Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 22:11   #286
Senior - BHPian

I heard roads around Kukke is good.

I feel I will be in Udupi around 27-28 this month end. I need to take final call next week about it.

About Saint Mary Island what I mean is If we have kids need to make sure they won't get ocean sickeness, fish smell etc.. Its not easy to visit that place in hot sun. People get tired fast, make sure you carry snacks/water. Careful about snakes, sudden deep sea. Shifting from big boat to smaller one is also scary. I am typing this just one need to keep all the factors in mind thats it However don't feel bad about it just keep safety in mind and enjoy your trip there! Its wonderful place.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:01   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car'zy View Post
Kottigehara to Kalasa would be less than 15 Kms, through Magundi would be approx 6-7 Kms more. This route isnt great, strictly speaking, but is much better than the staright connect. This is your best bet!

The Belur to Mudigere stretch is decent as well.
Are you sure about the distance from Kottigehara - Kalasa is less than 15kms. As far as i remember it's atleast +-40kms
Old 17th December 2008, 11:05   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Kottigehara to Kalasa would be less than 15 Kms, through Magundi would be approx 6-7 Kms more. This route isnt great, strictly speaking, but is much better than the staright connect. This is your best bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Hi,

Could you provide the distance from Kottigehara to Kalasa via Magundi. What is your take on the condition of this Stretch. Any bad stretches in between and how long will it take to cover this distance. Also how is the stretch from Belur to Mudigere.
Thanks in advance.

No car'zy, the distance from kottigehara to Kalasa is 39 kms ( passing through Javali, Kelagur estate, Hirebail and Gangankudige ) whereas through Magundi the distance is 49 kms ( kottigehara to Magundi - 24, magundi to kalasa - 25 kms.)

If you travel from kottigehara, take left after 5 kms near ukkada village ( prominent sign board ) to go via kelagur estate, else, go straight to magundi

The Magundi route is better anyday despite the extra 10 km.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:09   #289
BHPian

Oops, I quoted that figure purely from memory. I have been through that route just once and wasnt driving myself. But what I clearly remember was stoping at the Kotigehara Junction and checking with couple of localites. And it was they who said the Magundi route is 7 Kms longer, I can vouch for that. Its possible I have miscalculated the total distance.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:21   #290
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the Shiradi ghat? had read in paper sometime back the repair work is in progress...but had not seen much activity couple of months back when i had traveled in that road...also how is the charmadi now i think they have repaired but have advised to drive slow.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:54   #291
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
No car'zy, the distance from kottigehara to Kalasa is 39 kms ( passing through Javali, Kelagur estate, Hirebail and Gangankudige ) whereas through Magundi the distance is 49 kms ( kottigehara to Magundi - 24, magundi to kalasa - 25 kms.)
Hope this helps.
Thank you All. I miss those good old days when I used to take 5:30 hrs from Bangalore to Suratkal via Shiradi. The last time I could complete the trip in 5:30 hrs was in 2006. Hardly anyone knew of these alternate routes then. Hope the Shiradi ghat regains the old glory soon.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:29   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Thank you All. I miss those good old days when I used to take 5:30 hrs from Bangalore to Suratkal via Shiradi. The last time I could complete the trip in 5:30 hrs was in 2006. Hardly anyone knew of these alternate routes then. Hope the Shiradi ghat regains the old glory soon.
Are you serious ?? Just 5hrs 30 minutes to reach Surathkal from Bangalore.
I would be definetely interested to know the route which you used to take. ( Is it BLR-HSSN-SAKLP-BC ROAD-PUMPWELL-SURTKL) ? Also the vehicle used to commute.
The distance is approx 385kms right ?
Old 17th December 2008, 17:34   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I would be definetely interested to know the route which you used to take. ( Is it BLR-HSSN-SAKLP-BC ROAD-PUMPWELL-SURTKL) ? Also the vehicle used to commute.
Sush it was possible, i once took about6.5hrs to reach Mlore in my bull...have heard many doing in 6hrs.

Yes wish the shiradi road is fixed soon....
Old 17th December 2008, 17:43   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is not anywhere from Bangalore, it is normally Nelamangala Cross to Pumpwell, that is 325Kms.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:29   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely yes. I used to take the above said route and my car was esteem mpfi. I used to leave bangalore at 7:30 AM and reach Suratkal by 1:30 PM with 30 mins break at Kamath. I was doing this trip fairly regular then.

The trick here was to cover the Sakleshpur to Suratkal in 3 hrs. Many can do B'lore to Hasan in 2:30 hrs but would find tough in maintaining a good speed in the twisty roads after Sakleshpur . I just loved the smooth curvy roads. Downshift just before the turn with blipping the accelerator to match the engine speed with heel n toe braking, exit faster at the corner. This was how I drove thinking I was Richard Burns( A very good WRC Subaru driver. His career got shortened due to back injury and he was in his prime in 1998 when I got this rally bug.). My esteem was shod with 185/65 R13 for this specific purpose.

I'm telling this since you asked if it possible to do in 5:30 hrs. Please don't mistake me that I'm advocating rash driving. I used to drive fast but not recklessely. This timing of 5:30 hrs is entirely possible in sane speeds. I never exceeded 110 KMPH anywhere.

I can give you one Instance. I took a 2 PM Sugama Volvo from B'lore to Suratkal when it was was launched newly in 2002. It reached Suratkal at 8:45 PM with 25-30 mins break and a deviation to M'lore. So that was effectively 6 hrs. So I find it bit surprising that you find 5:30 is not doable.

Now with a Safari, this "attacking the corner" is a thing of past now.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:50   #296
BHPian

I agree, I had my Manager doing the route in 4:30 hours regularly. I remember the time when his mother wason the deatbed and he would leave on Saturdays and be back on Monday every week for months together. He would start back early in the morning from Mangalore and reach office on time!! He was known for his high energy levels, but even by that standards, it was amazing!!

Btw, he used to drive a Baleno and thats when my Baleno craze started!!
Old 18th December 2008, 10:30   #297
Senior - BHPian

Yes possible if one is fast

few months back i had manged to reach mangalore in about 6hrs time with moderate speeds... shiradi was in a better condition

Quote:
I agree, I had my Manager doing the route in 4:30 hours regularly. I remember the time when his mother wason the deatbed and he would leave on Saturdays and be back on Monday every week for months together. He would start back early in the morning from Mangalore and reach office on time!! He was known for his high energy levels, but even by that standards, it was amazing!!

Btw, he used to drive a Baleno and thats when my Baleno craze started!!
Old 18th December 2008, 11:13   #298
Senior - BHPian

Guys stop tempting me

i really wonder if those good old days will ever return.. though the bangalore hassan stretch is still pretty consistant.. its shiradi-mangalore thats gone for dogs

Lets hope the recession hits hard on those mining trucks and roads return to normal
Old 18th December 2008, 11:26   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys stop tempting me

i really wonder if those good old days will ever return.. though the bangalore hassan stretch is still pretty consistant.. its shiradi-mangalore thats gone for dogs

Lets hope the recession hits hard on those mining trucks and roads return to normal
hehe we all are getting tempted

the recession has already hit the mining industry, hardly saw few trucks.... hope they wont be back again.....but when will these guys fix the road?? not heard of anything so far...
Old 18th December 2008, 11:38   #300
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to go through the Shiradi stretch next week. I think it will take the same 8 Hours (Blr-Hsn -> 3Hrs) + (Hsn-Mlr -> 5 Hrs) like it took in my Oct trip.

I miss the days when I used to do this stretch in 6 - 6.5 Hrs. sigh
Hope the road gets back to its good old form once again soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks