Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 16:08   #3886

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Drove from Manipal to BLR on the 1st of Jan. Decided to come via Agumbe - Shimoga which should have been ideally around 420 kms. But took two detours which added around 60 kms or so. The route was

Manipal -> Agumbe -> Thirthahalli -> Shimoga -> Chitradurga -> Bangalore

From Manipal when I left, I was specifically asked not to take the Hiriadika - Hebri stretch as it was supposedly very bad. So, I had to head nearly upto Karkala and before the town there is state highway 1 that leads up back to Hebri. This should be about extra 25 kms, but locals assured me that it was worth the pain. Manipal to Karkala was recently patched up thanks to the visit by the CM. So the drive was good. Just after Agumbe, the roads are heavily patched for some distance, but no hassles in going through these.

As you get close to Thirthahalli, the roads are excellent and all the way to Bangalore they are great. From Shimoga, you can come back via NH 206 or head to Chitradurga and hit NH4. Both roads are good. I took the former while returning - which added another 30kms or so - as I was meeting another set of travelers at C'Durga and the kids wanted to ride together. The road from Shimoga to Channagiri is a bit painful with traffic - vehicular, human, livestock - and innumerable rumblers. After that, it is a great stretch all the way to C'Durga and from there NH4 was as always great, except for the nasty jam near the elevated roads toll both. People's behavior there was shocking as they decided to turn back, drive the wrong way and enter the service road.

In the recent past this is the third time that I have headed back to BLR at the end of a weekend and people's impatience at the toll booths have been a saddening sight.

With all the extra distance, my ODO showed about 480 kms and it took me about 10 hours door to door - including 2+ hours of pit stop. It was a bit tiring, but some of the stretches - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Shimoga, Channagiri - Chitradurga - made it worthwhile .
Old 11th January 2012, 16:58   #3887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajag View Post
With all the extra distance, my ODO showed about 480 kms and it took me about 10 hours door to door - including 2+ hours of pit stop. It was a bit tiring, but some of the stretches - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Shimoga, Channagiri - Chitradurga - made it worthwhile .
You wanted to torture yourself? Why such a round about route?

Two days back I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal, with a breakover in Mulki, it was about 416kms. Shiradi is mostly patched up now. No need to go in other winding roads. Door to door in 8 hours including breakfast & lunch is possible. If you drive via Dharmastala, it will be 20kms less.

Bangalore (Banaswadi) to Mangalore (Nantoor junction) - 345kms in 6 hours. This included breakfast at Mayura, fuel stop, wait for train crossing at MES road and dense fog until Yediyur. Another 30 minutes to Mulki and then 45 minutes more to Manipal.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th January 2012 at 17:03.
Old 11th January 2012, 20:10   #3888
BHPian

What is the latest on the road repair work going on at shiradi? Anyone traveling soon please do update the thread for the rest of us.
Old 11th January 2012, 21:07   #3889
BHPian

Did this route 2 days back and except for 3-4 corners which are still in horrible condition, the ghat is driveable.
Digital Vampire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 22:16   #3890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Did this route 2 days back and except for 3-4 corners which are still in horrible condition, the ghat is driveable.
This is encouraging, will be doing a trip to manipal in the next week, guess this scores Shiradi over Charmadi.

I had done this route during end December and the Shiradi ghat had about 30+km of bad roads, mostly the turnings, glad things are improved
Old 12th January 2012, 13:36   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
That is good news indeed. I might have to make a trip to mangalore during the last week of jan. Hopefully all the corners are done by then.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:57   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Doing the coastal temple circuit starting Saturday.

Which way to go? Shiradi or Charmadi?

No fixed itinerary and no must visit places.
Old 14th January 2012, 11:01   #3893
BHPian

Just drove drown through shiradi that this morning. Except for two bad patches all crators are patched up. However roads are bumpy.
Old 14th January 2012, 11:40   #3894
Team-BHP Support

Guys, Really! This is not Facebook. You can and should read couple pages back before posting new queries.

In post#3887, I report a two day old condition of Shiradi ghat. The very next poster (#3888) three hours later wants to know the status of Shiradi ghat.

So, somebody answers it again. The poster at #3890 declares that this scores Shiradi over Charmadi.

But............. that doesn't settle the matter. Less then 24 hours later somebody wants to know whether to take Shiradi or Charmady.

This is not the right way to use a forum like Team-BHP. We are not facebook, where people are not encouraged to look back at older status messages. Road conditions are not changing hour to hour on Shiradi. Please read the last couple pages before posting a new query. - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 10:29   #3895
BHPian

Planning for Bangalore - Kundapur from Jan 25-28, please advice best route,

1. via Shimoga,

2.Sringer-Agumbe

3 via Mangalore
Old 16th January 2012, 11:22   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Planning for Bangalore - Kundapur from Jan 25-28, please advice best route,

1. via Shimoga,

2.Sringer-Agumbe

3 via Mangalore
Hi Rajesh,

The most scenic is via Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Kundapura. However, the road around Hulikal is not great.

Via Managalore is the easiest except for Shiradi stretch which Samurai in latest post has said that is getting patched up.

If you are going via Agumbe you have two options

a) Go down Agumbe ghat via Haladi and Basrur. I am not sure of the road condition on this stretch.

b) Second option i to go via Agumbe - Tirthahalli, though longer. It will give you an oppportunity to visit beautiful Kundadri which falls on the way.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:16   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The most scenic is via Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Kundapura. However, the road around Hulikal is not great.
Fauji Sir - one can still go via Shimoga-Tirthahalli and avoid Hulikal by taking the Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Haladi route to reach Kundapura. Distance-wise, it would add only 10 odd km but the route is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Via Managalore is the easiest except for Shiradi stretch which Samurai in latest post has said that is getting patched up.
Agreed - however, the ongoing 4-laning in the Mangalore-Kundapura stretch might be an issue. Not sure of the latest state though.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 13:10   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Back home yesterday. Shiradi was a breeze to drive! A stretch or two is in bad shape. Road repair is going on at one or two places. Apart from that, its in very good condition.
sachinj12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 14:29   #3899

I am planning to drive to Karkala from Bangalore (1st week of Feb). I am planning
Nelamangala (NH 48) --> Kunigal --> Channarayapatna --> Hassan --> Shiradi --> Dharmasthala --> Ujire --> Venur --> Moodabidri --> Karkala

* Suggestions for stopovers/tank up on the way?
Old 19th January 2012, 19:07   #3900
BHPian

I will be visiting Mangalore on 26th and returning back on 29th. Looking forward to this trip.

Route planned is

Jayanagar, Kanapura Rd Nice entry, Kunigal, Hasan, Shiradi, Mangalore.

Will be stayin in Hotel President. Will be nice to meet some Mangalore T-BHPians .

Am also looking forward to eating Buns and all the other goodies Mangalore/Karkala/udupi has to offer.

Will update the road conditions as soon as I reach Mlore. Hoping to take some pics of Shiradi as well so that it can be posted here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks