Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 23:13   #2656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I sometimes turn off the headlights altogether and use only fog + parking lights if the fog is too dense. It goes without saying that you need to have a check on your speed.
You did this with OE fog lights only? that would illuminate very little. You probably drove very slowly. The OE fog lights have very very small range.

In my Jeep I have driven in thick fog at normal speed, with head lights off, at night. That is only because I have four 55W fogs in the Jeep, won't try that in the Grand Vitara.

Let me post that image again that shows the illumination provided by the custom fogs on my Jeep. See how only the ground is lit, and nothing beyond 20M. Even the bushes after 20M is in darkness. The fog lights are placed to light up only the ground and not what is front of you. That way the fog in front of you is not diffused.

Old 20th October 2010, 00:27   #2657
BHPian

I came back to Bangalore yesterday night via charmadi. Stretch between mudigere to belur is in really bad shape, just like shiradi. However found a short-narrow-twisty road which connects uppinangady (NH48) to Ujire in appx. 30kms. Road was very good, except for about 1km, with least traffic.
Old 20th October 2010, 01:44   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I came back to Bangalore yesterday night via charmadi. Stretch between mudigere to belur is in really bad shape, just like shiradi.
Oh thats bad news looks like mudigere to belur has further deteriorated since the last time i traveled in Sept. When i travelled only a small stretch (around 1 km) after mudigere town (towards Belur) was in bad shape, rest of the stretch was manageable. By the way did u hit bangalore via Nelamangala or Magadi?

[quote=However found a short-narrow-twisty road which connects uppinangady (NH48) to Ujire in appx. 30kms. Road was very good, except for about 1km, with least traffic.[/quote]

Thats good news. This means that we can avoid belthangady completely. Belthangady to BC road is quite a frustrating stretch and looks like we can avoid this route completely by taking a diversion from Ujire. Can you provide us some more details how to locate this diversion when we hit ujire? is it easy to locate?

Thanks for your help!
Old 20th October 2010, 11:35   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Hi Guys,
Im planning for a trip to drive from Bangalore to Mangalore via (stop over) Chikmangalur immediately after Diwali.
I prefer to drive thru Charmadi to mangalore if theses are open!
Any adivise on the routes and road to avoid.
Thanks in advance
Charmadi road is open.. nothing to worry..
Why don't you go through the below thread. This has the latest update on Charmady route.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-178.html
Old 20th October 2010, 11:36   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You did this with OE fog lights only? that would illuminate very little. You probably drove very slowly. The OE fog lights have very very small range.
OE fogs and I don't remember being very slow. May be the fogs are set up differently in my car. They illuminate about 10ft of the road ahead.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:40   #2661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
OE fogs and I don't remember being very slow. May be the fogs are set up differently in my car. They illuminate about 10ft of the road ahead.
10ft is just about the normal OE fogs range. Better not try this at night unless you upgrade the fog lights.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:05   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
This has the latest update on Charmady route.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-178.html
Sushrutha - when i am clicking on the link its getting me to the same page. I am missing something here?
Old 20th October 2010, 12:19   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
10ft is just about the normal OE fogs range. Better not try this at night unless you upgrade the fog lights.
I agree. It may not be good to advise turning off the lights altogether.

However, I never go faster than visibility + reaction time permit me. So at times I am more comfortable with only fogs on. Moreover, I don't drive for too long without main lights, and keep flashing the headlights whenever in doubt.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:37   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Any Updates on the the NH17?

Team ,

I am planning to drive from Mangalore to Panaji /Ganpatiphule on the NH17.Wanted to know if anyone of us has updates on the status of the craters on this road.Heard from Samurai that its still raining in DK

Cheers,

Satya
Old 20th October 2010, 12:51   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Satya,

BC road to Mangalore is mostly good, padil to bondur junction it gets bad in some stretches but manageable. Kotara chowki to nathur bridge its bit bad then its ok till Mulky there are some bad patches but most of the big once are filled. udupi bypass till barkur again you have some patches which again is getting filled....

I can say till kundapura its fine there after no idea, a month back bhatkal stretch was very bad itseems but most likely it might be temporarily fixed too...
Old 20th October 2010, 14:15   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Team ,

I am planning to drive from Mangalore to Panaji /Ganpatiphule on the NH17.Wanted to know if anyone of us has updates on the status of the craters on this road.Heard from Samurai that its still raining in DK

Cheers,

Satya
Check the details of Bhaktal in the following post of MX6 in another thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2104876

Post that roads are mostly ok till GPL.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:02   #2667
BHPian

Thansk to Modertor for moving my query to the right thread. I dont know how I missed this thread.. May be Im not good @ searching in T-BHP.
But this thread is awesome and has answerd to all the Queries and much more...
Thanks for all the BHPians...

Last year my bro and I drove from Bangalore to Mangalore. we were planning to reach mangalroe thru Charmadi ghats and went to Kemmanagundi, this was in May/June and we were told that route to MLR thru Charmadi was closed and hence we had to drive back to NH48.
hence this time I would like to drive to mangalore thru Charmadi and avoid Shiradi ghats.

Thanks
Sreeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Sushrutha - when i am clicking on the link its getting me to the same page. I am missing something here?
Hi Lazybrain,
I had posted a query on another thread and sushruta has replied and referred to this link.
However I take a guess moderator has moved my query as well as the reply to this thred.
Hope this answers your query!

Also I read your post that you intend to drive to Mangalore on 31st October which is about a week before I plan to take same route, so please do feedback us on your road trip which will be most useful to me...
Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

cheers

Last edited by Samurai : 20th October 2010 at 17:16. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 20th October 2010, 16:43   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Also I read your post that you intend to drive to Mangalore on 31st October which is about a week before I plan to take same route, so please do feedback us on your road trip which will be most useful to me...
Have a safe and enjoyable trip! cheers
Sure Sriny_blr. Not only will i update you guys on my road trip this time but also try to post some pics on current fog status of Charmadi ghat (I hope i will not get fog this time when i drive) - Planning to start at 4:30 AM in the morning of 31st October. I love driving at this time since you reach the destination soon.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:09   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips about the fog driving. Can the OE fog lamps be upgraded? I have upgraded the Stock headlamps with a philips 100/90 lamps with a relay.

If the fog lamps have to be upgraded, then can the same headlamp relay be used or do i need to install a separate relay for this ?
Old 20th October 2010, 17:21   #2670
Team-BHP Support

Such technical queries are better suited for this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ting-here.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks