Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 20:12   #2431
Senior - BHPian

rohan, Charmadi is in bad condition to, today read in Udayavani that the road has deteriorated a lot and if the road gets bad it makes it difficult to drive.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:40   #2432
Senior - BHPian

My hotel reservation is for JK Towers at Kundapura. So, it is going to be Bangalore to Kundapura. And doing that thru Shimoga.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:16   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lohit, Samurai and other fellow Artisans

I wanted to know the road condition for the following stretch

Sakleshpur-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Karkala-Perdur-Bramhavar(NH17)

anyone has recently travelled on this (or part of this) stretch
Any road/river blocks ?
What is the likely weather report for next weekend (10th -12th sept) ?

Is it necessary to go through Dharmasthala-Ujire or can I bypass them as well and directly go to Karkala on the same route.

i am fairly aware of remaining NH17 as well as BLR to Sakleshpur strech.
The purpose here is to avoid BC Road, Mangalore, Surathkal, Udupi towns and associated traffic

thanks in advance.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st September 2010 at 10:18.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:47   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ampere and Lohit. I hope there are clear signs near the exit to Magadi road.
I think i'll take the Shiradi ghat route. I guess going via Mysore-Madikeri is also a bad option. What say?
Old 1st September 2010, 12:01   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

I wanted to know the road condition for the following stretch

Sakleshpur-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Karkala-Perdur-Bramhavar(NH17)

anyone has recently travelled on this (or part of this) stretch
Any road/river blocks ?
What is the likely weather report for next weekend (10th -12th sept) ?

Is it necessary to go through Dharmasthala-Ujire or can I bypass them as well and directly go to Karkala on the same route.

i am fairly aware of remaining NH17 as well as BLR to Sakleshpur strech.
The purpose here is to avoid BC Road, Mangalore, Surathkal, Udupi towns and associated traffic

thanks in advance.
If you go via Sakleshpur, the only way you can avoid Dharmasthala is by going through Uppinangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala route, otherwise the route you have mentioned is good.

However, if you take the Charmadi ghat route, it is Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Ujire-Karkala and you will bypass Dharmasthala.

Another route is the Kudremukh route. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala. I last went to Kudremukh in July and the road was decent except for a few kms between Javali and Kalasa.

I am not aware of road conditions on the other routes
Old 1st September 2010, 12:11   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Thanks Ampere and Lohit. I hope there are clear signs near the exit to Magadi road.
I think i'll take the Shiradi ghat route. I guess going via Mysore-Madikeri is also a bad option. What say?
Rohan - the exit to Magadi Road is very clearly marked well in advance. Also, I recently did Madikeri - Sampaje stretch and it was pretty bad. Not worth the extra detour. Better stick to NH48.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:18   #2437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Glad to see us artisans getting the due recognition.

I would suggest the Chikmagalur route which I have taken last week. I intend to take it this weekend too.

Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri-perdur-bramavar.

I am unaware of the road condition between perdur-Bramavar, but that's a very small stretch with no major traffic.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:30   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Please rule out Shiradi and charmadi ghats for a low GC car. Kudremukh ghats ( kalasa - Karkala or Sringeri - Karkala ) and agumbe ghats are tried and tested - rough, but drivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Another route is the Kudremukh route. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala.
Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur ( bridge before the town ) - Magundi - Kalasa - kudremukh - Kalasa is another option - though longer than sringeri - agumbe route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri-perdur-bramavar
+1. The best option as of now !

Starvegabond, If unsure of perdur - bramhavara stretch, you could enter manipal and take right after KMC ( in front of petrol bunk ) towards ambagilu on NH17 and proceed to Bramhavara. This way you could avoid udupi town.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:39   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri.
Thanks to samurai, roaming rao, I am taking this route this weekend to reach Kundapur!.

Samurai,
one question Saw Route in google maps, its little confusing near Chikmanglur. Can I trust Google maps?
Old 1st September 2010, 15:57   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Wow artisans!! thanks Star..well you have already got your reply. i NH17 between Udupi and Kundapura is in a decent condition and also traffic is pretty low if you venture this route in non peak hours.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:22   #2441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Samurai,
one question Saw Route in google maps, its little confusing near Chikmanglur. Can I trust Google maps?
If in doubt, just lower the window and ask the direction for the next town. No map is accurate as far as India is concerned.

I have garmin/satguide in my vehicle, yet I am forced to ask all the time.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:25   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Can I trust Google maps?
Echoing what Samurai said, don't trust Gramin, trust the Grameen!

Last edited by hvkumar : 1st September 2010 at 16:26.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:06   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Echoing what Samurai said, don't trust Gramin, trust the Grameen!

Yes, Kumarsaab, this has always worked for me too, whenever I was totally lost due to a total lack of signboards in many places !
Old 1st September 2010, 17:11   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to see us artisans getting the due recognition.

Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri-perdur-bramavar.
it is the duty of normal citizens to recognize the "Articans" and "Craftsman" among them, else the art (=road trips) won't florish and we won't have any history/heritage (=travel experience, pictures etc) which we can showcase.

Thanks for the heads up for the CKM-Sringeri route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you go via Sakleshpur, the only way you can avoid Dharmasthala is by going through Uppinangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala route, otherwise the route you have mentioned is good.

Another route is the Kudremukh route. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala. I last went to Kudremukh in July and the road was decent except for a few kms between Javali and Kalasa.
Thanks addy, now i understand Shiradi is also in not so good condition. I am having a re-thinking about the kudremukh route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Starvegabond, If unsure of perdur - bramhavara stretch, you could enter manipal and take right after KMC ( in front of petrol bunk ) towards ambagilu on NH17 and proceed to Bramhavara. This way you could avoid udupi town.
Yes, I know this route via Manipal. thanks for reminding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Wow artisans!! thanks Star..well you have already got your reply. i NH17 between Udupi and Kundapura is in a decent condition and also traffic is pretty low if you venture this route in non peak hours.
Thanks Lohit, yes more or less i am made up my mind about the route.

Quote:
If in doubt, just lower the window and ask the direction for the next town. No map is accurate as far as India is concerned.
I always do this. having a local language voice assisted interface helps

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st September 2010 at 17:13.
Old 4th September 2010, 19:17   #2445
Senior - BHPian

I came to Mangalore today on NH 48. Took NICE - Magadi route. Road around Kunigal is quite bad too! But the ghat section is terrible. After that, it's not so bad till BC road. Then it is bad again. When is the BC road flyover supposed to get completed? I think the flyovers in bangalore got completed sooner :-D

Most Viewed