, oil spills on roads can make the cars skid.
  • Villagers and cattle cross roads without seeing oncoming traffic.
The biggest risk is you may be a expert but others may not be. So think of your loved ones before driving such speeds. Its not a wow factor.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:46   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Yes ,I agree with you .Its not an expressway.Guess it was the time of the day(afternoon) when there wasnt much traffic .The Ghat was also clear without much traffic and the Sakleshpur-Channrayapatna runway was also clear .

About the Zen ,we were 2 of us in the car and according to the GPS ,the max speed touched was 121kph .We did 216 kms in 3.16 hours .

About 5 hours in a Zen ,we have done Bangalore-Mangalore in close to 5 hours when the NICE road wasnt in existence .The time of the day also plays an important role.The fastest time on this road is in the afternoons.
The total travel time from Mangalore to Indiranagar was close to 6 hours .I did this via the Kunigal -Magadi road.

And by saying 3 hours ,i wasnt trying to show off.All I was trying to highlight is that this road is in awesome shape now.

Last edited by speedsatya : 3rd May 2010 at 22:50.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:57   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
And by saying 3 hours ,i wasnt trying to show off.All I was trying to highlight is that this road is in awesome shape now.
Hi Satya,

Nothing specific to offend your driving. I just don't want any new comers to risk their life trying to break your record of 3 hours.

I know many of us who travel regularly know the terrain well, but for new comers its just a word of caution since driving in ghat roads is a different ball game altogether.

The roads no doubt in good shape after almost a year. So enjoy happy and safe riding.
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:02   #2076
Team-BHP Support

I did Bangalore-Manipal in 11 hours 40 minutes today, covering 468kms via Bangalore-Maddur-Srirangapattana-Elavala-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Polibetta-Ammathi-Murnad-Madikeri-Bantwal-Moodubidri-Karkala-Manipal. I had to take this route because I had to check on the Jeep rebuild. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1867719-post741.html)

I spent 1.5hours at the garage, 20 minutes at Kamath Upachar for breakfast, 45 minutes at Hotel East end (madikeri) for lunch. That means the actual travel time was 9 hours for 468kms. I am happy if I can cross the average time of 50Kmph, besides these were mainly twisting roads.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:40   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Thanks to MCR and Sushrutha.
Day 1 (30-April)
Bangalore-magadi-kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri
Started : 5.10AM Reached – 12.30PM including two half hour breaks
Day 1 (30-April)
Sringeri – Horanadu
Started 2.30PM ; Reached : 5.30PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If Sringeri is your first priority, Go in the reverse order .
Approx Journey time
BLR-Hassan-CKM approx 5hrs
CKM-Sringeri Approx 2 Hrs
So if you start by 5AM, you should be reaching Sringeri by 12.30pm including a Breakfast n bio break.
Start by 2.30pm
Sringeri-Hornadu approx 2 hrs.
You can stay in Horanadu.
So most of the trip went according to the plan. Including the timing part too ;-)
Did it rain in any of the places ?
Old 4th May 2010, 12:16   #2078
BHPian

Hi Sushrutha, Yes. Most part of the trip went exactly as planned and it was possible only due to yours and MCR inputs. I was driving these places for the very first time and your route suggestion was spot on.

I started the drive on Friday morning last week and the moment I crossed Hassan, it was cloudy and very pleasant weather with very slight drizzle in the mountains. Perfect for driving. We didnot use the A/C at all while driving in the mountains. At Sringeri, the house owner where we stayed told that there was a very heavy rainfall the previous night on Thursday. This was evident with the water that we could see on the roads and the streams flowing. On Saturday there was no rain and was sunny until we reached Kukke. In the evening, it started raining heavily in Kukke for about an hour.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:58   #2079
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear about the rains. Eagerly waiting for the monsoons. It rained ice cubes in pune two weeks back. Was damn happy to see a hailstorm. I thought it was rain and took my neice out and we were dancing in the showers. 10 mins later it was pelting ice cubes down.
My parents also told of heavy rains in udupi last week which resulted in power cut and they had to move to Kediyoor hotel to stay!

Longdrivelover. You will have a great time during the monsoons!
Old 4th May 2010, 21:13   #2080
BHPian

I'm planning to do Bangalore-Mangalore this week and Mangalore-Bangalore the coming Monday. Was originally planning to take the train, but now it is too late to book the tickets.

Start: Near Sarjapur Jn, Bangalore; Friday/Saturday Morning
Destination: Near Pumpwell Jn, Mangalore; Friday/Saturday Evening
Travelers: 3 adults + 1 kid
Vehicle: Hyundai Tucson

Since the passengers include my 11 month old kid, I need to be extra cautious during the drive and take the smoothest route even if the distance is longer. After going through the last few pages, I'm a bit confused on which route to take. I haven't gone this route for a long long time adding to my confusion.

I carry a GPS loaded with MMI & Satguide maps but their routing and coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing beats TBHP guidance from my previous experiences.

Kindly suggest the best routes as per current road conditions. Also what would be the best time to start from Bangalore to avoid traffic jams?

Route snapshot of Google Maps or Yahoo India maps would be very appreciated.
Old 4th May 2010, 21:35   #2081
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I'm planning to do Bangalore-Mangalore this week and Mangalore-Bangalore the coming Monday. Was originally planning to take the train, but now it is too late to book the tickets.

Start: Near Sarjapur Jn, Bangalore; Friday/Saturday Morning
Destination: Near Pumpwell Jn, Mangalore; Friday/Saturday Evening
Travelers: 3 adults + 1 kid
Vehicle: Hyundai Tucson

Since the passengers include my 11 month old kid, I need to be extra cautious during the drive and take the smoothest route even if the distance is longer. After going through the last few pages, I'm a bit confused on which route to take. I haven't gone this route for a long long time adding to my confusion.

I carry a GPS loaded with MMI & Satguide maps but their routing and coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing beats TBHP guidance from my previous experiences.

Kindly suggest the best routes as per current road conditions. Also what would be the best time to start from Bangalore to avoid traffic jams?

Route snapshot of Google Maps or Yahoo India maps would be very appreciated.
Digital Vampire. Just take the NH48 after Kunigal. Till Kunigal drive on Magadi road. The route is as follows,
Bangalore - Magadi road - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi Ghat - Gundya - Mangalore

The best time is to start from Bangalore at aroung 8.00 Am so that you can reach Sakaleshpur at 11.30 Am or around that time. have lunch at Ossur restaurant and Head towards Shiradi during the Midday when the traffic is very less. As per the recent experinces of Speed satya, the trafiic on shiradi ghat is very less in the afternoon. The ghat roads have been just relaid and the drive will be defenitely amazing. Pls find enclosed the road map. Hafe a safe journey.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by MCR : 4th May 2010 at 21:37.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:59   #2082
BHPian

That was quick MCR! Thanks a bunch!!!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get out of Bangalore. (Sarjapur Jn to Magadi Road). I'm a total newbie to Bangalore roads and it confuses me to no extend...lol
Old 5th May 2010, 09:17   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
That was quick MCR! Thanks a bunch!!!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get out of Bangalore. (Sarjapur Jn to Magadi Road). I'm a total newbie to Bangalore roads and it confuses me to no extend...lol
If you're planning to get out from Bangalore as late as 8 AM, your best bet would be to enter the NICE road from NH4 near Electronic city and exit on Magadi Road. If it's early in the morning like 4 or 5 AM, you could cut across the city - directions for that would be rather complicated though since there are several options you could take.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:16   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Yeah ..take the NICE road till you see the Magadi Road exit.The Magadi-Kunigal stretch is awesome and freshly laid,but you have to be careful for madly driven private buses and some morons on four wheelers.The superb road is so tempting that most of these fools tend to forget that there could be oncoming traffic on the curves.
I would say plan your trip such that you are on the NICE road by 7 -8 am ..anything earlier than that could mean you might have the early morning Bangalore bound HCVs(buses and trucks) in a mad rush towards you.The NH48 wouldnt have much traffic in the mornings and the afternoon.You can easily cover Bangalore-Mangalore in under 6 hours.

Drive safe!
Old 5th May 2010, 10:21   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah ..take the NICE road till you see the Magadi Road exit.The Magadi-Kunigal stretch is awesome and freshly laid,but you have to be careful for madly driven private buses and some morons on four wheelers.The superb road is so tempting that most of these fools tend to forget that there could be oncoming traffic on the curves.
I would say plan your trip such that you are on the NICE road by 7 -8 am ..anything earlier than that could mean you might have the early morning Bangalore bound HCVs(buses and trucks) in a mad rush towards you.The NH48 wouldnt have much traffic in the mornings and the afternoon.You can easily cover Bangalore-Mangalore in under 6 hours.

Drive safe!
+1, watch out for cattle and goats as they walk freely and sleep in the road. Also, children playing near the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks