Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 15:13   #4336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Kottigehara-Kalasa is the concern. I was told, earlier it was in very bad condition. If I take this route, I think I should be saving some 30+kms, not sure. After darshanam in Kalasa & Horanadu move to Sringeri & halt there.
I did Kottigehara-Kalasa around mid-August and the only bad stretch was the last 8-10 km before Kalasa. Not sure about the damage caused by the rains since. Rest of the road all the way through Hassan-Belur-Kottigehara was top-notch.
Old 8th November 2012, 15:24   #4337
BHPian

thanks cooldube. for a change I wanted to drive thru' this route instead CKM/Balehonnur. My wife & children not seen this route. I'll take this route, even rained, it can't be that bad in few months. from Kalasa to Sringeri, is it better to take Kudremukh road?
// Tnks
Old 8th November 2012, 15:48   #4338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks cooldube. for a change I wanted to drive thru' this route instead CKM/Balehonnur. My wife & children not seen this route. I'll take this route, even rained, it can't be that bad in few months. from Kalasa to Sringeri, is it better to take Kudremukh road?
// Tnks
Yes - you can go from Kalasa to Sringeri via Kudremukh and come back from Sreingeri to Bangalore via Balehonnur - CKM.

Also, as mentioned by Addy in his recent post, there is supposed to be a new road directly connecting Hornadu to Sringeri. You can check on that while you are in Hornadu - if it is doable, it will save you 25-30 km.
Old 8th November 2012, 16:02   #4339
BHPian

Thanks cool dube, I'll enquire on that new route to Sringeri from H/nadu.
Old 9th November 2012, 00:16   #4340
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a 3 day trip to Sakleshpur this weekend. Went through several pages of this thread and got a fair idea of the route roads. But few clarifications

1. Till what point is the road 4 lane?
2. On the route itself, is it straight forward for a first timer or any specific instructions to byepass/cross the major/minor towns on the way
3. Planning to start from Belandur by 5:30am. How long will it take to reach Sakleshpur. Any suggestions for stopping maybe after 75% of the journey?
4. I am headed to a resort called TheHills. As per website, the address indicates Kuntahalli Village,Hanbal Taluk, Sakleshpur. I could not find this on google maps. Will be calling tomorrow to get the exact route details. But anyone here familiar with the location of this place? (First preference for stay was Mugilu, but since it was a last minute plan, there was no availability)

Thanks in advance
Old 9th November 2012, 00:33   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Planning a 3 day trip to Sakleshpur this weekend. Went through several pages of this thread and got a fair idea of the route roads. But few clarifications

2. On the route itself, is it straight forward for a first timer or any specific instructions to byepass/cross the major/minor towns on the way
3. Planning to start from Belandur by 5:30am. How long will it take to reach Sakleshpur. Any suggestions for stopping maybe after 75% of the journey?
4. I am headed to a resort called TheHills. As per website, the address indicates Kuntahalli Village,Hanbal Taluk, Sakleshpur. I could not find this on google maps. Will be calling tomorrow to get the exact route details. But anyone here familiar with the location of this place? (First preference for stay was Mugilu, but since it was a last minute plan, there was no availability)

Thanks in advance
The roads are completely 4-lane till Belluru cross. Work-in-progress till Hassan. Mostly completed.
Straightforward road after taking left at Neelamangala. You can take the Hassan bye-pass.
You can reach Sakleshpur comfortably by 11:00 AM.
No idea about the resort.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 00:37   #4342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Thanks in advance
1. The 4 lane work is going on until Hassan. As of now, it is there for around 70 odd kms.
2. Once you take left from Nelamangala junction, it is almost straight forward. After Channarayapatna, there is a kinda T Junction, keep left for NH-48, the other road goes to Arasikere.
3. You can do Sakleshpur, easily within 5 hours. If so needed, you can break the journey near Hassan.
4. For Hanbal, take right after 3 kms of Sakleshpur towards Horanadu.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 08:01   #4343
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajeev, The roads are fine til Bellur Cross, after this lot of deviations are there till Hassan due to road widening work, as you are a first timer be attentive about KSRTC buses coming from opposite direction after Bellur Cross. The roads are wide enough all the way, take the Hassan bye-pass. After 3 kms from Sakleshpura KSRTC bus stand, you will find a Y-junction,, left way is the wide NH road to Mangalore, right way is the narrow state highway to Mudigere, sign boards are there at this place. Take the right turn, from this point Haanbalu is 15km, it is a very narrow road all the way upto The HILLS resort, only BSNL coverage is available, beware of the traffic from opposite direction as the roads are bad with craters and not in line with the side paths, else your car under hood may smooch the road many times. Ask for directions clearly from Haanbalu circle to the resort, the road leading to the resort from the main road may not be in great shape and look out for big stones on the road. Check out on my travelogue for details on places around Hanbalu.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akleshpur.html

I have shared here the map from Wikimapia.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hills.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 9th November 2012 at 08:21.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 09:26   #4344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
- Mangalore to Manipal : Four laning WIP. Surface condition OK. Avg speed of about 50 kph. Being Sunday, traffic was low, expect slower speeds on a week day.
The four laning is no more WIP. The work has stopped since the contractor Navayuga is having some trouble back home, something to do with Jagan's arrest I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
- Hiriadka is on the other side of Manipal. Manipal roads were good cement roads.
There is no cement roads in Manipal. You must be thinking Udupi.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2012 at 09:38.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:32   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This route is only 10-12 km longer than the one via Agumbe. Moreover, the key difference is the super-fast Bangalore-Hassan stretch as opposed to the 2-lane roads on the other route. Also, the Tirthahalli - Agumbe stretch has gone really bad in the rains (not that it is a very long one, but still). Anyways, you always have the option of going via one route and coming back via the other
Also, I would like to know if there are any good eating joints after Shimoga, specifically at Tirthahalli where we can stop for lunch.
And how's the condition of NH17 between Kundapur and Bhatkal?
Old 9th November 2012, 13:10   #4346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Also, I would like to know if there are any good eating joints after Shimoga, specifically at Tirthahalli where we can stop for lunch.
Sorry, no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
And how's the condition of NH17 between Kundapur and Bhatkal?
Very bad!
Old 9th November 2012, 14:08   #4347
BHPian

Anybody's recently travelled on the Talaguppa-Kargal-Bhatkal road? How's the condition of the road? I know its amazingly scenic but how bad or good is it?
Old 9th November 2012, 15:14   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
Kottigehara-Kalasa is the concern. I was told, earlier it was in very bad condition. If I take this route, I think I should be saving some 30+kms, not sure. After darshanam in Kalasa & Horanadu move to Sringeri & halt there.
Very bad road between Kalasa and Horanadu. slightly bad for a few KMs before Kalasa. I did a temple circuit last week (in rains). Kalasa to Sringeri via Kudremukh was an excellent drive, both roads and greenery
Old 9th November 2012, 15:18   #4349
BHPian

Suvi, then is it better to go via CKM/Balehonnur/Kalasa-Horanadu?
Old 9th November 2012, 15:24   #4350
BHPian

Quote:
Suvi, then is it better to go via CKM/Balehonnur/Kalasa-Horanadu?
Road is doable upto Kalasa (in fact very good for most part). the last 8km was the worst. i am not sure of the CKM route, but you will anyway travel the worst stretch. You can consider coming from Sringeri to Horanadu by that new road, if conditions are better there. i skipped that and chose Kudremukh road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks