Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 14:08   #4171
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Guys, any update on shiradi, charmudi and agumbe?
will be leaving to kundapur on saturday early morning n
and still not sure which route to take
Old 16th August 2012, 15:15   #4172
Senior - BHPian

Last week landslides were reported in Agumbe and Charmadi bu that was due to heavy downpour, as of today its bright and sunny, so if its not raining then you dont have to worry you can choose any of the route

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, any update on shiradi, charmudi and agumbe?
will be leaving to kundapur on saturday early morning n
and still not sure which route to take
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 21:59   #4173
BHPian

Back from Udupi yesterday after a 4-day trip. Road on Shiradi ghat deteriorating a bit at certain places, but overall I found it okay to drive. Excercise caution as low visibility due to fog and rains.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:16   #4174
BHPian

Will be driving down to Udupi this weekend. Had done the same trip 4 weeks back during which I took the Charmadi ( while going ) and Shiradi ( during return ) routes.

This time I am thinking of taking the Agumbe route. Any updates on how this route is at the moment? Or should i just stick to Shiradi?
Old 17th August 2012, 10:06   #4175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
Back from Udupi yesterday after a 4-day trip. Road on Shiradi ghat deteriorating a bit at certain places, but overall I found it okay to drive. Excercise caution as low visibility due to fog and rains.
So is it just the 30kms ghat out of which 10-15kms which is deteriorated?
If yes then I guess I should stick to Shiradi as Im used to these patchy roads every time I go to hometown.
Taking agumbe feels a never ending journey for me.

What about rain, landslides and traffic in shiradi?
Old 17th August 2012, 11:17   #4176
BHPian

@livyodream

The deterioration is setting in but the roads are still good, except for about 5-8 kms on the Shiradi ghats. You can sense the loose gravel and may have to avoid pot holes at certain places. But overall the roads are still good. I felt the Mangalore-Udupi 4-lane highway had more potholes, than those on the Shiradi ghats.

reg. rains, landslides, traffic. I travelled on holidays (on Sunday and Aug 15). The traffic was pretty less, than what I usually encounter on this stretch.

Once you cross Sakleshpura you could experience rains all along the ghats..but they are more of a light drizzle. The drive is enjoyable.. complete greenery and a light fog. No landslides, but did notice a couple of accidents -- one involving a car and a mini-truck, and one truck had rammed into the side of the ghat road.

I will be again going to the coast in about ten days, and intend to stick to Shiradi.
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #4177
Senior - BHPian

@livy, dont worry about landslides as it does not happen until and unless their is heavy rains, and in first week of August it rained real hard in these region...

however last week rains subsided but i think next couple of days thier will be some rain, again nothing to worry even if thier is landslide/tree fall it will be cleared fast on this road..

Quote:
So is it just the 30kms ghat out of which 10-15kms which is deteriorated?
If yes then I guess I should stick to Shiradi as Im used to these patchy roads every time I go to hometown.
Taking agumbe feels a never ending journey for me.

What about rain, landslides and traffic in shiradi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
@livyodream

The deterioration is setting in but the roads are still good, except for about 5-8 kms on the Shiradi ghats. You can sense the loose gravel and may have to avoid pot holes at certain places. But overall the roads are still good. I felt the Mangalore-Udupi 4-lane highway had more potholes, than those on the Shiradi ghats.

reg. rains, landslides, traffic. I travelled on holidays (on Sunday and Aug 15). The traffic was pretty less, than what I usually encounter on this stretch.

Once you cross Sakleshpura you could experience rains all along the ghats..but they are more of a light drizzle. The drive is enjoyable.. complete greenery and a light fog. No landslides, but did notice a couple of accidents -- one involving a car and a mini-truck, and one truck had rammed into the side of the ghat road.

I will be again going to the coast in about ten days, and intend to stick to Shiradi.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 13:01   #4178
BHPian

Talking about landslides...
Here's what a taxi driver who frequents the Shiradi roads mentioned.
Try not to be too close behind a heavy vehicle on the ghats during this season. He thinks some landslides are initiated by the "rumbling" of these heavy vehicles.
I see some logic there!
Old 18th August 2012, 23:25   #4179
BHPian

Reached Kukke today, Shiradi ghat is manageble, its detoriating quickly with rains all around .. watchout for potholes.... will be costly if you miss them..
Old 20th August 2012, 19:41   #4180
BHPian

Took Shiradi while going and agumbe while coming last weekend.

Shiradi- Still in good shape. May be a max of 1-2kms of gravel filled road.

Agumbe- not in very good condition; from agumbe to teerthahalli . Rest everything is patched up till tumkur and can be covered at steady speed of 80-90.

I must admit, driving condition in dakshin karnataka has gone to dogs. Never in my life I was so irritated after reaching kundapur. There is literally no driving decency in MLR-KPR stretch. No one knows what is express way is, what double road is meant for. Everyone drives in every possible nook and corner. No, im not talking just about bus drivers. People here does not have basic literacy of road manners. I lost the pleasure of driving after this trip to my hometown.
Old 20th August 2012, 20:46   #4181
Senior - BHPian

My friend completly agree and hav been mentioning this in my earlier post, offlate i prefer to drive down to Kundapura during early hours or on sunday afternoon

10+ years back traffic used to drastically reduce ahead of "ambagilu, santhekate" but now its messy till kundapura town!

Offlate the roads are filled with idiots and most of them have no clue on "wrong way" this is more rampant in city limits!

Quote:
Took Shiradi while going and agumbe while coming last weekend.

Shiradi- Still in good shape. May be a max of 1-2kms of gravel filled road.

Agumbe- not in very good condition; from agumbe to teerthahalli . Rest everything is patched up till tumkur and can be covered at steady speed of 80-90.

I must admit, driving condition in dakshin karnataka has gone to dogs. Never in my life I was so irritated after reaching kundapur. There is literally no driving decency in MLR-KPR stretch. No one knows what is express way is, what double road is meant for. Everyone drives in every possible nook and corner. No, im not talking just about bus drivers. People here does not have basic literacy of road manners. I lost the pleasure of driving after this trip to my hometown.

Last edited by lohithrao : 20th August 2012 at 20:56.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:00   #4182
BHPian

Just back from Udupi today...deterioration has happened at quite a lot of places but Shiradi is still probably the best option for Udupi-Bangalore. Started at 10:30 from Udupi and was at Padmanabha Nagar at 7pm with 2 breaks.

Last edited by explorer09 : 20th August 2012 at 21:00. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 20th August 2012, 23:37   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
My friend completly agree and hav been mentioning this in my earlier post, offlate i prefer to drive down to Kundapura during early hours or on sunday afternoon

10+ years back traffic used to drastically reduce ahead of "ambagilu, santhekate" but now its messy till kundapura town!

Offlate the roads are filled with idiots and most of them have no clue on "wrong way" this is more rampant in city limits!
It was never this bad. I have been driving since '97 and never felt this irritated. Yes, bus drivers are famous in this region but not locals. Everything has gone haywire with these locals who got introduced to express highway but no knowledge on how to drive around on these types of road. I have driven in Bidar and Hyd (which i presume is one of the most difficult city to drive around) now DK has joined the race.
Now I get the reason behind my relatives who hire drivers when they go to hometown even though they are good with driving.
Old 21st August 2012, 08:56   #4184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream

It was never this bad. Everything has gone haywire with these locals who got introduced to express highway but no knowledge on how to drive around on these types of road. I have driven in Bidar and Hyd (which i presume is one of the most difficult city to drive around) now DK has joined the race..
This is not just a case around there. Every where it happens. Locals think this is my road, I drive where my vehicle goes. You may be surprised to know that some don't have DL and even proper documents for the vehicle.
BTW, Udupi and Kundapura are no more in DK.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:10   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Just back from one more same day return trip from mangalore. The ghat though manageable , it has deteriorated from the last week . Cars with low GC might have problems at some places .

But what was surprising is the way the road condition changed in the space of 8 hours while returning .

We managed to do both legs in 6 hours .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks