Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 11:45   #4906
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I will be driving to Mangalore next week for the first time from Bangalore. Will be driving Ford Figo. As per the updates i plan to take the Charmadi route. Need more info on deviation after Hasan to Belur ? Gmaps show sh110 and sh112 for Belur.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:07   #4907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I will be driving to Mangalore next week for the first time from Bangalore. Will be driving Ford Figo. As per the updates i plan to take the Charmadi route. Need more info on deviation after Hasan to Belur ? Gmaps show sh110 and sh112 for Belur.

Thanks in advance.
V&V, The routes you have mentioned are much ahead of Hassan in Mangalore route. That is not the recommended route.

You need to enter Hassan town and take a right turn on SH 57 ( it is about 40 Kms to Belur from Hassan)

Instead of entering the Hassan town, you can take the Bypass road ( Hassan-Sakleshpur, you cannot miss it as there is a sign board indicating entry to Hassan town) and along the bypass road after a couple of Kms, at the second X junction turn right to enter Hassan town and soon after at a circle, take left for a couple of Kms for a swift right exit to Belur road.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Another alternative is to keep going till the end of the bypass, take a right at the end of the bypass, travel 2kms (towards Hassan from M'lore side) and take left for Belur.
Prasad
Yup I agree, that is a simpler solution. Just drive to the end of the Bypass road ( you will see the road from Hassan town joing the Highway on your right) at that junction take a U turn and drive into the Hassan town road, after a couple of Kms, Belur road will be on your left.

and Prasad, Have a great trip to NewZealand. Look forward to your Travelogue with lots of photos (Ramkya has filled in most though)

Last edited by ashkamath : 26th December 2013 at 12:18.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 12:10   #4908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Instead of entering the Hassan town, you can take the Bypass road ( Hassan-Sakleshpur, you cannot miss it as there is a sign board indicating entry to Hassan town) and along the bypass road after a couple of Kms, at the second X junction turn right to enter Hassan town and soon after at a circle, take left for a couple of Kms for a swift right exit to Belur road.
Another alternative is to keep going till the end of the bypass, take a right at the end of the bypass, travel 2kms (towards Hassan from M'lore side) and take left for Belur.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:09   #4909
BHPian

Planning for a Bangalore / Mangalore round trip this weekend Need suggestions. Below is my plan would request for route / stay suggestions

Bangalore -> Hassan -> Mangalore (Via Shiradi Ghat) -> Udupi -> Hornadu -> Kalasa -> Belur -> Halebeedu -> Hassan -> Bangalore.

Plan for a 2 night stay at Mangalore and on night at Hornadu / Kalasa.

I will be on on Ford Figo and bit worried about the roads. Obviously because of the ground clearance. Is it safe?

Last edited by vinukm : 26th December 2013 at 16:14.
Old 26th December 2013, 16:28   #4910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Bangalore -> Hassan -> Mangalore (Via Shiradi Ghat) -> Udupi -> Hornadu -> Kalasa -> Belur -> Halebeedu -> Hassan -> Bangalore.

I will be on on Ford Figo and bit worried about the roads. Obviously because of the ground clearance. Is it safe?
Udupi-Karkala-Bajagoli-Kudramukh-Kalasa is very good to drive. Amazing tar.
Udupi-Karakala : Patched up sector, but quite easy.

Kalasa-Kottigehara-Mudigere : This is some what bad with quite many rough and pot holed sections. But all in all easily doable.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:58   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Planning for a Bangalore / Mangalore round trip this weekend Need suggestions. Below is my plan would request for route / stay suggestions

Plan for a 2 night stay at Mangalore and on night at Hornadu / Kalasa.

As had been said in this thread earlier, Charmadi Ghat is a better option to reach Mangalore over Shiradi Ghat. The people who have driven through Charmadi ( as recently as last week) have reported excellent road ( except for a small distance of pot holed road), but this route being about 40 Kms more / 1 hour longer than Shiradi route, it is your choice. If the safety of car and inmates comfort is the main criteria, then Charmadi Ghat is the better choice over Shiradi for obvious reasons.

But if you choose Shiradi route, could you please take some snaps at the Ghat section and post it over this thread, so that people will have a fair idea about what they need to endure in this road. That will really help many to take a call on this route.

While returning towards Belur at Mudigere, insted of returning via the same route, you could as well proceed straight to Chikamagalur ( with lovely coffee estates and a real chilled place to be at this time of the year) and then on to Kadur (SH206)-Arasikere-Tiptur-Bangalore. I don't know how the road conditions are in the Chikamagalur-Kadur section, but from Kadur onwards, the SH206 though pretty congested is a decent drive back to Bangalore with a different perspective to the whole tour
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 10:39   #4912
BHPian

Hi,
Mangalore-Kasargod stretch is under road widening at many places and the surface is extremely uneven, lots of opposite side traffic due to some closed sections for widening. Progress on this would be slow. Lots of truck and buses as well.

Those traveling Bangalore-Hassan-Kasargod can go via Charmadi- Belthangady- Puttur-Kasargod. These roads are pretty motorable and no issues (though roads are narrow and could be twisty, its pretty scenic).
Old 28th December 2013, 18:08   #4913
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Today i travelled from Bangalore to Dharmasthala via Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Ujire. The roads are decent and had fun driving in charmadi ghats with neat roads. Few kms of stretch is bad but still manageable.

I would suggest people who are driving to Mangalore to take the above route and enjoy the drive, instead of suffering on the bad unmotorable shiradi ghat.

Also people who are travelling to kukke from dharamasthala or vice versa, the stretch is bad and please watch out for craters in the entire stretch.

Last edited by fusionbang : 28th December 2013 at 18:09. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 1st January 2014, 09:06   #4914
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Happy New Year....

Did Bangalore - Mangalore via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Bantwal. 97% roads are in great shape. After Charmadi to Bantwal roads are narrow with reasonable traffic.

One more query, Will be going to Coorg from Mangalore this weekend.
What is the latest road condition Mangalore - Puttur - Madikeri.
Old 1st January 2014, 12:45   #4915
BHPian

This was the condition two weeks back, there was work going on too. So i guess it would have got marginally better
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I just did a Madikeri - Mangalore drive on Sunday. The bad stretch from Sampaje to Jalsoor took around 75 mins, the car (Punto) didn't bottom out anywhere. If you go slow the road can be managed. Don't think the extra 40 Kms is worth the trouble.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 13:31   #4916
BHPian

I travelled on 26th from Sakleshpur to Kukke via Shiradi ghats. While the initial 5 kms was a breeze, the next 20~25 kms till we reach Gundya was horrible.

It needs lot of patience, skill to negotiate this stretch. Many times you need to stop & analyse how to jump from one crater to another without your underbody taking a hit. Sometimes its also a matter of luck whether any vehicle comes your way while you are deciding how to negotiate the curve. It took me 1.5 hrs and lot of anxiety (sweat) to reach Gundya.

From Gundya to Kukke roads are excellent.

Kukke to Dharmastala: I suggest people to drive back to Gundya, continue on Mangalore highway and take a right to Dharmastala. I made the mistake of taking the direct route to Dharmastala and again it was horrible.

Dharmasthala to Mangalore via Ujire is very good.

Mangalore to Kundapur is again good but every 5 kms both the lanes get merged either to right or left side alternatively.

While returning from Byndoor (Saivishram) we took Hemmady, Agumbe, Thirtahalli, Shimoga, Chitradurga, Bangalore route. There were few bad patches on our way to Agumbe.
Old 1st January 2014, 14:04   #4917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Happy New Year....

Did Bangalore - Mangalore via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Bantwal. 97% roads are in great shape. After Charmadi to Bantwal roads are narrow with reasonable traffic.

One more query, Will be going to Coorg from Mangalore this weekend.
What is the latest road condition Mangalore - Puttur - Madikeri.
Hi V&V,

We travelled in this route this weekend and roads are pretty good from Mangalore - Mani - Puttur, as most of the stretches are completed. But when you are about to reach Sullia just 5kms back, road repair is going on you will find pot holes at regular intervals.

And once you cross Sullia City, the nightmare starts where it is difficult to find roads as it is filled with only pot holes till Sampaje. Once you cross Sampaje checkpost, you can do a joyful drive where you will enjoy each and every curve, which I did

Hope this helps!!
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:25   #4918
BHPian

Charmadi is currently getting a fresh layer of tar and is excellent! Judging by the responses here, Shiradi doesn't seem to have any progress so I would avoid it for now. Hopefully they get to work on it soon.
Old 3rd January 2014, 22:47   #4919
BHPian

Ok,just travelled from Kundapur to Bangalore(Electronic city) via Mlore,Shiradi,Hassan.
Left Kundapur at 1230pm and managed to reach Sakleshpur by 4.15pm(Non stop)
Took a 30 minute break at Sakleshpur and started here by 4.45pm and reached Electronic city(Via Nice road) by 8pm.

Road Conditions
KUndapur to Mlore - Pretty good roads,4 laning work still in progress and a few diversions here and there.But overall,the roads are good.

Mlore to Gundya - Neat roads.Patch work is going on at brisk pace at Gundya and upwards on the Ghat section

Here is the most interesting part
Gundya to Sakleshpur - Pleasantly surprised to see the improvement since the last time I drove on this route in Nov.The repair work is also in progress at various stretches of the Shiradi Ghat.As per reliable info,the entire stretch should be redone by January end(I think this is optimistic,but possible)
I managed to cover this stretch in 1 hour.

Sakleshpur to Bangalore - Roads are top class.Tolls are operational at all points on this highway now

My vote still stays with Shiradi!
Old 3rd January 2014, 23:28   #4920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi V&V,

We travelled in this route this weekend and roads are pretty good from Mangalore - Mani - Puttur, as most of the stretches are completed. But when you are about to reach Sullia just 5kms back, road repair is going on you will find pot holes at regular intervals.

And once you cross Sullia City, the nightmare starts where it is difficult to find roads as it is filled with only pot holes till Sampaje. Once you cross Sampaje checkpost, you can do a joyful drive where you will enjoy each and every curve, which I did

Hope this helps!!
Mangalore to Madikeri road is good, avoid entering Puttur town , take bypass road ( near a junction having two petrol bunks).

Most Viewed