Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:21   #5851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
is still the best route option.
Personally, I would pick the Kalasa-Kuduremukha option.

Quote:
I plan to start from Vidyaranyapura, North Bangalore at 5 in the morning. I would be past Swathi or Mayur for my breakfast options. Anything that i can look out for in Arasikere.
There is a CCD after Arasikere towards Banavare. Here is the location.

In case you change your mind and take the Hassan-Kalasa-Kuduremukha option, Kamat at Udyapura (After CR Patna Bypass) makes sense. But this is on the right hand side. There is also Aadya's just before Kamat on the left hand side. You get this as the first Hotel right after you cross the Truck lay bye after the 2 lane CR Patna Bypass.

The Kamat is also attached to IOCL and a CCD. This is the location.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd March 2015 at 19:23.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:26   #5852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Personally, I would pick the Kalasa-Kuduremukha option.
It is a very slow route, and too many twisters. That is why all of us frequenters prefer the Thirthahalli route. It is a peaceful road, and takes same time as Shiradi. I was very surprised to discover that fact.
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:29   #5853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a very slow route, and too many twisters. That is why all of us frequenters prefer the Thirthahalli route. It is a peaceful road, and takes same time as Shiradi. I was very surprised to discover that fact.
Yes Sam, I do recall you taking this road last time. More than too many twisties I guess the progress is really slow on Kuduremukha road that irks many drivers as well.

The reason for me to prefer Kuduremukha is mainly as an option of a road less taken and hence you won't be confronted by too much traffic after turning right at Kottigehara.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:21   #5854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Guys, i am doing BLR-Udupi this Friday and from what i read and understand
There is one hotel Prashanth just at the end of Arsikere. It is small hotel with good food. But no restrooms. It does not belong to that league. For that you need to be at Coffee Day.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:45   #5855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is one hotel Prashanth just at the end of Arsikere. It is small hotel with good food. But no restrooms. It does not belong to that league. For that you need to be at Coffee Day.
This is the main problem with Arasikere road. Most restaurants on this route don't believe in providing clean or any restroom. They probably think all their patrons are as gifted as Kim Jong-Il. We need to discover 1-2 restaurants who don't believe that.

PS: Check the second fact about Kim Jong Il.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:50   #5856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the main problem with Arasikere road.
Even today from Belur, Arasikere is the nearest Railway Station on the popular Bangalore-Mumbai line and since years we have always been visiting this place for either dropping or receiving a relative.

The same trains stop at Birur Jn but Arasikere always made sense as it the train would arrive early (When receiving someone) and late when dropping someone.

Except some wonderful Idly vadas right on the platform of the railway station, there is absolutely no good place in the town where you can vouch for good Food and clean restrooms together.

CCD is always a better choice when you are around Arasikere. When driving with friends or Solo, one can always eat at typical restaurants anyways.
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:53   #5857
BHPian

Quote:
That is why all of us frequenters prefer the Thirthahalli route. It is a peaceful road, and takes same time as Shiradi. I was very surprised to discover that fact.
Could this route be efficient for M'lore? The madikeri route is quite long.
I would be doing B'lore - M'lore in another 2 weeks with a elderly person along. I always preferred shiradi for it's width and lesser number of turns.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:04   #5858
Team-BHP Support

Only if you don't mind an additional 50kms.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:43   #5859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would be doing B'lore - M'lore in another 2 weeks with a elderly person along. I always preferred shiradi for it's width and lesser number of turns.
Quote:
Only if you don't mind an additional 50kms.
I think instead of heading to Agumbe from Thirthahalli one can directly head to Koppa on SH65 via NR Pura. Its a belter road now all the way. So the option becomes:

CR Patna-Arsikere-Bhadra bypass - NR Pura Bypass - SH65 all the way to Koppa (bypass Thirthahalli) - NH13 all the way to Mangalore.

I think NR Pura may have some decent eating option as well. (Did not find much on the bypass though). We did see some decent eating restaurants.

Route Link

Do note: it shows an extra 45-50 because of map error. (Google goes into Kalasa road for routing). Apart from that its about 470km, which is about 70km more than Mysore/Coorg route.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2015 at 21:49.
Old 2nd March 2015, 23:58   #5860
BHPian

Quote:
I think instead of heading to Agumbe from Thirthahalli one can directly head to Koppa on SH65 via NR Pura. Its a belter road now all the way. So the option becomes:

CR Patna-Arsikere-Bhadra bypass - NR Pura Bypass - SH65 all the way to Koppa (bypass Thirthahalli) - NH13 all the way to Mangalore.

Do note: it shows an extra 45-50 because of map error. (Google goes into Kalasa road for routing). Apart from that its about 470km, which is about 70km more than Mysore/Coorg route.
So, all in all it is about 100km more than shiradi for M'lore. Sigh! I hope they complete the shiradi work as soon as possible. At the least, they should allow LMV to ply at the earliest.
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:03   #5861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, all in all it is about 100km more than shiradi for M'lore. Sigh! I hope they complete the shiradi work as soon as possible. At the least, they should allow LMV to ply at the earliest.
How ever when looking at routes to Udupi, I found the route via Agumbe stress-free (Samurai would know better. He does it all the time). Simply because its much less twisty. The roads are much more straighter. But yes, for heading to Mangalore its a different equation.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd March 2015 at 00:06.
Old 3rd March 2015, 07:01   #5862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How ever when looking at routes to Udupi, I found the route via Agumbe stress-free (Samurai would know better. He does it all the time). Simply because its much less twisty. The roads are much more straighter
You know... that made me think. I may continue to take this road even after Shiradi is fixed and reopened.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:19   #5863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would be doing B'lore - M'lore in another 2 weeks with a elderly person along.
You can stick to Madikeri route. The road work between Sampaje - Mani is completed. Even Mani - Mangalore has very less traffic since Shiradi is closed. I took this route to come back from Mangalore last weekend and it took just 7 hours through Somawarapete. It was a pothole free drive between Mangalore - Bangalore after a long gap

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 3rd March 2015 at 09:20.
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:30   #5864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There is a CCD after Arasikere towards Banavare.
Thanks @paragsachania. That helps. Quick question. Does this CCD have breakfast options as well. I know the ones on Mysore road have breakfast option. From the map you shared, i see this place is around 3 hours from my place and that would make it ideal time for a break/breakfast.

Last edited by Lightening-Fast : 3rd March 2015 at 11:32.
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:34   #5865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @paragsachania. That helps. Quick question. Does this CCD have breakfast options as well. I know the ones on Mysore road have breakfast option. From the map you shared, i see this place is around 3 hours from my place and that would make it ideal time for a break/breakfast.
Most of the CCDs now have the meal option (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner). Knowing that this one was set up bang on the highway to cater to travelers, I am sure this one too shall have it.

More details here -

http://www.cafecoffeeday.com/shop-lo...anayakanahalli

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd March 2015 at 11:45.

Most Viewed