Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 14:31   #5791
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I took the same route, started at 2:45 and reached at 11:05. We could reach Belur only at 6:15. There is always a huge traffic building up in Charmadi behind one of the local transport giving us guided tour of Ghats @ less than 20km speed!

Saw many acciedents on the way. First one Just after Kottigehara two cars involved with one back ending, no major damage to cars but lots of damage to passengers as none belted! One in Belur road between Rickshaw and Ritz (I guess) with Rickshaw completely destroyed, another after CR patana a tracks went inside Standing lorry! I have seen less deaths in this road when it was two lane road. For one I think we should not be given such good roads! We are not ready! We are not mature to have good roads!

I chose this route to avoid Mysore <-> Bangalore highway, but I found situation here also no difference!
so the now erstwhile "peaceful" route is now chock-a-bloc with traffic and as a result lots of accidents. I can hear the road-monsters grinning with glee - shouldn't be long before they paste themselves every few kms. Not long before this route starts to resemble the BNG-MYS highway, with small hills masquerading as road humps - and still the number of rash drivers will not reduce - what rotten luck
Old 27th January 2015, 17:05   #5792
BHPian

Had been to Dharmasthala, kukke etc on a long weekend trip. started from bangalore at 6:00AM on 24th and returned back on 26th Jan evening by taking below route.

Started at 6:00AM from Blr and reached Hassan at 09:30am with 30 mins break at Kamat.
Saw a group of bikers(11 enfields) along from kunigal who were driving rashly inside streets of hassan.
Reached mudigere at about 11:15am, took break at a coffee shop on the roadside. Then saw these bikers coming to that shop one by one. All of a sudden one biker who was fast on curves and took long turn and rammed into oncoming jeep right infront of us. Felt bikers need to maintain displine and stick to the pack while driving on highways.

Proceeded to Dharmasthala via charmadi. As mentioned elsewhere, roads are little broadend but lot of dust. Traffic was less, some cars were tailgating us dangerously close. One swift behind us almost lost control as driver was in hurry to overtake us and not know how and when to do it. Also saw almost 7 cars parked aside throught the ghat as passengers were puking.

Left Dharmasthala at 2:45 and reached kukke at 4:30 via Gundya. Left from here at 5:45 and reached udupi at 11:00pm via Kadaba, uppinangadi, karkala. Mostly good roads. Did a night halt at Manipal.

Started next morning from udupi at 10:00am towards kundapur, visited few temples there and then reached Murudeshar at 2:30pm. Road works are on going(though i felt its not progressing much), diversions here and there and few patchy roads.
Left from here at 5:30pm and reached Kollur via baindur. fairly good roads from Baindur though.

Left from kollur at 9:00am to shimoga via nagara, rippon pet. Good roads till nagara and fairly good till ayyanor. some rought patches and road construction going on.
From shimoga at 12:00pm, reached arsikere at 3:15pm. Saw heavy traffic (read bangalore cars) all along, badly road humps, traffic diversions, railway crossings. Got tired on this stretch as other cars were pushing hard to overtake us and trucks/LCV infront of us travelling at snails pace.

Took deviation towards channarayapattna, smooth roads with less traffic all the way and reached at 4:00pm. From here witnessed absolute chaos with cars trying faster and logjams at toll gates. Managed to reach home at 7:00pm
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-routes.png  

Old 30th January 2015, 14:27   #5793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
yes I had this route in my mind as well. So as you called it, lets term as route 3. (Route 3 a small deviation from route 2)

Route 3: BLR -> Nelamangala ->Channarayapatanau->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati-> Shivamogga-> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Puttige -> Udupi

Is NH 13 from Chitradurga to Shivamogga in route 1 that bad that we have take route 3? Does it negates the better drive on NH47 which we are to take for route 1?
Took this Route 3 towards Udupi last sunday. Pleasure to drive. However while entering and leaving villages enroute would be lead by one or the other truck which slowed us down. Still managed to do the route in 8.30 Hrs.

While returning took on Wednesday Udupi - Thirthahalli -> Shivamogga -> Chitradurga ->Nelamangala->BLR. Though Shivamogga-Chitradurga roads are considerably wide roads are not that perfect. Nothing that one has to be worried in a sedan or hatchback but could have been better with a fresh layer of tar. Being a weekday Chirtradurga to BLR was a breeze and did good speeds

A rant during this journey was the lane discipline in Nice road. What is it with trucks which are slow trying to overtake other slower trucks and in the process make a huge pile up of vehicles behind them.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:00   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
While returning took on Wednesday Udupi - Thirthahalli -> Shivamogga -> Chitradurga ->Nelamangala->BLR. Though Shivamogga-Chitradurga roads are considerably wide roads are not that perfect. Nothing that one has to be worried in a sedan or hatchback but could have been better with a fresh layer of tar. Being a weekday Chirtradurga to BLR was a breeze and did good speeds

Udupi - Thirthahalli -> Shivamogga ->Arasikere->tiptur->tumkur->Bangalore is much better than Chitradurga. Roads are good except for the Tumkur bypass

Either that or Arasikere->CR Patna->Bangalore which is around 25km longer.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:24   #5795
Team-BHP Support

Udupi BHPians are meeting on Sunday (Feb 1st), details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3633173

If any of you are in town that day, you are welcome to join us.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:26   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Sullia this weekend and it was a breeze to drive all the way with moderate traffic.

Route taken was:

Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullia

Left Bangalore on Saturday morning at 9AM and reached Sullia by 3.30PM with half an hour break. Roads are excellent till Sampaje and after work is going on between Sullia and Sampaje for about 2-3kms. It is very dusty if you are trailing a KSRTC bus or a truck apart from that it is an easy drive as they have flattened the surface with rollers.

Returned in the same route today and the traffic was very less and it was a relaxed drive.

Also avoid night journey, as all multi axle volvos travel in this route and becomes difficult to drive with those high beams which they never bother to dim or make way for others. Also they are not allowing long trailers/ trucks in this route. Day journey will be the best IMO

Some pics from my journey:

Roads near Sullia:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-wp_20150201_13_04_53_pro.jpg

Work in Progress after Sampaje:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-wp_20150202_10_35_20_pro.jpg

Between Mysore and Madikeri:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-wp_20150202_13_32_51_pro.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-wp_20150202_13_33_18_pro.jpg
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 00:04   #5797
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I traveled via following this route, it was only 30kms extra compared to Shiradi, and I could make it in 8 hours, including two breaks. I even skipped Shimoga, thanks of ample help from BHPian ampere. The roads were clean all the way.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2015 at 00:05.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 21:45   #5798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Rajahamsa and upwards, they all take Blore-Mysore Ring Road-Hunsur-Madikeri-Mlore route.
Didn't spot any of the private buses, though, along this route (Blore-Mysore-Madikeri). Found my answer at Kushalnagar. The private buses leaving Mlore, are taking a left turn on a wide 2 lane road, just before the KSRTC bus terminal (or rather, a junction). Assuming that this road either leads to Hassan or Chennarayapatna.
Blore-Mysore-Madikeri-Sampaje-Mani route is pothole-free (but for a little over 5 km road work still in progress, that might get completed in a month's time). But sadly, the number of speedbreakers and windings are a distraction to an otherwise overall excellent route.
Seems like many KSRTC buses (Airavat, Club Class, Rajahamsa Executive and Sleeper) too is avoiding the Blore-Mysore route now. Decided to trail a Sugama bus from Kushalnagar (the driver seemed too happy to guide, turning on indicator before every turn he took along this route, hehe).
Following is the route: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ku...12.9000208!3e0

So, it emerges that almost every bus, excluding a Club Class, that decided to head towards Mysore, is taking the above route. About 25% of this route is a reminder to the condition of Shiradi Ghats at its most deplorable condition, while the rest is a combination of very good road (SH91), and good.

The total distance turned out to be 414kms, instead of 358kms via Shiradi, and perhaps 382kms via. Mysore.

Trivia: It was funny to see the "Canara" sleeper bus driver, perhaps trying to save time, get off his bus, order tea (at a roadside stall that i had stopped too, near Hirisave), walk back with his tea cup, and drive away! Of course, this must be just one of the things they are used to, while driving, hehe.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:00   #5799
BHPian

Have a quick question here: On 6th night one of my friend (Non-bhpian) had been to Karkala. Mentioned that Shiradi ghat is opened for One way traffic towards Dharmasthala and the roads are good except that the sides are dug up for widening.
Request team to confirm here. Thanks In advance
Old 9th February 2015, 12:50   #5800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I traveled via following this route, it was only 30kms extra compared to Shiradi, and I could make it in 8 hours, including two breaks. I even skipped Shimoga, thanks of ample help from BHPian ampere. The roads were clean all the way.
Thanks Samurai. Your map will be very helpful, I plan drive from Manipal to Bangalore this weekend. Between, a local person mentioned to me that Agumbe ghat road is undergoing repair work and may even be closed for sometime. Any clues on this?

Thanks again. Cheers.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:34   #5801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is the Muduba-Muttinakoppa-Bhadravathi road also in good condition ? That should probably save about 5-10 kms I guess ?
Old 9th February 2015, 14:41   #5802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Is the Muduba-Muttinakoppa-Bhadravathi road also in good condition ? That should probably save about 5-10 kms I guess ?
Thats the route which is being referred to. Cross at Mandagadde and drive to Bhadravathi bypass via SH65. Once you cross the bridge the odd 4-5 km till you hit SH65 is quite narrow but in good condition.
Old 9th February 2015, 21:58   #5803
BHPian

I am also planning to drive to Manipal this weekend. Was planning to take Samurai's route but now the news about Agumbe ghat repair work has made the decision tricky.

Hope some updates come in fast
Old 9th February 2015, 22:39   #5804
Team-BHP Support

Relax guys, Agumbe ghat won't close before Shiradi ghat opens. The government may be incompetent, but even they are not that stupid to close two ghats connecting the coast at the same time.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...finishing.html
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:54   #5805
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mangalore through Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje today. Started at 7 in the morning and reached Mangalore at 3 PM with a 30 min stop at Kamat Upachar for breakfast before Mandya.

The roads are excellent throughout. There is just one <100 mtr section after Sampaje that is yet to be tarred. Work is in its final stages. Traffic was sparse. One needs to be careful in the ghat section as vehicles are generally at higher speeds due to the smooth surface.

Will be returning via same route on Monday.

Most Viewed