Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:27   #3421
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
The road stretch on the Shiradi ghat is very bad, better to avoid this route, you can travel via Madikere or Travel via Hassan, Belur, Belthangady route, you can bypass and reach Udupi.
You are describing the situation in Oct-Nov of 2010. Now the Shiradi is in great condition and Madikeri route is closed.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 00:27   #3422
BHPian

Re: Madikeri: Sampaje Ghat Road to Open from June 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Heard that cars can do the Sullia-Madikeri route now .Even though its not officially opened for public,I heard that one can pay an unofficial toll of 100rs without receipt and drive on this stretch . Does anybody have any updates?
Madikeri: Sampaje Ghat Road to Open from June 1

Madikeri, May 28: The Sampaje ghat road, connecting this hill town and the coastal districts, will re-open with access to all traffic on June 1, 2011, the Karnataka Road Development Corporation Ltd. (KRDCL) officials have informed the mediaThe Madikeri-Mani stretch is being widened and upgraded as a dual carriageway and the KRDCL has been entrusted with this work.
The deputy commissioner of Kodagu had issued orders in December 2010 banning all heavy traffic on this road. Currently, public transport vehicles from Mangalore have been plying only up to Sampaje.Passengers on their way to Madikeri and Mysore have to change the bus at Sampaje and vice versa as of now. Private vehicles are allowed to use the road between here and Sampaje only after obtaining a special pass from the deputy commissioner, Madikeri.
The work on the 28-km stretch between Sampaje and Madikeri should have been completed by May 31 in accordance with the original schedule. But the off-season rains have affected the progress of work.Yet, out of this distance, a stretch of 17 kms is ready. On the rest of 11 kms, bridges, culverts and safety enbankments have been completed, but only the widening and bitumenization is yet to be done.
However, for the regular commuters, restaurant and shop owners and residents who have suffered a lot during the past six months, the joy is only short-lived. The project being incomplete, said the officials, the work on the remaining part could be taken up only after the monsoons and the ghat road might have to be closed yet again for some time from November 2011. Yet they are hopeful to complete that job in a month's time.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
Old 6th June 2011, 10:37   #3423
BHPian

My friend just visited Mangalore and he confirmed two things:

- Shiradi Ghat roads are better than ever
- Madikeri - Sullia road is open
Old 6th June 2011, 10:51   #3424
MCR
BHPian

Even If Sampaje ghat is open, Shiradi ghat is the road to take, thanks to the good condition of the ghat road now. Also Sampaje Ghat road is too windy. In case heavy rains uproot a few trees, this road becomes a nightmare to drive on.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:59   #3425
Senior - BHPian

I drove to Mangalore and back last weekend. I spent less than 5 hours on the highway (no point in talking about total travel time, because of Bangalore city traffic) on both occasions. Yes, Shiradi road is in good condition, but I noticed that a lot of potholes have started appearing, especially on the up-going side of the road. And these potholes are like rabbits, they multiply quickly. I am sure that this road will go back to its "normal" state within a month. I have to drive to Mangalore again in 2 weeks, and that probably will be my last car trip until they repair the roads again!

And I still don't understand why they should put speedbreakers on both sides of toll booths. Aren't the HUGE boards and lights sufficient!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 11:05   #3426
BHPian

Maani - Puttur is still a bit of a mess unfortunately because of the road widening thing.

BTW, there are 2 roads I saw : one is the usual Bhagamandala First cross -> Sampaje road - the Sampaje Ghat as we know. However, further down towards Bhagamandala ( a few kms from the first cross ), there is another road that has a distance board to Puttur : does this connect back to the Sampaje Ghat road and if so, where ?
Old 11th June 2011, 11:45   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar
Maani - Puttur is still a bit of a mess unfortunately because of the road widening thing.

BTW, there are 2 roads I saw : one is the usual Bhagamandala First cross -> Sampaje road - the Sampaje Ghat as we know. However, further down towards Bhagamandala ( a few kms from the first cross ), there is another road that has a distance board to Puttur : does this connect back to the Sampaje Ghat road and if so, where ?
You are right, the road between Puttur and Mani is under construction and is in a very bad shape. The speed of the work too isn't helping, I have seen this road in same state for a couple months now.
Old 15th June 2011, 17:54   #3428
BHPian

I am planning to drive to mangalore this weekend. I will be driving from bangalore to mysore on friday night, and will be starting from mysore to mangalore on saturday early morning.

Please let me know the best route to take from mysore, considering the current road conditions.
I will be driving my figo.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:52   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
I am planning to drive to mangalore this weekend. I will be driving from bangalore to mysore on friday night, and will be starting from mysore to mangalore on saturday early morning.

Please let me know the best route to take from mysore, considering the current road conditions.
I will be driving my figo.
Considering the ongoing works on the Sampaje Ghat road, the best option would be Mysore-KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Hassan bypass-Sakleshpur-Mangalore.

The Mysore-Hassan road is a very beautiful two lane road and Hassan-Mangalore stretch via Shiradi Ghat is good as per latest updates. Of course it will add approx 30 kms to your journey, but it has beautiful roads till Mangalore.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:33   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Considering the ongoing works on the Sampaje Ghat road, the best option would be Mysore-KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Hassan bypass-Sakleshpur-Mangalore.

The Mysore-Hassan road is a very beautiful two lane road and Hassan-Mangalore stretch via Shiradi Ghat is good as per latest updates. Of course it will add approx 30 kms to your journey, but it has beautiful roads till Mangalore.
Thanks buddy.
30kms extra doesn't matter, as long as the roads are in better condition.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:40   #3431
BHPian

Today's Kannada Daily Vijayakarnataka claims there are quite a bit of pot holes showing up in the shiradi ghats. Any updates on it ?
With Madikeri - Samapaje road open for traffic, is this a better bet to travel ?
BTW, I need to travel only till Puttur
Old 16th June 2011, 07:53   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Today's Kannada Daily Vijayakarnataka claims there are quite a bit of pot holes showing up in the shiradi ghats. Any updates on it ?
With Madikeri - Samapaje road open for traffic, is this a better bet to travel ?
BTW, I need to travel only till Puttur
Sampaje ghat work is not fully completed, half the length one has to travel on single lane and puttur - mani section is also not fully open. Considering all this, shiradi ghats with few potholes is much better option.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 12:26   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
That's because of the excessive rains(Monsoon) in that region.
It has been continously raining near Sakleshpura and surrounding areas.
Wish the work carried out recently in shiradi ghat is good and passes the monsoon test without a heart break
Old 17th June 2011, 12:55   #3434
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need your valuable suggestions on planning a road trip from Bangalore to Mangalore during Aug 12-15. Plan is as follows:
1. Leave Blr on Aug 12
2. Stay at Mangalore on nights of Aug 12, 13, 14
3. Leave Mangalore on Aug 15

My constraint is that I have vouchers for a hotel in Mangalore so looking for ideas on various places to visit/see keeping Mangalore as hub
Would like to know the kind of weather to expect in Mangalore during Aug.
Also, the route and road conditions.

Last edited by NPV : 17th June 2011 at 12:57. Reason: missed requirement
Old 17th June 2011, 14:28   #3435
Senior - BHPian

NPV, Monsoon will be active till october in this regain, which includes ghats and the coast. road condition is expected to be bit bad as most of the years we have witnessed the road conditions to go bad...
you can consider sampaje as it should be in better condition then the shiradi then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, need your valuable suggestions on planning a road trip from Bangalore to Mangalore during Aug 12-15. Plan is as follows:
1. Leave Blr on Aug 12
2. Stay at Mangalore on nights of Aug 12, 13, 14
3. Leave Mangalore on Aug 15

My constraint is that I have vouchers for a hotel in Mangalore so looking for ideas on various places to visit/see keeping Mangalore as hub
Would like to know the kind of weather to expect in Mangalore during Aug.
Also, the route and road conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks