Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 15:57   #2911
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Which route did you take to join the Bisle ghat road? Did you go via Somwarpet-Kundalli?
Yes, that was the route.
Old 26th December 2010, 23:57   #2912
BHPian

Today afternoon Shiradi ghat was closed due to accident.
So there was a huge trafic in charmadi ghat road.
Anybody knows is the ghat road cleared ?
Old 27th December 2010, 11:13   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So Bisle we took, and was pleasantly surprised.
Oops I just missed it out. Wanted to try Bisle ghats last week, but was advised from many locals @ Kukke not to take the route, by the way car was I20.

Aren't busses(KSRTC) allowed to take the Yeshwanthpura-Nelmangala Flyover?
For a change , Today morning I took Mercedes coach from CKM - BLR, but the bus didn't go through the flyover.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:22   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Today afternoon Shiradi ghat was closed due to accident.
So there was a huge trafic in charmadi ghat road.
Anybody knows is the ghat road cleared ?
As far as i know, there was no accident. The road block was most probably due to the Volvo tractor-trailer combo. that was carrying a huge industrial chamber/flange, and which had broken the sides of the bridge while negotiating a turn, also damaging itself. They were trying to clear it, or move it into another trailer, i guess. curiously, the jam was before Gundya, and not at the actual site of breakdown. Anyways, the wait time was only about 20 mins., atleast from the time i joined the waiting crowd of vehicles, which was at about 430pm or so.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:38   #2915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
As far as i know, there was no accident. The road block was most probably due to the Volvo tractor-trailer combo. that was carrying a huge industrial chamber/flange, and which had broken the sides of the bridge while negotiating a turn, also damaging itself. They were trying to clear it, or move it into another trailer, i guess. curiously, the jam was before Gundya, and not at the actual site of breakdown. Anyways, the wait time was only about 20 mins., atleast from the time i joined the waiting crowd of vehicles, which was at about 430pm or so.
I have put the pics of the accident. Are you talking abt the same accident ?
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2225.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2224.jpg
If yes , then this accident did happen more than a week back.
Not to forget, there was one more TRUCK(Volvo) with the same Configuration stopped before HASSAN, 2 days back waiting to be transported to MLR, since a week(this was waiting for almost a week :-).
Old 27th December 2010, 12:22   #2916
BHPian

I did Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Thirthahalli -> Hebri -> Halladi -> Manipal -> Mangalore -> Bangalore from 23rd to 26th.

I live in JP Nagar 7th phase in Brigade Gardenia. It used to be a pain to get to Nelamangala. Now I have to travel just 6 KMs on Bannerghatta road. After that its NICE road and new Tumkur road to get to Nelamangala. Such a relief.

Nelamangala to Shimoga is again a smooth ride. No traffic as usual. Watch out for very small bad stretches. But nothing to worry about.

Here is the break down from Shimoga to Manipal

Shimoga -> Thirthahalli 60KM's of breeze. Again watch out for a couple of places where roads are dug up.

Thirthahalli - Agumbe 30KMs. 15KMs good road. Last 15KMs is a bumpy ride.

Agumbe ghat -> Cant go fast in any case. A tip for People with KA 0x number plate. In ghats "give way to ascending vehicles". Faced a few issues with a couple of Bangalore cars trying to block small trucks/busses which were on their way up. Ghat roads are bad and good at some places. Its a small ghat in any case.

Someshwar -> Manipal. Approximately 50KMs. Narrow road. Pretty bumpy at places. But easily motorable.

Manipal -> Mangalore. NH is pretty good.

Mangalore -> BC Road -> Belthangady -> Ujire -> Charmadi ghat -> Belur -> Hasan -> Bangalore

Some bad patches. Ghat is ok for the most part. Roads get pretty nasty at some curves. Again people in ghats "give way to ascending vehicles". Mudigere to Belur was pathetic.

Started from Mangalore at 2:15PM. Was home at JP Nagar 7th phase by 11:!5 with a few breaks. I did avoid driving beyond 85kmph
Old 27th December 2010, 12:26   #2917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Aren't busses(KSRTC) allowed to take the Yeshwanthpura-Nelmangala Flyover?
For a change , Today morning I took Mercedes coach from CKM - BLR, but the bus didn't go through the flyover.
Even I was wondering about this. Last week, I saw only a couple of buses coming from Hubli using the toll road. All other KSRTC buses are using the service road. Most private buses are taking the toll road though.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:21   #2918
BHPian

I did Blore -> Mlore on Friday (24th Dec).

I took route: Yeshwantpur -> Nelmangala Flyover -> Kunigal -> Bellur -> Shravanbelgoda -> Chanarayapatna -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Siradi Ghat -> Uppinangadi - > BC Road -> Mlore

Few points:

- From Peenya to Half way Kunigal road was very very foggy (8-10AM)

-I missed the right for Mlore on Toll way. Took a U-turn, filled petrol at BP Station there, went under the toll way and took right for Mlore

-From Nelmangala, road has diversions till Kunigal. One can speed, however be carefull of diversions, fog and traffic coming on opp direction.

-Kunigal road is OK OK. Be carefull abt pot-holes. 80kmph is ideal.

-Bellur -> Shravanbelgoda is great. Be careful of people laying husk/etc on road for drying. We spent 3 hrs including snacks.

-Road till Sakleshpur is good. Easily 80-90kmph doable. However again look out for pot holes.

-Siradi ghat is pathetic at turns. Very few good patches. This bad road is almost 25-30kms. We took 1.5hrs to clear this. 5-10kms once you cross checkpost after Siradi ghat, road is excellent till BC Road.

-BC Road few bad patches till you hit the new 4-lane highway. Road is great till Mlore, however there are diversions and those diversions are bad.

I have GPX of my route, let me know if anyone wants it.

It took me 10:30hrs including 1 tea break, 1 snack break, 1 lunch break, 2 tea breaks and 2 hrs at Shravanbelgoda.

I was driving my Zen with 4 passengers and were not in any hurry.

I saw many cars including swift, wagon R, indica scrape bottoms in Siradi ghat and BC Road diversions. I was lucky enough not to scrape bottom nor hit a pot hole

I was following one team-bhp white swift from Uppinangady to Mlore Padil.

One brand new Dzire overtook me in Bellur. I was just taking to my folks that, these guys are driving so fast, they overtook me and disappeared! However just after 2 turns I see this white Dzire head-on collision with Maruti VAN!! None hurt bad but Van front was destroyed and Dize just bonnet area. Dize guy came out of car and helping the van guy out. Lots of village folks also came to rescue.

Very truely said by many folks, overspeeding in this route is fatal!
Old 27th December 2010, 13:25   #2919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Even I was wondering about this. Last week, I saw only a couple of buses coming from Hubli using the toll road. All other KSRTC buses are using the service road. Most private buses are taking the toll road though.
Looks like toll needs to be collected from every one and KSRTC/Govt transports have not chalked out a working model for the same.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:18   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
@ampere: I have attached a GPX file. I took this route last month. You can use GPS Visualizer or a similar program to draw the route.

Hope this is helpful.
Uploaded this to Google Maps for the benefit of all...

Google Maps link: belur-kottigehara - Google Maps
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-belurkottigehara.jpg  

Old 27th December 2010, 16:40   #2921
Senior - BHPian

posted in road condition to kerala, but this post makes more sense here.

people,

i need inputs on the roads which connects these places in these order.

Palarivattom
Mahe
Kannur
Mangalore
Udupi
Kollur
Jog falls
Shimoga
Shringeri
Bellur
Shravanabelagola
Masinagudi
Palarivattom

over night halts planned at

Kollur
Shringeri &
Masinagudi

Need input on places to stay at Shringeri and Masinagudi.(only 2 bachelors, looking just for a bed and some veg food, nothing fancy)

The above to places are planned and can be changed if it is a bad location to stay.

The first halt is fixed for Kollur and cannot be changed.

What are the other places to see in this route?

Have given 1 extra day allowance, so if there is a nice place to halt and visit, that can be added to the itinerary.

regards,
govigov

i would like to add kushal nagar in coorg to the list. how shall one go about doing this?

masinagudi is optional and can be avoided (does this place require a lot of detour?)

please,

need road conditions and options urgently, as we are leaving in 36 hours.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:55   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I have put the pics of the accident. Are you talking abt the same accident ?
If yes , then this accident did happen more than a week back.
Not to forget, there was one more TRUCK(Volvo) with the same Configuration stopped before HASSAN, 2 days back waiting to be transported to MLR, since a week(this was waiting for almost a week :-).
Yes, that's the one. Did you also notice that they had gas cutters too. I think most of the bridges and hair-pin bends will not have the boundaries on the left side, once they move this thing further down the route . It's a big task taking it wherever they want it to settle.

By the way, the toll collection booth at Belur cross/Chenrayapatna has been removed. I paid toll on the Friday night, only to find the booth empty, and stripped of even doors and window panes during the return journey. There's a much larger one coming up ahead. Hope that gets operational only after completion of the works.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:42   #2923
BHPian

Govigov: You can visit these two places near Sagar/Jog Falls. Ikkeri and Keladi. There are very old temples here. Impressive architecture.

Since you are going to Kollur I suggest you go to Kodachadri too.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:11   #2924
Senior - BHPian

@hspprabhu, noted. Ikkeri and keladi.

giving kodachadri a skip, gone there once, dont want to go hiking again!

any updates on road condition. how is the road condition on NH 17 from kasargod till kundaprura?
Old 27th December 2010, 23:35   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@hspprabhu, noted. Ikkeri and keladi.

giving kodachadri a skip, gone there once, dont want to go hiking again!

any updates on road condition. how is the road condition on NH 17 from kasargod till kundaprura?
Kozhikode to Kannur road(driven on 25th) is excellent except for heavy traffic.

Kannur to Nileshwar is again very good except for some broken tarmac.

Nileshwar to Kasargod is mostly broken tarmac but doable, no big potholes.

Kasargod to Mangalore is alternating between good road and broken tarmac, again no big potholes.

Mangalore to Udupi is again good road. Traffic is the problem particularly at some bottlenecks in four laning going on in Mangalore.

Kannur to Udupi driven on 26th.

Heard road upto Kundapur is okay, but not driven personally recently.

Most Viewed