Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 19:05   #4576
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Hi All, I will be leaving to udupi on thursday morning (Thanks to the long weekend :-) ). I am planning to take Tumkur-Charmadi route. I will be traveling with 10 month old infant. Is it in good condition to take an infant ? Car would be Punto.
I agree with @JMaruru. I have traveled with my 1 month old infant son from Bangalore to Udupi, and the Shiradi route was a much better option. With a child, remember that you will need to stop more often, and might require some basic shop/facilities.

If you must do Charmadi, the recommended route is Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire. No major issues with the road itself, my cousin drove this route couple of days ago.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 19:10   #4577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I will be leaving to udupi on thursday morning (Thanks to the long weekend :-) ). I am planning to take Tumkur-Charmadi route. I will be traveling with 10 month old infant. Is it in good condition to take an infant ? Car would be Punto.
Incidentally one my friend did the same trip in a Punto a week before.

Your route should ideally be Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere Hand Post - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Moodabirdi (or via Naravi) - karkala - Udupi if you are not keen or bored or Charmadi route.

The condition of the roads remain good all through.

Though narrower in comparison to Shiradi, Charmadi route witnesses minimal traffic all through and is a charm to drive with the surrounding natural beauty of western ghats.

Facilities wise -
With a tankful, you may not need to refill till your final destination.
For Food and Sanitation, you can target Belur and later to this all the way till Ujire you may not get clean/good options (since you wont even get inside Mudigere town).
Old 9th April 2013, 09:27   #4578
BHPian

Returned from a trip to Udupi yesterday.
Onward: BLR - Hassan - Sakaleshpura - Shiradi - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi
Return: Udupi - Hebri - Agumbe - Shimoga - Arasikere - Tumkur - BLR

As others have mentioned earlier, road work going on after Hassan bypass towards Sakaleshpura (shared lanes, gravel lanes). No potholes in Shiradi, but ride is bumpy. BC Road stretch is fine. Mangalore to Udupi is fine too, with some lane-sharing due to construction.

Hebri to Shimoga (NH 13), and Shimoga to BLR (NH 206) are in good condition. Zero potholes, smooth tarmac all along.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:41   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why do you want to do Tumkur- Charmadi? If you do not have any stopovers, i suggest shiradi over charmadi. It is wider, better and has many a support facilities compared to the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I agree with @JMaruru. I have traveled with my 1 month old infant son from Bangalore to Udupi, and the Shiradi route was a much better option. With a child, remember that you will need to stop more often, and might require some basic shop/facilities.

If you must do Charmadi, the recommended route is Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire. No major issues with the road itself, my cousin drove this route couple of days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Incidentally one my friend did the same trip in a Punto a week before.

Your route should ideally be Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere Hand Post - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Moodabirdi (or via Naravi) - karkala - Udupi if you are not keen or bored or Charmadi route.

Thanks all for the replies...decided to do Blr-Hassan-Charmadi route as the traffic would be less . will update regarding the road conditions once i come back :-)
Old 10th April 2013, 13:01   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies...decided to do Blr-Hassan-Charmadi route as the traffic would be less . will update regarding the road conditions once i come back :-)
Just in case you have doubts regarding traveling with an infant, here is some recommended reading: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ift-dzire.html

All the best!
Old 10th April 2013, 17:07   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Folks,what is the normal drive time to be factored in between Nelamangala and Pumpwell now a days via Shiradi ghat route.
Just back from my weekend drive to Mangalore. Never exceeded 100kph throughout the journey . Took us 7 hours including a 30 mins stop at Kamat and another 45 min stop at Uppinangady .
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:45   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph

If you are planning to take a deviation at Sakleshpur to reach Mudigere-Charmadi, think twice. Apart from condition being bad, its very narrow, hardly enough for a single vehicle to pass.
I took this route today, and it took me more than an hour to cover this intermediate stretch of around 20 kms.
But once you reach the highway connecting Mudigere-Charmadi, road conditions are excellent. Traffic conditions on this stretch, as you have mentioned, is sparse.
I would suggest you to stick to the Shiradi ghat route.

Happy and safe journey.

Last edited by Me-hul : 10th April 2013 at 17:49.
Old 10th April 2013, 22:27   #4583
Senior - BHPian

There was a pretty bad accident near uppinangadi when i loaded LPG tanker toppled and exploded killing and injuring many as well as burning near by houses.

Really sad and shocking. I always felt these tankers are moving time bombs and looks like now with roads in better condition, accidents are on the rise too.

Advice cautious driving to fellow bhpians, don't get tempted by good roads. Stay safe
Old 25th April 2013, 09:28   #4584
BHPian

Bangalore - Challakere - Kundapura

Hello guys,

Its been a long time since I posted here. I live in Singapore and am on holiday in Bangalore.

I am planning to go from Bangalore to Challakere(spend 2 days) and then Challakere to Kundapura.

Bangalore to Challakere is pretty Straightforward.

I wanted to ask about the Challakere to route.

From Google maps I see shows me the best route as
Challakere - Chitradurga - Holalakere - Channagiri - Shimoga - Thirthalli - Agumbe - Kota - Kundapura

Also the stretch between Channagiri and Shimoga, Google maps tells no need to go via Bhadravati which is NH instead just go straight through over a narrow road and it doesnt even look like a state highway. How good is this?

Interestingly Google's best route tells me to skip Agumbe altogether and instead take SH26 and SH52.

I am driving a 10 yr old Zen with 4-5 people in it and low ground clearance and not very experienced doing ghat sections. Wonder if it is worth skipping Agumbe.

Here are the routes:

a)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...mra=ls&t=m&z=9

b)

Please suggest which is the best one.

Thanks,
Revhappy!
Old 25th April 2013, 10:19   #4585
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Challakere - Kundapura

From Thirthahalli I think you should take the road via Agumbe/Halady. Or even you can go via Hebri. But dont the know the conditions.

Have no idea how the road from Chelkere to Chitradurga is.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 10:51   #4586
Senior - BHPian

The road from Channagiri to Shimoga is good. Channagiri to Bhadravati, there is no road (its horrible)
Old 26th April 2013, 16:02   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Drove to mangalore and wow the roads are good. Took six hours to reach mangalore plus break fast break of 20min .

No wonder this thread has gone silent. which is good

Only observation is road is bit chaotic with all that widening work and there is confusion without proper signboards. So be a little cautious
Old 27th April 2013, 11:13   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hello guys,

Its been a long time since I posted here. I live in Singapore and am on holiday in Bangalore.

I am planning to go from Bangalore to Challakere(spend 2 days) and then Challakere to Kundapura.

Bangalore to Challakere is pretty Straightforward.

I wanted to ask about the Challakere to route.

From Google maps I see shows me the best route as
Challakere - Chitradurga - Holalakere - Channagiri - Shimoga - Thirthalli - Agumbe - Kota - Kundapura

Also the stretch between Channagiri and Shimoga, Google maps tells no need to go via Bhadravati which is NH instead just go straight through over a narrow road and it doesnt even look like a state highway. How good is this?

Interestingly Google's best route tells me to skip Agumbe altogether and instead take SH26 and SH52.

I am driving a 10 yr old Zen with 4-5 people in it and low ground clearance and not very experienced doing ghat sections. Wonder if it is worth skipping Agumbe.

Here are the routes:

a)

b)

Please suggest which is the best one.

Thanks,
Revhappy!
I came back from Udupi via this route 2 weeks ago:
Udupi - Hebri - Agumbe - Tirthahalli - Shimoga - Bhadravati bypass - Tarikere - Kadur - Birur - Arasikere - Tumkur - BLR

Agumbe ghats to Tirthahalli strechs is newly laid and is too good. Overall, road is good all along and there's a 24hr CCD near Arsikere. If you want to take NH 4, then from Shimoga you can go to Chennagiri and then to Chitradurga.
370Z is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 12:18   #4589
BHPian

Made a quick visit to Dharma last Sat. Drove thru' shiradi & while back came thru' Charmudi. Shiradi is really good & Charmudi road is excellent. Newly laid roads. BTW any one travelled to Horanadu/Sringeri recently? Would like to know the road condition from Balehonnur to Horanadu/Sringeri. Last time when I visited it was very rough & broken roads with potholes. Planning a visit shortly. I think best route would be -Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Horanadu-Kudremukh Rd-Sringeri, but would like to know Balehonnur-Sringeri, also any work done bet'n Kalasa-Horanadu. Last time it was in very bad state.
Old 27th April 2013, 20:35   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Udupi this morning. Nothing new to report, doable on any car now. Spotted a couple of small craters on the road in the ghats. Noise from the tyre seeps into the cabin on the stretch due to undulations from the patch work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks