Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 08:22   #5731
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Okay. When was the last you drove on this route ?
Last month I was there.

- Shimoga-Ayanur is 206 and is good
- Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosangara-Nagar-Mastekatte is again fantastic SH
- Kundapur-Ampar is decent.
- Ampar-Hulikal : I dont know. Its about 30-35km. Should be doable in my opinion.

Over all if you are starting from Kundapura, its a much better than Charmadi (if it crowds out).

Or you can also do the time and tested:

Kundapur-Ampar-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Bangalore.

Ampar-Someshwar is rough. Also I think there wont be many heavy vehicles on Agumbe.

If you like winding roads then Agumbe-Koppa-Balehonnur-Aldur-CKM-Belur-Hassan-BLR.

Last edited by ampere : 8th January 2015 at 08:42.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 11:25   #5732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hot News: Charmadi ghat is being widened at places for 2 vehicles to pass easily and overcome the traffic chaos. They have started the work and planning to complete it ASAP
Good that the widening work has started but its sad that the irresponsible officials didn't even bother to anticipate what the situation could be if Shiradi is closed.
They had to wait till they read the news on papers about long traffic jams and then act.

Hope they realize atleast now how planning is important before closing a major road stretch and do not repeat this in future. Am sure this is too much to expect .
Old 8th January 2015, 11:33   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Good that the widening work has started but its sad that the irresponsible officials didn't even bother to anticipate what the situation could be if Shiradi is closed.
They had to wait till they read the news on papers about long traffic jams and then act.

Hope they realize atleast now how planning is important before closing a major road stretch and do not repeat this in future. Am sure this is too much to expect .
Actually speaking, the ministers themselves were caught in the traffic pile up and hence these actions are taken up. If it was just on newspaper they would have never worried or cared about the traffic This is cheap mentality from our politicians.

Also today's newspapers had an article which says,there is very less information for the vehicles enroute about road closure and alternate routes to be taken. And the current boards having information about road closure are in local language and is becoming difficult for people who doesn't know to read Kannada and experiencing difficulties to reach there destination. Also they do not have boards to notify heavy trucks not to take Charmadi route, hence the trucks are going all the way till Charmadi and going back with lot of frustration.
Old 12th January 2015, 21:38   #5734
Senior - BHPian

Google maps doesn't show sakleshpur/ Shiradi as the route anymore !

This is what I get when I checked Kundapur - Bangalore

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421078552.560492.jpg

Our planned route for next week is as follows :

Hassan - Mudigere - Kalasa-kudremukh - Karkala-Moodbidri - Mangalore

Kundapur - Karkala via Udupi and then the Kalasa road

Questions :

1- Hows Sakleshpur - Mudigere ? It's been a while since I drove here. I see 2 routes here
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421078819.047767.jpg

Was thinking of this so that we could reach sakleshpur quickly with almost zero traffic between Hassan- Sakleshpur and then a right to Mudigere

2- Hows Udupi to Karkala ?
Old 12th January 2015, 21:47   #5735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1- Hows Sakleshpur - Mudigere ? It's been a while since I drove here. I see 2 routes here
Not sure how much is good. This has never been that great a road as it was something unusual for any weekender or even bus or freight traffic to drive on. Taking Hassan-Belur-Mudigere road would eat about 30+30 minutes of your time only to reach Mudigere Handpost.

Quote:
2- Hows Udupi to Karkala ?
It is "very much better" barring 6-8 kms. This is from someone who drove to Udupi to from Bangalore only last week.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 13:18   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Questions :

Was thinking of this so that we could reach sakleshpur quickly with almost zero traffic between Hassan- Sakleshpur and then a right to Mudigere
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure how much is good. This has never been that great a road as it was something unusual for any weekender or even bus or freight traffic to drive on. Taking Hassan-Belur-Mudigere road would eat about 30+30 minutes of your time only to reach Mudigere Handpost.
Route 1 from your photo - Sakaleshpura-Hanbal-Jannapura-Mudigere.

Sakaleshpura-Hanbal road was relaid a couple of years back and was in good condition till recently. Hanbal-Jannapura was bad; full of potholes. Jannapura-Mudigere Hand Post road is good.

Route 2 from your photo - Sakaleshpura-Arehally-Cheekanahalli-Jannapura-Mudigere Hand Post

Intial 3-4 kms from Sakleshpura, there is no asphalted road. After that, the road is good all the way to Arehalli. From Arehalli till you join the Belur-Mudigere road (before Cheekanahalli), the road is supposed to be good. I am not sure as I have not been on this stretch recently.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:30   #5737
BHPian

Hi folks

Need Suggestion , Travelling to Udupi from Bangalore next week .

Route 1 : BLR -> Nelamangala -> Sira -> Chitradurga ->Channagiri ->Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Route 2: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Tumakuru->Tiptur->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Any suggestions on which route to be preferred based on the current conditions?
Old 15th January 2015, 11:04   #5738
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
Route 1 : BLR -> Nelamangala -> Sira -> Chitradurga ->Channagiri ->Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Route 2: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Tumakuru->Tiptur->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi
Neither!
Route 1 - after Chitradurga it is rough at some places

Route 2 - if you take the Tumkur bypass it is very rough, you can go via the Tumkur town if going early in the morning

Given the above, take this Route 3:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-turn off to NH48 (Mangalore highway) and go up to Channarayapatna. Then turn off to Arsikere. At Arsikere, it will merge back onto NH 206 (if you went Via Tumkur it would also take you here) and continue via Tarikere-Bhadravati-Shimoga-Turn off towards Gajanur Dam & Sakrebyle Elephant Camp-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi

So now you have 3 options to choose from, I would take #3

Last edited by NPV : 15th January 2015 at 11:06.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 11:44   #5739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Neither!
Route 1 - after Chitradurga it is rough at some places

Route 2 - if you take the Tumkur bypass it is very rough, you can go via the Tumkur town if going early in the morning

Given the above, take this Route 3:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-turn off to NH48 (Mangalore highway) and go up to Channarayapatna. Then turn off to Arsikere. At Arsikere, it will merge back onto NH 206 (if you went Via Tumkur it would also take you here) and continue via Tarikere-Bhadravati-Shimoga-Turn off towards Gajanur Dam & Sakrebyle Elephant Camp-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi

So now you have 3 options to choose from, I would take #3
yes I had this route in my mind as well. So as you called it, lets term as route 3. (Route 3 a small deviation from route 2)

Route 3: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Channarayapatanau->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Is NH 13 from Chitradurga to Shivamogga in route 1 that bad that we have take route 3? Does it negates the better drive on NH47 which we are to take for route 1?

What about route 4 mentioned below
Route 4: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Hassan->Belur->Mudigere->Kalasa-> Kuderemukha-> Bajegoli -> Karkala -> Udupi

Last edited by SaNdY_AR : 15th January 2015 at 11:59.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:18   #5740
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is NH 13 from Chitradurga to Shivamogga in route 1 that bad that we have take route 3? Does it negates the better drive on NH47 which we are to take for route 1?

What about route 4 mentioned below
Route 4: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Hassan->Belur->Mudigere->Kalasa-> Kuderemukha-> Bajegoli -> Karkala -> Udupi
It's not so bad, but may not be very comfortable if driving a lower ground clearance sedan/hatchback. NH13 is not 4 laned, it is just 2 laned on this stretch from Chitradurga to Shimoga.
I think you mean better drive on NH 4, not 47!
Route 3 is anyday better in my opinion, and you get similar 4 lane stretch upto Channarayapatna on NH 48

Regarding Route 4, I haven't taken it beyond Kalasa so not sure.

Last edited by NPV : 15th January 2015 at 12:20.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:31   #5741
Team-BHP Support

Kalasa-> Kuderemukha-> Bajegoli is a highly twisting road, not for the weak stomached. Now it might be getting overflow from charmadi too, otherwise it used to be deserted.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 14:07   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
Route 3: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Channarayapatanau->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi
Recently I travelled in this road till Shivamogga on my way to Kollur. The road till Shivamogga is very good and the only pothole I found is at Birur Railway gate. Except this, the entire stretch was very good to drive with very less traffic that too only at the small towns in between.
Old 15th January 2015, 15:38   #5743
Senior - BHPian

Just reached mangalore. Had last minute change in plans and took the Madikeri route.

Took us 8 hours in total. Traffic was not heavy at all ! Hardly saw any LPG tankers. Are they taking a separate route ?

Some stretches just before Sullia are being worked upon but nothing that cars with low GC have to be careful about. Madikeri onwards it's a breeze.

It's the speedbreakers after Kushalnagar all the way till Bangalore that one has to be careful about. Return plan as of now is from Kundapur via Kalasa.

BTW any updates on the Kanakpura - Mysore NH ?
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 16:48   #5744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took us 8 hours in total. Traffic was not heavy at all ! Hardly saw any LPG tankers. Are they taking a separate route ?
A major festival, expect truckers to be off roads today. Lesser Bus services (Private and Govt) owing to crowd celebrating at home too.

All in all, It was a very good strategy to drive out today . Something that I also like to do - Travel Odd days and Odd hours and enjoy the maximum from the roads.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:22   #5745
BHPian

Will be traveling to Udupi from Bangalore on 19th of this month. I have decided to pick this route for my journey. Driving my new Duster AWD.

Route 3: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Channarayapatana->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shimoga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Most Viewed