Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 10:38   #6436
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You would agree when you get back.
Aye Aye Sir! We loved the route so much that we returned the same way (Note: Our original plan was to return via Nelamangala).

Quote:
So go ahead and have a safe and a fantastic one.
Yes we did, thanks! The rain was a bummer though! Hopefully, will do it again in better weather.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 14:51   #6437
BHPian

Any suggestions on the route to take from Dharmasthala to Subramanya? Should I go via Gundya or as per the blue route in the map snippet below?

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-routequery.jpg

Also, what is the best route to go from Dharmasthala to Udupi?
From achyu's travelogue the route to take would be [Dharmasthala-Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Nitte-Belman-Udupi]

Is this better than the Karkala route which seems to be shorter? I would prefer a route which is less curvy!

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-routequery1.jpg

Lastly, If I were to go from Subramanya to Udupi directly, what would be the best route to take?

Please help! Thanks in advance.
Old 13th November 2015, 15:03   #6438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Is this better than the Karkala route which seems to be shorter? I would prefer a route which is less curvy!
Dharmasthala to Udupi via Karkala Nitte Belman Padubidre will be partially curvy but overall good enough. Karkala - Padubidre will be bliss and super fast as well.

On the other hand, if you were to approach Udupi from Mangalore side, it is again less curvy as its 4 laned and mostly straight with work in progress in few sections.

Quote:
Lastly, If I were to go from Subramanya to Udupi directly, what would be the best route to take?
Via NH48 and then Mangalore would be the option to take then.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:13   #6439
BHPian

Quote:
Dharmasthala to Udupi via Karkala Nitte Belman Padubidre will be partially curvy but overall good enough. Karkala - Padubidre will be bliss and super fast as well.
Did you mean that this route [Dharmasthala-Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Nitte-Belman-Udupi], although partially curvy, is super fast?

So, you feel that the above route might be better than the Karkala route (highlighted in blue in my previous post - second picture)?

Quote:
On the other hand, if you were to approach Udupi from Mangalore side, it is again less curvy as its 4 laned and mostly straight with work in progress in few sections.

Via NH48 and then Mangalore would be the option to take then.
Makes sense!
Old 13th November 2015, 15:19   #6440
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean that this route [Dharmasthala-Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Nitte-Belman-Udupi], although partially curvy, is super fast?
Hey naut,

Its actually Belman-Padubidri-Udupi, and Parag is right - that route is a driver's delight. You will love it. I highly recommend it for your own driving pleasure.

I had initially planned to visit Kukke Subramanya and then dropped it. I was going take the Gundya route. Compared to the other one, I believe the Gundya route will be slightly better. There are patches were small craters appear out of nowhere but nothing alarming. The road is decent otherwise.

Have a nice trip!
achyu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:23   #6441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So, you feel that the above route might be better than the Karkala route (highlighted in blue in my previous post - second picture)?
Yes, if you ask me the way points then - Dharmasthala - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala (Circle) - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Udupi

This also means you will still go via Karkala but merely touch the town on the outskirts at a major junction.

I say this is partially curvy because Guruvayanakere till Bajagoli will have some curves but not typically like ghats, Bajagoli - Karkala almost straight, Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre is super wide, well marked and a fast section with sparse traffic, while Padubidre Udupi will be the usual NH17 and that's straight till Udupi.

Budget around 1.5 Hour for Karkala Circle from Dharmasthala and another 25 Minutes to hit NH17 at Padubidre and another 25 for Udupi from here (Or perhaps little lesser depending on traffic).
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:38   #6442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Hey naut,

Compared to the other one, I believe the Gundya route will be slightly better. There are patches were small craters appear out of nowhere but nothing alarming. The road is decent otherwise.

Have a nice trip!
Thanks mate! Last December, I took the other route from Dharmasthala to Kukke (Non-Gundya) as it was shorter and cursed myself for the choice. The route was horrible to say the least and road laying work had just started. I wasn't sure if the road is any better now. Anyway, I was kinda of hoping that Gundya might be better. Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
This also means you will still go via Karkala but merely touch the town on the outskirts at a major junction.
Thanks Parag! That's why Karkala figured in both routes . Point noted.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 20:12   #6443
BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447425529.559691.jpg

Had to drive to Manipal today. Started at 4 am from JP nagar. Reached sakleshpur only to realise Mangalore Bandh and that they aren't allowing vehicles to pass BC Road.

So drove up till Gundya, went to Dharmasthala and then took Ujjire. There was an anti-tipu protest going on where we lost an hour. The cops came and cleared it up. Drove through Belthangady-Venoor-Moodbidri-Mulki-Udupi-Manipal.

Excellent roads. Some stretches are narrow. Mostly curvy roads but good nonetheless.

The situation is supposed to be fine tomo.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 22:10   #6444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
So drove up till Gundya, went to Dharmasthala and then took Ujjire. There was an anti-tipu protest going on where we lost an hour. The cops came and cleared it up. Drove through Belthangady-Venoor-Moodbidri-Mulki-Udupi-Manipal.
Any reason you didn't take Belthangady - Naravi - Karkala - Manipal route? Would have saved you about 20 kms.
Old 16th November 2015, 08:46   #6445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Any reason you didn't take Belthangady - Naravi - Karkala - Manipal route? Would have saved you about 20 kms.

Had to pick my cousin at Mulki, he took a bus from NITK to reach Mulki.

Also Distance isn't the issue, it's all about the drive 😁

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 09:35   #6446
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-epaper.newindianexpress.com-c-250d9aa5f1ad42bfb97cf6abaeb41f81-.jpg

- from The New Indian Express ePaper - Shivamogga Edition
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 21:30   #6447
BHPian

Has Shiradi held up given the recent rains? Or has there been no rains thereabouts...
Old 21st November 2015, 10:23   #6448
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

As per a news report, the Public Works Department is mulling diversion of traffic from Shiradi Ghat to SH 85 (Bisle Ghat ?) and then take up the second phase of road work on Shiradi

Source:Indian Express, Bangalore edition 21 Nov 2015 - "Traffic Diversion at Shiradi Ghat"
Old 21st November 2015, 16:03   #6449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As per a news report, the Public Works Department is mulling diversion of traffic from Shiradi Ghat to SH 85 (Bisle Ghat ?) and then take up the second phase of road work on Shiradi

Source:Indian Express, Bangalore edition 21 Nov 2015 - "Traffic Diversion at Shiradi Ghat"
I am driving through Shiradi tomorrow morning. What a terrible idea this diversion is.
Old 21st November 2015, 18:10   #6450
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am driving through Shiradi tomorrow morning. What a terrible idea this diversion is.
As mentioned in that article they are only thinking about it so it is not likely to happen so quickly
There were earlier reports that Bisle ghat road was being concretized so now it seems like this was planned earlier as the alternate route when Shiradi closes again for repairs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks