Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
2. kukke-kadaba-ichilampady-dharmasthala
Why not try kukke-Gundya-Dharmasthala?

Prasad
Old 26th September 2012, 09:44   #4247
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

BLR - MLR (B C Rd.) data for the Statistically inclined.
  • BLR - (ODO) 2964 - 4:45AM
  • Adichunchanagiri - 3062 - 5:55AM
  • Kamat - Breakfast - 3111 - 6:30AM [to 7:15]
  • Gundya (Subramanya Rd Junction) - 3215 - 9:15AM
  • Nelyadi - 3237 - 9:40AM
  • B C Road - 3283 - 10:35
Old 26th September 2012, 11:17   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream
Took Shiradi while going and agumbe while coming last weekend.

Shiradi- Still in good shape. May be a max of 1-2kms of gravel filled road.

Agumbe- not in very good condition; from agumbe to teerthahalli . Rest everything is patched up till tumkur and can be covered at steady speed of 80-90.

I must admit, driving condition in dakshin karnataka has gone to dogs. Never in my life I was so irritated after reaching kundapur. There is literally no driving decency in MLR-KPR stretch. No one knows what is express way is, what double road is meant for. Everyone drives in every possible nook and corner. No, im not talking just about bus drivers. People here does not have basic literacy of road manners. I lost the pleasure of driving after this trip to my hometown.
I agree with you! Earlier people here were known for sensible driving! However post the road widening they just forgot how to drive! It is so dangerous in the evening and night to drive there! I travel to Udupi almost every month and change is drastic!
Old 26th September 2012, 12:08   #4249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
planning to do a family (4) temple trip...
3. dharmasthala-ujire-guruvayenkere-SH70-moodabidiri-karkala-SH37-udupi
You do not need to go via Moodbidri. You can divert towards Karkala after Guruvayankere (via Bajegoli). Also, please be aware that NH17 b/w Mangalore and Kundapura is a mess, given the ongoing 4-lane work as well as maniacs driving in all possible directions on the completed 4-lane stretches. Drive safe!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 12:18   #4250
Senior - BHPian

Just back from Mangalore . The ghats have held up quite well this ( or is it that it hasnt rained enough? ) .

I did a mistake of starting at 2 from Bangalore . Around 5 am ,it was just impossible to drive the 10 kms winding road before Shiradi. Fog conditions were so bad that I could barely see one car length ahead of my bonnet . Finally decided it was too risky to carry on and parked at the petrol pump on the left and slept off .

As fog conditions would only worsen during winter , I would advise everyone to plan their drives such that this stretch is done in daylight .

The return drive was superb . Did Mangalore - Nelamangala in under four and half hours.

Inspite of being ultra careful on the ghat , there was this big crater that bent my left front rim .

BTW does anyone have any info on the Tumkur-Chikamagalur - Kudremukh stretch ( not via charmadi )
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 12:54   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
BTW does anyone have any info on the Tumkur-Chikamagalur - Kudremukh stretch ( not via charmadi )
Last weekend I was on my bullet in western ghats and have done some parts
of the above stretch:

Tumkur-Kadur: Great roads
Kottigehara-Kalasa: Great roads, interspersed with bad roads. I reckon 50% of the road is
freshly laid, 30% is decent and 20% is bad. And it keeps alternating b/w good, bad and ugly.
Kalasa-Kudremukh: Great roads

If you are attempting to reach Kudremukh from Sringeri, these roads are in a great condition too. Please be aware that there are forest entry checkposts right after Kalasa (and before Kerekatte if coming from Sringeri side), and they will give you a time to cross the other checkpost. They will give you a chit with vehicle number and time to cross and the fine is Rs.100 per an hour of delay. If you plan to stay in Kudremukh let the guards know at the checkpost and get a suitable "permit".

Prasad

Last edited by prasad14 : 26th September 2012 at 12:57. Reason: Correct minor grammatical errors.
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 13:03   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
of the above stretch:

Tumkur-Kadur: Great roads
Kottigehara-Kalasa: Great roads, interspersed with bad roads. I reckon 50% of the road is
freshly laid, 30% is decent and 20% is bad. And it keeps alternating b/w good, bad and ugly.
Kalasa-Kudremukh: Great roads

If you are attempting to reach Kudremukh from Sringeri, these roads are in a great condition too. Please be aware that there are forest entry checkposts right after Kalasa (and before Kerekatte if coming from Sringeri side), and they will give you a time to cross the other checkpost. They will give you a chit with vehicle number and time to cross and the fine is Rs.100 per an hour of delay. If you plan to stay in Kudremukh let the guards know at the checkpost and get a suitable "permit".

Prasad
Thanks .
I am okay with doing via either sringeri or hornadu . As long as the roads are manageable . Any idea on restrictions on night time travel ?
Old 26th September 2012, 13:22   #4253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You do not need to go via Moodbidri. You can divert towards Karkala after Guruvayankere (via Bajegoli). Also, please be aware that NH17 b/w Mangalore and Kundapura is a mess, given the ongoing 4-lane work as well as maniacs driving in all possible directions on the completed 4-lane stretches. Drive safe!
thanks cool_dube, so it will be :

1. blore-NH75-gundya-kukke
2. a) kukke-kadaba-ichilampady-dharmasthala (OR)
b) kukke-gundya-NH75-dharmasthala
3. dharmasthala-ujire-guruvayenkere-bajegoli-karkala-SH37-udupi
4. udupi-NH-karnad-kateel (this is the roadworks+maniacs stretch? )
5. kateel-mangalore(kadri)-NH75-blore

Which is better, in terms of road surface, 2a) or 2b) ?
Also, how about the road surface for 3 ? will a maruti be able to manage it ?
Old 26th September 2012, 13:24   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks .
I am okay with doing via either sringeri or hornadu . As long as the roads are manageable . Any idea on restrictions on night time travel ?
Ah! Didn't check this. Should have done it.

As an aside, I heard in a Kottigehara hotel that there is a "new" and direct road between Sringeri and Horanadu which cuts the distance to just 30kms (currently its about 70kms via Balehonnur which most local buses seem to take and about 80kms via Kudremukh which most private vehicles seem to take).

When we enquired in Horanadu, we were told that there indeed is a road, but it has several forks that are unmarked and also about 2kms of the road has only gravel. We didn't risk it as it already was 3PM and we had done enough offroading in Bisle. Has anyone done this?

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 13:39   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah! Didn't check this. Should have done it.

As an aside, I heard in a Kottigehara hotel that there is a "new" and direct road between Sringeri and Horanadu which cuts the distance to just 30kms (currently its about 70kms via Balehonnur which most local buses seem to take and about 80kms via Kudremukh which most private vehicles seem to take).

When we enquired in Horanadu, we were told that there indeed is a road, but it has several forks that are unmarked and also about 2kms of the road has only gravel. We didn't risk it as it already was 3PM and we had done enough offroading in Bisle. Has anyone done this?

Prasad
Okay . Thanks Prasad . I might take this route in a couple of weeks . Exploring new routes to mangalore , i am bored of the usual route through Hassan . Nelamangala - Hassan has become one boring 4 lane stretch . Just dont feel like doing it .
Old 26th September 2012, 13:40   #4256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
When we enquired in Horanadu, we were told that there indeed is a road, but it has several forks that are unmarked and also about 2kms of the road has only gravel. We didn't risk it as it already was 3PM and we had done enough offroading in Bisle. Has anyone done this? Prasad
My friend had done a hornadu-sringeri shortest-path sometime back (March I guess) in his swift : hornadu-sringeri-forest-route ; his words were : "Leh like surface"
Not sure if this is the one you are referring to
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 15:04   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
My friend had done a hornadu-sringeri shortest-path sometime back (March I guess) in his swift : hornadu-sringeri-forest-route ; his words were : "Leh like surface"
Not sure if this is the one you are referring to
Possible. But this route is 50km, as against 30km (you can never trust the accuracy though) and may not benefit in time taken.

Prasad
Old 26th September 2012, 16:36   #4258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks .
AFAIK, there are no restrictions on night travel. The roads are good to decent within the National Park Area. You just need to be out of the National park limits within the stipulated time.

But, don't you think this will be a big roundabout to reach Mangalore? I can understand if the destination is Udupi and beyond, but I feel it will be too long for Mangalore?

Quote:
of the above stretch:
So, you happened to do the trip; Nice. Do let us know what routes you took and the road conditions. How was the rain situation? I believe it had almost stopped raining before last weekend.

Quote:

Prasad
I have done part of this route. I have mentioned this route in the below link. Back then, it was not complete and we were told only jeeps could complete it. So, we went upto where the tar road ended and came back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2079591
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 16:59   #4259
Senior - BHPian

I will be driving alone. So wanted to try out new routes. Bored of the usual shiradi/sampaje/charmadi routes
Old 26th September 2012, 17:22   #4260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere
2. a) kukke-kadaba-ichilampady-dharmasthala (OR)
b) kukke-gundya-NH75-dharmasthala

Which is better, in terms of road surface, 2a) or 2b) ?
Kukke - Gundya: Ultimate stretch. Good roads with excellent sceneries. You will enjoy the drive.

2a : Are you mentioning about Kukke - Kadaba - Uppinangadi? I did this stretch around 6 months back. Even this stretch is excellent with few bridges under construction.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed