Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:01   #3691
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

For Non-vegetarians, there is another place called the Imperial Heritage just next to Ossoor Veg Restaurant. It is a decent place. When in Hassan, I and my friends usually drive to this place to have dinner (mostly on sundays). Have not been disappointed till now.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:02   #3692
Team-BHP Support

Aditya in Uppinagady is decent. Vidhata Dhaba just before Hassan is excellent. I thought Imperial Heitage is just a resort, they have a restaurant too?
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:16   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aditya in Uppinagady is decent. Vidhata Dhaba just before Hassan is excellent. I thought Imperial Heitage is just a resort, they have a restaurant too?
Yes, they have a restaurant. Initially even we thought it was just a resort. Some acquaintance of mine told us about it. I was not impressed in my first visit there, but later found out that they improved very much and now it is a good and decent eatout.
Old 7th October 2011, 16:12   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Update...

Shiradi as usual is the hero can say the road has gone quiet bad in 1 month, dust fog makes it hard to drive at times during the day, am sure would be worse during the day...

Still manageable if one is patient...

On restaurants, Mayura has gone bad, for the price they charge the quality is pathetic...

Last edited by lohithrao : 7th October 2011 at 16:19.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:28   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
For breakfast either try Vinayaka cafe in Kadur or Preeti canteen in Birur. Both are decent and they serve you to car.
On a previous Bangalore->Shimoga->Kollur trip, I tried to spot the above 2 places on my way back in the evening for a snacks-break and could not locate both. Next time around, with an early morning start from Bangalore, planning to stop in either of the places for breakfast. So, please help me locate the 2 places and let me know if 3 hours would be enough from Bangalore to reach? Also, please let me know if they have good toilet facilities as well? If not, what are the options to have a good toilet break for the ladies and elders in the gang, preferably just before these places?
Old 8th October 2011, 13:11   #3696
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, Shirady is dry again. Don't let the clean road fool you. This is just before the bad stretch starts. About 2kms before Gundya, visible only if you are driving towards Bangalore.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pa010995.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pa010996.jpg
Old 8th October 2011, 17:46   #3697
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling back to Bangalore tomorrow morning. had a hectic temple visit spree from last 4 days.

Yes Shiradi is bad but its pretty dry so easy to spot the pot holes and avoid bad bumps, but then inner roads are even bad. Sulya-puttur-Mani stretch is pretty horrible.

Good to see that the work is in good progress between Mangalore-udupi all the way up north past kundapur.

i have experienced everything on this trip. good road, bad road, "No road", a flat tyre in murudeshwar(on top near big shiva, at 12PM scorching sun),

Noticed that 90% of the vehicles were from Bangalore and they were everywhere, All the temples, all the beaches, Driving in typical Bangalore style.
Similar bad roads, and same Qualis folk who drive like nuts.

I just felt like i was roaming around Bangalore ORR this weekend
Old 8th October 2011, 18:49   #3698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, Shirady is dry again. Don't let the clean road fool you. This is just before the bad stretch starts. About 2kms before Gundya, visible only if you are driving towards Bangalore.
Dont how it would be after 2km, but those snaps really show nature at its best.
Sunlight. Greens and Clouds looming over the hills!
Old 8th October 2011, 19:47   #3699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What i thought was that road is towards puttur, are you saying there is a way to reach kukke Subramanya without going to Sulya ?

To be specific, i need to go to Bellare town, that is why i am taking madikeri-sulya route.
There is a way to reach Kukke Subramanya without touching Sullia. You need to take a right turn after 6-7 kms from Sampaje which goes to Subramanya (it goes through a place called Markanja). The road is narrow but its in a good condition and traffic density is thin.

If you need to go to Bellare, take left at Markanja which leads you to a place called Paichar (Sullia - Subramanya road), take a U-turn there which will lead you to Bellare. The road is in excellent condition.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:59   #3700
Senior - BHPian

A small correction in the above post. The place to take U-turn is not "Paichar". Its "Sonangeri". The place to take right turn to go towards Markanja from Madikeri-Sullia road is little before a place called "Aranthodu".
Old 9th October 2011, 23:40   #3701
BHPian

Came to bangalore today evening , via shiradi, witnessed lot of traffic after ghats and it rained all the way from sakleshpur to bangalore.

OT. There is a new hotel on the left side, while coming from uppinangady about 25 kms after aditya hotel. Board said pure veg. Forgot the name of the hotel, didnt check either
Old 10th October 2011, 10:09   #3702
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Kukke - Bangalore over the weekend. Nothing's changed compared to August. The roads are equally bad if not better. This time the car was fully loaded and had the misfortune to scrap each and every pothole/crater. Took the usual Shiradi route. Continuous downpour after Sakaleshpura all the the way to Bangalore. And had a horrible time to locate decent hotels. I don't think we have any decent hotels in this route, every hotel is a compromise.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:19   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
And had a horrible time to locate decent hotels. I don't think we have any decent hotels in this route, every hotel is a compromise.
I did Kukke - Bnagalore on 5th October. Had foreseen similar issues for food during drive. So I have got some food packed from hotel at Kukke for 4 persons and stopped after Shiradi and took lunch break. This worked for me. May be you can try this next time
Old 10th October 2011, 17:13   #3704
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
I have got some food packed from hotel at Kukke for 4 persons and stopped after Shiradi and took lunch break. This worked for me. May be you can try this next time
This is the exact point we discussed after we were done with the hotel woes
The hotels are overloaded with the number of travellers on this route and this appears to be the best option.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:19   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I drove to Chikmagalur and surrounding area over the last 4 days. Some key points:

- NH48 is an excellent stretch of 4-lane road from Nelamangala till Belur Cross - complete in all aspects without any diversions. I found this stretch to be very well engineered with provision of banking at turns/curves, much better than SH-17 (Mysore Road). Also, Kunigal is completely by-passed which is a BIG relief.

- From Belur Cross till Hassan the road is good, albeit 2-lane, with occasional (slightly) bad stretches. Four-laning is in full swing from Belur Cross till CR Pattana. Per my discussion with a local, the plan is to complete the 4-lane stretch all the way till Hassan by December-2014.

- Hassan-Belur road is as good as ever

- Belur-Chikmagalur is surprisingly good with only the first 8-10 kms (from Belur towards CKM) being bad/pothole-ridden.

All in all, the drive took me 4.5 hours (from Kaimara Jn. to my residence in Whitefield) including 20 minutes at the Nelamangala toll gate Even here people jump lanes!!!!

Additionally, a friend of mine happened to do Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri over the weekend and was horrified to see the road conditions, which were pathetic almost all the way. Looks like rains have done significant damage. So coming back to the 'art', what would be the optimal route now for Bangalore-Kundapura?

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th October 2011 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks