Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:14   #4456
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Yes Shiradi Ghat is ok for most part. For heaven sake and for the sake of your car and yourselves, do not take the Madikeri-Sampaje-Puttur road. The road between Sampaje and BC road is very very bad and highly dusty. There is also no decent eatery on the way even in Madikeri.

Mangalore- Udupi is perpetually being upgraded. My trip was good and Paradise Isle on Malpe is good and decent except a shade costlier, may be due to year end timing.

Beach is excellent and surprisingly clean and family friendly. Water sport can be made a bit cheaper for more people to afford.

shanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:43   #4457
Team-BHP Support

Drove back from Manipal to Bangalore yesterday. The ghats are 95% repaired now. When I expressed my happiness about the repairs, my wife gave me a look and said "This is the repaired road?".

Ok, the quality of repairs is bad. It is full of undulations, can be bad for cars with hard suspension. At one place when I was following a Fortuner, the driver just waved me forward, probably because the vehicle was bouncing a lot at that speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
There is also no decent eatery on the way even in Madikeri.
Huh, what happened to the wonderful East End restaurant in Madikeri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
Mangalore- Udupi is perpetually being upgraded.
Did you see any work being done? The work has stopped since few months after Jagan's bank accounts were frozen.

Read the second paragraph from last. http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=140915

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd January 2013 at 11:48.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:49   #4458
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Mangalore to Manipal and then Goa a few days back. Work has completely stopped, and I don't even remember seeing any construction equipment. I wish the work had never begun. The good old 2 lane highway was much better.

It took me nearly 2 hours from Mangalore to Manipal, as I started my trip at 7 pm. It is very stressful to drive Mangalore to Kundapur. Since the road goes through cities, towns and villages, you have to always alert. Then there are potholes and wrong-side drivers.
It took me 2 hours to get past Byndoor from Manipal!
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:03   #4459
Team-BHP Support

After multiple Bangalore-Mangalore runs, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to take the Bangalore-Magadi town-Kunigal-Mangalore route rather than Bangalore- Nelamangala-Mangalore route.

* The Nelamangala elevated road is a nightmare between 6 PM to 9 PM. Minimum 20 minutes wait at the toll booth. Even after the toll, there is so much traffic that you are mostly driving between 30 & 60 kmph. Plus, there is another bottleneck after you get down from the elevated road at Yeshwanthpur.

* If one opts to not take the elevated road and goes for the "service road", there is again too much traffic (low average speed) not to forget atleast 5 or 6 traffic lights.

In comparison, the Magadi route is lot better - especially during the rush hour (6 PM to 9 PM).

* Very little traffic on this road these days. I guess everybody takes the Nelamangala road.

* No bottleneck at Magadi town. Now it hardly takes 5 mins to get across Magadi town because the road has been tarred recently.

Sunkandakatte bottleneck remains though.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:45   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
After multiple Bangalore-Mangalore runs, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to take the Bangalore-Magadi town-Kunigal-Mangalore route rather than Bangalore- Nelamangala-Mangalore route.

In comparison, the Magadi route is lot better - especially during the rush hour (6 PM to 9 PM).

* Very little traffic on this road these days. I guess everybody takes the Nelamangala road.
For folks in south bangalore, the Kunigal -> magadi -> NICE -> Kanakapura road is the best option. Especially in peak hours this is an amazing route. I have taken this several times and saved a lot of time.

P.S> Good to know that the Kunigal section is now tarred. I really was required.
Old 5th January 2013, 16:32   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Urgent help needed.

Anyone has any reference for a good, safe & reliable cab driver to pick up from Mangalore airport and drop at Manipal University for tomorrow.

This is for a group of girls traveling on their own. The erstwhile regular cab driver has some marriage function and is not able to come.
Old 5th January 2013, 17:10   #4462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Anyone has any reference for a good, safe & reliable cab driver to pick up from Mangalore airport and drop at Manipal University for tomorrow.
Try Suresh at 9945737675. Know him for many years and he is highly reliable.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:03   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
For folks in south bangalore, the Kunigal -> magadi -> NICE -> Kanakapura road is the best option

I wonder if the Okalipuram to Sunkadakatte stretch is do-able nowadays on Magadi Road at 12.30 pm, to get out of the city towards Kunigal ? On my earlier trips there were a lot of diversions and jams in this stretch on account of Metro work.

NICE road would be a nice option, but from my house in Koramangala it does not seem attractive, since I have to cross the Madivala and Silk board mess.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:59   #4464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I wonder if the Okalipuram to Sunkadakatte stretch is do-able nowadays on Magadi Road at 12.30 pm, to get out of the city towards Kunigal ? On my earlier trips there were a lot of diversions and jams in this stretch on account of Metro work.

NICE road would be a nice option, but from my house in Koramangala it does not seem attractive, since I have to cross the Madivala and Silk board mess.
I'd recommend Koramangala - Forum Mall - Dairy Circle - Bannerghatta Road - NICE Road.

Exit the NICE Road at Magadi Road junction to reach Kunigal. Although, reaching NICE Road-Bannerghatta junction might take 45 mins or more, its a quick no hassle drive all the way to Kunigal from there. You will avoid both Sunkadakatte (Magadi Road) & Nelamangala traffic mess.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 15:07   #4465
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I'd recommend Koramangala - Forum Mall - Dairy Circle - Bannerghatta Road - NICE Road.

Exit the NICE Road at Magadi Road junction to reach Kunigal. Although, reaching NICE Road-Bannerghatta junction might take 45 mins or more, its a quick no hassle drive all the way to Kunigal from there. You will avoid both Sunkadakatte (Magadi Road) & Nelamangala traffic mess.
From Koramangala to NICE Road, I would still suggest to go via Silk Board-Hosur Road stretch. Atleast I always take that route. After all, Silk Board junction is not that big pain to cross since you have to take the flyover to bypass it anyways. And the traffic on hosur road has reduced nowadys due to the elevated toll road. From Koramangala, you should reach the NICE road-Hosur road junction within 20 mins max.
Staying in Koramangala and joining NICE road at Bannerghatta road would be a big big pain. Major mess on Bannerghatta road starts after Jayadeva hospital. Even if you have to go to some place on Bannerghatta road after Jayadeva hospital, its better to take the shotcut via Maruti Nagar-BTM Layout 1-BTM Layout 2 and join the BG road directly near IIM Bangalore.
Please avoid going via Dairy Circle since you will get stuck at numerous places such as Christ College, Accenture, Sagar Apollo junction, etc.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 15:09   #4466
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I did the 4th Shiradi run in the last 3 weeks. Glad to say Shiradi is fully fixed, but with rough patch work. I even managed to get 11.5kmpl in the GV over the 400kms drive. I rarely exceeded 100kmph or 3K rpm.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 15:36   #4467
Senior - BHPian

One thing you want to watch out is those wanabe-schumacher's doing all kinds of stunts on the ghats, found many hatch/sedans driven very rashly, overtaking on the turns, leaving no space for on coming vehicles on the turns.

Its most likely that you find such crowd during holidays...
Old 7th January 2013, 16:31   #4468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although this route is very good, it is not necessarily faster. Passing through Sunkadakatte and reaching Gollarahatti (NICE rd overbridge) itself is a big pain. There is little traffic once you cross Thavarekere, but your average speed will still be slower since you will have to cross the ghat section. On the Nelamangala tolled road, you can make up for the lost time.

But it may be faster when you are returning to Bangalore (depending on where you stay and the time you enter Bangalore).

I stay in Rajarajeshwarinagar and usually take the Nelamangala tolled road on whenever I go to Hassan. While returning, if it is on a Sunday evening or Monday morning (reaching Goraguntepalya after 8), I take the Magadi route.

Quote:
At 12.30 pm, it should be very easy. Usually, there will be a traffic pileup near the Housing Board bus stop as most BMTC drivers park the buses on the roadside to have lunch. Apart from this, there will be no major delays.

Magadi road is still undergoing Metro work. The best route is to go through Rajajinagar Entrance-Rajajinagar 6th Block-Magadi road (near Prasanna theater). You will avoid the bad sections.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 19:10   #4469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
From Koramangala, you should reach the NICE road-Hosur road junction within 20 mins max
I am not able to figure out as to how to get off the BETL road and get on to the NICE road at the Hosur Road - NICE road junction, as the google map shows a Trumpet exchange, but shows only the service road connected to the NICE road. Does one have to travel below the BETL to get onto the NICE road ?
Old 7th January 2013, 20:10   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to figure out as to how to get off the BETL road and get on to the NICE road at the Hosur Road - NICE road junction, as the google map shows a Trumpet exchange, but shows only the service road connected to the NICE road. Does one have to travel below the BETL to get onto the NICE road ?
Yes - there's no direct way to get on to the NICE road from BETL. So if you're coming from Koramangala side, you have to either come on the NH below the BETL or else backtrack for about 2 / 2.5 kms after you get down from BETL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks