Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 19:27   #6001
BHPian

Quick update here..
Broken section in Elavala bypass under the railway bridge is fixed. However rest of the roads still have uneven bumps.
Construction or widening of the bridge has been completed near sampaje and road is fixed.
For people who want to go kukke directly.. Stretch between arantodu - markanja has been re-tarred but no widening.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 20:52   #6002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Quick update here..
Broken section in Elavala bypass under the railway bridge is fixed. However rest of the roads still have uneven bumps.
Construction or widening of the bridge has been completed near sampaje and road is fixed.
For people who want to go kukke directly.. Stretch between arantodu - markanja has been re-tarred but no widening.

That is good news. Now no need to get in to mysore city if this road work is finished. About 2 months back when I was travelling on this road, there was a diversion leading to mysore ring road because of this. Took about 20 minutes extra to reach ilavala.

I would prefer mysore - madikeri route anyday over chennarayapatna- somwarpet- madikeri route because of straight wide roads ensuring more comfortable ride for the family.
Old 28th April 2015, 12:35   #6003

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi All, I have to do a day trip Bangalore-Sakleshpur-Tumkur next week. Appreciate any information on the road condition from Hassan to Sakleshpur? On the return trip from Sakleshpur, is it better to drive on NH 48 till Nelamangala and join NH 4 towards Tumkur or take the Hassan-Kunigal-Tumkur route?
Old 1st May 2015, 21:20   #6004
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
Planning for a quick visit to Dharmastala and Kukke Subramanya from Mysore tomorrow with my parents.
Have booked rooms in Kukke, But prefer to visit Dharmastala first.
I am planning to take the Madikeri, Sampaje, Sullia road instead of Charmadi.

How is the road conditions to Dharmastala through sampaje sullia road and the traffic density.

Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 21:50   #6005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
How is the road conditions to Dharmastala through sampaje sullia road and the traffic density.
Yes Charmadi makes sense to head to Dharmasthala. For the way to Kukke, The road to Nelyadi from Dharmasthala is not all that great. It improve beyond.
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:37   #6006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Hi All, I have to do a day trip Bangalore-Sakleshpur-Tumkur next week. Appreciate any information on the road condition from Hassan to Sakleshpur? On the return trip from Sakleshpur, is it better to drive on NH 48 till Nelamangala and join NH 4 towards Tumkur or take the Hassan-Kunigal-Tumkur route?
Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch is a well-surfaces 2-lane road, with moderate traffic.

For Sakleshpur-Tumkur, no point going all the way till Nelamangala. Kunigal-Tumkur road can be taken.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 12:28   #6007
Senior - BHPian

I have a weekend drive coming up

Here is what i gathered from last few pages

BLR-UDUPI
blr->CR patna bypass ->arasikere ->shimoga -> theerthahalli -> agumbe ->udupi (This is around 30 km longer than the usual blr->tumkur->arasikere but traffic seem to be less so i should take same amount of time.

Let me know if this looks fine

I have a wedding to attend in Belthangadi on sunday and return from there Sunday afternoon. So Logical choice is "CHARMADI"

Now, if its not a must avoid, it is the shortest route for me to reach Bangalore. unless its really bad. Off late is the traffic jams under control ? Worried because its a sunday afternoon
Old 6th May 2015, 13:47   #6008
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
BLR-UDUPI
blr->CR patna bypass ->arasikere ->shimoga -> theerthahalli -> agumbe ->udupi (This is around 30 km longer than the usual blr->tumkur->arasikere but traffic seem to be less so i should take same amount of time.

Let me know if this looks fine
Look at earlier posts by ampere and samurai - they've cracked this
Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:54   #6009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Look at earlier posts by ampere and samurai - they've cracked this
Link
Yes this was the map i wanted to search but could not find. But somehow read about the CR patna - arasikere stretch. Thanks a lot

Unless someone warns me on Charmadi route again, i dont have much choice but to stick to it
Old 6th May 2015, 16:33   #6010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this was the map i wanted to search but could not find. But somehow read about the CR patna - arasikere stretch. Thanks a lot

Unless someone warns me on Charmadi route again, i dont have much choice but to stick to it

Okay. Let me warn you 😃. Charmadi is a strict NO when driving during daytime especially over the weekend. Just yesterday ( Tuesday ) people were caught in jams in the afternoon.

For Udipi , the Agumbe - Bhadravathi route is the best and hassle free
Old 7th May 2015, 09:19   #6011
BHPian

Charmadi should be the last resort because of the travel time. Jams are normal because of the narrow roads on many curves. I travelled from Mangalore to Bangalore last Sunday, 3rd May 2015. Started from Mangalore at 1.30pm and we reached Mudigere at 6.30pm! 5 hours to travel ~ 130 kms. Spent more than one hour because of a jam in the ghat section. It was surprising to see that most of the vehicles were maintaining lane discipline. Of course there were a few who were driving as if it was a one way street. Finally we managed to reach Bangalore at 11.00pm.

When travelling to Mangalore on 30th April 2015, I used the Bangalore-Chennarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arakalagudu-Kushalnagara-Madikeri-Mangalore. Roads are excellent and I enjoyed the drive. Encountered heavy rains after Madikeri till Sullia and that slowed down the drive. Started from Bangalore at 3.30pm & reached Mangalore at midnight.

I would advise to use the Madikeri route to avoid getting stuck in traffic jams along the Charmadi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Okay. Let me warn you 😃. Charmadi is a strict NO when driving during daytime especially over the weekend. Just yesterday ( Tuesday ) people were caught in jams in the afternoon.
Pictures taken on the Charmadi ghat during the traffic jam on Sunday afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20150503_165214.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20150503_165311.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20150503_170205.jpg  

prabhusati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 09:48   #6012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
It was surprising to see that most of the vehicles were maintaining lane discipline.
Good to know people were maintaining lane discipline

Any idea what was the reason for the jam?
Old 7th May 2015, 16:50   #6013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Okay. Let me warn you Charmadi is a strict NO when driving during daytime especially over the weekend. Just yesterday ( Tuesday ) people were caught in jams in the afternoon.

For Udipi , the Agumbe - Bhadravathi route is the best and hassle free
I know

But i will be in Belthangadi for a wedding on Sunday and plan to leave from there post lunch. Now Belthangadi is on foothills and Charmadi is the nearest route.

Is it so bad that I need to go to Karkala->agumbe-> blr ? Or Belthangadi->sullia->madikeri ->blr which might be a big loop
Old 7th May 2015, 17:16   #6014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know

But i will be in Belthangadi for a wedding on Sunday and plan to leave from there post lunch. Now Belthangadi is on foothills and Charmadi is the nearest route.

Is it so bad that I need to go to Karkala->agumbe-> blr ? Or Belthangadi->sullia->madikeri ->blr which might be a big loop
Agumbe/Sringeri would be a big-big detour. A better alternative with a slightly longer route would be Sampaje/Sullia.

Belthangady-Uppinangady-Puttur-Jalsoor-Sullia-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Holenarasipur-CR Patna-Bangalore.

Or if your destination is south Bangalore you can try the traffic prone Mysore road as well (from Madikeri).
Old 7th May 2015, 17:45   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Agumbe/Sringeri would be a big-big detour. A better alternative with a slightly longer route would be Sampaje/Sullia.

Belthangady-Uppinangady-Puttur-Jalsoor-Sullia-Madikeri-Somwarpet-Holenarasipur-CR Patna-Bangalore.

Or if your destination is south Bangalore you can try the traffic prone Mysore road as well (from Madikeri).
But i see that the suggested route is around 70+ km more than Charmadi route. Same goes with kudremukh route too.

Its like I am standing right below Charmadi ghat and asking how i can avoid it !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks