Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 20:28   #4201
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Brand new unregisterd BMW X1 totalled on Shiradi. People driving from Bangalore to Mangalore, be wary of this curve. It is about 5km from Sakleshpur town, just after Noorani Masjid, at the start of Indian Cardamom Research Institute. One of the most deadly stretches I've seen. I have seen more than a dozen accidents at this place. For people driving from Mangalore to Bangalore, it is 0.5 km from Donigal, just after the fleet of tea shops.
Old 1st September 2012, 17:43   #4202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Brand new unregisterd BMW X1 totalled on Shiradi.
The White X1, I saw this yesterday at Sakleshpur on my way to Bangalore. The front side is all messed up, but didn't see much damage to the cabin.

Alright, between Aug 17th to Aug 31st, I traveled Shiradi ghats 4 times. Twice in the Jeep (in darkness), thanks to MGE. The road is getting bad progressively, but not so bad yet as to switch to other longer routes.

The stretches that are really bad is not in the ghats. Those are between NH48 and Dharmasthala, and between Karkala and Manipal.
Old 1st September 2012, 18:29   #4203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The White X1, I saw this yesterday at Sakleshpur on my way to Bangalore. The front side is all messed up, but didn't see much damage to the cabin.

Alright, between Aug 17th to Aug 31st, I traveled Shiradi ghats 4 times. Twice in the Jeep (in darkness), thanks to MGE. The road is getting bad progressively, but not so bad yet as to switch to other longer routes.
Planning to drive back from Bangalore to Manipal tomorrow.i will take the Shiradi Ghat route itself.hope the rains wont spoil the drive!
Old 1st September 2012, 19:47   #4204
BHPian

Hi all,
i am planning to travel to mangalore to bangalore...next weekend with my family.
reading the last recent posts -> looks like shiradi ghat is in bad condition,
can you pls help out with a better route

hi carfreak, looking forward for your review after your trip ..
Old 4th September 2012, 14:09   #4205
BHPian

Hi All,

I will be travelling to Karkala on 6th Sept from Bangalore. I understand that the best route to take is from Dharmasthala. I wanted to check if any of you know a decent hotel in Karkala. I will be with my family, any advice on accomodation will be appreciated. Also update me on the current road condition, how long would it take to reach Karkala from Bangalore. Will be driving a SX4.
Regards,
Manoj
Old 4th September 2012, 14:18   #4206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
Take kasaragod to mangalore road, just before thokkot there's a beeri junction, take right. That ll take you to deralakatte, it hits a dead end.. Take right and continue past infosys campus then there's a junction where u need to take left that ll take you straight to mangalore Bangalore road, just before mani junction. .

The junction where you take a right to Bangalore is called Melkar. I always take a left from here when driving from Bangalore to go to our ancestral house in Manjinady
Old 4th September 2012, 15:18   #4207
BHPian

Any latest inputs on the BLR - MLR route through Sakleshpur?
Am planning a trip around 15th Sep.

Alternatively - Any inputs on the Charmadi route?

Thanks!

Last edited by CLIX : 4th September 2012 at 15:42.
Old 4th September 2012, 15:26   #4208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I wanted to check if any of you know a decent hotel in Karkala. I will be with my family, any advice on accomodation will be appreciated.
Hotel Prakash is a decent option according to a native. Google for their number.

Quote:
I understand that the best route to take is from Dharmasthala. Also update me on the current road condition, how long would it take to reach Karkala from Bangalore. Will be driving a SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Please read the last two pages before asking a question. The answers to your question is in this page itself, do you really expect members to repeat themselves?
Old 4th September 2012, 19:00   #4209
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I will be travelling to Karkala on 6th Sept from Bangalore. I understand that the best route to take is from Dharmasthala. I wanted to check if any of you know a decent hotel in Karkala. I will be with my family, any advice on accomodation will be appreciated. Also update me on the current road condition, how long would it take to reach Karkala from Bangalore. Will be driving a SX4.
Regards,
Manoj
Hotel Prakash is the best. The other alternatives are Suhaag and Swagat, near the town bus stand.

Take Shirady ghat and route via Ujire, Mudubidre to Karkala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

Alternatively - Any inputs on the Charmadi route?

Thanks!
Two weeks back, I had taken Charmadi onwards to M'lore and on return took Shirady. Charmadi has lots of rough patches and potholes, and i would prefer Shirady at this point of time.

Last edited by JMaruru : 4th September 2012 at 19:01.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 19:19   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Hi all,
i am planning to travel to mangalore to bangalore...next weekend with my family.
reading the last recent posts -> looks like shiradi ghat is in bad condition,
can you pls help out with a better route

hi carfreak, looking forward for your review after your trip ..
Hope i am not late with this update. Yes, Shiradi ghat is deteriorating fast and some stretches are to be taken slowly and with caution especially is your car has poor clearance.my fully loaded figo scraped on 2 occasions after which i slowed down.But i believe this is still the best route to Mangalore as of now. Just be cautious and drive slow over bad strecthes

Quote:
Hi All,

Regards,
Manoj
I took the Dharmasthala route. The road is not in a great condition now. Until Dharmasthala there are sections with bad potholes but overall the road is fine. from there take the route via Bajagoli and not the Moodbidri route-road condition is good, again, barring few sections.
carfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 19:59   #4211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Hotel Prakash is the best. The other alternatives are Suhaag and Swagat, near the town bus stand.

Take Shirady ghat and route via Ujire, Mudubidre to Karkala.

Two weeks back, I had taken Charmadi onwards to M'lore and on return took Shirady. Charmadi has lots of rough patches and potholes, and i would prefer Shirady at this point of time.
Thanks JMaruru. That was more helpful...I guess I'll take the Shiradi route. [Swift 2012]
Old 4th September 2012, 20:08   #4212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hope i am not late with this update. Yes, Shiradi ghat is deteriorating fast and some stretches are to be taken slowly and with caution especially is your car has poor clearance.my fully loaded figo scraped on 2 occasions after which i slowed down.But i believe this is still the best route to Mangalore as of now. Just be cautious and drive slow over bad strecthes
Thanks carfreak for this info, i will be travelling this saturday...hope it doesnt rain much till then and the roads are OK..
i will keep a watch on this thread till then,
Another alternate i thought of was BLR-HASSAN-SRINGERI-KUNDAPURA

A friend had gone via this route he said the roads are super all the way.
probably this is a longer route to mangalore, but now we decided to drop therelative house visit to mangalore, and my current destination is Anegudde Ganapathi temple, so i might take this route.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your latest info,
Old 5th September 2012, 11:38   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks carfreak for this info, i will be travelling this saturday...hope it doesnt rain much till then and the roads are OK..
i will keep a watch on this thread till then,
Another alternate i thought of was BLR-HASSAN-SRINGERI-KUNDAPURA

A friend had gone via this route he said the roads are super all the way.
probably this is a longer route to mangalore, but now we decided to drop therelative house visit to mangalore, and my current destination is Anegudde Ganapathi temple, so i might take this route.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your latest info,
If your travel is Anegudde temple, why not go via Shimoga, BLR-GUBBI-SHIMOGA-THIRTHAHALLI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWAR-HALADI-KOTESHWAR-ANEGUDDE(434~450) or BLR-GUBBI-SHIMOGA-THIRTHAHALLI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWAR-GOLIANGADI-AVARSE -KOTA-ANEGUDDE (430~440). I have travelled both routes between 16th and 20 of Aug 2012.

Yes it is little longer (compared to HASSAN -SRINGERI road +10~20km), but roads are good all the way to Anegudde except 15km between Thirthahalli and Agumbe. Some part of Agumbe twisty ghats and Between Someshwara and Goliangadi (~6 km). None of the roads are worse to take even softer suspension vehicles.

All three routes better because you will avoid major part of NH-17 construction and manic private bus drivers!

Last edited by RaguHolla : 5th September 2012 at 11:44.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 23:17   #4214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
BLR-GUBBI-SHIMOGA-THIRTHAHALLI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWAR-HALADI-KOTESHWAR-ANEGUDDE(434~450) or BLR-GUBBI-SHIMOGA-THIRTHAHALLI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWAR-GOLIANGADI-AVARSE -KOTA-ANEGUDDE (430~440)
Thanks Ragu, both routes via chickmagalur/sringer or the one suggested by you converge at Agumbe!
I have travelled to shimoga via gubbi < while going to Sirsi(my native)> long back and it was a rough road <after that i usually take haveri-srisi route>, so i think of sticking to Chichkmagalur/sringeri route rather than Shimoga, let me know if the Gubbi-Shimoga road is better now .
Old 6th September 2012, 07:54   #4215
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ragu, both routes via chickmagalur/sringer or the one suggested by you converge at Agumbe!
I have travelled to shimoga via gubbi < while going to Sirsi(my native)> long back and it was a rough road <after that i usually take haveri-srisi route>, so i think of sticking to Chichkmagalur/sringeri route rather than Shimoga, let me know if the Gubbi-Shimoga road is better now .
Routes Converge at Agumbe. As I mentioned in my earlier post, gubbi route is excellent till Thirthahalli (small patches of bad road exists). I don't see hassan-> chimaglur-> sringeri route is any better!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks