Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 22:22   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

When you are driving towards Bangalore and approaching Kunigal exit, please do not drive on the left lane. Just after the Kunigal exit (within 10-20 meters), the left lane of the bypass has a very bad surface. It is kinda flowy, and you cannot tell there is a pothole when you are doing even 80 kmph. It looks like some oil/fuel leaked from some stopped vehicle and melted the surface. I was doing only 80-90 kmph and my car's both right suspensions gave heavy thud noises. I thought I was done for, as I have had a broken suspension strut while driving to Bangalore from Mangalore. I was lucky this time.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:48   #4472
BHPian

Hi,
I'm planning to do a short trip to Madikeri from Mangalore. It would be of great help if somebody could provide me with road updates of Puttur-Sullia-Madikeri. Any other routes possible?
Old 7th January 2013, 23:58   #4473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
For heaven sake and for the sake of your car and yourselves, do not take the Madikeri-Sampaje-Puttur road. The road between Sampaje and BC road is very very bad and highly dusty. There is also no decent eatery on the way even in Madikeri.

shanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to do a short trip to Madikeri from Mangalore. It would be of great help if somebody could provide me with road updates of Puttur-Sullia-Madikeri. Any other routes possible?
Its not good. Quoting an earlier post from team-bhpian who travelled on this stretch recently.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:47   #4474
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mooza;3009371]I am not able to figure out as to how to get off the BETL road and get on to the NICE road at the Hosur Road - NICE road junction, quote]

Hi mooza, you have to get down the BETL and come till Veerasandra cross and take a U turn and go back towards BETL toll gate and join the service road by going to left lane off the BETL toll road, then pass by NTTF, Infosys Campus to your left and then join NICE road after HP gate from the service road.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 17:54   #4475
Senior - BHPian

Went from Bangalore to Guruvayankere - Udupi - Mulky - Kateel - Kabaka puttur - Kukke and back over the weekend for a friends' marriage. While onward, the ghat was being repaired for the last few corners, the return journey saw the work completed. The guys have done a good job. At some places the roads are real smooth but you can feel the rough at places, but it is manageable.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:29   #4476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Hi mooza, you have to get down the BETL and come till Veerasandra cross and take a U turn and go back towards BETL toll gate and join the service road by going to left lane off the BETL toll road, then pass by NTTF, Infosys Campus to your left and then join NICE road after HP gate from the service road.
Thanks for that tip !

The exit from the NICE road towards Magadi town is the following one, I hope:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.991...4&z=17&l=0&m=m

Friends, please confirm the above, as I do not want to overshoot the exit, considering I have to attend a birth anniversary function the same evening in Mangalore

Last edited by mooza : 10th January 2013 at 13:30.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:33   #4477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Friends, please confirm the above, as I do not want to overshoot the exit, considering I have to attend a birth anniversary function the same evening in Mangalore
I saw the link on my mobile (not very clear), but from what I saw, that is the exit. There are ample sign boards which show exit to join Magadi road. You will have to take a left U turn from the Nice road to reach magadi road and then right towards Magadi when you join the main road.

Even if you overshoot the Magadi exit, the next exit is Tumkur road. So, you will not lose much time
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 14:42   #4478
Senior - BHPian

The exit you have mentioned from the map is correct, no need to worry still, if you miss you will end up on Tumkur Road. If you are travelling on Magadi-Kunigal route in the afternoon you will find traffic all the way upto Magadi still doeable in 1hour. Roads are good all the way.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 16:36   #4479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I did the 4th Shiradi run in the last 3 weeks. Glad to say Shiradi is fully fixed, but with rough patch work. I even managed to get 11.5kmpl in the GV over the 400kms drive. I rarely exceeded 100kmph or 3K rpm.
Samurai, Is it fixed enough to take the Shiradi ghat route on a Figo with 4 adults and luggage and be on the tyres for major part of the route than on the belly of the car? Planning to leave early tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:42   #4480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Samurai, Is it fixed enough to take the Shiradi ghat route on a Figo with 4 adults and luggage and be on the tyres for major part of the route than on the belly of the car? Planning to leave early tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Yeah, fully fixed. It is just undulating a lot, won't hit the underbelly.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 17:37   #4481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Hi,
Unless you have specific reasons to touch Puttur or Sullia, the best road conditions to Madikeri from Bangalore would be - Bangalore - Mysore (ring road , right turn at Columbia Asia) - Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Madikeri. Roads are good all the way. I understand that the Mysore bypass via Srirangapatna is not in good condition and hence suggesting Mysore ring road.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:40   #4482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Did this stretch on a Baleno with 5 adults and luggage in full, never had trouble with the belly or the tyres. The road is decent enough, but look out for morons who appear suddenly on your windshield on a bend overtaking a trailer.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:21   #4483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, fully fixed. It is just undulating a lot, won't hit the underbelly.
Am leaving for Mangalore tomorrow morning (17th). Driving my XUV. I hope the conditions are fine (based on the thread seems that it should be straightforward)
I will update the thread with the Shiradi ghat condition once I reach the hotel.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:12   #4484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post

Am leaving for Mangalore tomorrow morning (17th). Driving my XUV. I hope the conditions are fine (based on the thread seems that it should be straightforward)
I will update the thread with the Shiradi ghat condition once I reach the hotel.
It should be bed of roses for xuv. Happy journey. However suggest you to keep low speed at ghats since roads are rough and undulating.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:47   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Roads are good all the way, enjoy the drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks