Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 12:26   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

I ride a 220, Im used to similar riding conditions/timings.
IMHO, Blore-Madikeri is about 230 and which can be easily covered in 3 hours as the road surface is superb all the way till Kushalnagar. Post Madikeri I've never been so I'd left the rest 190 odd kms to be covered in 5 hours, which I guess would be a pretty decent time.
You got be joking while covering 230kms from Bangalore - Madikeri in a Pulsar 220, That's really a risky affair. Bangalore -Mysore a distance of 140kms , takes time of nearly 2 hrs.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:45   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I Agree. Blore-kushal nagar road is excellent+on 220, well you can surely do it

Kushal Nagar to Madikeri distance is less but roads are narrow and bad(but on a bike you dont have to worry about potholes isnt it) as you have just two sets of wheels which can find their way

From Madikeri-sampaje, patch work was going on when i travelled in Jan again above logic applies here. From sampaje its winding roads but in good condition all the way till udupi but you can expect traffic here.

I took around 9hrs to udupi on my swift but this is with infant on board and multiple breaks totalling around 1-1:30 hrs but then i had started at 4:30 AM in the morning to beat the traffic on mysore road
Thanks for the info about the Madikeri - Sampaje stretch!

I plan to start a bit earlier, maybe around 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
You got be joking while covering 230kms from Bangalore - Madikeri in a Pulsar 220, That's really a risky affair. Bangalore -Mysore a distance of 140kms , takes time of nearly 2 hrs.
I'd be covering the Bangalore-Mysore stretch in the wee hours of the morning, there is zilch traffic then!

Last edited by Samurai : 25th March 2009 at 15:08. Reason: avoid the rude comments
Old 25th March 2009, 15:07   #483
Team-BHP Support

Cool it guys.

sushrutha: Praful has explained it was done in early morning when there is no traffic.

Praful: Sushrutha's has regularly provided route info on this thread forever, you can't question his contribution.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th March 2009 at 15:10.
Old 25th March 2009, 21:09   #484
BHPian

I have a few questions for my three day trip blr- kuke- madikeri- mysore-blr end of april.
I'm thinking stays @ madikeri and mysore.
What would be the time taken between
kushalnagar-Madikeri?
and kuke-Madikeri ?
also route (towns, villages to look for) between madikeri and kuke?
is it a difficult ghat section (some thing like ooty) or is it more like thirupathi ghats?

Bangalore-sakleshpur - 274 km
Sakleshpur-shiradi - 40 km
Bangalore- Mysore 140 KM
Mysore - hunsur - kushalnagar- Madikeri -90 KM

What's the distance between
Shiradi - dharmastala
Shiradi-kuke -?
kuke -Madikeri -?

Is starting like @ 5:00 AM in blr, visiting both dharmasthala and kuke and reach madikeri by 7:00 PM same day fairly possible or would it take more time than that.?
Old 26th March 2009, 09:47   #485
BHPian

Shiradi challenge.. challenge it is.

Okie Guys.

I took the shiradi challenge y'day, i.e 25th. I left at 5 in the morning, from JP Nagar and could make it to pumpwell circle by 12 mid noon.

Now about the roads, shiradi can be done only in daytime for cars. Lots of craters, resembles surface on the moon. But, did see some work going on from gundya side. So going on they might fill up the crater's (can't call this potholes), but as you all know this would be a temporary affair, max might last some months.

So, shiradi as someone said down, can only be done in daytime for cars.
I say this coz, most of the good roads end with a big step onto the bad roads, and one need to slowly move the vehicle down this step. I did see many a state transport buses, mostly the non - luxury categories, scorpios and some indica's.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by JMaruru : 26th March 2009 at 09:50. Reason: spacing
Old 26th March 2009, 09:52   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Okie Guys.

I took the shiradi challenge y'day, i.e 25th. I left at 5 in the morning, from JP Nagar and could make it to pumpwell circle by 12 mid noon.

Now about the roads, shiradi can be done only in daytime for cars. Lots of craters, resembles surface on the moon. But, did see some work going on from gundya side. So going on they might fill up the crater's (can't call this potholes), but as you all know this would be a temporary affair, max might last some months.

So, shiradi as someone said down, can only be done in daytime for cars.
I say this coz, most of the good roads end with a big step onto the bad roads, and one need to slowly move the vehicle down this step.
I did see many a state transport buses, mostly the non - luxury categories, scorpios and some indica's.

Hope this helps!
What is the length of this bad road stretch? How long did it take for u to cover it in your car? I ask because Praful is leaving for MLR tmrw, so am I and so is a friend of mine, all on bikes.

I am riding directly to MLR, but my friend is riding up to Udupi. So it would help to know.

Prajwal
Old 26th March 2009, 10:13   #487
BHPian

steps on shiradi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
What is the length of this bad road stretch? How long did it take for u to cover it in your car? I ask because Praful is leaving for MLR tmrw, so am I and so is a friend of mine, all on bikes.

I am riding directly to MLR, but my friend is riding up to Udupi. So it would help to know.

Prajwal
Prajwal,

I took almost an hour and half for the shiradi stretch (maranahally checkpost to gundya checkpost). I feel on bikes, you can circumvent the problem areas. The difficulty is with the four wheelers, as we have to find better/ok areas for all our wheels. It was difficult even in an alto. Watch yourself on the steep steps from OK/better roads onto the bad roads.

So there you go...
Old 26th March 2009, 10:44   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Bangalore-sakleshpur - 274 km
The distance between BNG -SKP is around 225kms not 274kms.
Quote:
Is starting like @ 5:00 AM in blr, visiting both dharmasthala and kuke and reach madikeri by 7:00 PM same day fairly possible or would it take more time than that.?
You should be able to reach Madikeri by 7-8pm, If you start by 5AM from bangalore & visit both kukke, Dharmasthala. But the time taken for darshana at dharmasthala depends on how big the crowd is, coz now it's almost holiday time for school kids.(sometimes it takes 2hrs in the queue - particularly during Shabharimala time)
Old 26th March 2009, 10:50   #489
Senior - BHPian

Prajwal, am not sure on which bike you riding but i had no issues gliding through the horrible patches on my bull,, this is when the road was way horrible!

Only thing you need to be careful is if you have a disc brake, just be ver easy...

And also wear a mask loads of dust

Quote:

Prajwal
Old 26th March 2009, 11:25   #490
Senior - BHPian

JMaruru, What abt the traffic on this route, esp those mining trucks ? has recession affected them in anyway ? bad roads coupled with heavy traffic is a pain that too with Charmadi closed. Did you observe any heavy traffic ?

I am now planning to take this route till the diversion for dharmastala(comes after gundya right?) and hoping this stretch of the road is fine(via belthangadi-karkal-udupi) if anyone has taken them recently plz update as i last took it in october and it was excellent with hardly few km of bad stretches
Old 26th March 2009, 11:35   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Prajwal
Prajwal, I'd suggest you to try the Madikeri route. It would atleast be in a better of state than Shiradi. And its not longer by much!

Else you can take a long scenic route thru Kudremukh if you're not hard pressed for time!
Old 26th March 2009, 11:39   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The distance between BNG -SKP is around 225kms not 274kms.

You should be able to reach Madikeri by 7-8pm, If you start by 5AM from bangalore & visit both kukke, Dharmasthala. But the time taken for darshana at dharmasthala depends on how big the crowd is, coz now it's almost holiday time for school kids.(sometimes it takes 2hrs in the queue - particularly during Shabharimala time)
Thanks Sushrutha. I'll probably skip Dharmastala then.
From Kuke what is the route to take to Madikeri. Do I need to go to sulya to reach madikeri or is there a shorter route.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:40   #493
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, the road condition is much better then waht it was a year back so it is doable, only that in this stretch you will need to be easy..

neliady to the diversion to Dharmasthal it would be much better though you will see some bad patches...

From the diversion it is good...

Quote:
JMaruru, What abt the traffic on this route, esp those mining trucks ? has recession affected them in anyway ? bad roads coupled with heavy traffic is a pain that too with Charmadi closed. Did you observe any heavy traffic ?

I am now planning to take this route till the diversion for dharmastala(comes after gundya right?) and hoping this stretch of the road is fine(via belthangadi-karkal-udupi) if anyone has taken them recently plz update as i last took it in october and it was excellent with hardly few km of bad stretches
Old 26th March 2009, 11:44   #494
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys..this is inspiring me to rev up my engine(car!!) a week in advance...lol
Old 26th March 2009, 11:47   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys..this is inspiring me to rev up my engine(car!!) a week in advance...lol
raj, sad part you can rev in shiradi

When you leaving to Udupi? and how many days you will be there?

I will be starting to Goa on April 4th and will be coming to Mlore from there. still my plans are not clear.

Guess we can meet up somewhere if possible

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks