Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 13:15   #3346
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
There are plenty of BP COCO(company owned company operated)pumps now a days on all the Indian highways,fill up from them
Some of the COCO petrol pumps in NH 48 (Between BLR - HASSAN) where I often fill petrol are
B.P Outlet @ Solur, this is where most of the Tankers are parked.
H.P Oulet @ Bellur Cross adjacent Cafe Coffeeday
IOCL Outlet @ Udayapura - adjacent Cafe Coffeeday/Kamath
Old 13th May 2011, 15:16   #3347
Team-BHP Support

The GPS log from last visit. Here we can see the track that goes through both Kunigal town and Kunigal Bypass.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-renderwidget-5132011-25932-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 13th May 2011, 15:50   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The GPS log from last visit. Here we can see the track that goes through both Kunigal town and Kunigal Bypass.
Is the Kunigal bypass open to traffic travelling in both directions? it will be a blessing considering the road sense and road condition inside Kunigal.

Had been to Udupi district last Tuesday. The roads are an absolute dream. thanks to the non existence of those manganese trucks. but was forced to turn around just 9kms after Uppinangady, due to an overturned fuel tanker. There were around 4-5 fire engines pressed into service. Had to go through the dreaded roads of Puttur. only to get stuck by a huge traffic pileup due to the vehicles taking the deviation.

Also, the rate at which the 4 lane is being constructed from Mangalore is amazing.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:44   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Is the Kunigal bypass open to traffic travelling in both directions? it will be a blessing considering the road sense and road condition inside Kunigal.

Had been to Udupi district last Tuesday. The roads are an absolute dream. thanks to the non existence of those manganese trucks. but was forced to turn around just 9kms after Uppinangady, due to an overturned fuel tanker. There were around 4-5 fire engines pressed into service. Had to go through the dreaded roads of Puttur. only to get stuck by a huge traffic pileup due to the vehicles taking the deviation.

Also, the rate at which the 4 lane is being constructed from Mangalore is amazing.
It is unofficially open. I had taken this on my 2 back to back trips in April. There is a diversion coz of under bridge construction, else it is smooth all the way.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 17:52   #3350
BHPian

Hey guys, I am back from my 1-day trip to Dharmasthala ! I roped in my cousin (who had just returned from Jaipur driving all the way to Blore in his Santro !) and decided we return the same day.

Here's a brief report with some interesting details

Well, my FIRST long trip on our 1.5 year old Wagon R was anything but a journey filled with adventure, fun and ofcourse lots of speed !

Our Wagon R was put into a test of endurance and speed all through out the journey !

The two-way express way (NH48) between Blore and Channarayapatna (I think) is great ! I managed to hit 120 Kmph on this stretch. What surprised me was the car was quite stable even at this speed (was it because we were 4 people in the car making it more heavier ?)

I took some of the members' advise and drove through Shiradi ghat during my on-ward journey. Well, this is definitely NOT a ghat anymore ! Its almost a race-track ! Here I was expecting myself doing sharp-manuevering and staying on lower gears, but most of the time I was on my 3rd or 4th gears (even during turns). The road-mechanics is great (with all that banking thrown at all the right places) on this stretch !

While returning, we drove through Charmadi ghat (again thanks to some of the members here for suggesting this !) Since, I had driven during our onward journey, my experienced cousin drove on our way back. I must say driving through Charmadi was nothing what we had expected while driving through Shiradi !

Riddled with some of the sharpest turns (which our car negotiated with great elegance and style ) , my cousin had to stay on 2nd or 3rd gear. But the breath-taking view that this route presents is well worth it !
Like one of the members here, Fauji had said "take shiradi while going and Charmadi while returning, that way you have best of both worlds", I think this is the best advise, if one's planning to cross western ghats and is a nature lover ! We even spotted a king-cobra crossing the road (my cousin almost drove over it had it not been for his keen vision !)

The road between Belur and Hassan, though not a double road, was wide and very well laid with all the reflectors in place.

I took over the driving seat when we reached Chennarayapatna, as I felt my cousin had done enough driving to tire himself (through all the ghats and narrow roads from Charmadi through gendehalli). My neighbour (who was the 4th passenger apart from my father,cousin and myself)) even went on to suggest that the effort of driving through the ghats and the effort to drive on a normal road is a ratio of 3:1. Interesting

After sometime while nearing Kunigal, we suddenly found ourselves driving through Kunigal which later made us wonder how we had missed the Kunigal by-pass (expressway) ! In the darkness and with no oncoming traffic on that road, I think I had missed the bypass which not only increased the journey distance but also we had to drive through pot-hole filled road through Kunigal to later reach the expressway again.

Few things I felt other users of this wonderful expressway (NH48) have to keep in mind :
The double-road expressway (NH48) suddenly turns into a single way as many stretches on both roads of the double way have been shut(wonder why). So, one has to fork into the adjacent road (of the double road express way) and later fork back.
During the night, some vehicles (mainly buses) miss out on the signs indicating forking back to the adjacent road of the double road and continue on the same road. So, suddenly you see oncoming traffic not just on the adjacent road, but also on the road you are driving on !
I had to be real alert during this time and struggled quite a bit. Being a first time driver, driving in the night, I decided to tail a Tempo which at one point started giving way to our car possibly indicating the same intent.

But anyway, this experience has made me understand my car like never before and its almost like graduating out of college and entering a job

Once again, thanks to all those who gave their suggestions which made our journey all the more smooth and fun !
Old 15th May 2011, 21:22   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_octane View Post

While returning, we drove through Charmadi ghat (again thanks to some of the members here for suggesting this !)
Great to know that you enjoyed the trip. When the roads are good in Shiradi, you'd never feel you are crossing a ghat.

When I traveled in Charmadi Ghats a few months ago, the road had gone bad in a few patches and terrible at some sharp bends. Has these been repaired?

Prasad
Old 16th May 2011, 20:35   #3352
BHPian

Came back from a 4 day trip to mangalore/karkala.
Route taken was B'lore(Nice road)- Kunigal-Chennarayapatna-Sakleshpur-Dharmastal- Karkala(Halt)-Mangalore(Halt)-B'lore(NH48) .Road conditions are pretty good except through Kunigal town.

During our onward journey kunigal by-pass was completly closed, but while we were returning I could see vehicles entering the right lane & taking the by-pass. I had already taken a left into the road, which leads to the kunigal town, to return & take the by-pass.

The road conditions through the ghat are in pretty good condition. That said if you are on you way to B'lore, climbing the ghat, you need to be very careful of the tanker, which come rocketing down the ghat. I missed them by inches a few times.

Road between Dharmastal & Karkal are pretty rough. It took me quite some time to travel this stretch.

Nonetheless enjoyed the drive. Next time would take the Charmadi route. Thanks for all the route suggestions
Old 17th May 2011, 03:26   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Great to know that you enjoyed the trip. When the roads are good in Shiradi, you'd never feel you are crossing a ghat.

When I traveled in Charmadi Ghats a few months ago, the road had gone bad in a few patches and terrible at some sharp bends. Has these been repaired?

Prasad
The Charmadi Ghat road was quite OK. There were few bad patches on the route but there were many fresh patch-works too. The road wasn't terrible at any point though.
high_octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:06   #3354

Planing to go - Bangalore - Dharmasthala - Kateel - Horanadu - Sringeri - Bangalore.

How is the Dharmasthala - Kateel and Horanadu - Sringeri roads.

Thinking of taking NH4 on the way back from Sringeri please advice !

Thanks in advance !
Old 18th May 2011, 08:37   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTF View Post
Planing to go - Bangalore - Dharmasthala - Kateel - Horanadu - Sringeri - Bangalore.

How is the Dharmasthala - Kateel and Horanadu - Sringeri roads.

Thinking of taking NH4 on the way back from Sringeri please advice !

Thanks in advance !
Plan this

Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Dharmasthala (Excellent roads)

Dharmasthala - Ujre - Belthangadi - Moodbidri - Kateel

Kateel - Moodbidri - Karkala - Sringeri

Sringeri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Hornadu

Hornadu - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Poor roads - between belur and mudigere
Motorable roads - Charmadi ghat
Dharmasthala - moodbidri
Rest great roads
Old 18th May 2011, 11:30   #3356
BHPian

Re: madikeri-sampage -highway closed for works

I need to go from Mangalore to Madikeri. I hear the sampage ghats is still closed. I actually want to get to Siddapura (Orange County). What route do I take?
Old 18th May 2011, 14:59   #3357
BHPian

Came back from Mangalore on Monday.Started 3 pm from Ladyhill, reached Padmanabha Nagar at 10:30. Road is terrific all the way! Couldn't take Kunigal bypass.

This was my first time driving at night! At the onset I can tell I won't be doing that again! Many stretches I was driving blindly due to so many idiots using high beam. At some instance 10 to 15 vehicles all with high beam! Some had curtsey's to dip it after I flash once, but mostly none would change from high beam. One guy almost crashed in to me while doing die hard like over taking stunt at the last moment! After Hassan I had another fiesta, we traveled till Chennarayapatna greatly guiding each others (Thanks buddy, who ever you where). Beyond that point I still had difficulty.
I wonder how regulars do long journey in nights with so many idiots to negotiate? There where many two toll booths on the way, none was operational. One of them didn't had any lights also! It was very difficult to see which lane is to take to proceed further!

I was completely drained when I reached home! Had three breaks, but didn't help.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:25   #3358
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, this is a little embarrassing, I have not taken a bus to travel in this route since 2005, and my knowledge about buses has become outdated. However, I am thinking of taking the bus this time since I don't have a car to drive back.

Last year I had taken the daytime KSRTC Volvo between Bangalore-Madikeri. I eventually regretted my choice since everybody around me were vomiting into plastic bags in the ghat, and the AC cabin ensured that the whole bus stank. I so wished I wasn't in an AC bus.

Since the Shiradi Ghat is lot tamer in terms of curves, and since I will be taking nightbus, it is safe to take the Volvo from the stink point of view? Or should I go with Rajahamsa?

Last edited by Samurai : 19th May 2011 at 11:26.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:38   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, this is a little embarrassing, I have not taken a bus to travel in this route since 2005, and my knowledge about buses has become outdated. However, I am thinking of taking the bus this time since I don't have a car to drive back.

Last year I had taken the daytime KSRTC Volvo between Bangalore-Madikeri. I eventually regretted my choice since everybody around me were vomiting into plastic bags in the ghat, and the AC cabin ensured that the whole bus stank. I so wished I wasn't in an AC bus.

Since the Shiradi Ghat is lot tamer in terms of curves, and since I will be taking nightbus, it is safe to take the Volvo from the stink point of view? Or should I go with Rajahamsa?
Samurai San,

Rajahamsa is any day better than Volvo from Stink perspective. Whether Shiradi is good or bad, people will vomit due to curves. A friend of mine had a similar nauseating feeling when he travelled and vowed never to travel in Volvo again!!
Old 19th May 2011, 11:41   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Came back from Mangalore on Monday.Started 3 pm from Ladyhill, reached Padmanabha Nagar at 10:30. Road is terrific all the way! Couldn't take Kunigal bypass.

This was my first time driving at night! At the onset I can tell I won't be doing that again! Many stretches I was driving blindly due to so many idiots using high beam. At some instance 10 to 15 vehicles all with high beam! Some had curtsey's to dip it after I flash once, but mostly none would change from high beam. One guy almost crashed in to me while doing die hard like over taking stunt at the last moment! After Hassan I had another fiesta, we traveled till Chennarayapatna greatly guiding each others (Thanks buddy, who ever you where). Beyond that point I still had difficulty.
I wonder how regulars do long journey in nights with so many idiots to negotiate? There where many two toll booths on the way, none was operational. One of them didn't had any lights also! It was very difficult to see which lane is to take to proceed further!

I was completely drained when I reached home! Had three breaks, but didn't help.
I am in agreemnt with you completely. Not only high beam, you have these lorries withoiut rear lights and you will not come to know there is one till you are 25 mtrs behind them!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks