Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 13:24   #5311
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Last time I visited Kudremukh, July 2013, we were given a passage time of 1:30 by forest department to pass Kudremukh. We overshot that time and had to pay fine. Is there a way to extend this time at the entrance itself? I just want to do photography of the mountain range. Within 1:30, getting good photographs is not possible.
When I went in december I dont remember any time related constraint being provided by the authorities. Not sure if there is anything like that for the night.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:40   #5312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys had a question on Kudremukh. I know this is probably not the right thread to post a question on Kudremukh, but the folks among you active on this thread definitely have the information I need

Last time I visited Kudremukh, July 2013, we were given a passage time of 1:30 by forest department to pass Kudremukh. We overshot that time and had to pay fine. Is there a way to extend this time at the entrance itself? I just want to do photography of the mountain range. Within 1:30, getting good photographs is not possible.

Thanks in advance!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When I went in december I dont remember any time related constraint being provided by the authorities. Not sure if there is anything like that for the night.
Neither did I have any constraint when I drove just 2 weeks before. They just gave me a pass with the Vehicle Registration number written and the part of that was retained at the exit gate near SK Border.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:19   #5313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Neither did I have any constraint when I drove just 2 weeks before. They just gave me a pass with the Vehicle Registration number written and the part of that was retained at the exit gate near SK Border.
Thanks!

You folks are lucky! I would have loved to spend more time in the ghats as well .
See this quote from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Park Entry :

Karnataka State Highway 66 and National Highway 13 are the main thoroughfares through the park, the former being more scenic of the two. The park has 3 entry exit points, and passage between entry and exit is strictly time-controlled, unless you have prior permission or tickets to visit Hanumangundi waterfalls. The average time given for passage through the park is 1.5 hours, and no fees are charged for passage.
The above quoted thread has good amount of information but no information on how to get more time.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:42   #5314
BHPian

Quote:
Last time I visited Kudremukh, July 2013, we were given a passage time of 1:30 by forest department to pass Kudremukh. We overshot that time and had to pay fine. Is there a way to extend this time at the entrance itself? I just want to do photography of the mountain range.
The 90 minute passage time has always been there for quite sometime now, its written on the fine print in the pass given at the entry gate.

What i have done in the past is, taken the ticket, reported in the office in the semi abandoned town, roamed around and then go back to the office get another pass, drive back to the gate and exit.

I had driven through 2 months back, and there are a whole lot of new fences where people would often stop, and more sign boards saying no stoppage, heard rumors that this is because of some increase in unwanted elements.

So i don't really know if you can get into the mountains for photography.

For trekking they give you a permit and a guide, maybe you can try doing it that way.
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 09:51   #5315
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
It's from October onwards and 7 months. From today's TOI
Seems like a change in dates, they're planning for Dec 2014 to May 2015 closure of Shiradi Ghat road.
Five alternate routes to Bangalore identified are:
Charmady route, Madikeri-Mysore route, Brahmavar-Siddapur-Hulikal- Shimoga route, Mangalore-Karkala-Chikmagalore route and Agumbe-N R Pura- Tarikere route (only light vehicles are allowed on the Agumbe route).

Link

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 26 July 2014

Last edited by NPV : 26th July 2014 at 09:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 11:00   #5316
BHPian

Given the heavy rains over the last few weeks, any updates on the Mudigere - Kalasa - Horanadu road ? I am planning a quick visit to the temple tomorrow with my family and hence....
Old 27th July 2014, 21:21   #5317
Senior - BHPian

This question is not really related to Bangalore - Mangalore route, but posting here hoping that I will find people with right knowledge.

I am travelling from Bangalore to Kannur to Kollur to Bangalore

1. Kannur to Kollur - Planning for a 7 AM start on a saturday. How much time should I plan? Any bad stretches? Any tips to bypass Mangalore? Where should I turn from NH 17, Kundapura or Baindur?

2, Kollur to Bangalore - When I drove to Kollur 18 months back, the Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara section was pathetic. How is the condition now? Is the Shimoga -Thirthahalli - Siddapura route better ?
Old 27th July 2014, 22:17   #5318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
This question is not really related to Bangalore - Mangalore route, but posting here hoping that I will find people with right knowledge.

I am travelling from Bangalore to Kannur to Kollur to Bangalore

1. Kannur to Kollur - Planning for a 7 AM start on a saturday. How much time should I plan? Any bad stretches? Any tips to bypass Mangalore? Where should I turn from NH 17, Kundapura or Baindur?

2, Kollur to Bangalore - When I drove to Kollur 18 months back, the Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara section was pathetic. How is the condition now? Is the Shimoga -Thirthahalli - Siddapura route better ?
Let me try to answer the first question with the experience of a trip done 2-3years back. You may required to plan for 5-6hours including break. Try to take the NH17 itself and do not try to take the route via Kanhangad town - Bekal. I haven't traveled in recent past so not able to commend on the condition.

You have to touch the pumpwell circle @ Mangalore and I don't know if there is any easy route to bypass this. Taking Byndore turn is good as its very scenic. Samurai Saan may be able to tell you the current condition on the road.
Old 27th July 2014, 22:31   #5319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Better stick to this. Try Thallur turn.

Meanwhile, I drove the Shiradi today. It is still holding up. Here is the entire Shiradi covered in 5+ minutes.

Watch in HD to see the potholes clearly.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th July 2014 at 22:38.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 23:06   #5320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if there are ways to bypass Mangalore. Beyond Mangalore its 4-lane road (with diversions) till Kundapur. Turn to Agumbe road at Kudapur. Drive till Ampar where you turn to Vandse and there on to Kolliur.

Quote:
Siddapura?

Kollur-Vandse-Ampar-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga.

From Shimoga you can either do Chitradurga-Bangalore (via the 4 lane) or Bhadrawathi-Tarekere-Arsikere-Tumkur-Bangalore (via NH206).
Old 27th July 2014, 23:41   #5321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Better stick to this. Try Thallur turn.

Do you mind explainig a bit more?

Here is the entire Shiradi covered in 5+ minutes.

I felt like I am in the passenger seat of a race car

Quote:
Siddapura?
I guess Siddapura comes in between Ampar and Nagara. Last time I returned via Agumbe - Sringeri - Chikmaglur - Hassan - Bangalore.
Coming via Hassan or Shimoga; which one is better?
Old 28th July 2014, 00:09   #5322
Team-BHP Support

I meant take the Kundapura-Tallur-Kollur road.
Old 28th July 2014, 07:27   #5323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Beyond Mangalore its 4-lane road (with diversions) till Kundapur. Turn to Agumbe road at Kundapur. Drive till Ampar where you turn to Vandse and there on to Kolliur.
Quote:
I guess Siddapura comes in between Ampar and Nagara. Last time I returned via Agumbe - Sringeri - Chikmaglur - Hassan - Bangalore. Coming via Hassan or Shimoga; which one is better?
Arijith, Please note the exit route I suggested to Kollur from Kundapur is different than what Samurai suggested. My option is the longer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I meant take the Kundapura-Tallur-Kollur road.
How is the Thallur route? I see one hotel "Jewel Park" just after the exit on Google. Looks like that used as a Marker. Last time, I went through the Agumbe road and then exited at Ampar for Vandse. Road was quite decent. They were re-laying some portions of the road before Ampar. May be about 2-4 km of gravel. That must have been fixed by now. Ampar-Vandse was good then, but narrow. Beyond Vandse the road was superb till Kollur. The other option was Hemmadi exit and that was horrible as per reports then. The Tallur option was not discussed then and hence I was not aware of its existence.

Last edited by ampere : 28th July 2014 at 07:29.
Old 28th July 2014, 23:18   #5324
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I am planning to visit Dharmastala and Kukke this weekend, need help on the road condition and the route. I stay in Nagarabhavi and will be starting early morning on Friday (Aug1). Will reach Dharmastala first and plan to reach Kukke by friday evening , visit Kukke on saturday morning and leave to Mysore on saturday itself and will be driving a ford fiesta diesel. Am not sure on the current road condition since it has been raining these days and I have never been to these places before.

Help needed on the below routes which are easier and less risky :

Blore to Dharmastala
Dharmastala to Kukke
Kukke to Mysore
Old 29th July 2014, 10:00   #5325
BANNED

Last Saturday I drove to Udupi via Shiradi .Still road is in good condition ,not damaged much ,may be because of less rain .Started 2 PM from Banaswadi reached Karkala at 9.30PM .
Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I am planning to visit Dharmastala and Kukke this weekend, need help on the road condition and the route. I stay in Nagarabhavi and will be starting early morning on Friday (Aug1). Will reach Dharmastala first and plan to reach Kukke by friday evening , visit Kukke on saturday morning and leave to Mysore on saturday itself and will be driving a ford fiesta diesel. Am not sure on the current road condition since it has been raining these days and I have never been to these places before.

Help needed on the below routes which are easier and less risky :

Blore to Dharmastala
Dharmastala to Kukke
Kukke to Mysore

Most Viewed