Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 16:43   #3811
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

My Dad returned from a drive back via Shiradi yesterday.

About 20 kms is in real bad shape, which took him about an hour.

There are talks (amongst our coastal relatives) of Rs. 5 crores getting sanctioned for the ghat road repairs. Hope this is true, and the works get completed before I drive down in Feb.

My cousin plans to use his brand new car (yet to be selected) to ferry his brand new wife (already selected) back via Shiradi

I will ask him to watch this thread closely
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:40   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123
Bangalore to Goa - I would have thought the best route would be through Hubli. I think I read in Team-BHP forum that Udupi-Goa is bad. So unless you have a strong reason to avoid the Hubli route, I would recommend that... May be you can share why you wouldnt like to go via Hubli.
Had done an udupi-goa-udupi drive in a figo 2 weeks back. Roads are now repaired, except for a ten kilometer stretch near byndoor. Even those 10 kilometers or so are not very bad.
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:44   #3813
Senior - BHPian

People moving towards Belur-Chikmagalur and beyond from Hassan, please watch out for speed guns. I heard that the interceptors are regularly seen at a location is around 3 kms from Thanneeruhalla (Mangalore road-Belur Road junction) in Hassan.

One of my friends had to pay a fine of Rs.500 a couple of days back. Apparently he was going at 90kmph while the speed limit board showed 50kmph.

Posting speed limits and catching offenders is fine, but there has to some sense while deciding a limit for a road. 50 kmph on such a road is pathetic.
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:04   #3814

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am afraid this is the better route compared to others. What are you planning to drive ?
Shiradi is still widest and fastest route to reach Mangalore.

I always get mixed feedback about shiradi. the regulars who have seen the state of the roads in 2008-2010 will surely feel its not as worse. but those who have taken this route recently or say 2005-2006 time might find it horrible.

Off topic: I drive on Bellandur-marath halli stretch of Outer ring road daily, trust me Shiradi is not worse than this stretch
Raj, I got the idea as I regularly use ORR. I think i can manage thro' Shiradi. Yes, I am regular user of this stretch from 2008 onwards. Will be driving Swift (Hatch). Thanks guys. Appreciate you all.

Need to head back home for a early hour trip to Mangalore. Will update the status once I am back in the mid week.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:12   #3815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
People moving towards Belur-Chikmagalur and beyond from Hassan, please watch out for speed guns. I heard that the interceptors are regularly seen at a location is around 3 kms from Thanneeruhalla (Mangalore road-Belur Road junction) in Hassan.

One of my friends had to pay a fine of Rs.500 a couple of days back. Apparently he was going at 90kmph while the speed limit board showed 50kmph.

Posting speed limits and catching offenders is fine, but there has to some sense while deciding a limit for a road. 50 kmph on such a road is pathetic.
I had seen an interceptor van in sakleshpur as well. I
t was parked inside the police station as i typically leave early and cross sakleshpur before 8-9ish. I dont think they wake up so early anyways

But i too had a strong hunch that they will be using it sooner or later on people who start bit late.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 10:07   #3816
BHPian

Guys, i will be driving from Mysore to Mangalore this friday and back on Sunday. I was checking on the routes between Mysore to Mangalore, based on the updates across various threads i have few questions. I will be driving a Esteem with senior citizens

Gathered that the road conditions between Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje is good.
  1. How is the road condition between Sampaje and Subramanya?
  2. From Subramanya can we take the Gundya - Mangalore. Will we be avoiding the worst part of the Shiradi Ghat?
  3. How is the Subramanya - Kadaba - Uppinangadi stretch?
  4. How is the Bisle Ghat road now? Any improvements on the road conditions?
  5. Comparitively would Mysore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore be a better option.
  6. On the way back, we would be leaving Mangalore by 6 am, are there any good hotels for breakfast around Uppinangadi ?
Old 4th December 2011, 10:57   #3817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
It was my first time on that route. Enjoy the drive. What car are you driving and how many people?
I have probably taken the Agumbe-Sringeri-CKM route 10 times just this year. Done it in both i10 and Grand Vitara, but mostly the latter and mostly alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
From Subramanya can we take the Gundya - Mangalore. Will we be avoiding the worst part of the Shiradi Ghat?
Subramanya -Gundya is in bad shape, but you will avoid the Shiradi fiasco completely.

Quote:
How is the Subramanya - Kadaba - Uppinangadi stretch?
Don't know, but don't get your hope high.

Quote:
How is the Bisle Ghat road now? Any improvements on the road conditions?
In an esteem, carrying senior citizens? Don't even think about it.

Quote:
Comparitively would Mysore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore be a better option.
If you drive very carefully, yeah.

Quote:
On the way back, we would be leaving Mangalore by 6 am, are there any good hotels for breakfast around Uppinangadi ?
Yes, Hotel Aditya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
Wouldn't really call it "fixed" but we didnt have to stop beside a crator (as in Shiradi ghat) and wonder how to get around it.
I saw works going on between Hiriadka-Hebri.
There are stretches you wouldn't consider to be "smooth" but they were within our tolerable limits - I have traveled on Shiradi many-a-time - so you will know what I mean
What I liked really was the we didnt really have to slow down to complete stops - had to come down to 20 at a few places and may be go at 30 and few places due to not-so-smooth roads, but largely it didnt hurt us nor the car.
I took this route on Friday, but wasn't really thrilled. Instead of 30kms of highly concentrated potholed stretch, I had to deal with 160kms of on and off potholed stretch. Frankly, I prefer the former. The trouble with on and off pothole is that, you get surprised by them and run over them at higher speeds. They have barely fixed anything since two months back when I drove by here. I am driving back in 10 days, I'll take Shiradi instead.

Check out Agumbe ghat which is in really pathetic state right now. There were even bigger potholes in some places, but I didn't find place to park the car to take photographs in those places.

The rains stopped two months back and the worthies in PWD are yet find their collective marbles.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pc021366.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pc021367.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pc021370.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pc021371.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pc021373.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 4th December 2011 at 11:04.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 11:42   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Subramanya -Gundya is in bad shape, but you will avoid the Shiradi fiasco completely.

Yes, Hotel Aditya.
Thanks for the updates Samurai.

How bad is the Subramanya - Gundya. Is it as bad as Shiradi? Can it be done in an Esteem..?

Finally, from Mysore, if i travel through Madikeri - Sampaje - Subramanya - Gundya - Mangalore, then the bad stretch should be between Subramanya and Gundya only which is about 20 KMS (assuming Sampaje - Subramanya is ok).

On the other hand if i take Mysore - Hassan - Shiradi - Mangalore, then i will have to negotiate around 40 KMs of potholes in Shiradi.

So out of these two which do you think is better?

Could you tell me the exact location of Hotel Aditya. Are there any other hotels nearby?

edit - Just found Hotel Aditya, it is the one next to Government school on the left side while going towards Bangalore. Any other options here?

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 4th December 2011 at 11:47.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:17   #3819

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am afraid this is the better route compared to others. What are you planning to drive ?
Shiradi is still widest and fastest route to reach Mangalore.

I always get mixed feedback about shiradi. the regulars who have seen the state of the roads in 2008-2010 will surely feel its not as worse. but those who have taken this route recently or say 2005-2006 time might find it horrible.

Off topic: I drive on Bellandur-marath halli stretch of Outer ring road daily, trust me Shiradi is not worse than this stretch
Came back from Mangalore via Shiradi. Used the same route for both ways.

To Mangalore it took me 7.5 hours excluding multiple breaks. Left Whitefield at 6AM
To Bangalore it took me 8.5 hours excluding mutiple breaks and to fix the puncture. Left Mangalore at 8AM. Evening Bangalore traffic affected a lot.

Your comparison worked for me psychologically! Could manage the ghat pretty well. Patch works have started near Gundya side. Not sure whether they really want to fill the potholes, I didn't see much difference in two days. May be they are in the start of the process. Status remains the same as mentioned by our fellow team-bhpians. Carefulness and patience should help us easily (subjective!) manage this road at the present condition.

Off-Topic: Hey one more motivation which helped me to drive is if Jaguar XK can manage Shiradi Ghat why not Swift. I saw a Jaguar XK being maneuvered. I am pretty sure if 100mm of ground clearance can manage this ghat, why not all other cars. God knows how many times the under body has touched the road.
deepax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 09:21   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Came back from Mangalore via Shiradi. Used the same route for both ways.

To Mangalore it took me 7.5 hours excluding multiple breaks. Left Whitefield at 6AM
To Bangalore it took me 8.5 hours excluding mutiple breaks and to fix the puncture. Left Mangalore at 8AM. Evening Bangalore traffic affected a lot.

Your comparison worked for me psychologically! Could manage the ghat pretty well. Patch works have started near Gundya side. Not sure whether they really want to fill the potholes, I didn't see much difference in two days. May be they are in the start of the process. Status remains the same as mentioned by our fellow team-bhpians. Carefulness and patience should help us easily (subjective!) manage this road at the present condition.
So its official, those who want to know the state of Shiradi, please have a practice run between Bellandur-marathhalli ring road .
I have been doing off-roading on my swift for close to a year now on ORR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Off-Topic: Hey one more motivation which helped me to drive is if Jaguar XK can manage Shiradi Ghat why not Swift. I saw a Jaguar XK being maneuvered. I am pretty sure if 100mm of ground clearance can manage this ghat, why not all other cars. God knows how many times the under body has touched the road.
My guess is, it was being taken to deliver to some rich coastal business man.. with free under body scratches.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:28   #3821
BHPian

Is there an alternate route to reach Manipal from Bangalore ? It is difficult to figure out the best route from all the various responses in this forum. If I drive next weekend, it would be with a Honda City with low clearance.

Deepak
Old 7th December 2011, 09:31   #3822
Team-BHP Support

I haven't traveled on Shiradi since Oct 30th. How much has it changed since then? I am thinking of taking Shiradi next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
Is there an alternate route to reach Manipal from Bangalore ? It is difficult to figure out the best route from all the various responses in this forum. If I drive next weekend, it would be with a Honda City with low clearance.
There is nothing like a best route during or after monsoon. If you prefer 30kms of highly concentrated potholes, you can take Shiradi. On the other hand if you prefer well spaced potholes over 160kms, take Agumbe/Sringeri/CKM route.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:28   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. How is the Bisle Ghat road now? Any improvements on the road conditions?
Bisle Ghat is best avoided anytime with its narrow roads and horribly potholed craters.
The last time I went through it in the Aug Sep, some engine oil plug got loose due to all the shake up and the car was leaking oil

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th December 2011 at 10:30.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:59   #3824
BHPian

Did Mangalore - Bangalore today by my VW Polo TDI. Left Mangalore at 9 am. and reached Saklaspur at 12.15 pm. via Shiradi ghat without any stops enroute. The only bad stretch as usual was the ghat road....but the somewhat good news is that patch work on potholes or craters was being done from Gundya onwards up the ghat. Had lunch at Saklaspur and reached yeshwantpur at 4 pm. I still feel that this is the best road amongst the options available to drive between Mangalore & Bangalore. Just take enough care to see that the car bottom does not scrape the road on the ghat section.
uvmallya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 10:52   #3825
Senior - BHPian

I came by Durgamba bus last night to Mangalore. The road is as bad as it was in December last year! There were many good stretches spanning 1 or 2 km every now and then. I remember, until last year it used to be one 25 km bad stretch with no respite.

I saw plenty accidents, one of which I posted in the accidents thread. I was awake all night, so saw many fallen trucks.

One between Sakleshpur and the ghat section, where a truck had drifted to the oncoming lane and then beyond, to fall upside down in a ditch.

In the ghat section, a trailer carrying a crane had fallen on its left at a sharp left turn. Overspeeding plus bouncy roads, obviously. But this truck fell away from the road.

Similarly, another truck fell on its right at a sharp right while coming upwards. It was in the middle of the road, so the traffic jam was LONG!

I don't understand why trucks overspeed! But buses are not any less. Our bus had no luggage on the top, so was overtaking 2 - 3 buses/trucks at a time. Finally I was glad to reach home in one piece and get some sleep.

Most Viewed