Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 23:20   #6031
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Thanks , that's a good option too. NH4 all the way till Chitradurga , how good Chitradurga -Shimogga road? A small stretch of road between Arsikere and Tarikere is bad , rest all is good.
I traveled from Shivamogga - Chitradurga last week. Barring around 20-30%, rest of the road was rough as road widening is going on at many places.
That night, it was raining very heavily, which made things worse.
There are also many diversions near Chitradurga due to the work.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:36   #6032
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a trip to Shringeri, Dharmastala, Kadri, Udupi, Kolluru and Kateel (probably Sag and sigandooru in between if time permits). I am going with my family and hence would need a decent accomodation. Planning to start on Thursday night or friday early morning and return by sunday night.
Can you guys please advise on the best route to take and also places to stay?
Old 12th May 2015, 12:41   #6033
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Thanks , that's a good option too. NH4 all the way till Chitradurga , how good Chitradurga -Shimogga road? A small stretch of road between Arsikere and Tarikere is bad , rest all is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I traveled from Shivamogga - Chitradurga last week. Barring around 20-30%, rest of the road was rough as road widening is going on at many places.
That night, it was raining very heavily, which made things worse.
There are also many diversions near Chitradurga due to the work.
In that case you can do either:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-get onto NH48 Mangalore highway-Channrayapatna-turn off to Arsikere-merge onto NH206-Sagar-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Sringeri.

OR

Bangalore-Tumkur bypass (has been patched up recently) and get onto NH206-Birur-Arsikere-Sagar-Shimoga.

*If taking these routes, you can visit Jog Falls on the way.

Last edited by NPV : 12th May 2015 at 12:45.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 13:19   #6034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I was at Udupi for a Friend's wedding this week. Started from Bangalore on Thursday evening and the road we took was as follows :

Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Ilavala - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi.

SH17 was as usual crowded, since we started from Bangalore @ 7.00PM. Reached Madikeri by 11.30 PM and then onwards, it was a pleasure to drive as the roads were literally empty. We only encountered a few buses which were heading to Bangalore from Mangalore. Reached Udupi @ 3.00AM.

Return was on Saturday morning and we decided to ry out the Agumbe route.

Udupi - Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri - Jayapura - Chickmagalur - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore.

We stared @ 11.00AM and were in Bangalore by 9.00PM, thanks to a big Jam right after the Nelamangala toll and again on SH17 near Kengeri.

As usual, the worst driven cars were Bangalore registered ones on the highway and the KL registered ones near Mangalore and Udupi.
How about the road conditions on both the routes? Need to travel to Mangalore in first week of June.
Old 13th May 2015, 20:07   #6035
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to attend a marriage in Bramhavar near Udupi on Saturday. The plan is :
1. Start from Bangalore at 11 pm
2. Reach Bramhavar by 7 am

Is it doable? Suggested routes ? What is the condition of the roads? I need to reach Bramhavar bus stand
Old 14th May 2015, 11:06   #6036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning to attend a marriage in Bramhavar near Udupi on Saturday. The plan is :
1. Start from Bangalore at 11 pm
2. Reach Bramhavar by 7 am

Is it doable? Suggested routes ? What is the condition of the roads? I need to reach Bramhavar bus stand
I suggest to take Ampere's route. Here is the route

I travelled above route in May 1st. Its in good conditions.
Old 14th May 2015, 13:59   #6037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I suggest to take Ampere's route. Here is the route

I travelled above route in May 1st. Its in good conditions.
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply!! Is it doable at night?
Old 14th May 2015, 14:22   #6038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply!! Is it doable at night?
The fog at Agumbe ghat could be an issue early morning.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 15:42   #6039
BHPian

^^^
There will be fog near Mandagadde and Agumbe. As long as speed is controlled, this is not an issue. Hope you have driven in night. Because after Arsikere its two way, with truck traffic till Badravathi.
Old 14th May 2015, 19:07   #6040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am planning for a trip to Shringeri, Dharmastala, Kadri, Udupi, Kolluru and Kateel and sagar and sigandooru in between if time permits). I am going with my family and hence would need a decent accomodation. Planning to start on Thursday night or friday early morning and return by sunday night.
Can you guys please advise on the best route to take and also places to stay?

Guys any advice on the route to take?? Need it urgently as i am planning to start tom. This is the route i am planning to take. The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431610614.421752.jpg
Old 15th May 2015, 00:52   #6041
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Mangalore on Wednesday night. Started at 7 pm IST and reached at 245 am IST with a 90 min break at Mayura for dinner.

As always , it's Charmadi when driving in the night. The only minor jam we encountered was between Belur and Mudigere. We were stuck for close to 15 mins because of these 2 idiots ( truckers ) refusing to give way to each other. Finally a few other drivers had to get involved to get them moving.

Charmadi as always is a breeze in the night. The only traffic I faced were the buses from mangalore.

Dharmasthala to mangalore was just awesome with almost zero oncoming traffic.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431631210.759950.jpg

Return is an early morning start at 3/4 am via Charmadi unless it starts raining the way it's raining now !
Old 15th May 2015, 04:42   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
As always , it's Charmadi when driving in the night.

Charmadi as always is a breeze in the night. The only traffic I faced were the buses from mangalore.

Return is an early morning start at 3/4 am via Charmadi unless it starts raining the way it's raining now !
I encountered heavy fog when I drove through charmadi a couple of times in the night.

I am now sticking to sampaje for my M'lore drives. I will be driving again this weekend to M'lore. I will be starting at 5AM on Saturday.

Last time I drove through CRpatna - holenarsipura - arkalgudu - somawarapete route. Thinking of sticking to this route again.

How is Blore - Mysore highway after the NHAI decided to replace the speed breakers with collapsible barricades? Is the exercise complete? Does it make the route faster?
Old 15th May 2015, 15:29   #6043
BHPian

Another route suggested is through Coorg:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ajme...d13.436745!3e0

Suggestions? I am leaving in a few hours
Old 17th May 2015, 13:38   #6044
Senior - BHPian

Started 330 am IST from konaje and reached Bannerghata road at 11 am IST. Came via Charmadi and as usual had a few close calls with idiots from bangalore overtaking on the hairpins or on blind corners. Breakfast was at Mayura

We did encounter fog just after the ghat till Belur , but was manageable

Charmadi during the rains is just so beautiful ! Also heard from a local that Shiradi will be opened next month with work being completed for the first 13 kms. It seems the ghat will be closed again after October to complete the remaining work. Not sure on how correct this info is. But , if true , this will free up Charmadi during the rains which will be a treat to drive on

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431849978.208444.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431850067.115392.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431850086.522951.jpg
Old 17th May 2015, 15:32   #6045
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kudroli, Mangalore next Sunday. We plan to leave from JP Nagar around 6 am.

What is the suggested route?

I had taken the Charmadi route 2 years ago but looks like it isn't the most preferred route now due to jams.

Most Viewed