Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 13:38   #3931
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

just drove today morning into mlore. Started fom jayanagar at 6AM. Took Nice road from K'pura to magadi road. Too Magadi road to kunigal. Stopped at the intersection of Magadi road and NH48 for tea. Reached kunigal at exactly 7AM. Reached Kamat CR Patna at 8:30AM. Left after bfast at 9:15AM. Nonstop to hotel prestige. Reached at 12:50PM.

Nice drive. No issues and it being a holiday helped as traffic was not much.

Shiradi was fine. All potholes patched up but the road is not smooth. Will have to reduce speed at many places. Overall very very decent and motorable. Even low GC cars will not scrape at any place.

Plan to return back on sunday morning.
Old 27th January 2012, 02:51   #3932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
just drove today morning into mlore. Started fom jayanagar at 6AM. Took Nice road from K'pura to magadi road. Too Magadi road to kunigal. Stopped at the intersection of Magadi road and NH48 for tea. Reached kunigal at exactly 7AM. Reached Kamat CR Patna at 8:30AM. Left after bfast at 9:15AM. Nonstop to hotel prestige. Reached at 12:50PM.

Nice drive. No issues and it being a holiday helped as traffic was not much.

Shiradi was fine. All potholes patched up but the road is not smooth. Will have to reduce speed at many places. Overall very very decent and motorable. Even low GC cars will not scrape at any place.

Plan to return back on sunday morning.
Hi ash_blore, will it be possible to post some snaps of the Hassan-Kunigal stretch ?, I am very curious of how it looks like ( havent traveled there for many years now)

Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:36   #3933
Senior - BHPian

Well you wont be able to recognize, every time i drive down i dont get the clue on where i am exactly, earlier it used to be the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Hi ash_blore, will it be possible to post some snaps of the Hassan-Kunigal stretch ?, I am very curious of how it looks like ( havent traveled there for many years now)

Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:45   #3934
Team-BHP Support

I will be driving down to Maravanthe beach (turtle bay resort) sometime in the first week of March for a long weekend. It would be 4 friends in a ANHC / Palio GTX. Some clarifications needed from Mangalore route gurus

There are two possible routes i can take to reach Maravanthe, given that it is near Kundapur
- Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Uppinangadi - Udupi - Maravanthe
OR
- Bangalore - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Maravanthe

Which of the 2 routes is better and why? I have done the infamous Mangalore route ghats (few years back in my accent) but how much of an angel is the other route via Hulikal? Will it prove to be better? Google maps lists the Hulikal route to be 35 km shorter in length. Also, how is the road quality on this alternate route?

P.S - advantage of doing the shimoga route was more eateries along the way, especially around the second half of the journey (lots of places at shimoga/thirthahalli), while in the hassan route, eateries are very limited beyond sakleshpur.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th January 2012 at 11:48.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:10   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I will be driving down to Maravanthe beach (turtle bay resort) sometime in the first week of March for a long weekend. It would be 4 friends in a ANHC / Palio GTX. Some clarifications needed from Mangalore route gurus

There are two possible routes i can take to reach Maravanthe, given that it is near Kundapur
- Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Uppinangadi - Udupi - Maravanthe
OR
- Bangalore - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Maravanthe

Which of the 2 routes is better and why? I have done the infamous Mangalore route ghats (few years back in my accent) but how much of an angel is the other route via Hulikal? Will it prove to be better? Google maps lists the Hulikal route to be 35 km shorter in length. Also, how is the road quality on this alternate route?

P.S - advantage of doing the shimoga route was more eateries along the way, especially around the second half of the journey (lots of places at shimoga/thirthahalli), while in the hassan route, eateries are very limited beyond sakleshpur.
I would suggest you stick to route 1 (via Hassan-Sakaleshpur).

I traveled on the Hulikal ghat earlier this month (to Turtle Bay) and it is in bad shape. Shimoga-Thirthalli is in great shape and is lovely and is good for about 10kms from Thirthalli towards Mastikatte/Hulikal. But after those 10kms, the road is pathetic. Some potholes had been patched up around the Varahi project area, but it was still bad. Once you reach Mastikatte/Hulikal, the road becomes wider but has huge craters all the way to Balebare ghat forest checkpost. From the checkpost the road is good for about 3-4 kms and then the bad roads start and continue all the way to Hosangadi. From Hosangadi, the road is patched up but bumpy all the way to Kundapura.

Regarding eateries, I don't think the Shimoga route is better than the Hassan. In fact, I would say the Hassan-Mangalore-Kundapura route has more options than the Shimoga route.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 12:40   #3936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I would suggest you stick to route 1 (via Hassan-Sakaleshpur).

I traveled on the Hulikal ghat earlier this month (to Turtle Bay) and it is in bad shape. Shimoga-Thirthalli is in great shape and is lovely and is good for about 10kms from Thirthalli towards Mastikatte/Hulikal. But after those 10kms, the road is pathetic. Some potholes had been patched up around the Varahi project area, but it was still bad. Once you reach Mastikatte/Hulikal, the road becomes wider but has huge craters all the way to Balebare ghat forest checkpost. From the checkpost the road is good for about 3-4 kms and then the bad roads start and continue all the way to Hosangadi. From Hosangadi, the road is patched up but bumpy all the way to Kundapura.

Regarding eateries, I don't think the Shimoga route is better than the Hassan. In fact, I would say the Hassan-Mangalore-Kundapura route has more options than the Shimoga route.
Thanks a lot for the information addy! So after the valparai one wasn't available, turtle bay is where you went for the new year's eh? Awesome news, because I can now PM you and get all the details on this place now.

I'll stick to the Mangalore route in this case. Any suggestions on the itinerary. We had friday to sunday for this trip so I was initially thinking of this -

thursday evening - bangalore to shimoga, night halt at shimoga to save time (300km)
friday (day 1) - shimoga to maravanthe (150km), rest of the day at maravanthe
saturday (day 2) - maravanthe
sunday (day 3) - depart from maravanthe after lunch, reach blore by midnight.

with this route change now, could you help me modify this itinerary for the thursday night halt somewhere after half distance point? Reason is if I do the entire 450km distance on friday, we will waste almost the entire friday in reaching maravanthe I didn't find any good places/lodges beyond Hassan and Sakleshpur (which are just 200-220km from here)
Old 27th January 2012, 13:00   #3937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Maravanthe
From Tirthahalli, you have the option of going towards Agumbe and reach Kundapura/Maravanthe via Haladi. That way you can avoid the Hulikal route which is in a bad shape. Distance-wise, it'd cost you only 10 or so additional km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I would suggest you stick to route 1 (via Hassan-Sakaleshpur)...

Agree with addy on both points above.

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th January 2012 at 13:03.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 21:44   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
with this route change now, could you help me modify this itinerary for the thursday night halt somewhere after half distance point? Reason is if I do the entire 450km distance on friday, we will waste almost the entire friday in reaching maravanthe I didn't find any good places/lodges beyond Hassan and Sakleshpur (which are just 200-220km from here)
You could stay put at 'aditya', which is near to uppinangady. This would be on the RHS of the NH-48, little before the uppinangady junction.

Last edited by JMaruru : 27th January 2012 at 21:45.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 00:24   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well you wont be able to recognize, every time i drive down i dont get the clue on where i am exactly, earlier it used to be the case...
Yes, I understand, but I have fond memories of traveling over that route and haven't seen it now for many years (flip side of crossing some big ponds)
Old 30th January 2012, 09:29   #3940

Jan 26: South BLR(1030hrs)-CR Patna(Break@1250)-Sakleshpur(1550)-Mangalore(1730) - 6 hours drive, 1 hour break
Jan 29: Mangalore(0600hrs)-Sakleshpur(Break@0830)-Nelamangala(1125)-South BLR(1210) - 5.5 hours drive, 40 min break

I just could not believe how smooth the drive went. ash_blore and I drove a few kms apart. Felt nice to have someone driving along. Thanks Team-BHP
nitzien123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:21   #3941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
I just could not believe how smooth the drive went. ash_blore and I drove a few kms apart. Felt nice to have someone driving along. Thanks Team-BHP
Yes, that will be the case for next 5 months. In couple months you will hear the annually made case for shutting down of this thread.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:22   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzien123 View Post
Jan 26: South BLR(1030hrs)-CR Patna(Break@1250)-Sakleshpur(1550)-Mangalore(1730) - 6 hours drive, 1 hour break
Jan 29: Mangalore(0600hrs)-Sakleshpur(Break@0830)-Nelamangala(1125)-South BLR(1210) - 5.5 hours drive, 40 min break

Same dates and route. Some one going from banglore to mlore should think of no other route than this.

Another point is that I took the NICE road to magadi road and nitzien123 took NICE-NH4 route. I left blr at 6AM and there was no difference in total time. However, since I returned in the afternoon, there was too much traffic in and around Magadi and a few villages there after. It added about 20 mins to my overall time.
Considering that NH4 is all done neatly, it will definitely be the faster route to get into blr.

And yes its always nice to have someone drive along
Old 31st January 2012, 20:24   #3943
BHPian

Just now, came back from Udupi to Bangalore. Started at 9 AM at Udupi and reached Sarjapur Road, Bangalore by 5:30 PM with 45 min break at Sakleshpur. This is my first drive on this road and WOW! the roads were very scenic and fun to drive.

Did Madikeri - Mangalore - Udupi on SH-88 on 29/1. I am very sorry to myself for not listening to ampere's suggestion of not taking SH88. Though the distance was less, the roads were nightmarish for about 45-50 km. Made it in 6 hours.
Old 1st February 2012, 19:34   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Udupi on VRL multiaxle Volvo, through Manipal. The bus left Manipal at 21:00 and dropped me in Majestic at 04:20. Though there are some rough patches on the ghats, the bus was able to maintain a healthy speed throughout the journey.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:52   #3945
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Guys, I plan to do BLR-sringeri-dharmasthala-bangalore stretch over the weekend. I am a little bit confused with the various options available.

I have a route plan :

Silver Meadows Apartments to Mangalore - Bangalore Highway - Google Maps

Itinerary

Sat 18/02:
0400 -> BLR-hassan-chickmaglur [reach @0930 (275km); breakfast]
1000 -> chickmaglur-aldur-balehonnur-jayapura-sringeri [reach @1300 (90km); lunch] followed by evening darshan and halt
Sun 19/02:
0500 -> sringeri-nemmaru-(left to NH234 before karkala)-guruvanyenkere-ujire-dharmasthala [reach @0800 (100km); breakfast] followed by darshan.
0200 -> dharmasthala-NH48-shiradi-gundya-sakleshpur-hassan-BLR [reach @2100 (300km)]

I will be driving a maruti estilo with total 4 pax (I dont cross 100kph).
Please let me know whether the timings are reasonable; also, I have doubts about the following :
1) road conditions - potholes in chickmaglur-sringeri leg & sringeri-dharmasthala leg
2) early morning start from sringeri - will there be heavy fog ?
3) shirdi ghats on the return leg, is it fine now ?

Also it would be great if you can suggest some veg restaurant in chickmaglur (not planning for sightseeing here, that will be separate day trip) for breakfast.
thanks in advance.

Most Viewed