Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 14:14   #4726
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

thanks sushrutha.
I'll take Charmadi route. Though travelled in this route earlier once my preference was always shiradi . God only knows when they start repair work, may be after monsoon season.
Old 18th September 2013, 19:04   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Better take Charmadi. It's in good condition as it's been recently upgraded to National Highway.
Oh! This is news! When did this happen? I hope it is just not on paper and they would widen and maintain the road better.
Old 18th September 2013, 19:19   #4728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Oh! This is news! When did this happen? I hope it is just not on paper and they would widen and maintain the road better.
The Charmadi route as Sushrutha mentions is a National highway since more than a year now. Even when I traveled 5 months back, the milestones were all marked in White and Yellow signifying that its a NH now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...way_234_(India)

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th September 2013 at 19:45.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 11:24   #4729
BHPian

Hello All,

Just an update, i travelled in this route two weeks back. Roads are good. Hassan-BLR is a pleasure ! I was able to keep an average speed of 100 in most of the trip, and if i take total average for BLR to Hassan and Hassan to BLR (return trip) my speed average was 92

After Hassan also, roads are not bad. But, yes, you will find few places bad. But not very bad, as it was before.
Old 20th September 2013, 22:26   #4730
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mangalore & back-via Shiradi Ghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Those living in Bangalore should not worry about Shiradi ghat conditions. I mean how much worst can it be compared to the pathetic state of roads i am driving every day

I will be driving during navaratri to Mangalore and hoping that some repair work happens by then in the ghats .
But I dont think it is as bad as those mining truck days isnt it ?
yes, just driving in Nrupathunga road, or at the ETO junction (after HCG hospital) everyday, I don't feel left out of the 'destroyed' roads of the shiradi !!
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:03   #4731
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mangalore & back-via Shiradi Ghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
yes, just driving in Nrupathunga road, or at the ETO junction (after HCG hospital) everyday, I don't feel left out of the 'destroyed' roads of the shiradi !!
Bannerghatta Road contention is worse than Shiradi's worst condition. BG road has been like that since, probably, 2000 years... ?
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:48   #4732
BHPian

So,a quick update for the folks on this thread.
Did the Bangalore - Kundapur route on Sep 20th and returned back to Bangalore yesterday(22nd Sep)
The journey took me 8 hours 40 minutes including 1 hour of break time.
The Shiradi ghat has taken a severe beating at "some points" but still drivable if your car has decent GC.I was tempted to take the Agumbe route during the return journey but was a bit apprehensive about the road conditions.From what I hear,the stretch between Agumbe and Thirtahalli has been in good condition inspite of the rains in that part of the world.

The return journey was a bit slow due to heavy traffic in the shiradi ghats.
I tool close to 9 hours and 25 minutes(from Kundapur to Bangalore,Electronic city)
Old 28th September 2013, 19:45   #4733
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,

Plan to do the following drive:

Sakleshpur > Mangalore airport > Bekal

1. What is the preferred route for a comfortable drive (doesn't have to be the shortest)?

2. I am told I should budget for 2hrs for M'lore airport to Bekal. How much time should I budget for Sakleshpur to Mangalore airport?

I need to pick up a friend at Mangalore airport and head to Bekal. If the above route is a taxing drive, I shall ask my friend to arrange for a taxi to Bekal so I can head to Bekal directly from Sakleshpur via Jalsoor.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:56   #4734
BHPian

Update:

Had to travel to Udupi on Sep/27 from Bangalore. Left Bangalore at 2:30 PM and reached Mangalore by 9:30 PM. Another 2 hours to reach Udupi. From Sakleshpur to few tens of kilometers before Bantwal, the entire stretch was a disaster in terms of road quality. I was driving a wagon-R and due to its small size (and mostly down hill driving), GC was not an issue, as I was able to find atleast one patch at the edge of the road that can give me traction. I could not check other side of the road, but that should be worse (as it was facing the hilly walls and more chances of damage there). The good thing was width of the road, allowing easy overtaking. There are not big craters of any sort while going to mangalore. Because of loose gravel, its very dusty, and switching on fog lamps and low beams will help. Don't use high beams under these circumstances. Overall, it think it was justified to do this trip one way in wagon-R due to narrow width of the car, which was sufficient enough to provide me traction on broken roads, and places where the roads have caved in, short length of waggie helped me. I would not take my civic there for sure on that road. If u have a small car or an offroader, you can manage this route (atleast Bangalore-to-Mangalore one way). Returning back can be tricky, and I avoided this route completely. I took Manipala -> Karkala -> Belthangady -> Charmadi -> Mudigere -> Belur -> Hassan -> Bangalore route. Till Hassan it will be two lane narrow state highway road, but less crowded and excellent road condition. In my entire drive while returning, it will probably add to 2-3 kms of bad roads (Compare that to almost 40 kms of bad roads on the bangalore-mangalore NH). Here's the math: Left Manipala at 3PM, reached Mudigere by 6:30 PM. Advantage was good roads and shorter ghat length of Charmadi. (Its scenic too and at one point you are at the highest point of the hill and get to experience some awesome scenarios). If you are coming downhill (On outer edge of the ghat) - It may be serious at a few points where there is no boundary wall (you will be scared) - as it will be a steep fall from the cliff. That may not be on top of your heads, but I thought of sharing this with you all - and I would have avoided that if I were to come in reverse direction. That is my personal view. Also that are few unlabelled hairpins where you should avoid losing momentum and still need to pull up in first/second gear. The turns do not allow much flexibility as width is smaller. I managed the steepness with K10 wagon-R, so powerful hatchbacks need not worry . A ford fiesta was comfortably maneuvering, so for sedans too it should not be a concern. The whole return trip was completed in just 7 hours and it was very comfortable. Please do take this route if you want comfort, want to experience ghats in daylight. The speeds will not be so high that passengers will have discomfort due to body roll. they will be lost in the scenic beauty
devsoftech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 13:42   #4735
BHPian

Hi Folks, need an urgent help on the route, road condition and best place for lodging for a visit to Mookambika Temple (Kollur).
The plan is to leave Bangalore on Oct 3rd morning and return on Oct 5th evening. I have never been to this part before hence I don't have any idea on the route. Also need suggestion where should I stay (Mangalore / Udupi) with a recommendation on an affordable hotel, the room need not be filled with fancy stuff and the only requirement is cleanliness.

assist. Thank you in advance, Cheers.
Old 1st October 2013, 15:43   #4736
BHPian

Hi devsoftech, Even I took the Charmadi route as suggested by our mate. I had been to Dharma & Kukke & returned yesterday. My regular route always used to be shiradi but this time I didn't want to take the risk & spoil my Rapid. Hassan & Belur - inside town is horrible just like ghat roads, though motorable. Charmadi is in very good condition, except for few potholes 9developing) in some area. Anyone traveling towards M'lore, Charmadi is best option for low ground clearance vehicles.
Old 1st October 2013, 20:15   #4737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Also need suggestion where should I stay (Mangalore / Udupi) with a recommendation on an affordable hotel, the room need not be filled with fancy stuff and the only requirement is cleanliness.
You have plenty of budget lodging options in Mangalore/Udupi. In Mangalore, you can consider 'Ganesh Prasad', Ayodhya or even Ginger. In Udupi, there is Kediyoor, Woodlands and Karavali. Ginger and Karavali or on NH, so easy to get in and out.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 22:03   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
need suggestion where should I stay (Mangalore / Udupi)
With a 6am / 7am start from Bangalore and slow drive on the bad Shiradi ghats road, you could target Udupi ( ~ 420 kms ) or even Kundapura ( ~ 455 kms )

Hotels on Udupi byepass - apart from Karavali, Sharada International is also good.

Kundapura - Hotel Sharon ( the entrance road is just messy because of flyover construction ).

Kollur is approx 60 - 70 mins drive ( 35 kms ) from Kundapura.
roamingrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:29   #4739
BHPian

I heard Karavali is closed down by bank or some government entity (KIADB or something), as they had huge loans and failed to pay up interest! Is it true? Are they operating now?
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:24   #4740
BHPian

[quote=treadmark;3253623]Hi Folks, need an urgent help on the route, road condition and best place for lodging for a visit to Mookambika Temple (Kollur).

At Udupi you can comfortably stay at UDUPI RESIDENCY very near to the New Bus stand The hotel has Bar/Restaurant and a perfect place for a family to stay and to enjoy good food The rates are reasonable

I have been reading several posts on the road condition between Bangalore to Mangalore particularly on the Shiradi Ghats which is supposed to be worst as on date You can also think of Bangalore>Hassan>Belur>Mudigere route which appears to be in good shape as per the updates provided by many bhpians Now that the rainy season is almost over I think road repairs on the Shiradi Ghat section might have started or may be in progress.

Once you are back after your trip please update with all the information including photos for the benefit of all
KALSANKRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks