Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 11:47   #5071
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I will be driving tonight . Are there signboards warning you of these speedbreakers?
Alright. so it seems am not the only one to drive post sunset!, hehe.

Yes, look towards the left side of the road. There are sign posts, but quite close to the speedbreakers. Not expected for highways, where it would be nice to have them atleast > 50m, for timely braking.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:42   #5072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Alright. so it seems am not the only one to drive post sunset!, hehe.

Yes, look towards the left side of the road. There are sign posts, but quite close to the speedbreakers. Not expected for highways, where it would be nice to have them atleast > 50m, for timely braking.
Just back from Mangalore . Managed under 6 hours on both ways with a 30 mins pit stop at Kamath , Channrayapatna.

Started at 3 am while going to Mangalore and reached Mangalore at 845 am , while on the return leg we started at 2 pm and reached here at 8 pm .

As someone else mentioned earlier , idiots trying to jump the queue at the toll booths are a big nuisance . We were stuck for close to 20 mins at one of them because of some " galata" by locals . Found out later that some locals wanted to get through without paying toll.

The speedbreakers on Hassan bypass and just around Hassan town come up suddenly , but one can easily pass through them .

About the ghat , saw a couple of accidents where tempo travellers and a tourist car had gone over the curves , but luckily into the mountain side. Clearly a case of overspeeding.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:16   #5073
BHPian

Had been on a bike ride last weekend. Those speed breakers are not bone crushing. Acceptable on a highway given the junctions.
Too many villagers have broken the medians at will and hence the surprise elements are too much!! I was scared on a couple of occasions when people zoomed in without bothering to look left or right.. Even the tractors were doing it.. Scary!!
Old 28th March 2014, 07:32   #5074
BHPian

I will be traveling to Shimoga tomorrow morning from Bangalore via Chitradurga and Channagiri.

1. Do I need to go to Bhadravati and take Bangalore - Honnavar road?

2. Plan to travel to Agumbe and Kundapura/Maravanthe on 30th. What will be the route I should take? Do I need to reach Udupi to go to Kundapura? Never seen anyone mention Agumbe - Kundapura highway. Is the route not good?

3. Please suggest places to visit around Shimoga and Agumbe. I will be traveling with my 9 year old kid. Kundapur/Maravanthe got added to the list as the kid wanted to go "where there is water" and I expect all water spots around Agumbe to be dry.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 08:03   #5075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
2. Plan to travel to Agumbe and Kundapura/Maravanthe on 30th. What will be the route I should take? Do I need to reach Udupi to go to Kundapura? Never seen anyone mention Agumbe - Kundapura highway. Is the route not good?
You can take right turn at Someshwara towards Kundapura after getting down the Agumbe ghat.

Quote:
I will be traveling with my 9 year old kid. Kundapur/Maravanthe got added to the list as the kid wanted to go "where there is water" and I expect all water spots around Agumbe to be dry.
Maravanthe is overrated to the hilt. If you want to experience having water on both sides, try this diversion from NH-17 near Udupi. This is one of the local secrets which outsiders seldom know. You can get out anywhere and visit totally deserted beaches.

http://goo.gl/maps/dns3p
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 08:57   #5076
Team-BHP Support

Samurai-san has answered all questions already.

Quote:
1. Do I need to go to Bhadravati and take Bangalore - Honnavar road?
No. You can directly come down to Shimoga

Quote:
As Samurai mentioned, beyond Shimoga take the NH13 to Tirthahalli. Its about 60km. Its here you need to Fork out to Agumbe. Get down the ghats and you land up in Someshwar. The roads till Agumbe are fantastic. And take the Kundapur road at Someshwar.

Quote:
3. Please suggest places to visit around Shimoga and Agumbe. I will be traveling with my 9 year old kid. Kundapur/Maravanthe got added to the list as the kid wanted to go "where there is water" and I expect all water spots around Agumbe to be dry.
There is an Elephant camp, Mandagadde bird sanctuary and Gajnur dam. All of these are on NH13 along the Shimoga Tirthahalli road.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th March 2014 at 19:09. Reason: fixed quote
Old 29th March 2014, 14:36   #5077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just back from Mangalore . Managed under 6 hours on both ways
Hi Satya - did you drive Hasan > Sakleshpur > Shiradi > Mangalore? What is the condition of roads on the ghats? planning to drive there in a couple of weeks and hence any feedback will help
Old 29th March 2014, 14:46   #5078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hi Satya - did you drive Hasan > Sakleshpur > Shiradi > Mangalore? What is the condition of roads on the ghats? planning to drive there in a couple of weeks and hence any feedback will help
Shiradi is at it's best now. Apart from few rough patches after gundya, rest of the road is smooth. Just do it!
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 15:02   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Yep. Via Hassan and Sakleshpur it was. Ghats are in good condition. For now, I don't think we might have anything to report on road conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 31st March 2014, 09:08   #5080
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive Bangalore > Jog Falls > Udupi > Mangalore > Bangalore. Reason for this is my stay is planned at Byndoor, which is 20KM from Bhatkal and 120KM from Mangalore. Is This the best route to Byndoor? or am i better off driving Bangalore > Mangalore > Udupi >Byndoor > Mangalore > Bangalore
Old 1st April 2014, 22:24   #5081
Team-BHP Support

Jog Falls in April? Are you visiting family there? In that case, it looks like the best route.
Old 1st April 2014, 23:23   #5082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Maravanthe is overrated to the hilt. If you want to experience having water on both sides, try this diversion from NH-17 near Udupi. This is one of the local secrets which outsiders seldom know. You can get out anywhere and visit totally deserted beaches.
Thanks a lot for mentioning the excellent location. My son was extremely happy. It was a nice experience watching a river join the sea (The fisherman, when asked, mentioned the river as Sita whereas Google mentions it as Swarna).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

No. You can directly come down to Shimoga

There is an Elephant camp, Mandagadde bird sanctuary and Gajnur dam. All of these are on NH13 along the Shimoga Tirthahalli road.
Thanks for the route and the tourist spots.

I took Chitradurga route both to and fro. Went to Gajnur dam. Did not go to bird sanctuary as the guards at the dam site mentioned that there are no birds now after construction activity across the river further down. Went to Elephant camp and Lion Safari at Tyavarekoppa.

The roads from Thirthahalli to Shimoga, which are getting repaired, are excellent.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:33   #5083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was a nice experience watching a river join the sea (The fisherman, when asked, mentioned the river as Sita whereas Google mentions it as Swarna).
If you notice carefully, you will see two rivers joining the sea at this point. Sita from the north and Swarna from the south.

Anyway, I traveled back to Manipal today. And now, for the first time in the history of this thread, I have a full video update of Shiradi Ghat.

The entire 37kms stretch done in 37 minutes. You can see the quality of the patch or repair work at any point you like in 720p clarity.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd April 2014 at 07:23.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:24   #5084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have a full video update of Shiradi Ghat[/b].

The entire 37kms stretch done in 37 minutes.

Thanks a lot Samurai, for the video.

The government bus overtaking and threading the needle between the lorry and the oncoming car (at the 33rd minute of the video) looks pretty risky on the cam !

Perils of a single lane "National Highway"
Old 6th April 2014, 17:13   #5085

Shiradi ghat is blocked due to a tanker accident and gas leaking from its valve, near Donigal. Lighter vehicles are traveling via kadamane estate diversion while our multi axle Volvo is going back to Gundya (we are traveling mlr-blr) and checking with the depot for an alternate route. The fire engine his said it will take until tomorrow evening or even Tuesday to clear it. Vehicles lined up all the way up the ghats.
Avoid it today.

Most Viewed