Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 08:44   #5746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure how much is good. This has never been that great a road as it was something unusual for any weekender or even bus or freight traffic to drive on.
Sakleshpur to Mudigere via Hanbal is strictly avoidable for sedans and cars with low GC, the road is very narrow throughout and lot of blind spots around curves. The vehicles coming in opposite direction do not budge an inch and expect to you to be on sides, have had 3-4 horrible experience on this route.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 12:16   #5747
Senior - BHPian

Took the Padubidri - Karkala - Kudremukh- Kalasa - Mudigere - Hassan route.

While this is a good drive this definitely isn't for people with motion sickness. Narrow roads but excellent road surface. We averaged around 43 kph till Mudigere from Mangalore (which is around 6 hours ! )
Overtaking larger vehicles is also an issue here.

I wouldn't recommend this to people driving with families or for someone with a tight timeline to meet.

Started at 3 45 pm IST and reached at 115 am IST

Will take Charmadi this weekend

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421649310.758519.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421649349.293161.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421649959.988170.jpg
speedsatya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 19:21   #5748
BHPian

Planning a trip to Sakleshpur (Sinnadorai) during the long weekend, did anyone go recently in Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch to update about road condition? Also for possible breakfast places, how'd Oosur rank compared to Swathi delicacy or Mayura?
Old 19th January 2015, 19:46   #5749
Team-BHP Support

I traveled Bangalore-Kunigal-C.R.Patna-Arasikere-Bhadravati-Shimoga-Teerthahalli-Agumbe-Manipal yesterday. Took me 9 hours including breakfast and lunch. I was driving bit slowly between Bhadravati and Shimoga looking for lunch options. But I finally found a decent one (Ashoka) at Teerthahalli, right after the fork that goes towards Agumbe.

Roads are mostly clean, got some traffic between Kadur and Bhadravati. Overall, it was a nice drive with gentle curves. It was also 44kms longer compared to Shiradi.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:57   #5750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Planning a trip to Sakleshpur (Sinnadorai) during the long weekend, did anyone go recently in Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch to update about road condition? Also for possible breakfast places, how'd Oosur rank compared to Swathi delicacy or Mayura?
Remember reading an update that roads around Sakleshpura have been patched up around Mid/end of December, I don't think its a problem now. You will turn off to the right about 3-4 km before Manjarabad Fort since you're heading to Sinnadorai.
I've seen Ossur but haven't eaten there but I think its too close to your destination as its just before Sakleshpura town. I guess Swathi or Mayura is a better choice for a breakfast stop and you can plan for lunch at Sinnadorai after checking in.

Note: after taking the turn off from NH 48, look for a Primary health centre, immediately after that you need to turn left there are small signboards there for Sinnadorai.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th January 2015 at 11:17. Reason: as requested
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 21:05   #5751
BHPian

Major work ongoing on Bisle ghat road. Road closed.

Having heard of improvements on the Bisle road, decided to try out during our routine drive to Mangalore and back last weekend.

Starting from Bangalore at 4.45am, we were at Kooduraste at 7.45am via Channarayapatna, Arkalgudu and Shanivarasante.

At Kooduraste

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20150117081917.jpg

Bypassed this blockade and drove further towards Bisle check post. Were stopped at Vanagoor village by Work staff / engineers and were told to return. Speaking to them, was told of a major widening project in the entire ghat road. Expansion of culverts, proper drainage along the gradient and strengthening of bridge.

To block traffic, the gate at the check post ( near the view point ) has been locked and at the other end, a huge trench has been dug at Gadi Chaudamma temple just enough to let a two wheeler. Duration of repair - six months.

Reason for repair / upgrade - To take load off shiradi in the coming years ( for development ) and long standing demand of people in the region.

Forest and wildlife ? who cares..

A stretch of road from Vanagoor to Bisle view point.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20150117082730.jpg

Dejected, returned to Somvarpet via Shanthalli, then on to Madikeri and on Sampaje ghat to Mangalore. Madikeri to Mangalore took exactly two hours with heavy traffic and ongoing repair work from Sampaje village to Aranthodu.

Sunday night, starting from Mangalore at 9 pm, took Charmadi route. Almost empty roads from BC road, a steady paced convoy in the ghat and superb roads through Mudigere and Belur saw us at home at 2am. Non stop.

Mudigere to Gonibeedu had some thick fog. Newly painted median and shoulders was of help.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 10:43   #5752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Starting from Bangalore at 4.45am, we were at Kooduraste at 7.45am via Channarayapatna, Arkalgudu and Shanivarasante.
I hope you took the Kodlipete, Shukravarasante route to reach Kooduraste from Shanivarasante. How is this route? It was bad an year back.

Quote:
Dejected, returned to Somvarpet via Shanthalli,
How is this route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Took the Padubidri - Karkala - Kudremukh- Kalasa - Mudigere - Hassan route.
I'm planning to take this route this Saturday to reach a place called Naravi which is 15 km from Bajegoli. I need to reach there by lunch. Hope I can make it. I don't want to take the Charmadi route as I keep hearing about the traffic jams.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 20th January 2015 at 10:48.
Old 20th January 2015, 11:03   #5753
BHPian

Hi guys,

Need some advice. Heading to Mangalore on Friday morning. Departing from JP Nagar at 6 am. Plan is to goto Dharmasthala, Kukke and night halt at Mangalore.

Car is a month old verna diesel. 4 of us friends.

Need advice on route and good restaurants on the way. Also is it doable?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 20th January 2015, 13:34   #5754
BHPian

Guys, need help! Planning to travel to Dharmasthala & Kukke Subramanya on the 24th Weekend with family.

Are the roads open? What would be the best way to reach there?
Old 20th January 2015, 13:38   #5755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I hope you took the Kodlipete, Shukravarasante route to reach Kooduraste from Shanivarasante. How is this route? It was bad an year back.
No, there is a direct road from Shanivarasante to kooduraste and its in very good condition. Yes, Kooduraste to Sakleshpur via Hethur was very bad a year back. No idea of its condition now.

Vanagoor to Somvarpet : Very narrow from Vanagoor to the mallalli falls / pushpagiri road junction and broadens thereon via Shanthalli to Somvarpet. Road surface is smooth throughout.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 16:26   #5756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vanagoor to Somvarpet : Very narrow from Vanagoor to the mallalli falls / pushpagiri road junction and broadens thereon via Shanthalli to Somvarpet. Road surface is smooth throughout.
This route is actually a very nice drive and quite remote too. Not much vehicular traffic. If only the approach road was good from Sakleshpur.

There is another direct road which links Kuduraste to Somwarpete via Goddu which bypasses Shantalli and joins the Somwarpet-Shantalli road. Not sure of the condition though.

Quote:
No, there is a direct road from Shanivarasante to kooduraste and its in very good condition. Yes, Kooduraste to Sakleshpur via Hethur was very bad a year back. No idea of its condition now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I was there in the area on Sunday (18th Jan). I went to Hongadahalla/Kaginahare from Hassan and took this route. It is still as bad as it was last year, maybe even worse. Some potholes have been filled with mud but overall, it is still one of the worse roads to take. Initially I had planned to go upto Bisle, but turned back after I lost a lot of time trying to negotiate the bad road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch is pretty good now. Most of the bad sections were patched up and is an easy drive now. Additionally, you face very very little traffic as the Shiradi ghat has been closed down. It is a pleasure to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Remember reading an update that roads around Sakleshpura have been patched up around Mid/end of December, I don't think its a problem now. You will turn off to the right about 3-4 km before Manjarabad Fort since you're heading to Sinnadorai.
I've seen Ossur but haven't eaten there but I think its too close to your destination as its just before Sakleshpura town. I guess Swathi or Mayura is a better choice for a breakfast stop and you can plan for lunch at Sinnadorai after checking in.
I had been to Sakleshpur last Sunday and the town was like a ghost town. Most restaurants (which used to serve highway traffic) have shut down or have a very limited menu. The once popular Aashritha restaurant had only Idli and rice bath available (not even vadas). Upon enquiry, I was told that due to the closure of the Shiradi ghat, there is virtually no business at all.

Ossoor restaurant was closed last Sunday. Not sure if it will be open this week, since it used to serve mostly highway travelers.

@kousik, as NPV suggests, you would be better off having breakfast at Swathi/Mayura itself instead of at Ossoor.
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 22:26   #5757
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Udupi this weekend. From what i read from last couple of pages, Agumbe is still open

So these are the options i am seeing

1. Charmadi route - Heard about that 20+ km jam, but was it an one off incident ?
2. Kuduremukh - As Satya mentions, its a curvy route, which means slower
3. Shimoga-Agumbe - Roads are good(except i am not sure about Agumbe) but it feels looong due to low speeds in 2 lanes

I am going to Udupi on Saturday morning and returning mostly on tuesday(Can take Charmadi on a weekday morning i guess) So please suggest

Last edited by rajshenoy : 20th January 2015 at 22:27.
Old 20th January 2015, 22:43   #5758
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Planning to drive to Udupi this weekend. From what i read from last couple of pages, Agumbe is still open

So these are the options i am seeing

1. Charmadi route - Heard about that 20+ km jam, but was it an one off incident ?
2. Kuduremukh - As Satya mentions, its a curvy route, which means slower
3. Shimoga-Agumbe - Roads are good(except i am not sure about Agumbe) but it feels looong due to low speeds in 2 lanes

I am going to Udupi on Saturday morning and returning mostly on tuesday(Can take Charmadi on a weekday morning i guess) So please suggest

From what I hear , looks like Charmadi js the quickest to Mangalore. Locals tell me , there aren't any jams now and that road widening work have been completed. Not sure on how accurate this info is as once we ended up driving a lancer through Bisle Ghat to Subramanya based on a tea stall guy's advice

We had once taken this road from Belthangady to Udipi via Karkala. I remember this being a good road with hardly any traffic till Karkala. But this was long back

I am also driving this weekend. Going via Mysore as I have to drop someone at Puttur and return is early Monday morning via Charmadi

Last edited by speedsatya : 20th January 2015 at 22:46.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:53   #5759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
From what I hear , looks like Charmadi js the quickest to Mangalore. Locals tell me , there aren't any jams now and that road widening work have been completed. Not sure on how accurate this info is as once we ended up driving a lancer through Bisle Ghat to Subramanya based on a tea stall guy's advice

We had once taken this road from Belthangady to Udipi via Karkala. I remember this being a good road with hardly any traffic till Karkala. But this was long back

I am also driving this weekend. Going via Mysore as I have to drop someone at Puttur and return is early Monday morning via Charmadi
True, I can surely take Charmadi during return leg since it is on a tuesday. Just worried about Saturday though.

Btw, Congratulataions on the Ciaz. Looks deadly in that ghat pic. Like the road presence.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:24   #5760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
True, I can surely take Charmadi during return leg since it is on a tuesday. Just worried about Saturday though.
CR Patna-Arsikere-Bhadravathi-Mandagadde-Thirthahalli-Agumbe.

Might be a worth a try. Bhadravathi-Mandagadde via SH65 should be good. Helps bypass Shimoga totally.

Most Viewed