Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 17:06   #2941
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
I am planning to drive by Swift to Mangalore somewhere around 20th Jan. But looking at the feedback from you guys, I am having second thoughts now! What do you all say, good to avoid Shiradi? What other alternatives I have?
The best alternative is charmady. Having said that, you might have to take some time out on the turns and hair pin bends. All in all, is much better alternative to shiradi.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:09   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
I am planning to drive by Swift to Mangalore somewhere around 20th Jan. But looking at the feedback from you guys, I am having second thoughts now! What do you all say, good to avoid Shiradi? What other alternatives I have?
As far as Shiradi ghat is concerned, you can drive through the ghat section if you have a lot of patience. This is only 5% of your total distance. Rest of the road is good (except for one dreaded pothole that ruined my yesterday). Once you reach the bottom of the ghat, the road is newly laid (the work is in progress, but almost complete). However, the road is not painted yet, so you may need to be careful at some sharp turns.

Also, the road around Magadi, about 5 km stretch, is as bad as the ghat section.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:45   #2943
Team-BHP Support

I traveled these routes in the past couple weeks.

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Somvarpet-Bisle-Subramanya-Dharmasthala-Manipal.

Manipal-Mangalore-BC Road-Mani-Puttur-Sullia-Puthur-Mani-BC Road-Mangalore-Manipal.

Manipal-Agumbe-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore.

Mani-Sulliya is simply outrageously horrible. There is road expansion going on and the road is simply full of gigantic potholes. We had to drive this route to attend a post-wedding function. Among the various family vehicles that travelled, only my GV and cousin's Gurkha felt at home. Even we couldn't exceed 10kmph in most places.

This is one of the better parts where the traffic had jammed, I couldn't get down at worser parts.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-p1020102.jpg

The Bisle has been repaired with red mud in any places. This is probably in better shape than Shiradi right now. It is still narrow and deserted.

The Agumbe-Chikmagalur route is not that great, but entirely devoid of truck traffic and dust.

Bad road status:

Mani-Sulliya < Shiradi < Bisle < Agumbe-Chikmaglur
Old 5th January 2011, 17:52   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Agumbe

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to spend the weekend at Agumbe Rain forest research institute on 8th and 9th. Can someone please help me with the following
I have already PMed to Samurai san for his suggestion.

1. Best route from Bangalore to Agumbe and back.

2. What is the best time to start from Bangalore , I need to reach there at7 AM in morning. Is it safe to do night drive in this area or should I take a leave on 7th ?

3. Suppose if I start on 7th morning then best place to spend the night in this area. heard that Shringeri is nearby any hotel suggestions .
I am OK to sleep in my Safari as well.

Regards
Amit
Old 5th January 2011, 18:02   #2945
Team-BHP Support

Amit, I merged your thread here since the Agumbe route is routinely covered here. I just did it 3 days back.

Route: Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmaglur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe.

I never recommend night driving in Indian roads, especially if you are unfamiliar with the roads. You should be able to do this stretch in 7-8 hours, it is about 350kms.
Old 5th January 2011, 22:43   #2946
Senior - BHPian

What about Bangalore - Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Agumbe? This way you dont have to drive through the curved roads between Chikkamaglur - Sringeri and pick up good speed. Also can avoid Bangalore - Haasan as well.

I understand the road between Birur and Bhadravathi has been repaired - first hand report from my friend who was there two days back - which will help you reach Tirthahalli in comfortable six hours and from there to Agumbe is 45 Mins. Distance wise it is almost same from Bangalore.

If you want you can stay in Tirthahlli which has some good home stay options and spend evning vsisting Kavi Shyla (KUVEMPU memorial) and Kundadari as wel. We have stayed in Bananki hometay (google for details) which is very good value for money - Good food, clean rooms and firendly hosts.

You can take a look at my travelogeue "Malnad Musings"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html
Old 6th January 2011, 09:40   #2947

Thanks JMaruru, rohanjf and Samurai.
I will keep my options open, but would prefer Shiradi as I am familiar with that route. Anyway, will track this thread for latest update.

Cheers.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:28   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is it safe to do night drive in this area or should I take a leave on 7th ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I never recommend night driving in Indian roads, especially if you are unfamiliar with the roads.
+1. I completely agree with you Samurai, that too in an unfamiliar curvy /Ghat roads I wouldn't recommend Night driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
What about Bangalore - Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Agumbe? This way you dont have to drive through the curved roads between Chikkamaglur - Sringeri and pick up good speed.
Wouldn't recommend during night driving, please see my post below for the obvious reasons mentioned here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2140636
Old 6th January 2011, 22:02   #2949
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Sushrutha that it is better to avoid driving at night on these streches. Also i understand that Agumbe - Tirthahalli road is not in good condition as well.
Old 6th January 2011, 23:25   #2950
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Fauji, Sushruta and Samurai.

This is most probably going to be solo drive , It seems mention of King Cobra in ARSS has demotivated people.

How much time it takes to Agumbe from either Hassan or Shimoga driving at moderate speeds ?

So As of now I am thinking of starting some time in evening from Bangalore drive up to either Hassan or Shimoga as it seems road is good till these places and then halt there for few hours and start again at around 5 AM to reach Agumbe by 7:30 or 8:00

May be I will sleep in my vehicle at some Dhaba or Petrol pump for few hours.

Do you think this is a good idea ? What is the best place to take halt ?
Old 7th January 2011, 13:13   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Since you are planning to start in the evning, take Hassan route being shorter and stay in Hassan. If you leave Hassan at 5 AM you should be able to reach Agumbe by 8.30 AM - a distance of 174 KMs via Ckikkamagalur and Sringeri. Just be careful with diversions on Bangalore - Hassan road due to road widening.

On the way back you can come via Tirthahalli - Shivamogga.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:30   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Since you are planning to start in the evning, take Hassan route being shorter and stay in Hassan. If you leave Hassan at 5 AM you should be able to reach Agumbe by 8.30 AM - a distance of 174 KMs via Ckikkamagalur and Sringeri. Just be careful with diversions on Bangalore - Hassan road due to road widening.

On the way back you can come via Tirthahalli - Shivamogga.
Or,you could drive from Bangalore to Shimoga and halt there.
The next morning,you could drive from Shimoga to Agumbe(Shoudnt be more than a 2 hour drive.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:11   #2953
Senior - BHPian

So any suggested places to take halt at either Shimoga or Hassan ?
What would be the drive time from Bangalore to Shimoga. I travelled on this route this summer but completely forgotten how long it took me to Shimoga :-)
Old 7th January 2011, 15:51   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
So any suggested places to take halt at either Shimoga or Hassan ?
What would be the drive time from Bangalore to Shimoga. I travelled on this route this summer but completely forgotten how long it took me to Shimoga :-)
Hotel Jewel Rock in both Hassan and Shimoga. The Shimoga one is recommended by most bhpians and others alike. In Hassan, there are a few more options like Hotel Sri Krishna and Hotel Suvarna apart from Jewel Rock.

OT: For what and for how many days have you volunteered in ARRS? I always wanted to volunteer but, due to the lack of time and encouragement (yes, the mention of King Cobras raises a hornet's nest at home), I have not been able to do it.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 7th January 2011 at 15:52. Reason: typo
Old 7th January 2011, 15:55   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
OT: For what and for how many days have you volunteered in ARRS? I always wanted to volunteer but, due to the lack of time and encouragement (yes, the mention of King Cobras raises a hornet's nest at home), I have not been able to do it.
Thanks Aditya , 2 days return on Sunday evening , You can accompany me starting tonight Check your PM
I will be taking Koramangala -> Bannerghatta Road -> Nice route

Most Viewed