Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 17:21   #3706
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
So coming back to the 'art', what would be the optimal route now for Bangalore-Kundapura?
From what I was told when I was planning my B'lore-Manipal trip, the Kudremukh-Karkala route is bad (route to avoid M'lore).

The best bet remain travelling to M'lore and then driving straight on NH17 to Kundapura. I don't think there's any better bypass for that.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:25   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The best bet remain travelling to M'lore and then driving straight on NH17 to Kundapura. I don't think there's any better bypass for that.
Given that Mangalore-Udupi is a mess in view of the ongoing 4-lane activity, I'd avoid this stretch. How about going via Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi?
Old 10th October 2011, 17:29   #3708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Given that Mangalore-Udupi is a mess in view of the ongoing 4-lane activity, I'd avoid this stretch. How about going via Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi?
This route is not that great right now, but you will avoid traffic. I am planning to take this route next, after trying mangalore route 3 times before. I will be travelling on Shiradi 3 times again in the next 20 days.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th October 2011 at 17:52.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:42   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to what Samurai says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This route is not that great right now, but you will avoid traffic. I am planning to take this route next, after trying mangalore route 3 times before. I will travelling on Shiradi 3 times again in the next 20 days.
Going all the way to Managalore helps.

Keep going on the 4 lane, instead of Padil, and you will join the NH17 near Nantoor signal. this way you can avoid the padil-pumpwell road which is in bad shape(takes atleast 10-15mins)

Mangalore to padubidre is in good shape, padubidre to udupi widening work is in progress, but even half side is much better than the earlier full road

Typical time taken(at an average 80kmph speed)

Udupi-Mangalore 1hr - 1hr 15 mins
Mangalore-BC Road 15-20 mins
BC Road-Uppinangadi - 20-25 mins
Uppinangadi-Dharmastala crossing 20-25 mins

Roads are pretty good all the way, and this is much faster(easily you can save around 30 mins)

Time your journey well and you may not hit so much of traffic.
Old 10th October 2011, 21:06   #3710
BHPian

Originally Posted by Fauji
For breakfast either try Vinayaka cafe in Kadur or Preeti canteen in Birur. Both are decent and they serve you to car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
On a previous Bangalore->Shimoga->Kollur trip, I tried to spot the above 2 places on my way back in the evening for a snacks-break and could not locate both. Next time around, with an early morning start from Bangalore, planning to stop in either of the places for breakfast. So, please help me locate the 2 places and let me know if 3 hours would be enough from Bangalore to reach? Also, please let me know if they have good toilet facilities as well? If not, what are the options to have a good toilet break for the ladies and elders in the gang, preferably just before these places?
Can someone reply please? Also, is there any good hotel that meets the above conditions in the same route, say at Tiptur or Arskere?
Old 10th October 2011, 21:54   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
For breakfast either try Vinayaka cafe in Kadur or Preeti canteen in Birur. Both are decent and they serve you to car.

Can someone reply please? Also, is there any good hotel that meets the above conditions in the same route, say at Tiptur or Arskere?
Last time when I travelled in this route (sometime in May) I came across a hotel located a few km before Arasikere town (when coming towards bangalore). It had decent toilets. I only had coffee there, so I dont know how the food is. I dont remember its name, but it is easy to locate as it is the only building there.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:14   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

So coming back to the 'art', what would be the optimal route now for Bangalore-Kundapura?
Does it make sense to go via BLR - Shivamogga - Tirthahalli - Kundapura route? the road between Tirthahalli and Kundapura was good a month ago . Not sure about its present condition.

Quote:

I have seen a hotel near CB Cross - before Tiptur - where one can see some busses standing. This hotel may have some toilets. Also, there is a PAI Hotel in Tiptur - bang in the main circle - which may have toilets.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:15   #3713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I have seen a hotel near CB Cross - before Tiptur - where one can see some busses standing.

I think you meant to say KB cross (short for Kibbanahalli cross), right?
Old 11th October 2011, 13:20   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I think you meant to say KB cross (short for Kibbanahalli cross), right?
Yes sir. Thanks for correcting. KB Cross or Kibbanahalli cross.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:13   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a previous Bangalore->Shimoga->Kollur trip, I tried to spot the above 2 places on my way back in the evening for a snacks-break and could not locate both. Next time around, with an early morning start from Bangalore, planning to stop in either of the places for breakfast. So, please help me locate the 2 places and let me know if 3 hours would be enough from Bangalore to reach? Also, please let me know if they have good toilet facilities as well? If not, what are the options to have a good toilet break for the ladies and elders in the gang, preferably just before these places?
Vinayaka cafe can be spotted before just before you enter Kadur town on the right hand side when you are driving from Bangalore. Preethi canteen can be spotted on the left hand side after you cross Birur when you are coming from Bangalore.

I am afraid if there are any good toilet facilities on this road. You can however try in PAI Hotel in Tiptur. Also there is a big road side restuarant in KB Cross where you can try. Also there is a big Dhabha kind of restuarant just before you enter Arsikere tank bund road - i think it is Ajith Dhabha - which may have the facilities

Yes, Kadur, Arsikere and Birur can be reached witihn three hours if you leave Bangalore early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
There is a way to reach Kukke Subramanya without touching Sullia. You need to take a right turn after 6-7 kms from Sampaje which goes to Subramanya (it goes through a place called Markanja). The road is narrow but its in a good condition and traffic density is thin.

If you need to go to Bellare, take left at Markanja which leads you to a place called Paichar (Sullia - Subramanya road), take a U-turn there which will lead you to Bellare. The road is in excellent condition.
Does this mean that one can take Madikeri - Sampaje - Kukke route comfortably and roads are in good condition?
Old 11th October 2011, 18:26   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to go via BLR - Shivamogga - Tirthahalli - Kundapura route?
You are referring to the route via Agumbe and not Hulikal, right?
Old 11th October 2011, 22:31   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this mean that one can take Madikeri - Sampaje - Kukke route comfortably and roads are in good condition?
Excellent road from Madikeri to Sampaje (barring a 1 km bad stretch in between) I had driven in that Markanja road around 2 months back and was in good condition. Inquired with my cousin last week who stays there and got to know that its still in a good condition. After Sampaje, you need to traverse a bad stretch of 3-4 kms before taking right turn towards Markanja.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 08:27   #3718
BHPian

Quote:
You are referring to the route via Agumbe and not Hulikal, right?
Hulikal roads is goner (it was gone a year ago, no change in status!). Few km after Thirthalli towards Agumbe, roads aren't in decent condition all the way till Someshwara. Though they all full of potholes, no caterers (except once you enter agumbe). Roads between Arsikere and Tiptur also have lots of potholes, not to forget local traffic.

Road between Jayapura and Balehonnur was bad a month ago, surprise to hear it was bad all the way till Sringeri.

Guess going Kundapur is Art now!
Old 12th October 2011, 14:44   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Hulikal roads is goner (it was gone a year ago, no change in status!). Few km after Thirthalli towards Agumbe, roads aren't in decent condition all the way till Someshwara. Though they all full of potholes, no caterers (except once you enter agumbe). Roads between Arsikere and Tiptur also have lots of potholes, not to forget local traffic.
So NH206 is ruled out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Guess going Kundapur is Art now!
You bet - time to include Kundapur in the thread title Looks like the best bet is to go via Shiradi - Dharmastala - Karkala - Manipal.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:19   #3720
Senior - BHPian

We had amazing journey in last 4 days. Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Sampaje-Kukke Subramanya-Gundya-Enjira-Arasinamakki (stream of joy homestray halt) -Dharmasthala-Ujjire-amazing Charmadi-Koratagere-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Sringeri-Koppa-Thirthahalli-Nagar-Madodi (Simha farms homestay halt)-amazing Kodachadri-Kollur-Baindur-Bhatkal-Honnavar. Out of 830km we encountered basd stretches in Sampaje (15km), Gundya(5km), Dharmastala(2km), Charmadi(10km), Kalasa(15km), Sringeri(20km). Rest all nice experience. Highlight of trip: we took 1600+ photos with 12Megapixel shots with amazing views.

To travel between udupi/mangalore-Bangalore best option is train else via shiradi for faster route and via charmadi for scenic route :-)

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks