Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:20   #2821
Senior - BHPian

daisyb, not an issue

On the route i would prefer Charmadi or Madikeri if i want to avoid shiradi and if i want to keep up time. if am not concerned about time and wants some scenic route then it is Kalsa-Hornadu-sk border...
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:27   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
daisyb, not an issue

On the route i would prefer Charmadi or Madikeri if i want to avoid shiradi and if i want to keep up time. if am not concerned about time and wants some scenic route then it is Kalsa-Hornadu-sk border...
Thanks Lohith. This time I pronounced it right

Charmadi - Can you detail out the route and what will be the total distance.

Someone said in this post even Madikeri route near Sampage is not good. What is the stretch (app kms) that is not good. Anyone, any idea
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:26   #2823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hotel Asshok is the most expensive one.
When I last enquired, more than an year back, the starting price quoted was 3.3K for Hassan Ashok.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:17   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
When I last enquired, more than an year back, the starting price quoted was 3.3K for Hassan Ashok.
If you want more luxurious one, there is Hoysala resort in belur road, 10 kms from hassan. Prices start from 4.5k.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:58   #2825
Senior - BHPian

daisyb you can take the below route:
Blore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Chanarayapatna - Hassana - Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere- Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala

On the bad roads, i guess which ever route you take you will come across a stretch of bad roads, thanks to the heavy rains and shabby road work.

On Madikeri route Sampaje ghat is where i think the road gets a bit rough this is been the case for a long time now.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:25   #2826
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha
If you want more luxurious one, there is Hoysala resort in belur road, 10 kms from hassan. Prices start from 4.5k.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:29   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Kottara chowki flyover un-officially opened for public

OT,

ahh finally this flyover is done and i must say in matter of months this work is done, that says if the authorities want they can do it.

however the design is a flop again, this over bridge is meant fo nh users only and if anyone wants to get to mangalore city then they need to take the opposite lane and the go via under-bridge which is a pain and risky.

However am happy that its going to be easy on the commuters, even the nanthor bridge work is catching pace, hope surthkal gets done too...
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:17   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
daisyb you can take the below route:
Blore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Chanarayapatna - Hassana - Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere- Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala
What is the best routing from kottigehara to horanadu? Tomorrow, am starting in the early hours towards horanadu.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:36   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is the best routing from kottigehara to horanadu? Tomorrow, am starting in the early hours towards horanadu.
From Kottigehara, there are 2 routes to Horanadu, via Kalasa and via Magundi. The road via Kalasa was good when I went there in September. But I have no idea about the Magundi road. The Magundi route might be a little longer.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:39   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
From Kottigehara, there are 2 routes to Horanadu, via Kalasa and via Magundi. The road via Kalasa was good when I went there in September. But I have no idea about the Magundi road. The Magundi route might be a little longer.
Both routes from Kottigehara to Horanadu go via Kalasa. The shorter route ( 39 kms ) Kottigehara - Ukkada - Javali - Kelagur estate - Hirebail - Gangankudige - Kalasa could be rough after monsoon ( was relaid in May 2010 ). To take this route, turn left at ukkada ( 5 kms from kottigehara ). There is a prominent board.

The longer route ( 48 Kms ), Kottigehara - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa is less travelled and is a better road. For this route, proceed straight at ukkada.

Roads on both routes are narrow without much facilities, may also seem long and boring for some. relax, enjoy the coffee estates along the road.

Kalasa - Horanadu ( 13 kms ) : be aware of steep curves and unruly maxi cabs.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:55   #2831
BHPian

Guys - Any news on the repair status of Shiradi ghat section? when are they planning to take up the repair work? Last I heard was Karnataka govt. had borrowed Rs. 1500 Crores for highway development from Asian Development Bank.

The karnataka govt. has put across 20 proposals for repairing various state highways and centre does not seem to show any commitment to repair Shiradi Ghats . Dont know how far its true.

Any latest news on the repair work status of shiradi ghat would be helpful and highly appreciated!!

Last edited by lazybrain : 3rd December 2010 at 14:57.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:12   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. From what i knew all the roads to Hornadu from Kottigehara should go via Kalasa. Usually used to take 3 hours for the 100 odd kms from the fork after Sakleshpur until Hornadu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Both routes from Kottigehara to Horanadu go via Kalasa. The shorter route ( 39 kms ) Kottigehara - Ukkada - Javali - Kelagur estate - Hirebail - Gangankudige - Kalasa could be rough after monsoon ( was relaid in May 2010 ). To take this route, turn left at ukkada ( 5 kms from kottigehara ). There is a prominent board.

The longer route ( 48 Kms ), Kottigehara - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa is less travelled and is a better road. For this route, proceed straight at ukkada.

Roads on both routes are narrow without much facilities, may also seem long and boring for some. relax, enjoy the coffee estates along the road.

Hope this helps.
Yes it helps. I shall look out for 'Ukkada' junction and shall try the Magundi route. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:27   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take Kottigehara-Javali- Kalasa-Hornadu. Newly laid tar road as of November.
Quote:
The road via Kalasa was good when I went there in September. .
It's fantastic as of now. Chk my post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2128045

Quote:
I agree, it's just 1km before Hornadu. those are really unscientific road humps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Guys - Any news on the repair status of Shiradi ghat section? when are they planning to take up the repair work?
No progress as of now. Rain has to subside for the work to begin.
Chk my post for the latest update
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2156317
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:20   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't there a diversion somewhere before Kalasa to Horanadu on the Magundi-Kalasa road? I vaguely remember seeing a board.

Quote:
Yes it helps. I shall look out for 'Ukkada' junction and shall try the Magundi route. Thanks.
There is a board saying Balur Estate at this junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Take Kottigehara-Javali- Kalasa-Hornadu. Newly laid tar road as of November.
Have the rough stretches between Hirebailu and Kalasa been relaid?
Old 6th December 2010, 10:05   #2835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have the rough stretches between Hirebailu and Kalasa been relaid?
Yes. Fully relaid, hope it remains the same after next monsoon :-)

So back from Native,
Updates.

Now it's almost a breeze to drive from Nelmangala-Kunigal, most of the road humps have been removed and many diversions too.
Today I hardly took an hour to reach my office @ Lavelle Road from Nelmangala, the only road block was the Yeshwanthpur Rly station, where the road is too narrow.

Magadi Town road surface has been slightly flattened, huge potholes have been flattened, still it's a rough road from Magadi Entrance to Exit.

Aldur - Balehonnur, the road is deteriorating quite fastly due to Rains.
Aldur - Sangameshwara Pete stretch is bad, from thereon till Balehonnur is in Good condition

Most Viewed