Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 13:21   #3856
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did BLR - MLR on 25th Dec via Shiradi Ghats and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of ghat sections which were in absolute ruins earlier are now patched up. The quality of road patching leaves a lot to be desired but still better than navigating those moon craters which existed some 3-4 months back. The bad sections still exists, but the real bad ones may be some 8-10 sections only. I saw all sorts of cars traversing this route but I'd advise low GC vehicles to keep away for 1 more month till the patching is complete or drive with extreme caution

Travel Time: 6hr 22 Mins
Distance: 395 Kms (Door-to Door)

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 30th December 2011 at 13:24.
Old 30th December 2011, 14:52   #3857
BHPian

@Rohitm : did you consider the Bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Honnavara route ( at a little over 490 kms )?

You can do Sirsi in 6 hours - 6 hours 15 minutes via NH4/SH. Is the Sirsi-Kumta stretch in good condition ( it was, in May I think ..)?

Haveri - Sirsi has about 15-20 kms of bad stretches that's all.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:43   #3858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire
Did BLR - MLR on 25th Dec via Shiradi Ghats and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of ghat section....

Travel Time: 6hr 22 Mins
Distance: 395 Kms (Door-to Door)
The distance doesn't look right.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:44   #3859
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Hassan-Shiradi Ghats-Mangalore-Udupi-Byndoor on 24th Dec. Started from home( Sarjapur Road ) at 6AM and reached Byndoor at 4:30 PM including an hour break. Shiradi Ghats was bad as expected although repair work has started in patches. There are a lot of craters and one has to come to a stand still to negotiate the same. I was driving an i10 and the bottom didnt scrape anywhere. The road form Mangalore to Byndoor ( NH17 ) is good but only a continuous stretch of diversions. Since there is no divider, if a slow vehicle comes in front of you overtaking is a pain becaue of high movement of traffic on this stretch.

Came back from Byndoor to Bangalore from Byndoor-Honavara-Sagar-Shimoga-Chitradurga-Bangalore route. Started at 8Am and reached home at around 7:30PM. This included around an hour of break + me missing the exit for Nice Road and hence taking you turn and coming back. The good thing about this route is that till Chitradurga, traffic is sparse. The Honavara-Sagar stretch has bad patches but easily manageable. The state highway is in excellent shape and you can consistently maintain 80-100kmph speeds. The only downside is that it passes through many villages and before and after every village, there are speed breakers which force you to slow down and then again gain speed. Chitradurga to Bangalore is great road and you can maintain 100+ speeds very easily
Old 30th December 2011, 15:46   #3860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
@Rohitm : did you consider the Bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Honnavara route ( at a little over 490 kms )?

You can do Sirsi in 6 hours - 6 hours 15 minutes via NH4/SH. Is the Sirsi-Kumta stretch in good condition ( it was, in May I think ..)?

Haveri - Sirsi has about 15-20 kms of bad stretches that's all.
Yes, Bangalore - Sirsi is easily doable in 6 ~ 6 1/2 hrs via this route. Haveri - Sirsi is about 75 kms of which about 60% of the roads are manageable at an avg of 60kmph, rest one will be passing through small villages and small broken roads with some large craters.

Sirsi - Kumta is in good condition and I managed to do that in about an hour in September. Kumta - Honnavar was in horrible condition with craters as big as wells . The 20 km stretch took us 45 mins. I must also add that it was raining very heavily at that time and I chose not to overtake at all and simply followed a lorry.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:58   #3861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The distance doesn't look right.
Do you think it is More or Less? I've mentioned Door-to-Door Distance.

It is correct as correlated by ODO and GPS. The ODO shows slightly less due to tire up-size.

Sarjapur Rd - NICE Rd - Neelamangala - Hassan - Shiradi - Pumpwell Jn - Kerala Rd - Old Kolya

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 30th December 2011 at 16:01.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:59   #3862
BHPian

So that's a decent 7 hours to Kumta and 7.45 hours to Honnavar ( if you can bear that 45 minutes , it looks )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Kumta - Honnavar was in horrible condition with craters as big as wells . The 20 km stretch took us 45 mins. I must also add that it was raining very heavily at that time and I chose not to overtake at all and simply followed a lorry.
Ah, the vagaries of traveling on NH 17. I still remember the condition near Kundapura in september this year vividly. For a moment I sincerely hoped that the concrete roading turning into Kundapura town was the actual NH 17 , but alas!

Last edited by airguitar : 30th December 2011 at 16:08.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:42   #3863
BHPian

Just got back from a drive coast-to-coast.
As mentioned by someone, small stretches between Gundya and Sakleshpur are absolutely non-existant. Patch work was in progress at a couple locations.
On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see butter-smooth tarmac between Hassan and Sakleshpur. It was almost a dream stretch.
Apart from the few kilometres of non-existant road, the overall stretch between Hassan and Mangalore was better than I expected.
Expect to cover Bangalore-Mangalore in about 7 hours with a break included and with a relaxed drive. I did encounter a couple of maniacs doing breakneck speeds overtaking recklessly and in blind corners in the ghats just before branching off towards Dharmasthala. Anyways, best not to get into any form of competition with those yellow boards!
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:02   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Sirsi - Kumta is in good condition and I managed to do that in about an hour in September. Kumta - Honnavar was in horrible condition with craters as big as wells . The 20 km stretch took us 45 mins. I must also add that it was raining very heavily at that time and I chose not to overtake at all and simply followed a lorry.
Which route did you take from Sirsi to Kumta? Sirsi-Siddapur-Bilgi-Kumta or Sirsi-Devimane-Mirjan-Kumta?
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:18   #3865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
So that's a decent 7 hours to Kumta and 7.45 hours to Honnavar ( if you can bear that 45 minutes , it looks )
To reach Kumta from Blr in 7~ 7 1/2 hrs one would have to do some pretty serious speeds on NH4 upto Haveri. Plus you would have to start early from Bangalore to avoid the city traffic. Otherwise getting to the elevated road to Nelamangala itself would take anywhere between 1/2 hr to 1hr depending from where you start.

8~ 8/12 hrs would be a more realistic amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Which route did you take from Sirsi to Kumta? Sirsi-Siddapur-Bilgi-Kumta or Sirsi-Devimane-Mirjan-Kumta?
Route no.2 . Always.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:58   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Not wanting to risk the ghat ,we took the Durgamba multi axle Volvo to Mangalore .

For the first time ,did we like a bus journey .The bus was brand new and was very clean.Seats were reclining sufficiently and I at 5.10 feet didnt have issues with leg room which has always been a problem with most operators these days .

This was one of the best bus journeys we had . No sudden braking ,not much body roll and it was comfortable .

Now for the timings that would ashame all car drivers .

1115 pm ,we are stuck at the toll on the NH4 bottleneck and I sleep off .130 am i see the bus reversing at Kamath .

Now I decide I wouldnt sleep and I exchange seats with the co-driver ,who agrees to come and sit on my sit . Like I said ,this was one of the best drivings that I have seen till date .The driver was conscious of the large size and was very careful when overtaking .No overtakings on blind corners whereas other buses ( b7rs - both private and KSRTC) were overtaking us on those blind corners ! Superb gear changes ,use of retarders ...

Finally we reach mangalore at 5 am !!

The bus did it in about 6 hours which included ( 15 mins break at Kamath + another 20 mins break on the ghat )
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:42   #3867

Re: madikeri-sampage -highway closed for works

Any updates on whether the road is open or still closed? We are planning a trip to Coorg and were wondering if we could drive down to Udipi from there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We are planning to drive there in mid March.

Thanks

Rajiv
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:56   #3868
Team-BHP Support

Mid march? Lot of things can change by then, check for the status just a week before.

Right now the road is open, but is in a very bad shape.
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:11   #3869
BHPian

Back from Teerth yatra .

Route taken :
Bangalore -(Shiradi) - dharmasthala - (charmadi) - hornadu - kalasa - sringeri - (Agumbe) - Mandarthi - Barkur - Kundapur - anegudde kumbashi - Kollur - udupi - mangalore - (Shiradi) - Bangalore.

Time taken : 4 Days
Kms travelled : 1400 kms
Vehicle taken : New Swift D

Fair knowledge of offroading greatly helped in shiradi ghat
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:00   #3870

Yes, I know it's a little ahead in time, but we need to plan. We are driving from Mumbai, stopover in Bangalore and then going on to Madikeri. From there, we were planning to go to Mangalore and Udipi and then drive back to Mumbai from there.

However, if the road from Madikeri to Mangalore is closed or in very bad shape, we would prefer to drive back to Mysore, halt there for a day and then back to Mumbai.

We need to plan accordingly and book hotels as we are travelling with small kids, so dont want to take any chances.

@ Samurai, thanks for the info.

Regards,

Rajiv

Most Viewed