Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 12:51   #2716
BHPian

Guys I am really confused with mixed feedback from different members for road conditions between Bangalore - Nelamangala -Kunigal. pics on the recent status would be surely helpful. I am now in two minds - Don't feel like taking Magadi road since i exactly know how bad the route is especially around Magadi town and at the same time don't have courage to take Nelamangala route after seeing different feedbacks.

FYI - After 2008 i never took Nelamangala route till date.

Last edited by lazybrain : 26th October 2010 at 12:54.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:48   #2717
Senior - BHPian

I guess it all depends on the time you take this stretch(nelamangala-kunigal)

I travelled on 11th oct and i covered this during 3-4 during afternoon so the traffic was definitely less compared to the peak hour. but the roads are narrow as you enter and exit kunigal.

I wouldnt say there will be a jam or anything but the traffic can pile up and it can slow you down considerably unless you time it right. But i guess it is worth taking as compared to Magadi(unless you live somewhere near magadi road)

@LazyBrain - Yashwanthpur to Nelamangala is in great shape now thanks to the toll road(and it was free too,abt a week back) Nelamangala to kunigal is about 30-40 km in which work is in progress, rest of the stretch is in good shape. With little bit of timing calculation i am sure you can beat the traffic

What other options do you have ? unless you want to travel towards kundapur or puttur side, shiradi is a better bet i guess.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 26th October 2010 at 13:53.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:25   #2718
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thinking of a different route for the next trip.

Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Manipal, Karnataka 576104 - Google Maps

Any idea about the road conditions between Chikmagalur and Bangalore?
Samurai san, The road is good till Banavara, but near Arsikere it is average. Banvara to Sakkarepatna is narrow and average. Expect lot of cows and sheeps on this road and a level crossing near which the road is simply bad. Sakkarepatna to Chickmagalur is Good.

Last edited by MCR : 26th October 2010 at 14:26.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:09   #2719
Team-BHP Support

A question:

Where does the Kudremukh road hit Sringeri-Karkala road.
Does it hit at Karkala or somewhere between Agumbe and Karkala?

I noted that all maps viz. Google, MMI and Satguide are not correct in this region.
Maps show NH13 touching Sringeri which again is not right.

Last edited by ampere : 26th October 2010 at 15:10.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:25   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
Thanks uvmallya - I am planning to take this route for a Bangalore - Mangalore trip this weekend (October 30th).I will update this thread with my experience.
How is the stretch between Kushalnagar and Madikeri ( is was horrible a year back) ? and how long did the Mangalore- Bangalore journey take ?

-Suhas
Kushalnagar to Madikeri is excellent. The road inside Kushalnagar town is very bad and so also as you enter Madikeri town. The driving time from Hebbal in Bangalore to Mangalore was 7 hours & 45 minutes. Hebbal to Kengeri took a little more time because of the traffic that you have to encounter.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:39   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Kushalnagar to Madikeri was horrible due to those raised portions of the road last year.. Now the roads are just too good(barring the kushal nagar city) so once you leave the city, roads are wonderful till about 1-2km from Madikeri
Old 26th October 2010, 22:06   #2722
BHPian

Came back yesterday from Blr-Subramanya-Dharmastala-Udupi-agumbe-teerthahalli-shimoga-Blr.

Blr-mysore-madikeri-subramanya - the roads uptill madikeri is good. from madikeri to sulya the ghat road is a little bad. there is a right turn to subramanya some 12 kms before sulya and that road is good, but very narrow.

subramanya-dharamstala-udupi - the road is good.

udupi-agumbe-teerthahalli-shimoga - roads are good.

shimoga-blr - road is almost good. very bad patch fro about 2 kms before berur and some bad patches here and there.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:19   #2723
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I am intending to drive to Sringeri, Horanadu & Dharmasthala over the coming weekend.

Would like to have a feedback from fellow Bhpians regarding the following stretches :

1) Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri
2) Sringeri-Kudremukh-Kalasa-Horanadu
3) Kalasa-Kudremukh-Bajagoli-Guruvayankere-Ujire-Dharmasthala

Tentative Programme Schedule :

Intend leaving BLR on friday evening & halt @ HSN. Leave HSN on Saturday morning for Sringeri via CKM and after Darshan & Prasadam proceed to Kalasa / Horanadu. Have Darshan & prasadam & stay in Horanadu / Kalasa as per accomodation available.

Next day ( Sunday) morning leave Horanadu & proceed to Dharmasthala. Have Darshan & lunch and then return to Hassan by Sunday evening.

Monday, leave Hassan after lunch and return to Bangalore by evening.

Any suggestions regarding the above will be greatly appreciated.

Mode of travel : Wagon-R Vxi
Old 27th October 2010, 15:59   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The drive from Kunigal to Nelamangala is terrible thanks to construction work, reminded me of Mangalore-Suratkal stretch in 2007. In the darkness I could barely make out the diversions, needed to follow the buses few times.
Is this stretch worst or more frustrating than bad roads around Magadi town? I know its not fair to compare both since both stretches have different reasons for being bad. However, I would like to analyze whether driving from Nelamangala to Kunigal is less frustrating than driving on bad roads around magadi town only then IMO its worth taking Nelamangala route as of now.

I constantly drive via magadi from past 1 year - except the stretch from sunkadkatte market to NICE road Junction (still bearable) and stretch around Magadi town (unbearable) the entire route until you hit NH48 is good.

your suggestions please?
Old 27th October 2010, 17:22   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Is this stretch worst or more frustrating than bad roads around Magadi town?
Do note that Samurai seems to have traveled during night time.

In my case it was broad day light and also less traffic time(3-4 PM) so it took me usual 40 odd mins to cover this distance.

i feel it is reasonable to spend 40 odd mins to cover 40 kms
Old 28th October 2010, 10:23   #2726
BHPian

@nutmello... what is the source of the information...

I am taking this route tomorrow. i guess the road should be open
Old 28th October 2010, 10:40   #2727
BHPian

Anyone got updates on road conditions on madikeri-Kasargodu route?
Old 28th October 2010, 11:13   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Is this stretch worst or more frustrating than bad roads around Magadi town? I
If I consider the erratic bus dirivers + number of 2 wheelers riding in their own world + Magadi town potholes + Sunkadakatte road,
I would say Kunigal - Nelmangala stretch is better than Magadi road, based on the above points. Though Kunigal-Nelmangala stretch has too many Road humps , but quite Managable
Old 28th October 2010, 12:07   #2729
Senior - BHPian

I would take Magadi road before 7am anything beyond this time will get will be a big chance especially on a weekday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If I consider the erratic bus dirivers + number of 2 wheelers riding in their own world + Magadi town potholes + Sunkadakatte road,
I would say Kunigal - Nelmangala stretch is better than Magadi road, based on the above points. Though Kunigal-Nelmangala stretch has too many Road humps , but quite Managable
Old 28th October 2010, 13:44   #2730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I completely agree with you. Its been more than 5 months that I have been taking the Nelemangala-Kunigal stretch to go to Belur and Chikmagalur and I can say that except for the huge speedbreakers there should be no other reason to worry. The road condition in and around Magadi town and the fact that we had a 6 month baby waking up from her peaceful sleep made me try Nelemangala once and from then I've stuck to it.

On weekends during return the best thing is when most of the traffic in the mirror takes a right Turn after Kunigal and its a peaceful drive all the way further till Nelemangala (and now till NICE as well).

Now that the bridges past NICE are all functional, it just takes 12-15 minutes to reach Nelemangala from NICE exit and another 30-40 minutes to reach Kunigal town.

The 4 laning which is under construction is wide enough offers a smooth ride as well. Bottlenecks in terms of speedbreakers exists only in Yentaganahalli and Yediyur Cross. The ordeal of passing over the bad patches of Kunigal town cannot be escaped even using the Magadi Road. However, 2 weeks before I could see patch work being done to this stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks