Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 18:23   #5086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I just came back from Kukke today, yesterday the accident happened and we were stranded on NH after Sakleshpur at 6.00pm. I took the Kodlipet road from Sakleshpur as one tempo driver suggested that there was a diversion after 8km which would connect us to NH again. I took that route to realise later there was no other way to Kukke other than Bisile Ghat. The roads were Ok upto Kyanhalli, later it started to deteriorate till Bisile Ghat check post. I reached the check post at 7.20pm. The forest guard advised us not take the ghat road as it was not safe although I was not in a position to come back without visiting Kukke. A short while later a young couple with a small child and their parents joined us, the driver asked me to drive slowly so that he could follow us. I left everything to the god and started driving down Bisile ghat. I did not need much time to understand how dangerous it was to drive in the night, around many curves I could see there was a deep valley to the left and carefully drove around right side and finally made exit at 8.40pm. The road from there onwards were good upto Kukke and really felt like achieving something when I saw the couple thanking me. I am grateful to my Rapid which ensured a safe drive through out the trip. Vehicles coming towards Hassan are being diverted through Anemahal to Sakleshpur but the entire stretch of road is muddy and worst than Bisile ghat. I advise fellow bhpians to wait till the traffic is cleared and then travel towards Mangalore. None of the available options are safe.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 18:35   #5087
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on negotiating Bisle Ghat at night. Very dangerous thing to do at night since there is no traffic at all, no light other than your own, and elephants prowl the road.

I have never attempted it night, even though I have travelled it many times.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 21:36   #5088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The forest guard advised us not take the ghat road as it was not safe although I was not in a position to come back without visiting Kukke.
I really have to appreciate you for three reasons:

1. Courage to take Bisle ghat at that point of time.
2. Covered that ghat in 1 hour 20 minutes.
3. Drove a low slung sedan like Rapid in that ghat.

I just shared this thread link with my cousin who lives very near to Kukke and asked him to read your post. He was . He said locals these days think twice to venture out after dark hours due to the increase in elephant and other wild animals attacks in Kukke and surrounding areas like Sullia. Bisle ghat is highly infested with elephants and its common to spot fresh elephant dung at daytime. One of my relative who stays near Kukke was chased by an elephant at 4 am and he was lucky to come out alive of that incident. I'm not trying to instill fear in your mind but just telling the facts so that you can be extra cautious next time. If you encounter such a situation anytime, please take the well known roads like Madikeri or Charmadi ghat to reach Kukke/Mangalore.

Quote:
I took the Kodlipet road from Sakleshpur as one tempo driver suggested that there was a diversion after 8km which would connect us to NH again. I took that route to realise later there was no other way to Kukke other than Bisile Ghat.
There is a decent road just before Bisle ghat which takes you to Madikeri through Somawarapete. One needs to take a left few km before the ghat but its really difficult to find that left turn at night as there is absolutely no signboard or any human activity near that turn.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 6th April 2014 at 21:49.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 07:14   #5089
Senior - BHPian

I have uploaded few videos of night drive on this link.

deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 07:25   #5090
BHPian

I am on my way to blore @ swathi delicacy. Started from mlore at 11pm. I was stopped at Gundya checkpost and was told that the ghat is blocked. There were a couple of guys around who told that they could allow us to pass if I was willing to bribe the police guarding the checkpost. I just thought for a moment and decided to go back via Dharmasthala, ujire, charmady.
There was heavy oncoming traffic in charmady. Specially the buses. Followed by heavy fog.
Anyone travelling blore-mlore just confirm the situation and decide on the route.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:08   #5091
BHPian

Hi! I will be travelling to Udupi from Chennai during the end of April. I will be leaving Chennai at 3 a.m. and this is will be non-stop drive save for break fast and lunch and for stretching legs. Since I have not done road trip beyond Bangalore NICE road (to go to Wayanad), I would request members to suggest options on routes, eateries, and other tips. Wife and self will be travelling and it will be a self driven car trip. Though wife knows and does drive cars, I will only be doing the entire stretch and car intended to be driven is an Alto. Heard all horror stories about Sakleshpur route and am thinking twice before taking this route. Since I needed to go Udupi directly, can members please advice on the route to be taken?
Old 7th April 2014, 11:16   #5092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Heard all horror stories about Sakleshpur route and am thinking twice before taking this route. Since I needed to go Udupi directly, can members please advice on the route to be taken?
The nightmare only starts in July. Until then it is fine. Look for the entire video of the nightmare stretch in the previous page.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:39   #5093
Senior - BHPian

I did the Nelamangala - Hassan stretch after a gap of almost 4 years and I was blown away by the change from single lane to median separated 4 lanes

I am amazed at the reduction in travel time to/from Mangalore now and also that Shiradi is nicely patched up (at least for now) it helps bring down travel time, on my return ride from Mangalore took me 4 hours of riding plus some 40 minutes of breaks to reach Nelamangala with a 9AM start.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:45   #5094
Team-BHP Support

I was talking to a prominent Mangalore citizen recently. He said some Japanese vendor for the Shiradi tunnel demonstrated complete ROI within 2 years by way of tolls.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 11:59   #5095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The nightmare only starts in July. Until then it is fine. Look for the entire video of the nightmare stretch in the previous page.
I was sincerely hoping that Samurai, being a stalwart from South Canara, would be answering my query and there I am, blessed with his comment. Thanks a Ton for your Video. I had done this stretch way back in late 90's and early 2000 by bus, and to call the experience, just Nightmare would be an insult to this ghat section. On every alternate trip, I had to face up traffic snarls invariably due to oil tankers doing a turtle stunt on the road. And I feel, after going through the thread, that the situation has not changed a bit for better. Are there any alternative route as I don't mind adding few more KMs to my ODO for the sake of pleasurable driving experience!

And forgot to add my return trip details. I would like to go to Coimbatore from Udupi on my return. Suggestions are sincerely appreciated for this leg too.

Other than the intended purpose of visit, my itinerary includes a plate full of Goli Bajey at Mitra Samaj. And last but not the least, would like to meet 'The Samurai', when I am there in Udupi.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:11   #5096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And forgot to add my return trip details. I would like to go to Coimbatore from Udupi on my return. Suggestions are sincerely appreciated for this leg too.
There are two ways:

- The shorter distance is via Calicut (Nh17), Malappuram/Perinthalmanna/Palakkad (213) and CBE.
- The traffic can be quite bad on these stretches. Do confirm with regulars on KL roads.

A slightly longer option:

Udupi-Karkala-Hassan-Holenarasipur-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-CBE. Roads would be much more open on these stretches.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 12:27   #5097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two ways:

- The shorter distance is via Calicut (Nh17), Malappuram/Perinthalmanna/Palakkad (213) and CBE.
- The traffic can be quite bad on these stretches. Do confirm with regulars on KL roads.

A slightly longer option:

Udupi-Karkala-Hassan-Holenarasipur-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-CBE. Roads would be much more open on these stretches.
Thank you ampere for the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate your eye for details and route updates. If I were to do calicut, is it advisable to take Gudalur-Ooty-Mettupalayam as I will be required to go to North Coimbatore, around 25 km from Mettupalayam? But return is time bound as I will be starting only in the after noon from Udupi! I am open to doing long drive during night too provided roads are safe for driving and the occupants!
Old 7th April 2014, 12:36   #5098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you ampere for the suggestion. I sincerely appreciate your eye for details and route updates. If I were to do calicut, is it advisable to take Gudalur-Ooty-Mettupalayam as I will be required to go to North Coimbatore, around 25 km from Mettupalayam? But return is time bound as I will be starting only in the after noon from Udupi! I am open to doing long drive during night too provided roads are safe for driving and the occupants!
That would actually take more time. Bad roads around Gudalur and add to it the time to cross Ooty/Conoor. I would say let KL regulars (Kala?) answer on NH17/213, if it is good to go. Take that as the first route. Else Hassan/Mysore/Chamarajanagar/Dimbam/Sathy.

That would also lead you to North CBE. You can also do Sathyy/Annur/Karamadai depending on where in north CBE you need to be.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 15:33   #5099
BHPian

deehunk> Really it's great. That too travelling in night thru' unknown dangerous stretch. Hope your Rapid didn't scrape. When Shiradi was at its worst, I thought of taking Bisle, but mine too Rapid & didn't take the risk of taking Bisle, after reading here.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:30   #5100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And I feel, after going through the thread, that the situation has not changed a bit for better. Are there any alternative route as I don't mind adding few more KMs to my ODO for the sake of pleasurable driving experience!
You can join Tumkur road from NICE road and enjoy 4 lane highway until Hassan. After that you have 3 choices, Shiradi or Charmadi or Agumbe. Shiradi is the best choice until June.

Quote:
And last but not the least, would like to meet 'The Samurai', when I am there in Udupi.
Well, my Dashan timings may coincide with your visit if it is at end of April.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks