Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 00:15   #2461
BHPian

Hi,
I have to visit to Malpe this weekend. Not sure, which route I should take as I am driving a Linea. Is there any way to avoid Mangalore route or the bad road for the trip
Old 10th September 2010, 01:05   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
Hi,
I have to visit to Malpe this weekend. Not sure, which route I should take as I am driving a Linea. Is there any way to avoid Mangalore route or the bad road for the trip
B'lore > Tumkur > Shimoga > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi > Malpe.
Old 10th September 2010, 03:14   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
B'lore > Tumkur > Shimoga > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi > Malpe.
Haven't seen too many recommendations for this route here in the recent past. Are you sure the road conditions on the Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe route is good ?

The most commonly suggested route of late has been Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chickmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi.
Old 10th September 2010, 08:40   #2464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Haven't seen too many recommendations for this route here in the recent past. Are you sure the road conditions on the Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe route is good ?
The reason for that is not the condition of ghat section, but the condition of traffic between Bangalore-Nelamangala. Nobody wants to take that stretch.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:22   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Thanks very much. Now i have two options

1. BLR-Hassan-CKM-Shringeri-Hebri-NH17

we might have some work in Shimoga, hence might drive that route.

anybody who have driven on Shimoga-Thirthhalli-Agumbe route recently ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just practiced the art again today. This time via Chikmagalur. Even this stretch is getting bad. Not as bad as Shiradi, and not concentrated in one place either. There are many stretches that are deteriorating pretty fast, it has been a long monsoon, still raining around here.
I drove CKM-Shringeri-Hebri route on monday. As samurai states road is broken many places. Between Aldur~Balehonnur pretty much bad. Between Srigenri and Agumbe its very bad, it pretty much slowed down me like anything. It continues to be bad after Agumbe to Hebri (after ghats) as well. Ghats some turnings have decent patch, some have nothing! One turn has really good road, gues layed in last year.

I find that Hebri to haladi route is good, but beyond Haladi to Kundapur route via koteshwar broken in many places. One wishing to travel Kundapur to take Basrur-Hunsimakki route.

From kundapur to Kollur anyone is travelling, road till Tallur is pretty worst! From Shartri park to Basrur hole bridge road disappears, at some places mountains appear in between. Roads on most bridges are non-existsant. I have been told that tallur ~ Kollur road is good! But from Kollur to byndoor route seems to be worst.

Road condition between Udupi~ kundapur is also bad after Bramhavara towards Kundapur. There are huge crators near Kota, koteshwara. Road after Bramhvara is very good. Anyone wanting to travel Kollur after Udupi, better try Hebri~Vandse route.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:58   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
J
I looked for a new route from Hassan to Belur out of sheer boredom. This one went via Salgame and Halebeedu. Just avoid it, I was cursing my choice. Cost me at least 30 minutes and had to suffer bad road all along.
I had no idea this road was that bad. I went on it in my father's Linea this April and it was decent. I guess the monsoon must have played it's part. I used to love the drive on this road earlier during my student days.

Btw, this road was being used as an alternative for travellers going to Belur and Chikmagalur as the Belur road was in a pathetic shape then(I'm talking about pre 2003/04 days)
Old 10th September 2010, 20:37   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Avoid entering or exiting Mangalore during peak hours, Bondel junction and Kotara chowki gets to a horrible mess when from all the directions people jump in. and similar thing can be expected in pumpwell circle too..

Adding to this mess is the horrible road! best part you wont even find a traffic cop even if you do he will be alone standing in some corner watching the fun! i know 1 guy wht he can do!

irony is when some vip visits there are 100s of these guys clearing the road, i really wish i was a VIP!
Old 10th September 2010, 20:38   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all BHPians viz. Samurai, Lohith, Sushrutha, Raghuholla who responded to my enquiry on road conditions

Today i drove to my parent's home. I took Yelahanka-Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala-Tumkur Town- NH206 - Shimoga - Tirthhalli - Agumbe - Someshwar - Hebri - Bramhavar - NH17 route.

We started at 4 AM from home and reached Shimoga by 8 AM. 287 KMs were covered in 4 hours avg distance of 71 KMPH. Road condition is very good throughout except some small stretches near Tumkur exit toward NH606, Aarsikere, Tarikere, Bhadravati and within Shimoga town. There are lot many speed breakers between Tumkur to Arsikere which are not marked and appear all of a sudden. There were couple of bursts of small rain in between.

Took a 5 hour 40 minutes break at relative's home (breakfast, small nap, catching up discussions, gauri puja, lunch) and restarted the journey at 13:40 PM.

Reached parents home by 4:35 PM, 148 KMs in ~3 hours @50KMPH.
Road conditions are good throughout except Shimoga exit towards NH13, some stretch between Thirthhalli and Agumbe, near Someshwara, small potholled stretches between Hebri and Bramhavar. It rained from Thirthhalli onwards throughout till we reach the destination.

Total 435KM journey (excluding the long break in between) took just below 7 hours @62KMPH.

It is raining cats and dogs here since evening 6:30 PM onwards.
the town is gearing up to welcome Ganapati tomorrow. Hope the rains does not dampen the sprits.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 10th September 2010 at 20:43.
Old 11th September 2010, 18:49   #2469
BHPian

I am going to return tomorrow from Kundapur, Taking Halady->Hebri-> Agumbe-> Sringeri->Chikkamanglur->Belur->Hasan->Kunigal-> Magadi->Nice Road to Myroad exit!
Will update road conditions once I am back. Hoping that road wound't have gone worst in 5 days! Also since starting early, hoping to avoid most traffic! Hope for the best!
Old 12th September 2010, 23:30   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Did the Kundapur - Bangalore trip yesterday. Came down thru Udipi - Ujire - Chikmangalur - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Nice road off to Mysore road exit.

After the roads that terrorizes you on the route to Ujire and till Belur, the Belur - Hassan stretch is a dream come true! What a road!

Nothing much to write about Hassan to Kunigal, except for the section where the road widening is happening. Watch out for hard to find diversions! With vehicles coming only in full beam from the opposite side, it does get difficult.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:35   #2471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Hebri-> Agumbe-> Sringeri->Chikkamanglur->Belur->Hasan->Kunigal-> Magadi->
I came this route yesterday. This road is getting pretty bad. My body is really sore and hurting, that rarely happens to me.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:40   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Did the Kundapur - Bangalore trip yesterday. Came down thru Udipi - Ujire - Chikmangalur - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Nice road off to Mysore road exit.

After the roads that terrorizes you on the route to Ujire and till Belur, the Belur - Hassan stretch is a dream come true! What a road!
Where were the bad sections?
How much time did you take?
Old 12th September 2010, 23:45   #2473
Senior - BHPian

HVK,

The section before Ujire had really bad surface. Looks like the rain and traffic has made pot holes the norm there.

As for timing, reached home at 2.30am. As per GPS, total distance 440kms, total travel time 9hrs, total driving time 8hrs. Not bad, isnt it.

And thanks a ton, HVK, for the timely advice! Your are a blessing!
Old 13th September 2010, 10:07   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday travelled through Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Shringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Lunigal-Nelamangala route.

Started at 12 noon and reached home 11:15 PM.
Took several breaks for taking pictures, 45 minutes at Badra Coffee House for delayed brunch, 45 minutes at a farm between chikmagaluar and Belur, another 65 minutes break at Kamath Upachar (Udayapura) for dinner. Nelamangala to Home (35KMs) took 1 hour 10 minutes

road conditions are pathetic in the Hassan city (IS it fit to be the ex PM's town ?), Kunigal-Nelamangala (probably due to rains), For the rest of the stretch there are too many pot holes with too much frequency.

Good stretches are Bramhavar-Hebri, Shringeri-Balehonnur, Chikmagalur-Belur-outskirts of Hassan and the other side of Hassan till Kunigal.

This 11 hours 15 minutes journey is one of the longest time i have taken for any 420 KM stretch, thanks to many breaks, bad roads and heavy traffic.

This morning i woke up with sore body and a heavy head-ache.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th September 2010 at 10:14.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:23   #2475
BHPian

Drove from Chikmagalur via Belur, Halebedu, Hasan, did not take the Magadi road (Took it on the way out) came via Neelamangala and found that the road was pretty good all the way less the last stretch of five kms (this to not bad). I made better time coming via Neelamangala then via Magadi-I stay at Whitefield so use the ORR via Hebbal. Roads from CKM to Bangalore was real good less portions between Halebedu-Adugar-Salgame-Hasan, bad in patches but driveable

Most Viewed