Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 23:54   #4921
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Ok,just travelled from Kundapur to Bangalore(Electronic city) via Mlore,Shiradi,Hassan.
Left Kundapur at 1230pm and managed to reach Sakleshpur by 4.15pm(Non stop)
This is an excellent timing.

Quote:
Here is the most interesting part
Gundya to Sakleshpur - Pleasantly surprised to see the improvement since the last time I drove on this route in Nov.The repair work is also in progress at various stretches of the Shiradi Ghat.As per reliable info,the entire stretch should be redone by January end(I think this is optimistic,but possible)
I managed to cover this stretch in 1 hour.
Great to hear. I have to take this route since I have to buy tea/coffee powder at Kadumane shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Mangalore to Madikeri road is good, avoid entering Puttur town , take bypass road ( near a junction having two petrol bunks).
Despite the Sullya-Sampaje stretch?
Old 4th January 2014, 00:27   #4922
Team-BHP Support

From Udupi which is a better option? Karkala/Bajagoli or the route via Mangalore? Distance wise they seem to be same. So if its 4-lane on NH17 till Mangalore, that seems like a better option.
Old 4th January 2014, 01:04   #4923
BHPian

Interesting comments about the Shiradi Ghats...I think I'm going to take that route this morning - leaving from Bangalore in about 2 hours. I should be able to update here on how the roads look later today.
Old 4th January 2014, 08:07   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
From Udupi which is a better option? Karkala/Bajagoli or the route via Mangalore? Distance wise they seem to be same. So if its 4-lane on NH17 till Mangalore, that seems like a better option.
I rode from Udupi to Bangalore yesterday. Karkala-narvi-guruvayankere-belthangady-ujire-charmadi-moodigere-belur-hassan-Bangalore.

A couple of bad stretches near Narvi but otherwise the roads are great! Charmadi is wonderful to drive on. Started from Udupi at 11, was in Hassan by 3, had lunch and reached home in Bangalore by 6.15.
Old 4th January 2014, 11:53   #4925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I rode from Udupi to Bangalore yesterday. Karkala-narvi-guruvayankere-belthangady-ujire-charmadi-moodigere-belur-hassan-Bangalore.

A couple of bad stretches near Narvi but otherwise the roads are great! Charmadi is wonderful to drive on. Started from Udupi at 11, was in Hassan by 3, had lunch and reached home in Bangalore by 6.15.
That's an excellent tip Added_flavor. I believe you were riding your duke . I shall be riding my Duke 390 from Goa to Mangalore this coming monday and then from Mangalore to Bangalore on tuesday afternoon (probably. If I finish my engagements in time). I am thinking of taking the Mangalore-BC Road / Bantwal-Belthangady-Ujire-Charmadi-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore route.

But I read in this thread that Shiradi ghat is also getting repaired and ridable and for a Motorcycle I presume the potholes should not matter as much as a 4 wheeler. So I am thinking the best option of the two routes.

Last edited by ashkamath : 4th January 2014 at 11:55.
Old 4th January 2014, 13:20   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
That's an excellent tip Added_flavor. I believe you were riding your duke . I shall be riding my Duke 390 from Goa to Mangalore this coming monday and then from Mangalore to Bangalore on tuesday afternoon (probably. If I finish my engagements in time). I am thinking of taking the Mangalore-BC Road / Bantwal-Belthangady-Ujire-Charmadi-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore route.

But I read in this thread that Shiradi ghat is also getting repaired and ridable and for a Motorcycle I presume the potholes should not matter as much as a 4 wheeler. So I am thinking the best option of the two routes.
Yes Sir I was. I was on a 1200 Kilometre solo ride

Yes the potholes are not much of an issue if they are only for a stretch or two, however I was conscious about the soft tyres and fragile alloys as many have reportedly broken them in the infamous Bangalore roads. Anyway no punctures or any other issues throughout the ride!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 04:23   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Udupi, it is not a smooth ride till Surathkal. As is, it is an abandoned construction zone. There are many single lane stretches with uneven surface. Now that the construction had resumed near Kundapur, we can forget about any existing roads ever getting new layer of asphalt.

I guess this stretch will be frustrating for long distance drivers during day time, due to heavy traffic.

I started from Mangalore at 4 AM to Goa and I kept chanting "patience patience" mantra till Kundapur to control my blood pressure.
Old 5th January 2014, 07:32   #4928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
From Udupi, it is not a smooth ride till Surathkal. As is, it is an abandoned construction zone. There are many single lane stretches with uneven surface. Now that the construction had resumed near Kundapur, we can forget about any existing roads ever getting new layer of asphalt.
Guys my question was with respect to Shiradi. Since the earlier post mentioned about the route via Udupi-Mangalore is good, I wanted to know, if that is better compared to Karakala option. Because distance wise both are same.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:35   #4929
BHPian

Quote:
Ampere,I would stick my neck and still say that the route via Mlore-BC Road is a better one. I had travelled via the Karkala/Bajagolia route almost an year ago.While the roads are decent,i do find them less wider.Not sure about the current condition of that stretch.
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:43   #4930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere,I would stick my neck and still say that the route via Mlore-BC Road is a better one. I had travelled via the Karkala/Bajagolia route almost an year ago.While the roads are decent,i do find them less wider.Not sure about the current condition of that stretch.
Thanks for the udpate.

I was asking this because last month even I was on the Karkala-Udupi road. It was patched up, and I was quite OK with. Hence I wanted to know the scenario on Mangalore-BC road. I dont know how is the scenario from Bajagoli-Nellyadi. May be Samurai-san would update the same in some time.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:11   #4931
Team-BHP Support

I did Manipal-Karkala-Ujire-Shiradi-Hassan-Bangalore drive yesterday.

Between Manipal-Ujire, about 3-4kms around Aladangady is pretty bad.

Between Dharmasthala-Kokkada, about 5-6Kms is often pretty bad.

The NH-48 is patched all the way to Gundya, but the patchwork is quite rough. It was a breeze in GV, but I could see sedans/hatches going slow on it.

Shiradi is only half patched, that means nightmare still exists. It looks like it will be fully patched up by republic day weekend.

I am still wondering what will happen to that 94 crore fund. Surely, it isn't going towards fixing the road so far.

BTW, there was some kind of trouble at Mayura yesterday. A bunch of 25-30 patrons who came as group had a tiff with the restaurant. They blocked the gate, and allowed only the existing guests to leave and allowed no new guests to enter. So I got out, don't know what happened later.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:52   #4932
BHPian

Samurai,How long was the drive? During my drive last week,i noticed repair work on the ghats at multiple stretches.Are they progressing?
Old 6th January 2014, 16:13   #4933
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai,How long was the drive? During my drive last week,i noticed repair work on the ghats at multiple stretches.Are they progressing?
I was with family, so I was asked to slow down or stop multiple times, including tea/coffee powder at Kadumane Shop. So, I had to give up on timing the Shiradi stretch.

BTW, my wife used to be a big Kalmane Coffee fan. She used to drink that whenever we visit any mall. However, after tasting the coffee made by the fresh coffee powder from Kadumane shop, Kalmane has lost a loyal customer. Kalmane coffee cup used to cost her 65 bucks. The Kadumane coffee which she finds much better costs 150 bucks per Kg. And their tea costs 120 bucks per Kg.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th January 2014 at 16:15.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 02:27   #4934
BHPian

So I travelled to Mangalore over the weekend and took the Shiradi Ghats. For the most part, it is half decent - but where it was not, it was really really bad! I did the drive in a stock i20, and managed to clear the Ghat section in just about 1 hour - of which a good 10-15min was spent well under 15km/h, maneuvering through a sorry excuse for a road. Not to mention shoddy patch work.

The whole trip took me 5h 40m - started from HSR Layout at 2:41AM and reached Mangalore at 8:21AM. This was with a 30min stop at Coffee Day in Channaraypatna.

Ultimately, if you don't have any time constraints, I suggest Charmadi. Its a much better option. For what its worth, pictures attached! (taken on my way back)
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-v3ft.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-lkk8.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-69d9.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dwbj.jpg  

lyneld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 22:15   #4935
Senior - BHPian

Today's TOI says they wouldn't be allowing HCVs on the Shiradi which will be routed through Charmadi instead till the roads are repaired. Narrow roads and steep curves will only mean we should be prepared for jams due to breakdowns or accidents on the Charmadi road. I don't understand on how will B9Rs do the Charmadi turns

They used to say the same thing in 2007 -2008 when the entire 30 kms stretch on the Shiradi ghat was nothing but huge rocks ,boulders and huge potholes that could swallow half of small hatchbacks. One such trip cost me 35K INR due to a cracked cross members and damaged lower arms. Even though it was "blocked" for "all" traffic , one could easily bribe their way through the check posts erected. Those days even Charmadi was in not great shape.

Most Viewed