Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 19:18   #5656
BANNED

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Yesterday traveled via Shiradi Ghat ,road is manageable ,now road work may start anytime.There was a big accident before Dharmastala between KSRTC bus and taxi (Tata indigo).Two people died on spot ,car was full damaged.I don't understand why such horrible accidents are happening day time .There was no curve near the accident spot ,it was strait road.
Old 26th December 2014, 19:38   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Update on road condition, Bengalooru to Udupi. This time via Mysooru (To pick up my nephew enroute) and Madikeri and it was a leisure drive.

Drive spread over 2 days.

Day 1: Bengalooru to Mysooru on 24/12/2014
Started from Girinagar at 1630 and reached Surya Bakery in Mysooru at 1930.
I think everyone has enough knowledge on this route. The traffic was thin throughout till Srirangapatna after which there was a steady build up. Speed breakers are still a pain on this stretch and so is Mandya town. Within Mysooru, one observation was everyone who had a headlight was in full on face mode, ie High beam. Very disturbing to drive.

Day 2: Mysooru to Udupi. 25/12/2014

Started from Surya Bakery at 0630 and reached Doddanagudde, Udupi at 1415.
Mysooru to Madikeri: Good 2 lane roads. The road surface seems to be patched but hardly noticeable in terms of bumps/ cabin noise. There are a couple of unmarked speed breakers which are to be looked out for before Piriyapatna. Had a break of an hour with a good breakfast in Madikeri.

Madikeri to Sampaje: Superb downward twisties, enjoyable drive. Has an occasional pothole on this stretch.

Sampaje to Mani: This is where the dreaded roads exist, not so. There are road works going on in a few places where a detour is required. I could easily manage this in my Baleno which is a low GC vehicle. Photos a couple of weeks ago posted in fb showed jams but that was landslide due to rain the previous night. The detours are well managed by people who are at the construction site.

Mani to Bantwal turnoff: Usual buttersmooth roads, but be vary of 2 wheeler riders.

Bantwal turnoff to Manipal: Country roads to enjoy the drive that took us through Moodabidre/ Karkala sector. Roads broad enough for a bus and an auto, it is a memorable drive. Broken stretch which is being asphalted with distance of 15/12/11 kms to Manipal. These stretch compromises of a few meters to a few hundred meters stretches. Need to tread them with caution as they sprung out of nowhere. Had a hearty meal at Manipal and drove down a couple of kms to my sisters place in Doddanagudde.

The roads from Manipal to Udupi are excellent with a narrow bridge on the Konkan rail at one place.
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 19:42   #5658
Senior - BHPian

@Mods: Sorry for the back to back threads. I did not want to post the 2 way through different routes in a single thread, hence the back to back post.

Update on road condition, Udupi to Bengalooru. Done on a bike.

Route taken: Off beat route. Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Kudremukha - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Belur - Hassan - Bengalooru.

Started from Doddanagudde, Udupi 0630 and reached Girinagar at 1430.

Udupi to Karkala: Good 2 lane roads with a few broken stretches in between. Broken stretch which is being asphalted with distance of 11/12/15 kms from Manipal. These stretch compromises of a few meters to a few hundred meters stretches. Need to tread them with caution as they sprung out of nowhere. Went straight through the Karkala town.

Karkala to Kudremukha: Excellent roads with loads of nature to enjoy the drive. At the entrance to the Kudremukha National park, one has to take a reciept which needs to be deposited at the exit. Travel time is 1 hour for 2W, 1.5h hour for a PC. They are quite strict about these timings as I found out at the exitt. If you want to buy time, there is a Hanumakonda dam in between where you can spend a few minutes and produce that entry reciept to the dam at the exit of the national park to buy time. Roads are fantastic throughout but are barely wide to fit 2 cars. Very scarce traffic. I encountered a lorry, a bus and about 6 cars through the hour long ride here. Turnoff are well mentioned with signboards.

Kudremuka to Kottigehara: Again good roads here but a few kms of broken patches appear in a couple of places, Kudremukha, Kalasa Hirebylu, Kelaguru are places where a few broken patches exist.

Kottigehara to Belur: Good roads here too with an occasional broken patch. Within Belur, the roads are bad but manageable. Had brunch at Belur. Only 2 options here, Gayathri Darshan and one opposite to it.

Belur to Hassan: Traffic till the turnoff to the Hassan is bad. People drive as if they own the roads. Once on the SH57, it is a breeze to drive through. But speedbreakers are there before and after every curve and some bigger towns enroute. Lookout for these as they are not marked but signboard are very close to the breakyourcar.

Hassan - Bangalore: Buttersmooth roads. Encountered very scarce traffic on this stretch. Has new food options opening on this route making this route a better than before experience.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 19:09   #5659

I am just back from Udupi and here is an update on the route.
I took the same route for both sides of the journey.
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Ujire - Moodbidri - Karnad - Kaup - Udupi

Roads are good and smooth throughout except inside Belur and some stretches (around one-fourth) of NH17 between Karnad and Udupi.

While returning I started at 8:30 AM from Udupi and reached Bangalore at 5:30 PM. This includes an hour long stop at Hoyasala Village for lunch.
Old 28th December 2014, 21:35   #5660
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Shiradi set to close on Jan 1 2015, hope this is indeed the correct date. As per this report, the Hassan and Dakshina Kannada districts have agreed on this date.
The report also mentions Sampaje and Charmadi road work has been done including widening on Charmadi route. Hope all this is indeed complete and not just a press update
I'd rather rely on first hand accounts from folks here rather than these reports!

Source:New Indian Express, Dec 26 2014 - Link
Old 28th December 2014, 22:11   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Shiradi set to close on Jan 1 2015, hope this is indeed the correct date. As per this report, the Hassan and Dakshina Kannada districts have agreed on this date.
The report also mentions Sampaje and Charmadi road work has been done including widening on Charmadi route. Hope all this is indeed complete and not just a press update
I'd rather rely on first hand accounts from folks here rather than these reports!

Source:New Indian Express, Dec 26 2014 - Link
Charmadi is a bliss to drive. Wide road there is subjective

Shiradi seems decent enough and the fastest route to mangalore .. i wonder what will happen if they repair for six months
Old 29th December 2014, 06:48   #5662
Senior - BHPian

I came back from a trip to Kukke yesterday, the roads around Sakleshpur town have been repaired and are in good condition. I wanted to take a toll free road up to Hassan and use the state highways. The SH85 road from Magadi to Huliyurdurga is in good condition, the road condition deteriorates then for about 10km up to a village called Ungra, the road widening and asphalting work is in progress around Huliyurdurga village. Hereafter the road condition is good up to Nagamangala, then we have to continue on SH19 and after passing by a HP petrol bunk have to turn left towards Shravanabelagola, the roads are in good condition, continue on SH8 upto Channarayapatna. Then turn left before the bus stand towards Holenarsipura, after 3km turn right on SH8 and again turn right towards SH121. I must appreciate the road conditions around Holenarsipura which are far better than the village roads around Bangalore and very less traffic. The SH121 ends near Halekote, turn right at this junction and continue on SH57 towards Hassan, you will pass by SEZ in Hassan and join NH48. The overall distance to Hassan is almost same as NH48 and travel time is about 45 minutes more than the toll route. Boards have been put up after Sakleshpur town and Gundya about road being closed shortly, asked the authorities about closure date, they told it will be from January 2015. A few images of the road conditions attached here.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh85_01.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh85_02.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh85_03.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh85_04.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh85_05.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-12.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-13.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-09.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sh.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 29th December 2014 at 07:05. Reason: add map
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 09:19   #5663
BHPian

Today's udayavani - manipal edition says , January 2 is the date for shiradi ghat closure.
Old 31st December 2014, 10:05   #5664
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, January 2nd is the day Shiradi will finally close for 6 months due to repair works.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi-1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi-2.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 10:50   #5665
Team-BHP Support

In other words, the Charmadi Ghat will be a parking lot for the next 6 months.

Hello Kalasa... the fourth option. My future options would be either Kalasa or Sampaje.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 11:02   #5666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Hello Kalasa... the fourth option. My future options would be either Kalasa or Sampaje.
Samurai, Kalasa option any day for you .

Makes more sense for Udupi and surrounding locations.

Can't think how Charmadi will bear the brunt. 2 weeks before when I was in Belur,my uncle told how few folks were setting up petty Hotels learning about this news on closure and trying to bank upon those opting for Charmadi option.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 16:02   #5667
BHPian

Folks,

Travelling to Mangalore tomorrow. Now since its all in news that Shiradi Ghat is going to be closed from Jan 2nd, planning to take the Charmadi Ghat roads. Just wanted to know, now since Shiradi is closed will we face too much of traffic in the Charmadi roads? Is it advisable?

Is this the best route or we have some other alternate route? Madikeri? Heard it will be too long?
Old 31st December 2014, 17:40   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

There are 3 places where road works are going on in Sampaje and is a one lane. Traffic is halted in one of the directions to make way for the other. So it would be a pain to drive on this stretch till the work is completed. Kalasa has got some wonderful roads and is bliss to drive.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 20:25   #5669
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Travelling to Mangalore tomorrow. Now since its all in news that Shiradi Ghat is going to be closed from Jan 2nd, planning to take the Charmadi Ghat roads. Just wanted to know, now since Shiradi is closed will we face too much of traffic in the Charmadi roads? Is it advisable?

Is this the best route or we have some other alternate route? Madikeri? Heard it will be too long?
Shiradi will close on Jan 2 so you can enjoy that one last trip on Shiradi if you're traveling on Jan 1

For the return you can take Mangalore-Sullia-Sampaje-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarasipura-Channarayapatna-Nelamangala-Bangalore. Lots of twisties, less traffic so you will enjoy the route.
Old 31st December 2014, 20:59   #5670
Senior - BHPian

Mangaluru: Shiradi Ghat stretch to be closed from January 2
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=287298

Once again , why repair the road if at all their intention is to close the road from next week ?

We will be driving on 14th , no matter what we hear , the plan is to drive till Shiradi and in case of a closed road take the right to Mudigere

Also , can someone please guide me on the best route from Kundapur to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon?
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed