Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 07:51   #316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Just after BC Road when you are coming form the Bangalore side, there is a right turn that connects to the Mangalore-Moodabidri road at a place called Kaikamba. This road is a single road but is good and traverses through places called Kolatthamajal,Polali and Addoor. After BC Road, keep looking to your right and you will see a main road with an arch or 'DWARA' as it is called in these parts. This is the arch leading to the famous Polali temple. This way you will save on BCRoad-Mangalore-Suratkal as well if you go via Moodabidri to Udupi.
Actually, you can even skip B.C road which has become a big mess by itself. The B.C road or Bantwala Cross Road was created to avoid passing through Bantwala. But B.C road has become so big and messy, now it is much easier to through Bantwala. In fact, Bantwala has become like a bypass for B.C road.

If you are coming from Bangalore/Madikeri side and going towards Udupi, turn right towards Bantwala just before entering B.C road. That road will go through the peaceful streets of Bantwala and take you to Mudbidri, then continue to Karkala-Manipal and Udupi.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:02   #317
Senior - BHPian

Yes Samurai, i was talking about this route ...used to travel during my school days in bantwal(havent taken it since then)

Any idea about condition of this road(its pretty narrow) ?

Since i am travelling with my infant..now i am being told by my parents to take the usual NH(BCRoad-mangalore-udupi) [Sigh]

@ST. 73 kms in 2 hrs is better than shiradi ghats i feel.

I wonder when will the coastal people get proper roads to connect to rest of the state

Last edited by rajshenoy : 30th December 2008 at 14:04.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:37   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Any idea about condition of this road(its pretty narrow) ?

Since i am travelling with my infant..now i am being told by my parents to take the usual NH(BCRoad-mangalore-udupi) [Sigh]
It is in fantastic shape, and it is 30Kms shorter. I can't think of any reason to take Mangalore route.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:46   #319
BHPian

Travelled to Mangalore on 23rd Dec 2008. We started from Bangalore at 1.15 pm and reached our house in Mangalore at 12 midnight. The route taken was Bangalore-Hassan-BC Road-Mangalore via Shiradi Ghat. One break was at Kamat Upachar, Udayapura for 30min and another 45 minute break at my in-laws place in Uppinangady. The condition of the road on the Ghat should be seen to be believed. The craters have become so deep that even truckers avoid them. On four occasions, we had to stop, reverse the vehicle and search for a place on the extreme sides of the road to travel further. Cars cannot come out of these crators on their own for sure if they get stuck in these. Mining trucks were in full strength and looks like the waiver of duty by the government for export of ore has worked wonders for the mining business. This route is best avoided by people travelling in their own vehicles. My Innova got hit from beneath thrice in this treacherous stretch. The mining trucks are aware of each corner like the back of their hand, and drive to the extreme right well before the curve, so it is upto the person on the other side to manage his safety. The curves are badly damaged even after the ghat. Most of the curves on NH48 after Gundya upto Mani are non-existant. From BC Road to Mangalore, they are not repairing the road citing that the 4 laning is going on, but even that is moving at snail's pace.

Returned back to Bangalore yesterday. I was advised to take the Charmadi ghat road and the route taken was Mangalore-BC Road-Uppinangady-Nellyady-Dharmastala Cross on NH48-Dharmastala-Ujire-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. Had to go via Uppinangady because of the visit to in-law's place.

From Ujire towards Charmadi, the road is damaged at the curves, but this road will look like heaven for a person who has just travelled by Shiradi Ghat. Even on the Ghat's, the road is bad on most of the curves. Looks like they have started repairing the road from Mudigere side. Saw some patch work being done after completing the 8 hairpin bends. In four places, half the road is gone due to landslide. Barricades have been put warning the road users. But the road is narrow and one has to watch out for his safety from oncoming traffic. Cab drivers as well as buses take the curve on the wrong side and one has to watch out for these maniacs. Mudigere to Belur road is also not very good, but manageable. Belur to Hassan is very good. We started at 5.45am from Mangalore, reached Uppinangady at 7.15am; started again at 8.15am and reached Kamat Upachar 12:45pm. Had lunch and started again at 1:30pm and reached our home at 4.45pm.

The Bangalore - Mangalore via Shiradi Ghat (door to door) was 353 kms and the return via Charmadi was 414 kms on my trip meter. Inspite of the extra distance, it is worth taking the Charmadi ghat route. Damage to your vehicle is avoided and you can have a pleasant drive when compared to the Shiradi ghat route.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:55   #320
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu sad to know that mining trucks are back:( read in anewspaper that 12 cr rs has been sanctioned for the repairs....with those monstrous trucks around am afraid the situation wont improve at all.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:57   #321
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the detailed report. That means Agumbe ghat is the best option for Bangalore-Udupi trip. Not that it is in great shape, but the misery will be over in 10 minutes.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:14   #322

bangalore - mangalore road info

thanks for the report prabhu, i am planning a trip from Mysore to Murudeshwara - gokarn - udupi - sringeri and back. i would probably take the mys-belur-balehonnur-sringeri-vandse-baindur-murudeshwar route. earlier i had planned to take the NH but now i changed my plans. thks cheers:
Old 30th December 2008, 15:36   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
The condition of the road on the Ghat should be seen to be believed. The craters have become so deep that even truckers avoid them. On four occasions, we had to stop, reverse the vehicle and search for a place on the extreme sides of the road to travel further. Cars cannot come out of these crators on their own for sure if they get stuck in these. Mining trucks were in full strength and looks like the waiver of duty by the government for export of ore has worked wonders for the mining business. This route is best avoided by people travelling in their own vehicles. My Innova got hit from beneath thrice in this treacherous stretch.
Sorry to hear about your Innova. This is precisely why I have been avoiding this stretch since I last went there in June. Imagine what will happen if my Swift goes there now The Madikeri route is anyday better because it atleast gives you an opportunity to save your car.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:09   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks for the detailed report. That means Agumbe ghat is the best option for Bangalore-Udupi trip. Not that it is in great shape, but the misery will be over in 10 minutes.
Hi Samurai,

Can you please give the route details? I have a relative planning to visit Bangalore from Udupi soon.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 30th December 2008, 16:11   #325
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:04   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi.

agumbe via tumkur, will it not be shorter ?

Or due to road condition you suggested the hassan route ?
Old 30th December 2008, 18:16   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
agumbe via tumkur, will it not be shorter ?

Or due to road condition you suggested the hassan route ?
Hassan route is shorter and better.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:52   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ST. 73 kms in 2 hrs is better than shiradi ghats i feel.
I have not seen Shiradi ghats. But from what ever I have read here, I would never even want to (in it's present condition). I guess there is nothing competing with Shiradi ghats at the moment.

Quote:
That means Agumbe ghat is the best option for Bangalore-Udupi trip. Not that it is in great shape, but the misery will be over in 10 minutes.
Yes that's right, road is by and large fine, except at the 8-9 hair pin bends which are within 1/2 km distance.
On these HP bends, it is just about manageable and things may deteriorate soon. I saw big pieces of concrete surface (about 6-8 inches deep) that have come out, and some are wobbling loose ready to come out any time. Unfortunately the ghats were crowded and I did not get time to shoot any pics.

In my whole 1316km tour last week (Bangalore - Jog falls - Murdeshwar - Udupi - Agumbe - Sringeri - Udupi - Karkala - Dharmsthal-Kukke Subramanya - Madikere - Bangalore), my loaded Civic did not scrap at a single place, thanks to the excellent road guidance by team-bhpians (and some careful negotiations through the bad stretches by me).

I would be posting a detailed travelouge soon, just not getting enough time to put it all together.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:29   #329
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile here are some images relevant to this thread, showing some road pics of the route...

Pictures in following order: (unable to add text in between)
1. About 10kms from Sagar on the way to Job Falls
2. About 30kms from Murdeshwar towards Udupi - this long que of truck was like never ending one - must have been 3-4 kms long
3 & 4 About 32kms from Murdeshwar towards Udupi
5. In Hebri towards Agumbe
6. About 10kms from Hebri towards Agumbe - Watch the rock coming out on the left
7, 8, 9, 10. On NH48 between Dharmsthala and Subramanya turns
11, 12, 13. Sampaje Ghats between Suliya and Madikere
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-about-10kms-sagar-way-job-falls.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-about-30kms-murdeshwar-towards-udupi.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-about-32kms-murdeshwar-towards-udupi.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-about-32kms-murdeshwar-towards-udupi-2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hebri-towards-agumbe.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-about-10kms-hebri-towards-agumbe.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh48-between-dharmsthala-subramanya-turns2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh48-between-dharmsthala-subramanya-turns3.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh48-between-dharmsthala-subramanya-turns6.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sampaje-ghats-between-suliya-madikere-3.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sampaje-ghats-between-suliya-madikere-4.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sampaje-ghats-between-suliya-madikere-.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ST7677 : 31st December 2008 at 11:42.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:49   #330
Senior - BHPian

Which road is in the mars like pics[cant compare them with any other surface] just wondering if this is madikeri route?

Off topic, ISRO can safely test the moon/mars mission rovers on our roads. i am sure surface of other planets are in better shape

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks