Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 16:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

You can safely drive ur 400km car for long drives...Just make sure u adhere to the instructions as far as max speed is concerned...better keep max speed at 80kmph....

NH48 is fine...so use that road, it is a runway till Hassan and an improved highway after that (last monsoon took the toll on the shirdi ghat road but it has been repaired)...

Abhi
Old 9th April 2007, 16:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks abhi

i initially created new thread and later on found this old thread..

being from mangalore, i have experienced that road last year..post july..it was horrible..heard it has improved now..thanks for confirmation..
Old 20th April 2007, 10:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

I drove down from Bangalore to Kollur a month back. As Roy said, its a highway upto Hassan. Work is still happening in some portions of the Shiradi Ghats, but its negligble and should be ready in time for the monsoon. Except for that small bit the road is very good all through.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:36   #49
BHPian

Im planning a trip from Bangalore-Mangalore this week. Can someone point to the current road conditions through the Shiradi ghat and the Puttur-Sulya stretch and the recommended route.
Old 27th August 2007, 18:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica View Post
Im planning a trip from Bangalore-Mangalore this week. Can someone point to the current road conditions through the Shiradi ghat and the Puttur-Sulya stretch and the recommended route.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...san-mlore.html
Old 31st October 2007, 12:55   #51
BHPian

Bangalore - udupi

Hi

I am planning for this trip coming weekend in my Santro. I used to make this trip 2-3 times a year through hassan- sakleshpur -mangalore. Now due to pathetic condition of the roads in shiradi ghat and beyond, I am forced to look at alternate routes.

Request your suggestion on which of the below routes is better.

1. Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga -Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - udupi

2. Bangalore - Hassan -Gonibeed -Mudigere - kalasa - Karkala - Udupi

I personally prefer the 2nd route as it is shorter, but need to know on the road conditions . Feedback from someone who has recently travelled this route is highly appreciated.

Also please suggest other suitable route if any.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2007, 14:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Actually in route 2, the traffic is been higher as Shiradi ghat is closed...hence it is getting jam...but no issues, if you are driving in day go with route 2.

Except for about 20 odd kms road near Mudigere, the stretch is fine throughout...If you are driving in night try the SHimoga route (as route 2 gets traffic blockages)

Abhi
Old 31st October 2007, 14:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yup route 2 is better, aslo you can try via madikeri. but i think road is not in that great shape near Sulya, Puttur.

good luck
Old 31st October 2007, 15:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Actually in route 2, the traffic is been higher as Shiradi ghat is closed...hence it is getting jam...but no issues, if you are driving in day go with route 2.

Except for about 20 odd kms road near Mudigere, the stretch is fine throughout...If you are driving in night try the SHimoga route (as route 2 gets traffic blockages)

Abhi
I second what Abhi has said. From Bangalore till mudigere is good road (Except some pot holes near gonibeed), I did a trip just 3 days back.
After mudigere till Kottigehar it's pretty bad, but that's hardly 19kms.
From Kalasa - Kudremukha-Karkala ita a bliss i feel
Old 31st October 2007, 15:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
aslo you can try via madikeri. but i think road is not in that great shape near Sulya, Puttur.

good luck
That's a very long route Lohith, indeed pretty long.
Other possible route for you is
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-GONIBEED-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHAR-UJIRE-BELTHANGADY-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA(OR VENUR -MOODABIDRE) -UDUPI.
But not sure about the road condition from UJIRE-UDUPI.. coz it's been pretty long since I travelled in this route
Old 31st October 2007, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
That's a very long route Lohith, indeed pretty long.
Other possible route for you is
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-GONIBEED-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHAR-UJIRE-BELTHANGADY-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA(OR VENUR -MOODABIDRE) -UDUPI.
But not sure about the road condition from UJIRE-UDUPI.. coz it's been pretty long since I travelled in this route
From Ujre to udupi its good, nice winding roads. with very less traffic
Old 31st October 2007, 17:32   #57
BHPian

Ok..Thanks a lot guys, i think I will stick to route 2. Let me bother you all with one more query -

What will be the approximate time for the trip if i take route 2. I am planning to leave Blr by 7.00AM as I am not comfortable driving in night.
Old 31st October 2007, 22:38   #58
BHPian

You should take around 6 hrs to reach Kalasa. From Kalasa to Udupi should be around 2.5 hrs.

I did the Udupi trip via Shimoga during the first week of this month and that stretch is good as well. The Kalasa to Udupi stretch is excellent and the road is a bit bad when you get into Manipal.

S.Suresh
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ok..Thanks a lot guys, i think I will stick to route 2. Let me bother you all with one more query -

What will be the approximate time for the trip if i take route 2. I am planning to leave Blr by 7.00AM as I am not comfortable driving in night.
On a santro with avg speed of 80-90kmph.
7am(BLR) - 8am(nelmangala) - 10am(hassan) 11.15am(mudigere) - 1pm (Kudremukha) - 3pm (udupi)...
It's an approximate.

Last edited by sushrutha : 2nd November 2007 at 11:41.
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
On a santro with avg speed of 80-90kmph.
7am(BLR) - 8am(nelmangala) - 10am(hassan) 11.15am(mudigere) - 1pm (Kudremukha) - 3pm (udupi)...
It's an approximate.
, pls include 30min breakfast and lunch break in between as well...

My suggession would be to try and reach Neelamangala by 6:45-7AM, then you will find an empty NH48 (all the buses will be crossed and the villagers will be asleep), then you can even reach Udupi for lunch...

Abhi

Most Viewed