Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 08:42   #5956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
That's a great news. If it's done, the travel time will be cut short by atleast 15-20 minutes. Hope they do something for that narrow railway crossing near the town. It's not a major bottleneck but sometimes I have witnessed crazy wait times due to two KSRTC buses trying to cross simultaneously.
Very True. When I last drove to Somvarpet using this option, it was only those 2 kms of bad and uneven road that can break anyone's back. Luckily, it lasted for just 2 kms and like a typical drive,during return on the same day, we all felt that it was faster to pass this bad patch when we drove back .

Quote:
Parag, do you know the road conditions between Magadi - Huliyurdurga - Nagamangala? One of my friend who is fed up of wait times at toll booths wants to do a toll free drive between Bangalore - Hassan.
The same friend who did Madikeri via CR Patna route and told me that the bad patch was all done wanted to take up a Toll Free drive just like you mention about your friend. In fact, even Addy wants to do this.

From what I recall, Magadi via Huliyadirga was reported to be good by him as he is too particular on taking a non tolled road as he drives solo. (We did Mumbai Bangalore Via NH17, NH209 by paying mere 5 Bucks from Mumbai till Tumkur 2 years back ).

I will double check with him and report the exact conditions here.

Quote:
And most of those morons will be driving Bangalore registered cars. Wherever they go, the same kind of urgency what they show in ORR will be displayed. Usually any vehicle other than Bangalore registered will display utmost matured behavior in such situations.
I completely agree with this. Giving way is never a trait displayed by Bangalore registered cars in Ghats and that's the biggest negative resulting in jams on Charmadi.

This was way back in 2006 when I and my friend drove to Chikmagalur. We were waiting for the signal lights to turn green at the KSRTC Bus Stand (Togari Hankal Circle) and suddenly see a Bangalore registered car take on the opposite lane to rush past as soon as the light turned Green.

Again, Few years back, when there was no Kunigal Bypass, a Truck with wooden logs driven towards Bangalore was negotiating rumblers opp to the famous Thatte Idly hotel (Govt School) while few cars were patiently waiting behind and we suddenly see a typical Bangalore car trying to overtake the truck from its left on a 2 lane undivided highway .
Patience and Bangalore are 2 extremes and this is the reason why I have resorted to drive odd day and odd times.

Addy reported 1hr transit between Lanco Nelemangala to NTBL toll on last Sunday evening. I did the same a week back starting at 10PM from Belur and reaching Bangalore home at 12:30AM with much ease. Something that I have been doing since last 6 years even before the road became 4 laned and tolled.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 08:49   #5957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The same friend who did Madikeri via CR Patna route and told me that the bad patch was all done wanted to take up a Toll Free drive just like you mention about your friend. In fact, even Addy wants to do this.
Magadi Huliyurdurga is quite decent. I drove some years back. Dont see any reason, why it should have deteriorated, as its low on traffic. Dont know how is it beyond though.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 08:51   #5958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Magadi Huliyurdurga is quite decent. I drove some years back. Dont see any reason, why it should have deteriorated, as its low on traffic. Dont know how is it beyond though.
These Internal roads, better be checked for latest conditions before driving. Enough cases we have where roads have gone bad in just a year and never get asphalted regularly and neglected too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 10:12   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
These Internal roads, better be checked for latest conditions before driving. Enough cases we have where roads have gone bad in just a year and never get asphalted regularly and neglected too.
Last Sunday I had been to hutridurga via huliyurdurga on my bike. Baring few bad patches, road between Huliyurdurga and Yelagalavadi are newly layed out but nothing alarming for a car with low GC.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 10:19   #5960
Senior - BHPian

Guys any updates on Shiradi? when is it expected to be completed? if they dont complete the work before monsoon then am sure it will get stretched till next summer.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:39   #5961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
. No jams on Charmadi at early hrs, but was surprised to spot all kinds of cv's, right from lpg lorries to parcel lorries take that route. Anyways, do not intend to take that route anymore. Sampaje is the best alternative to Shiradi, any day.

Yes Charmadi is best if taken early morning or late nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Usually any vehicle other than Bangalore registered will display utmost matured behavior in such situations.

Quote:
I completely agree with this. Giving way is never a trait displayed by Bangalore registered cars in Ghats and that's the biggest negative resulting in jams on Charmadi.

The other day me and Parag were discussing same. If at all RTOs were to rated based on the #of offences , #of drivers being aware of traffic rules ( forget following them on the road ) , bangalore RTO would rank lowest with close competetion from MH12 RTO.

Idiots everywhere. Try indicating that you wanna take a turn and you will have 10 drivers ( who would otherwise be cruising behind ) downshifting and accelerating to pass before you make the turn
Old 14th April 2015, 11:05   #5962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Yes Charmadi is best if taken early morning or late nights.

The other day me and Parag were discussing same. If at all RTOs were to rated based on the #of offences , #of drivers being aware of traffic rules ( forget following them on the road ) , bangalore RTO would rank lowest with close competetion from MH12 RTO.

Idiots everywhere. Try indicating that you wanna take a turn and you will have 10 drivers ( who would otherwise be cruising behind ) downshifting and accelerating to pass before you make the turn
Yes Bangalore is full of educated idiots IMO, almost everyday I spot one or the other such idiot. Today morning I came across 2 such idiots who work as techies in our tech park. I was on the left lane to take a left, and this moron comes from right and takes that left without slowing down or seeing that there is a car next to him. In other case a moron driving an indica joins the road without stopping and making the other cars on the right lane to forcefully stop.

I still can't think of a future where we will have disciplined drivers in India Period
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:13   #5963
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it , take a ride/drive and you can spot plenty, classic case is during the long vacation you can spot these morons heading out and drive like idiots. couple of instances have seen cars loosing control and almost ending up in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Yes Bangalore is full of educated idiots IMO, almost everyday I spot one or the other such idiot. Today morning I came across 2 such idiots who work as techies in our tech park. I was on the left lane to take a left, and this moron comes from right and takes that left without slowing down or seeing that there is a car next to him. In other case a moron driving an indica joins the road without stopping and making the other cars on the right lane to forcefully stop.

I still can't think of a future where we will have disciplined drivers in India Period
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:33   #5964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Today morning I came across 2 such idiots who work as techies in our tech park. I was on the left lane to take a left, and this moron comes from right and takes that left without slowing down or seeing that there is a car next to him. In other case a moron driving an indica joins the road without stopping and making the other cars on the right lane to forcefully stop.

I am thinking of buying a good old ambassador or come up with strong C channels in the front of my existing car to take care of these guys and save my bumpers

BTW i drove back from my native Karkala on sunday the 12th. Since the day Shiradi is closed I have been taking the Kudremukha National Park (KNP) route. Even though a little twisty I love the scenic beauty and the wildlife encounters during the night.
My routine is to start from Bangalore (Katriguppe) on Friday evenings between 6:30 to 7:00 and reach Karkala by 2:30AM with healthy stops for dinner at "THE ADIGAS GRAND" a good place, Ginger tea at Belur opp. to APMC and the last tea stop at Bajagoli. this is just 12 kms away from my home.
During my numerous return trips on different occasions and at different time slots, I have noticed that the best time to start the journey back to Bangalore is at 3:30PM to 4:00PM. During this time the traffic from Kottigehara onwards has been comparatively less (Don't know what happens in Charmadi - have not used it since the time Shiradi closed!!).

Important notice to travelers via Kudremukh: The forest GATE at the entry into KNP from Kalasa has been mowed down by a truck (Don't know the details about the incident) and hence the gate will be open and one can drive into the park without taking the passes at the entrance. Beware this will lead to your vehicle being inspected at the Kudremukha township (my cousin experienced this and had to pay a hefty bribe). Hence please stop your vehicle at the gate -> wake up the gaurd (he will be sleeping on the bench in the same room) -> Get passes and then proceed. else you will land in deep trouble as the same guard will send a message to his peers once you cross the gate saying there is a domestic animal in the wilderness, please take care
belvaisudheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 15:10   #5965
BHPian

Need help on the route to Kukke Subhramanya from Bangalore. Is it better to reach Sullia and then come back to Subhramanya or can I take SH85 from Somwarpet? Plan is to start early (~5 AM) from Bangalore.
Old 15th April 2015, 15:41   #5966
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post
Need help on the route to Kukke Subhramanya from Bangalore. Is it better to reach Sullia and then come back to Subhramanya or can I take SH85 from Somwarpet? Plan is to start early (~5 AM) from Bangalore.
As many have stated earlier in the thread, SH85 is actually Bisle ghat road and a strict NO. Take the Madikeri/Sampaje/Sulia road.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:02   #5967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Guys any updates on Shiradi? when is it expected to be completed? if they dont complete the work before monsoon then am sure it will get stretched till next summer.
As per this report it is on June 1st. I doubt phase 1 will be completed on May 15 as stated!

Best part of the report is "As per the government's estimate, the repaired stretch of the highway at Shiradi will withstand traffic for the next 30 years." Haven't we heard similar lines numerous times!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 13:07   #5968
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raghu

they are used to making such jokes, let it last couple of years and we will all be very greatful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
As per this report it is on June 1st. I doubt phase 1 will be completed on May 15 as stated!

Best part of the report is "As per the government's estimate, the repaired stretch of the highway at Shiradi will withstand traffic for the next 30 years." Haven't we heard similar lines numerous times!
Old 16th April 2015, 15:56   #5969
BHPian

Travelled to Udupi last Saturday. I was without access to google maps and we ended up missing the right turn at Channarayapatna. We then took the Shantigrama -> Dudda -> Arsikere route. This turn is about 500 meters from the Shantigrama toll booth. Not bad considering that the roads were good and it could have been just about 5-10kms extra.
On the way back we started from Udupi at 6:30am and reached Bangalore by 1:30pm with a lunch break at Mayura.
On the way back these pointers might help, especially if you are without maps:

Just while entering Shimoga you have to take a right turn that goes towards Bhadravathi

After Arsikere bus-stand look for a right turn that leads to Channarayapatna. You will notice the road which goes under a railway bridge.

These two deviations do not have any signs which help.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:08   #5970
Senior - BHPian

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=312261

So , these guys say the road will be ready in the next 2 months ! I doubt this going by their historical performance .

The last 2 paragraphs are very interesting though .

Once the Shiradi ghat road is opened, the department will have to conduct repairs at Charmadi ghat road on a war footing, where several drains had been closed to widen the road to enable the road to handle increased traffic caused by diverted vehicles. If this is not done, the road may suffer heavily during monsoon season, it is felt.

As per the government's estimate, the repaired stretch of the highway at Shiradi will withstand traffic for the next 30 years

Most Viewed