Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 17:59   #2131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
My post below borders on OT (I do not know if a separate thread is needed for this ) :

Waze: A GPS App To Avoid Traffic Jams
this is again a GPS based app for phone. so definitely this needs maps and the connectivity.

Quote:
Instead why not just have a Electronic display board on the road, Which says the current status of the road . Update has to be done NHAI / State highway authority.
he he. nice idea dude. But I You and all of us know that NHAI can’t give us decent roads forget about extra information like jam on a road so we the people have to do something instead

Atleast to start with can any one create a twitter group for regular Mangalore-Bangalore group. Sorry i never used twitter. Just know the concept on which it works One can keep updating the twitter through GPRS phone while travelling and others can refer same!

Last edited by recshenoy : 26th May 2010 at 18:01.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:12   #2132
Team-BHP Support

I would still say a tbhp mobile app would ideal!
At least more than half the problem solved. If not live, one can update a thread whenever he/she gets a connection. Off-course one needs GPRS, but with prices falling a big, I guess folks can afford it.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:14   #2133
Senior - BHPian

I drove to my parent's place today morning

Left Yelahanka at 5:20 AM and reached my parent's home near Udupi by 1:15 PM.

Total KMs : 440 KM
Total Time : 7 hours 55 minutes
Break time : 35 minutes at Kamat Upachar after CR Patna for breakfast
Journey time: 7 hours 20 minutes
Average speed: 55 KMPH (including break time)
Average speed: 60 KMPH (excluding break time)
Peak driving speed : 100 KMPH somewhere near Hassan
Average driving speed : 70-80 KMPH

Route : Yelahanka - Dr Rajkumar Road - Magadi road - Magadi town - NH 48 - Kunigal - CR-Patna - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Uppinangady - BC Road - Mangalore BP - Udupi BP - Parent's home.

Road conditions :

Very good throughout except around Magadi town, some patches in NH48 near Kunigal, BC Road, some patches between BC Road to Surathkal

Total Bad patches could be some 10-15 KMs in total distance wise.

Traffic conditions:

Within Bangalore : Moderate
Magadi Road : lot of incoming bus traffic
NH48 : low to very low traffic
Shiradi Ghat : Very low traffic except some oil/gas tankers (in all som 8-10 tankers)
Uppinangadi onwards till Udupi : Dense traffic, avg speed dropped to just 42 KMPH in this stretch.

I encountered only one pot hole in Shiradi
Old 26th May 2010, 18:35   #2134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I drove to my parent's place today morning

Left Yelahanka at 5:20 AM and reached my parent's home near Udupi by 1:15 PM.

Total KMs : 440 KM
Total Time : 7 hours 55 minutes
Break time : 35 minutes at Kamat Upachar after CR Patna for breakfast
Journey time: 7 hours 20 minutes
That's a very good speed. Recently I haven't done good speed considering I either travel with kids or via Coorg to check on the Jeep rebuild. Too many breaks.

Quote:
Shiradi Ghat : Very low traffic except some oil/gas tankers (in all som 8-10 tankers)
Wow, you mean the mining license cancellation has had effect on the mine truck traffic?

Mining companies can't get everything for free: Handique- Hindustan Times

Quote:
Uppinangadi onwards till Udupi : Dense traffic, avg speed dropped to just 42 KMPH in this stretch.
Why didn't you turn off towards Dharmastala before Uppinangadi? That route is much shorter and very less traffic, Dharmastala-Beltangady-GV Kere-Naravi-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:39   #2135
Team-BHP Support

That is very efficient.
Could not believe that you would be in Udupi for Lunch!
That also means the roads are good as you say and that too without trucks!
Old 26th May 2010, 18:46   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic conditions:

Within Bangalore : Moderate
Magadi Road : lot of incoming bus traffic
NH48 : low to very low traffic

Isnt that BC road stretch pretty bad? (half constructed flyover which has been so for years). We had a horrible time passing that toll booth & the BC junction. In general, it was pretty nagging with ugly traffic & the road widening process which is not fully done (few places) from BC road to pumpwell circle when I went couple of weeks back.

Last edited by null : 26th May 2010 at 18:48.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:38   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's a very good speed. Recently I haven't done good speed considering I either travel with kids or via Coorg to check on the Jeep rebuild. Too many breaks.

Why didn't you turn off towards Dharmastala before Uppinangadi? That route is much shorter and very less traffic, Dharmastala-Beltangady-GV Kere-Naravi-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi.
Today, i too had my wife and daughter with me. But as they had not slept well for last 3-4 days because of a (family) wedding in Mumbai, both of them were sleeping most of the trip. That gave me an un-interrupted time during the drive.

Yes, i will try that some other day. I do not want to come through Dharmastala and not visit the temple. This time we wanted to just spend as much time with my parents as possible. Hence preferred direct drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is very efficient.
Could not believe that you would be in Udupi for Lunch!
That also means the roads are good as you say and that too without trucks!
We had a sumptuous lunch at home cooked by my mother. After that I had a long conference call to attend at 2 PM. After this we slept for few hours, woke up and had some ragi dosas with wonderful and fresh chutney.

All thanks to trucks not being around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Isnt that BC road stretch pretty bad? (half constructed flyover which has been so for years). We had a horrible time passing that toll booth & the BC junction. In general, it was pretty nagging with ugly traffic & the road widening process which is not fully done (few places) from BC road to pumpwell circle when I went couple of weeks back.
Yes, we too had to spend appox 10-15 minutes each at Uppinangady and BC road due to traffic condition.

The jeeps and local buses make the life more difficult. they stop at will, overtake at will and turn at will.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:52   #2138
BHPian

Quote:

WOW. This is great new. I am going to Dharmasthala tomorrow morning and was wondering how the state of Shiradi ghat would be after rains in that region.

Any idea whats the state of Charmadi ghat road is? Planning to return on this road.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:14   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The jeeps and local buses make the life more difficult. they stop at will, overtake at will and turn at will.

Not to forget "amby taxis" these guys are the worst they stop in the middle of the road and even on the blind curves!

But this route has improved quiet a lot!
Old 28th May 2010, 11:34   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
There was a strange detour between yediyur and Kunigal, all the vehicles were diverted through some narrow village road for nearly 20Kms.
Samurai, any idea this detour is a temporary one or is it still on ? Am planning to drive to Hassan & back this weekend. Bad road for the 20 kms ?

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 28th May 2010 at 11:47.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:35   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Samurai, any idea this detour is a temporary one or is it still on ? Am planning to drive to Hassan & back this weekend. Bad road for the 20 kms ?
Is this the Kunigal-magadi road ?
I will also be driving in the next week.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:39   #2142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
No, it was because of an accident that happened that day.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:44   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Is this the Kunigal-magadi road ?
I will also be driving in the next week.
Yediyur is on the Kunigal Hassan stretch.

But, since the detour was due to a truck accident, (as mentioned by Addyhemmige and Samurai), things would have come back to normal. I am doing the same stretch on the next weekend

Last edited by mooza : 28th May 2010 at 12:46.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:57   #2144
BHPian

Recently I had been to Mangalore for 2 days. The GHAT section is very much accident prone area. There was a huge traffic to for an accident and above all none of the driver has patient to be on the queue. :(
Old 30th May 2010, 12:12   #2145
Senior - BHPian

created a twitter link to update the road conditions ON THE GO while travelling between Mangalore and Bangalore with many mobiles coming out with ready twitter application, i thought a twitter link would be easy to update while travelling.

https://twitter.com/#/list/recshenoy/art-of-mlr2blr

Thank You,

Most Viewed