Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 21:38   #3316
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, this is a gamble most of the times due to the condition of the stretch itself which cannot be predicted (though its hardly half a kilometer).

No matter whichever way the road is blocked, most of the local trucks from neighbouring districts who frequently pass
Hassan make it to this road and if its bad-luck time like me, then chances are there that you might get stuck here also.

Another advise is to avoid this road when it has rained heavily as is becomes almost non motorable.
True. If that day is a bad day for you, you will get stuck pretty badly. The only advantage in taking this road is that it is the shortest link between the bypass and Belur road. Other wise the road is like a mini obstacle course. Don't even try to go on this after it rains. Your car will get a free mud bath. Another problem is that since many trucks use this road, jams are bound to happen. A truck turning on this road will create a holdup even on BM road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Then in that case I think a better option would be to go all the way ahead where the by-pass meats the road coming from the town and return back, It would add an extra 4-5km.

@Parag is that the best option?
Not really. The road from joining the by pass is in very bad condition. This will negate whatever bad roads you have missed by avoiding Hassan city. The road from Thanneeruhalla (Belur Rd-BM Rd Junction) till the bypass is pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
There are two more right turns after this road, any idea if they are better?
I have travelled on the first right turn. The road is not wider than one car's width. It has a metalled surface though. Not many people take this road, but it is passable. You will find bullock carts, tractors and an occasional truck on this road. No idea about the second right turn though

Last edited by addyhemmige : 5th May 2011 at 21:40.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:05   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
True. If that day is a bad day for you, you will get stuck pretty badly. The only advantage in taking this road is that it is the shortest link between the bypass and Belur road. Other wise the road is like a mini obstacle course. Don't even try to go on this after it rains. Your car will get a free mud bath. Another problem is that since many trucks use this road, jams are bound to happen. A truck turning on this road will create a holdup even on BM road.

Not really. The road from joining the by pass is in very bad condition. This will negate whatever bad roads you have missed by avoiding Hassan city. The road from Thanneeruhalla (Belur Rd-BM Rd Junction) till the bypass is pretty bad.

I have travelled on the first right turn. The road is not wider than one car's width. It has a metalled surface though. Not many people take this road, but it is passable. You will find bullock carts, tractors and an occasional truck on this road. No idea about the second right turn though
This small link to join the Highway from Belur junctio is really bad. Good for SUVs though. I once went in my Fiesta and was lucky to come out unscathed.

I would anyway prefer to go through city. A strectch of 2 KMs from this Junction till you hit the main circle - don't know its name - is bad but manageable and after that it is a nice double road. Thus, i find it a better option.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:54   #3318
BHPian

The road opposite Ayurveda college in Hassan has been relaid recently, which was before in horrible condition, so its not a bad idea to go through Hassan to belur, and you will save few kms also than in bye-pass, bye-pass is too long to reach belur road. You will find bad streches in front of Suvarna Hotel, but manageable, Also you can avoid the road which is in bad shape from bye-pass to belur road junction.

Last edited by shamanth : 6th May 2011 at 10:56.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:17   #3319
BHPian

I am going to Mangalore next weekend. My friend is getting married somewhere close to Suratkal. Can you please suggest some good accomodation that will be convenient. I know of some good places in Udupi, but I will prefer to stay closer.

Thanks,
Old 6th May 2011, 12:26   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I would anyway prefer to go through city. A strectch of 2 KMs from this Junction till you hit the main circle - don't know its name - is bad but manageable and after that it is a nice double road. Thus, i find it a better option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
The road opposite Ayurveda college in Hassan has been relaid recently, which was before in horrible condition, so its not a bad idea to go through Hassan to belur, and you will save few kms also than in bye-pass, bye-pass is too long to reach belur road. You will find bad streches in front of Suvarna Hotel, but manageable, Also you can avoid the road which is in bad shape from bye-pass to belur road junction.
It would be better if one takes the route through the city. The bad stretch in the city is just 2 kms (approx) between NR Circle (the main circle) and Ayurvedic college. Except during peak hour traffic and if it is a tuesday, then there will be heavy traffic and crowd movement. Otherwise, it is manageable

Last edited by addyhemmige : 6th May 2011 at 12:29.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:49   #3321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
I am going to Mangalore next weekend. My friend is getting married somewhere close to Suratkal. Can you please suggest some good accomodation that will be convenient. I know of some good places in Udupi, but I will prefer to stay closer.

Thanks,
There is a 'Ginger' near kottara circle, else you can also opt for 'Suraj International' in suratkal.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:12   #3322
BHPian

Hi All! Will be going to Karkala tomorrow. We plan to leave at 4AM!! so that we reach Karkala before noon. Will be taking NH48 and then to Karkala through Dharmasthala - Belthangady - Guruvayankere - Bajagoli.

I stay in Bellandur. Close to the Sarjapur Road. At that hour of the day which of the following routes would be faster and safe
1) Through NICE road from Electronic City side to Nelamangala
2) Through Agara-koramangala-MG Road-Golf course Road-Sankey Tank Road-Yeshwanthpur-Nelamangala

Planning to take a break for food at Kamat near Hassan. Will have a 9 month kid on board too
Old 6th May 2011, 14:17   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Hi All! Will be going to Karkala tomorrow. We plan to leave at 4AM!! so that we reach Karkala before noon. Will be taking NH48 and then to Karkala through Dharmasthala - Belthangady - Guruvayankere - Bajagoli.

I stay in Bellandur. Close to the Sarjapur Road. At that hour of the day which of the following routes would be faster and safe
2) Through Agara-koramangala-MG Road-Golf course Road-Sankey Tank Road-Yeshwanthpur-Nelamangala

Planning to take a break for food at Kamat near Hassan. Will have a 9 month kid on board too
If your start time is 4AM, you can opt for the second option. But there are some diversions coz of the metro work near y'pur junction, else it is all smooth until Nelamangala.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:34   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Karkala through Dharmasthala - Belthangady - Guruvayankere - Bajagoli.

Ipai,

Suggesting to proceed to uppinangadi and then turn right to Guruvayankere ( 19km ). you save around 20 kms of narrow roads and also avoid passing through Dharmasthala, Ujire and Belthangadi town traffic. Uppinangadi - G'kere road is narrow but good.

At 4am too, it is better you avoid Y'pur - Goraguntepalya stretch of metro construction as it sees all night activity. On ORR : Bellandur - KRpuram - Hebbal - BEL circle - Goraguntepalya would be an option. You could also avoid the railway level crossing after BEL circle, if you take right at BEL circle, proceed to Gangamma circle and turn left to Jalahalli circle via Ayappa temple. On this route you could be at nelamangala within 1 hour ( from home ).

Hope this helps..

Last edited by roamingrao : 6th May 2011 at 14:47.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:45   #3325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Suggesting to proceed to uppinangadi and then turn right to Guruvayankere ( 19km ). you save around 20 kms and also avoid passing through Dharmasthala, Ujire and Belthangadi town traffic. Uppinangadi - G'kere road is narrow but good.
The route you are suggesting is 3Kms longer than the Dharmasthala route. How are you saving 20kms?
Old 6th May 2011, 14:50   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Just make sure you either the railway crossing or ensure that the time does not coincide with a railway timing which may result in a long trucks jam once around 5am happened to come across a long Q which resulted in me wasting about30+mins..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Ipai,

Suggesting to proceed to uppinangadi and then turn right to Guruvayankere ( 19km ). you save around 20 kms and also avoid passing through Dharmasthala, Ujire and Belthangadi town traffic. Uppinangadi - G'kere road is narrow but good.

At 4am too, it is better you avoid Y'pur - Goraguntepalya stretch of metro construction as it sees all night activity. On ORR : Bellandur - KRpuram - Hebbal - BEL circle - Goraguntepalya would be an option. You could also avoid the railway level crossing after BEL circle, if you take right at BEL circle, proceed to Gangamma circle and turn left to Jalahalli circle via Ayappa temple. On this route you could be at nelamangala within 1 hour ( from home ).

Hope this helps..
Old 6th May 2011, 15:07   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The route you are suggesting is 3Kms longer than the Dharmasthala route. How are you saving 20kms?
Thanks Samurai for pointing to the lapse. The post has been edited accordingly. What i meant was we could enjoy driving on the smooth / broad NH48 for a further 20km and save on time.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:10   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just take NICE road after going on Hosur road till NICE road junction. Going through city even at 4 AM is not worth it due to Metro work etc.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:05   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Requesting some help.

For my Bangalore to Mangalore trip, should I pass through Hassan town, or take the Hassan bypass ? I would be reaching Hassan around 4 pm.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:09   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Requesting some help.

For my Bangalore to Mangalore trip, should I pass through Hassan town, or take the Hassan bypass ? I would be reaching Hassan around 4 pm.
If your destination is Mangalore, bypass is the best option unless you need to stop for snacks etc. No need to go into town if you are just passing by
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed