Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:42   #3256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Just reached Bangalore from my trip to Belur and Chikmagalur on yesterday. The Kunigal bypass as Addy puts it isnt open officially and neither are the roads done completely, especially one bridge just before the bypass ends towards Hassan has loads of work to be done. This is the spot where one needs to get down the bypass, take a devaition over a bad patch of road(this isnt a road) and get back to the bypass again. I guess it will atleast be another 6 months for sure till we can call the bypass complete even if it isnt opened officially.
Despite of all these, it does save a good amount of time and energy required to pass that irritating town traffic.
Also, Four lane work has started past Bellur Cross almost till Hirisave and beyond IIRC. Lot of digging and cutting the green cover which once was the charm of this stretch.
Witnessed a gory accident involving a Xylo and may be a Two wheeler between Solur and Yediyur. 2 dead bodies on the median, a totally mangled Xylo (anyone could guess it had flipped atleast once).

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd April 2011 at 17:43.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:35   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just reached Bangalore from my trip to Belur and Chikmagalur on yesterday. The Kunigal bypass as Addy puts it isnt open officially and neither are the roads done completely, especially one bridge just before the bypass ends towards Hassan has loads of work to be done.
I tried following an Indicab onto the bypass, but had to abandon plans and stick to the regular road as another taxi came in the opposite direction and said that it was closed. Going by your description, It would be better if we waited till the roads are done atleast on one side.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:10   #3258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I tried following an Indicab onto the bypass, but had to abandon plans and stick to the regular road as another taxi came in the opposite direction and said that it was closed. Going by your description, It would be better if we waited till the roads are done atleast on one side.
Yes, as of now it is better to avoid the bypass. Due to the incessant rains yesterday, the deviation near the underconstruction bridge had lots of water. I somehow risked myself today and I admit that. If those big potholes at deviation sees more rains, I am sure this stretc will become non motorable due to the movement of construction trucks and earth movers.
It might be worth taking the risk and hence the bypass during daylight but a strict no no even at dusk.
Even those culverts have undone work with lot of dip in the surface of road which is risky at nights.
Honestly, even I wont know if I will take bypass next time.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:46   #3259
BHPian

Hello guys,
I was planning a Bangalore-Karkala trip during 2nd week of May. Google has suggested the below route. Had a few doubts:
1. How is the current road condition of the Shiradi ghat, esp now now rain Gods have given their appearances.
2. Is the route suggested by Google OK?Any shorter route?
3. Since this would be my 1st trip through proper ghat roads, how much time would I require to cover distance of 350+ kms.
I would be traveling with 3 more of my family members. Vehicle would be i20.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bangalorekarkala-map.jpg  

Old 24th April 2011, 21:35   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Hello guys,
I was planning a Bangalore-Karkala trip during 2nd week of May. Google has suggested the below route. Had a few doubts:
1. How is the current road condition of the Shiradi ghat, esp now now rain Gods have given their appearances.
2. Is the route suggested by Google OK?Any shorter route?
3. Since this would be my 1st trip through proper ghat roads, how much time would I require to cover distance of 350+ kms.
I would be traveling with 3 more of my family members. Vehicle would be i20.
1. I do sincerely hope the very recently relaid Shiradi won't give-up so quickly. Lets wait for people who might have traveled this weekend. Just before the rains, everyone was giving +1 to Shiradi and I feel this is the best route.

2. Yes, Shiradi route is shorter (though by a few kms compared to Charmadi). Since this is your first trip through ghats, I recommend Shiradi (unless its badly damaged), as the roads are much wider. When the roads are good in Shiradi, you won't feel you are descending/ascending a ghat. Charmadi on the other hand, is a little tougher and the roads are not that wider compared to Shiradi.

3. 7-8hrs (plus time for breaks) is what you need to budget.

Enjoy your journey. If you gain confidence while going, try coming back via Charmadi.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 00:25   #3261
Team-BHP Support

I traveled from Manipal to Bangalore on Friday, and had to take the Magadi road after a long time since I had to directly go the Bannerghatta road. The town of Magadi has gone to dogs, literally. When I drove through it few months back, it was bad enough, but they have not fixed it at all since then. It was the most terrible part, worst than Shiradi ghat was 3 months back. Then I took nice road (for the first time ever), and boy am I impressed. I reached B.G road in record time. This time I noticed the Kunigal bypass, but they had closed it with rocks on both sides.

Next day I drove back to Manipal and found the bypass open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, as of now it is better to avoid the bypass. Due to the incessant rains yesterday, the deviation near the underconstruction bridge had lots of water. I somehow risked myself today and I admit that.
Yes, that big watery ditch was a surprise at the end. But I was in the Grand Vitara, so I ran through it without much thought.

Quote:
Hello guys,
I was planning a Bangalore-Karkala trip during 2nd week of May. Google has suggested the below route.
It is the shortest route. I drove through it twice this weekend. In fact, I'll do it twice again before your trip. There is no issue as of now.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:11   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kunigal By-Pass.
As I had mentioned earlier, It's 95% ready, but only @ the end of the by-pass is not yet ready coz of underbridge construction.
One has to deviate & take muddy, gravel road for 200mtrs to reach the highway.
This by-pass will save atleast 10mins of journey time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Where does this by-pass end? after the town limits?
Near Brindavan hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It wasn't open today, closed on both sides.
Though it's officially not opened, but one can take the by-pass for commuting.
It was not closed on tuesday evening & today coz today morning I took the by-pass.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:02   #3263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Though it's officially not opened, but one can take the by-pass for commuting.
It was not closed on tuesday evening & today coz today morning I took the by-pass.
As I mentioned, it was closed on Friday, but open on Saturday.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:53   #3264
BHPian

Yesterday evening, while coming back there was a huge jam for almost half an hour as NHAI is cutting down the trees for 4 laning. Used kunigal by-pass again. Now Vehicles can get down the under-construction bridge from both the sides. Low GC Vehicles might think before getting down the water logged area, although ground seems to be quite hard.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:56   #3265
BHPian

Quote:

It is the shortest route. I drove through it twice this weekend. In fact, I'll do it twice again before your trip. There is no issue as of now.
How are the road conditions through the ghat now?
Old 25th April 2011, 20:18   #3266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are the road conditions through the ghat now?
I thought I had mentioned it.
Quote:
Old 25th April 2011, 21:31   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
I thought I had mentioned it.
Oh thanks. Missed that small bit.
Old 25th April 2011, 21:51   #3268
BHPian

Been to mangalore and back on saturday. Road condition is really good and can do blr-mlr in 7 hours.
Saw 2 horrific accident right after udane (after subrahmanya junction). 4 people died on the spot and few were on their last breathe. I am not supposed to upload the accident pics as they are really bad.
Old 25th April 2011, 21:54   #3269
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, that big watery ditch was a surprise at the end. But I was in the Grand Vitara, so I ran through it without much thought.

Ha ha, we did that on a brand new dzire VDi with a newbie driver. was fun to see his face while doing it.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:34   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
KartikK, can you update which route you took and journey conditions? I am going to Kundapur in May, it would be helpful if you can provide feedback.
Just to keep the thread updated for road condition to Kundapura. I drove via NH 206 till Shimoga, the road is good, there are patches which are bouncy but one can do 80kmph plus. I've attached a pic for everyones benefit. I was adventurous, my folly, please take the green road, thats currently the best i.e. go from Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Koppa- Someshwar(there is a nice idly joint just after you get down agumbe ghat, its yum!) -Siddapur. havent tried the dark blue road from Thrithahalli but that too may be tried. Though the road which I took was bad, it was really scenic at places and if you love exploring its cool. Very less population, no network coverage and though I covered it during the day, night driving would be fun. Please dont stare at me like that, I'm a bit crazy.

For timekeepers, I left Bangalore on the long weekend Friday 22nd April 5:30am reached Kundapura dot 1:30pm including 20mins power breakfast. Total time 8 hrs, total distance from my parking to my relatives home was 476km
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-roadtrip.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-image336.jpg  

Last edited by kartikk : 26th April 2011 at 13:39. Reason: updated dates

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks