Old 9th November 2012, 15:40   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Very bad road between Kalasa and Horanadu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Suvi, then is it better to go via CKM/Balehonnur/Kalasa-Horanadu?
Please read suvi's post carefully - the bad stretch is b/w Kalasa and Horanadu. You'd have to do that either ways - via CKM-Balehonnur or via Belur-Kottigehara.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:01   #4352
BHPian

Hi cool dude, it's my mistake, i mistook it as kottigehara-kalasa. Now no other go, we 've to drive thru' that 8kms to visit horanadu. my car is swift, hope there won't be much problems.
Old 10th November 2012, 18:18   #4353
BHPian

I drove on both Shiradi and Charmadi ghats last weekend and my take :
Charmadi was better on two counts :

1) More greenery & scenery
2) Less traffic

Shiradi was also doable, but Anemahal to Gundya was bad with craters at some turnings. But no complaints, as we were enjoying the drive in drizzling rain with light mist and were in no hurry to reach our destination. I saw a couple of BMW's, Skoda Superbs and Mercs on the Shiradi section.

@rajshenoy: thanks, we had a good break at Surabhi nxt !!
Old 10th November 2012, 19:42   #4354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R

2) Less traffic

Shiradi was also doable, but Anemahal to Gundya was bad with craters at some turnings. But no complaints, as we were enjoying the drive in drizzling rain with light mist and were in no hurry to reach our destination. I saw a couple of BMW's, Skoda Superbs and Mercs on the Shiradi section.

Pleasure is mine. Next time i want to do a photo drive spending lotz of time in shiradi.

God knows when i am always in hurry when i drive
Old 11th November 2012, 19:12   #4355
BHPian

I made a trip between Bangalore and Goa via Mangalore on Nov 1st. The condition of the Shiradi Ghat stretch is quite bad and my i20 struggled through the entire stretch. Also, it was raining throughout to make things worse. By the time I reached Mangalore, I had developed neck pain and had to take Bruffen tablet.

Again from Managalore till Murudeshwara the road had big craters making driving tough. Only after Karwar did the roads become good. Hence while coming back, I took Goa-Karwar-Yellapura-Hubli-Bangalore path and the roads were quite impressive.
Old 11th November 2012, 22:13   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenp
I made a trip between Bangalore and Goa via Mangalore on Nov 1st. The condition of the Shiradi Ghat stretch is quite bad and my i20 struggled through the entire stretch. Also, it was raining throughout to make things worse. By the time I reached Mangalore, I had developed neck pain and had to take Bruffen tablet.

Again from Managalore till Murudeshwara the road had big craters making driving tough. Only after Karwar did the roads become good. Hence while coming back, I took Goa-Karwar-Yellapura-Hubli-Bangalore path and the roads were quite impressive.
Any specific reason why you took this long route to goa? Your return route is the preferred route to inc from Bangalore.

Was this your first time on shiradi in recent years? Roads are holding up and except the ghats, roads are excellent.

May be rain added to your pain.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:00   #4357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Any specific reason why you took this long route to goa? Your return route is the preferred route to inc from Bangalore.
I had to pick a friend of mine who was in Mangalore to attend a wedding and hence took that route. Else would have avoided it.

Quote:
Was this your first time on shiradi in recent years? Roads are holding up and except the ghats, roads are excellent.
This was my first trip through Shiradi ghat as a driver. If you are saying that the existing condition is quite good then I can imagine how worse the roads will be otherwise. But still it was very tiring for me to drive through the ghat section. Also the problem with i20 is its lengthy clutch and in the ghat I had to constantly press-release the clutch.

Quote:
May be rain added to your pain.
I agree, rain did create visibility problem along with thick fog.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:39   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

2) Less traffic

Very True Rajesh K R - Charmadi is so much better scenery-wise. The only concern is the roads being a little narrow.
So, at this time is the road condition overall better than Shiradi?
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:48   #4359

I am driving from Bangalore to Dharmasthala tomorrow. Which route is better? via Sakleshpur? or Charmadi?
Old 17th November 2012, 08:11   #4360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecontrol
I am driving from Bangalore to Dharmasthala tomorrow. Which route is better? via Sakleshpur? or Charmadi?
I drove via sakleshpur yesterday evening.
Roads are pretty ok. Though charmadi is not bad, shiradi is faster and wider
If you want fast route take shiradi, if you like scenes and less traffic its charmadi
Good to have choices isn't it?
Old 18th November 2012, 10:14   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Very True Rajesh K R - Charmadi is so much better scenery-wise. The only concern is the roads being a little narrow.
So, at this time is the road condition overall better than Shiradi?
Thanks in advance.
One section of the road after you climb up the ghats particularly near Kottigehara to Mudigere has lot of craters similar to shiradi and needs a bit of careful driving.

yes i was stuck behind a KSRTC bus for quite some time as there was no space to overtake him

Have attached below a couple of photographs of charmadi road.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi-road1.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi-road2.jpg
Rajesh K R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 12:38   #4362

Thanks for the inputs. I took Charmadi while coming back. Road between Kottigera and Mudigere is bad. Rest is good. I stopped at several places to take photographs. Charmadi - Kottigera road is getting new layer of asphalt. a Few KM is already complete.
Old 19th November 2012, 20:47   #4363
Senior - BHPian

This time while returning from Mangalore on sunday evening i saw more crowd than usual(alot of weddings i guess) and when i reached Sakleshpur at 4PM for snacks, i saw that Surabhi NXT was jam packed.

Absolutely no parking space and inside looked super crowded too(I just wanted tea/coffee)

I went further and saw Hotel Mythri. was not much crowded, so decided to take a break there and explore the food quality

I was pleasently surprised. piping hot Mangalore Bajji(Goli baje), Dosas, Neer Dosa, Palav, Akki Rotti .. I must say very good Variety

What started with 4 Tea, ended up ordering all the above items. and by the time we ended, this place was over crowded too.

Hotel has a decent rest room too, and is being run by a Coastal guy(they also have another hotel called as Samrat in sakleshpur).

I recommend this place as well to the list of eatouts on the way.

Location is just before KSRTC bus stand Sakleshpur(coming from Mangalore) on the Right hand side

For those coming from Bangalore, its just after KSRTC(on the left).

They have a website too
website
Old 20th November 2012, 14:23   #4364
BHPian

Hi All, I am just back from Kundapur taking my brand new Bull (T Fort) on "short ride" along the west coast.

Started at 5.30 am from Sarjapur Road on 10th November, had go into the city, to meet my good childhood friend, Dodda Ganapati, to take his blessings. Proceeded to the NICE road at PES college entry, though was tempted to take the new ORR to Yeshwanthpur, but did not want to take a chance as had not done it before, so it was NICE Road, for the next 150 odd KMS till Bellur Cross, absolute breeze, not sure if it has to do with people in Karnataka or it was holiday mood, that I found no tractors to avoid.

From Bellur Cross, passing thro' Channarayapatna is challenge on weekends due to Shandy, Bypassed Hassan and on way to Sakleshpur. Breakfast at Kamath's near CR Patna, good that I had it there, because tried Surabhi's at Sakleshpur on the way back, it was absolute crap and just paid and walked out, please avoid.

After Sakleshpur, once in Shirady Ghats, the next 20 odd KMS is bad at the turns, which is difficult for smaller cars but not for the Bull at my command, so off I went by the Forest Check post and Gundya, took a left to Kukke,the road to Kukke from the Highway was very good, no issues at all, reached Kukke at about 10 am. Abolutely no rush, went and had darshan, spent some time and headed towards Dharmasthala. I should have taken advice by fellow BHPians, but we are humans, and always want to be different, got advice to take the other road 8 kms less to Dharmasthala instead of driving back to Gundya, this lit up like a the "Goli Shot advt" of Cadbury's, took the adviced road, the next 7 kms was good, then the deviation to Dharmasthala was a nightmare, do not take this road, but please travel back to Gundya and then go on the highway, somehow managed to reach the highway and the turn to Dharmasthala was 100 meteres away took it and our ordeal did not end till Dharmasthala. Again no rush, parked the vehicle in the shade as it was burning hot, reached the temple premises barefoot, a mistake, only to be told to go around the temple, when it was abolutely not required if only they had opened the small gate, maybe a way of penance, walking around was painful, both wife and myself had blisters on our feet, my son, the sprinter that he is, ran the distance and saved himself, finally managed darshan to our hearts content and reached the car with great difficulty and god's blessing was able to drive, off on our way to Mangalore.

We took the road Dharmastala - Ujire - Belthangady-BC Road- Mangalore, had lunch at Ujire, Disha Restaurant, nice place and good food, could not have food at the temple as we had blisters and sitting on the floor for me is fight. Had good lunch, bought cocount oil, as somebody had suggested that this would help control the blisters. Again enquired about the road to Mangalore, it was a interesting explanation by the shopkeeper, " Good Road road for 8 kms, No Road for 10 kms and Good road up to Mangalore" and mind you this is what you encounter, not sure how people manage.

Somehow managed to reach BC Road and then to Mangalore, stayed at Moti Mahal, as my policy never use your car for local sightseeing, for 2 reasons route and parking problems, engaged a taxi to go to Kateel and Gurupura, had good darshan at both places, but road to Kateel, about 3-4 kms after Bajpe is absolute mess, no roads but craters.

Next day wanted to visit Manjeshwar in Kerala, though 20 kms from Mangalore, the roads again are bad and narrow and being widened, finally cameback by 10 am and went about local sightseeing.

Next day started to Kundapur, the road is good, but deviations plenty, due to Holidays season, lesser maniacs to face, read bus drivers on the road, reached Kundapur in about 90 minutes. Lazed around in my friend's place, visited Anegudde in the evening.

Next day morning left for Kollur, the road from Kundapur is very good, again as luck would have it, no rush, had a good darshan and proceeded to my Hattiangadi, my annual pilgrimage, on my way back to Kundapur, finished darshan and returned to Kundapur.

The next 2 days did some interior driving to Byloor, Barkur and Vandar, surprisingly the interior roads were very good.

Started for Bangalore on Thursday, 15th November, at 6.30 am, first stop was Surabhi's at Sakleshpur at 10 am, started in 15 minutes, for reasons explained earlier, reached Nice Road Toll booth by 12.45 pm and back home by 3pm after a good meal at Upahara Darshini, my son's favourite, on South End Road.

Eventful journey and pleasant one after ready some harrowing experiences of Shirady Ghats
Rajesh1968 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:44   #4365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post

After Sakleshpur, once in Shirady Ghats, the next 20 odd KMS is bad at the turns,
Are you sure . I traveled through ghats in last week of October on my old zen with 5 on board without scrapping. By the way turns are concrete laid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks