Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 16:31   #2851
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is the Sampaje Ghat closed? Can we get some confirmation on this?
10 days ago, it was open. One lane was completely closed - work going on in the other - and all vehicles were using one lane. This was beyond the previously-announced road closure date.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:18   #2852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
10 days ago, it was open. One lane was completely closed - work going on in the other - and all vehicles were using one lane. This was beyond the previously-announced road closure date.
We are planning to go to Kukke from Bangalore through Sampaje route via Madekiri next week. Will the road be closed :(?
Old 9th December 2010, 18:19   #2853
BHPian

I am trying to avoid Shiradi Ghat to go to Kukke. If Sampaje road is also closed, what other route do I have to Kukke from Bangalore
Old 10th December 2010, 10:32   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
When have they started this work? Have they started chopping trees between CR Patna and Hassan?
As of last Monday, they haven't started felling of trees.
My concern is when travelling from CRPatna - Hassan, how are they going to Manage the uphill road(Where there is Stone crusher) just before the Hassan Agricultural University. Will they plan an alternative route / Chop off the hill ?? .Remember this is the steepest uphill road between BLR-Hassan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
I am trying to avoid Shiradi Ghat to go to Kukke. If Sampaje road is also closed, what other route do I have to Kukke from Bangalore
If that's the case, then you are left with BISLE Ghat.... Shiradi Ghat is better than Bisle(Narrow road + too much of potholes).

Else the longer route - BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-DHARMASTHALA-GUNDYA-KUKKE. Road is in fairly good condition.
But this route will be longer by atleast 100kms.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:01   #2855
BHPian

The flyover from Goraguntepalya / Ring road junction to Kennametal widia factory / 9th mile is open to traffic from today. This may be on a trial basis as the formal inauguration ( was expected in aug 2010 ! ) of the toll road maybe sometime soon ( the service roads are being cleaned, median / shoulders painted and barricades are being erected )

we can now expect a 15 min drive from Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala !!!

Last edited by roamingrao : 10th December 2010 at 16:05.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:09   #2856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
we can now expect a 15 min drive from Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala !!!
Oh, that's really nice! Will try that next week as I return to Bangalore.
Old 10th December 2010, 19:54   #2857
BHPian

Re: 2nd phase of 4 laning on...

Quote:
When have they started this work? Have they started chopping trees between CR Patna and Hassan?
Tree chopping has not started, just the weeding of shoulders. You can see a lot of JCBs working & also some NHAI workmen sporting reflective jackets. This work is also being done between Hassan & Sakleshpur which is surprising, as the second phase is supposed to be between Devihalli & Hassan only.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:38   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Sampaje Ghat closed? Can we get some confirmation on this?
Going from Bangalore to Kukke on 18th Dec. Is there a way to find out if this is closed, before we start. After we reach Sampaje, if we find that the road is closed, is there an alternate route to Kukke
Old 13th December 2010, 13:39   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing on paper yet. I have a Coorgee employee who regularly takes this route, he heard it in Coorg. It is supposedly closing on Dec 1st.

Next option is Bisle ghat, for the stout hearted that is... However, I think most will travel further up to Kodlipet, Gonibeedu and hit the Shiradi ghat instead.
Looking desperately about the closure of this route. planning a trip to Kukke from Bangalore via Madekeri on 18th Dec. Any info?
Old 13th December 2010, 16:31   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Going from Bangalore to Kukke on 18th Dec. Is there a way to find out if this is closed, before we start. After we reach Sampaje, if we find that the road is closed, is there an alternate route to Kukke
If the Sampaje route is closed, then you can try the following options. You will need to reach Madikeri and then Somwarpet for the alternate routes.

1. Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shantalli-Kundalli (right fork)-Handalli Kudige (take left to Bisle)-Bisle-Kukke. This route is decent upto Handalli Kudige, after that i'd suggest only SUVs. This is not at all recommended for a night drive.

2. Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsante-Kodlipet-Shukravarasante-Donigal-NH48 (take left)-Gundya-Kukke. This is the Shiradi ghat route. You must have known the road conditions by now.

Route 1 is shorter, but the roads are very very bad. Also, there will be almost no traffic on the Bisle stretch.
Old 14th December 2010, 00:22   #2861
Team-BHP Support

Got some info from a local about the Sampaje. It will be closed from 20th for bus/truck traffic only. Private vehicles can continue to travel on the road. This is an unofficial word.

BTW, just spent the best 15 bucks of toll fee today. I had to travel to Bangalore today in a hurry. I left Manipal at 3:30PM and reached home at 11:50PM. That's my fastest timing for coming back to Bangalore. Enabled only because of Nelamangala-ORR Flyover. The entire stretch was open and they have started collecting toll, just 15 bucks, which I feel is very reasonable considering the length of the flyover and the traffic we get to avoid.
Old 14th December 2010, 10:12   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Got some info from a local about the Sampaje. It will be closed from 20th for bus/truck traffic only. Private vehicles can continue to travel on the road. This is an unofficial word.
Thanks for the information Samurai
Old 15th December 2010, 14:03   #2863
BHPian

Re: Sakleshpur - Kottigehara.

How is the road after sakleshpur town(3 Kms after the town) which leads to kottigehara? I am planning to take this for my drive towards charmady ghat morrow.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:48   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is the road after sakleshpur town(3 Kms after the town) which leads to kottigehara? I am planning to take this for my drive towards charmady ghat morrow.
This road is the Hanbal-Mudigere road. IIRC, sushrutha had recently travelled on this road and had reported that it was in very bad shape. This joins the regular Belur-Mudigere road at Jannapura.

To reach Kottigehara, better take the Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara route.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:52   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
This road is the Hanbal-Mudigere road. IIRC, sushrutha had recently travelled on this road and had reported that it was in very bad shape. This joins the regular Belur-Mudigere road at Jannapura.

To reach Kottigehara, better take the Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara route.
The pain of taking this route is about traversing the bad roads of hassan town. Is there any other way to get into the belur road from NH48?

Most Viewed