Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:03   #5866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could this route be efficient for M'lore? The madikeri route is quite long.

I would be doing B'lore - M'lore in another 2 weeks with a elderly person along. I always preferred shiradi for it's width and lesser number of turns.

If it's Mangalore , then Channrayapatna - Arakalagud-Kushalnagar- Madikeri- Puttur is the quickest route now. All the road widening / repair work around Sullia is complete.

You have to enter Channrayapatna town ( instead of the bypass we take while taking Shiradi) and then take the excellent Holenarasipur-Arakalagud- Kushalnagar SH. About 1.5 kms of road in between is undergoing repair work but manageable

As I was driving solo this weekend , I took Madikeri - Somwarpet-Arakalagud-Channrayapatna. Started from Puttur at 1230 pm IST and reached Bannerghata road by 715 pm IST with one pit stop for food The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425364401.602374.jpg
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:17   #5867
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Most of the CCDs now have the meal option (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner). Knowing that this one was set up bang on the highway to cater to travelers, I am sure this one too shall have it.

More details here -

http://www.cafecoffeeday.com/shop-lo...anayakanahalli
Awesome. Thanks Mate. Will report back on the timings and route conditions post my return
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:14   #5868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
If it's Mangalore , then Channrayapatna - Arakalagud-Kushalnagar- Madikeri- Puttur is the quickest route now. All the road widening / repair work around Sullia is complete.

You have to enter Channrayapatna town ( instead of the bypass we take while taking Shiradi) and then take the excellent Holenarasipur-Arakalagud- Kushalnagar SH. About 1.5 kms of road in between is undergoing repair work but manageable
Wow! This routing is interesting.

It avoids the dense mysore route, has the benefits of 4 lane for almost all it's length. Only concern, would be sampaje and puttur - mani section. Last time there was work happening between puttur - mani section, hope it has been completed now.
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:45   #5869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It avoids the dense mysore route, has the benefits of 4 lane for almost all it's length. Only concern, would be sampaje and puttur - mani section. Last time there was work happening between puttur - mani section, hope it has been completed now.
Surprised! I thought you were looking at avoiding Madikeri route. Else the CR Patna option to Madikeri and there to Mangalore is supercool. Absolutely no traffic and good roads as well. In fact many now prefer this route to Coorg also.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd March 2015 at 15:50.
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:54   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Surprised! I thought you were looking at avoiding Madikeri route. Else the CR Patna option to Madikeri is supercool. Absolutely no traffic and good roads as well. In fact many now prefer this route to Coorg also.
I have put across my concerns on madikeri route also, which is on sullia - puttur and puttur - mani sections. It was longish, coz we used to approach it via mysore - hunsur route.

It is tempting now, coz with this diversion at CR Patna, we can use the 4 lane for almost its length.
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:50   #5871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have put across my concerns on madikeri route also, which is on sullia - puttur and puttur - mani sections. It was longish, coz we used to approach it via mysore - hunsur route.

It is tempting now, coz with this diversion at CR Patna, we can use the 4 lane for almost its length.

Quote:

All work between Madikeri - Mani is complete now. This stretch is a breeze to drive on. Also the quickest to mangalore now
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 12:40   #5872
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Madikeri to Jalsoor last weekend and back yesterday. The entire stretch is a dream to drive on other than one bridge under construction. Even that stretch is easily manageable in a low slung sedan.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:51   #5873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Check post#5815 for details.
Tried this route and it was a breeze. The roads were pretty good all the way till Thirthahalli.
Left Bangalore at 4.15am(Jayanagar 4th block) and reached Vandse by 11.15(Stopped for 30 mins at Arsikere for breakfast)
Old 9th March 2015, 15:10   #5874
BHPian

Guys, I have to travel from Udupi to Bangalore covering Dharmastala and Subramanya.

Any suggestions on the route to be taken and the distance as well?
Old 9th March 2015, 23:39   #5875
Team-BHP Support

The real advantage of Agumbe ghat is that it is only 7kms long, and can be climbed in 12 minutes by an experienced ghat road driver. The stress on the last few words is because Agumbe ghat is also the place which unnerves many a drivers who haven't driven in the ghats. The hair pin curves often confound drivers to drive on the wrong side in the curves inviting disaster. See couple of them every time.

This time I captured couple of them on video. The video is run in 2x speed to half the viewing time and make it less boring.

Check out the Innova hugging the wrong inner side while negotiating a curve at position 3:30, and a Omni hugging the wrong outer side few seconds later. Watch it in HD for better clarity.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:46   #5876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Guys, I have to travel from Udupi to Bangalore covering Dharmastala and Subramanya.

Any suggestions on the route to be taken and the distance as well?
I also have a related question: ideal route from north Bengalooru to Kukke? Is bisle ghat usable?
Old 11th March 2015, 15:24   #5877
BHPian

Travelled Bangalore - Udupi and returned the same day yesterday and took KSRTC Volvos for both the legs, in the return leg, interestingly the driver took the Mangalore-Kushalnagar - Channarayapatanna- Bangalore route. It was far better than the onwards journey which was via Mysore - Madikere-Sullia- Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi

The bus journey was pretty nice , on schedule , clean buses and great crew.
Old 11th March 2015, 16:20   #5878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I also have a related question: ideal route from north Bengalooru to Kukke? Is bisle ghat usable?
That would NOT be a good idea. Also, heard some patch work going on out there. Better would be charmadi, else via madikeri.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 20:00   #5879
BHPian

Quote:
That would NOT be a good idea. Also, heard some patch work going on out there. Better would be charmadi, else via madikeri.
Thought so. Where is the turn off to kukke after sampaje?
Old 11th March 2015, 20:59   #5880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thought so. Where is the turn off to kukke after sampaje?
The turn-off is at Jalsoor. You should be able to spot it.

Most Viewed