Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 14:13   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
IIRC, Hanbal - Mudigere stretch has been bad / worse for quite some time. I think Addy had mentioned about this about 7-8 months back.
How did you manage with your OHC ?
Yeah Rajesh, that road has been literally dug everywhere.
Thanks to my Brother's Ritz ... We travelled in his car. If I had taken my OHC in this road it would have been definetely doomsday for sure
Quote:
Coming to shiradi, you have mentioned the roads have been levelled using a JCB. can the smaller hatches cover the stretch more easily now ?
Yes, except for some stretches where the potholes still exist.
I saw many sedan n small cars travelling in this road.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:15   #2807
BHPian

We are planning a 7 day trip of coastal karnataka along with Dharmasthala and Kukke in our i10. I am looking for driving directions from Bangalore to Kukke. Important consideration to select a route is the road condition. From multiple posts I understand that the Shiradi ghat route is still in very bad condition.

Can someone suggest alternate routes along with the detailed driving directions
Old 1st December 2010, 13:53   #2808
BHPian

@DaisyB:
Probable route would be BLR-MAGADI-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-Mudigere-Charmadi Ghat-Ujre-DSL-Kukke. This the only route possible now since Sampaje road is under repair and Shiradi is a mess. Hopefully, 90% of the roads would be good.

Any updates from other bhpians?
Old 1st December 2010, 15:01   #2809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@DaisyB:
Probable route would be BLR-MAGADI-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-Mudigere-Charmadi Ghat-Ujre-DSL-Kukke. This the only route possible now since Sampaje road is under repair and Shiradi is a mess. Hopefully, 90% of the roads would be good.

Any updates from other bhpians?
You can also divert from Belur, hit Gonibedu and hit Mudigere. You can save about 25 Km. Road I think is decent.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:25   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can also divert from Belur, hit Gonibedu and hit Mudigere. You can save about 25 Km. Road I think is decent.
Belur - Mudigere via Gonibeedu was in shambles, on present condition, maybe sushrutha can clarify. can take alternate route via Gendehalli. Fairly decent single road.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:34   #2811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, why would one want to go to CKM when the places to cover are Charmadi, Ujire and then on?

From Belur, take the route to Mudigere and preferably the route via Gendehally as it is in a better condition.

The distance from Belur to Mudigere either via Gendehally or Cheekanahally-Gonibeedu is almost the same (35-37kms).

The only advantage of taking the Cheekanahally-Gonibeedu to reach Mudigere is that without entering the town you can continue towards Kottigehara-Charmadi from the Mudigere Handpost whereas in case of Gendehally route one must enter the town near the Bus Stand and traverse almost 4 Kms to touch the same Handpost and take a right towards Kottigehara.

However, for the present condition of the road via Gonibeedu, best would be to take the Gendehally route.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:02   #2812
BHPian

Madikeri to Mangalore

Hi, I would driving from Madikeri to Mangalore in the last week of December. Does anyone have information as to whether the Sulya route would be opened by then (saw in other posts that its closed from 1st December)? If it is closed, what would be the other option towards Mangalore?

Thanks,
NMA
Old 1st December 2010, 16:38   #2813
Senior - BHPian

daisyb, Shiradi is not impossible its going to be a bit tiring and time consuming but via nh48 - shiradi-gundia will be the easiest, yes for people who have seen this stretch for the first time it is a pure nightmare

three days back my brother took this route in his Astra and dint find it hard, infact made it to Mlore in about 7hours...
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:33   #2814
BHPian

Lothithrao, Thanks for the info. We have a 7 day travelling (around 2000+ kms) to do using this car. Hence have to save the tyres . I am looking at best possible roads as far as it is possible
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:43   #2815
BANNED

Hi, I would be driving in last week December to Bangalore - Shrawanbelgola - Hassan - Mangalore - Coorg - Mysore - Bangalore.

I am planning to take a Shiradi route is it safe to take that route?

The first holt I am planning is in Hassan - Can somebody suggest me a good place to stay

How is Mangalore - Coorg road

Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:03   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Well diasy, am sure your tyres wont have any issues just need to be relaxed and dont be in hurry..

btw OT have notice many people typing my name as "LoTHi.." guess there is some serious "usability" issue with my name when it comes to typing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Lothithrao, Thanks for the info. We have a 7 day travelling (around 2000+ kms) to do using this car. Hence have to save the tyres . I am looking at best possible roads as far as it is possible
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:23   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
@sushrutha,

I remember HVK mentioning about the folks being stopped on Kadur road and the CKM-Lingadahalli road. Later he clarified they dont harm any travellers and its more of a local problem. Hence I was suggesting not to travel at night.

But I think I have heard folks saying there are naxal elements around Kadur. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I've done this route many times and have never had any issues.As Sushrutha mentioned,it might have been the locals collecting donations for some community functions.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:30   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Hi, I would be driving in last week December to Bangalore - Shrawanbelgola - Hassan - Mangalore - Coorg - Mysore - Bangalore.

I am planning to take a Shiradi route is it safe to take that route?

The first holt I am planning is in Hassan - Can somebody suggest me a good place to stay

How is Mangalore - Coorg road

Thanks
Shiradi ghat is as safe as any major highway in the state. The only problem is with the road conditions. I'm sure you would have got a bird's eye view of the state of the road by just reading a few posts on this thread. In Hassan, you can stay at 1. Hotel Southern Star 2. Hotel Suvarna Regency 3. Hotel Jewel Rock 4. Hotel Sri Krishna 5. Hotel Hassan Asshok. I would recommend Hotel Southern Star although it is a bit expensive. Hotel Asshok is the most expensive one.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:02   #2819
BANNED

Quote:
Shiradi ghat is as safe as any major highway in the state. The only problem is with the road conditions. I'm sure you would have got a bird's eye view of the state of the road by just reading a few posts on this thread. In Hassan, you can stay at 1. Hotel Southern Star 2. Hotel Suvarna Regency 3. Hotel Jewel Rock 4. Hotel Sri Krishna 5. Hotel Hassan Asshok. I would recommend Hotel Southern Star although it is a bit expensive. Hotel Asshok is the most expensive one.
Thanks Addyhemmige for the spot-on information
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:54   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well diasy, am sure your tyres wont have any issues just need to be relaxed and dont be in hurry..

btw OT have notice many people typing my name as "LoTHi.." guess there is some serious "usability" issue with my name when it comes to typing it
When there are better routes although the distance might be longer, I would prefer to use them.

Sorry to have pronounces your name wrong .

Most Viewed