Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 12:41   #6511
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

BHPians,

Can you please suggest the best route from Bangalore to Kundapur/Maravanthe?

Google suggests the following 3 routes,

1. Bangalore - Hassan - Chickmagalur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapur (430km)
2. Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Siddapura - Kundapur (469km)
3. Bangalore - Hiriyur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Kundapur (442km)

Here is the link, http://bit.ly/1NKZykI

Is Shiradi Ghat an option? Is it still open?

I plan to drive towards Maravanthe on the morning(targeting 6am start) of Tuesday, 8th Dec. For the return journey I plan to start from Maravanthe by around 10am on Saturday, 12th Dec. I'll be using my Thar for this trip.

Thanks,
Preetham
Old 4th December 2015, 14:45   #6512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
BHPians,
Bangalore-CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga - Ayannur - Ripponpete - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Ampar - Kundapur (or Ampar - Vandse - Hemmadi - Marvanthe)

or

Bangalore-CR Patna - Arsikere - Bhdravathi - Umblibail - Mandagadde - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Someshwar - Ampar - Kundapur (or Ampar - Vandse - Hemmadi - Marvanthe)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 09:38   #6513
BHPian

Nocturnal drivers, please keep an eye for the umpteen sand laden trucks and lorries between Mani and Hassan. There are too many of them plying now, with particles of sand flying off from some of the ones where the plastic sheet has come off loose, and jetting onto the windshield while trailing them :(
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 09:56   #6514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Nocturnal drivers, please keep an eye for the umpteen sand laden trucks and lorries between Mani and Hassan. There are too many of them plying now, with particles of sand flying off from some of the ones where the plastic sheet has come off loose, and jetting onto the windshield while trailing them :(
Been there, done that! Sand Lorries usually are on prowl post midnight towards Bangalore and they are a menace.

Apart from things you mentioned, they are also famous for hogging the right lane, driving together without overtaking each other and holding others to ransom and the worst of all, breaking down right on the fast lane next to the median!!

This scene is also very prevalent on the Chitradurga - Bangalore stretch as well.
Old 8th December 2015, 01:01   #6515
BANNED

Per an old report in the Hindu paper the Shiradi ghat section would be closed again. This time it' for laying 13 km concrete road between Kempuhole Guest House and Addahole near Gundya, and laying 21 km bitumen road between Gulagale and Heggadde.

I spoke to a couple of shell oil tanker drivers who carry fuel from MRPL to Blr.

It is closed from January 1st 2016 onwards.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:53   #6516
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I climbed up the Shiradi Ghat after a while, and noticed some unexpected behavior from the concrete surface. When the road is relatively deserted, I drive up as if I am on track, enjoying each curve. However, I felt that whenever I was on concrete, the vehicle was being held back. I couldn't execute many overtake actions that I usually can. But the moment I hit the tarmac section, the vehicle recovers the power and zips ahead like usual.

When I stopped at Kadamane shop, I looked at the tyres. It looked like the tyres were scraped clean using sand paper. Then I closely looked at the cement surface and found it was grooved. The cement pavement is not smooth, but grooved, probably to prevent slipperiness during wet conditions.

This means the new cement surface in Shiradi has much higher rolling resistance than tarmac, and it chews out the tyres.

Have others noticed this?

Last edited by Samurai : 8th December 2015 at 10:45. Reason: typo
Old 8th December 2015, 09:36   #6517
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Then I closely looked at the cement surface and found it was grooved. The cement pavement is not smooth, but grooved, probably to prevent slipperiness during wet conditions.

This means the new cement surface in Shiradi has much higher rolling resistance than tarmac, and it chews out the tyres.

I was on that road 6 months back. The grooves weren't there then.

However, if it's there now, it is done in order to lay another layer of cement. The new one has to "grab" the old one.

You may have seen masons scratch a cemented wall with a metal brush to fix tiles. Same reason.

The only induced roughness they do on cemented roads on this ghat is on turnings. They put small jelly stones which helps you when you're in a Senna like mode. It was there even in the black tar days.

This again seems to be only for the tankers and trailer trucks' benefit. I haven't seen this "helper" type of turns on other ghats. Tirupathi and Ooty ones are smooth.

I think this will become a very good road. After finishing they'll fix cats eyes all along and paint the road borders and medians with reflective type paint.

They may even improve the side railings.

Hopefully they'll polish the view point area a bit. And make the "machaan" over there slightly better.

For sure there won't be any Mercury street lighting. It's a jungle after all. The Leopards won't like it.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:29   #6518
BHPian

Quote:

When I stopped at Kadamane shop, I looked at the tyres. It looked like the tyres were scraped clean using sand paper. Then I closely looked at the cement surface and found it was grooved. The cement pavement is not smooth, but grooved, probably to prevent slipperiness during wet conditions.

Yes , My cousin who went for the inspection told that , Ocean Constructions used a dedicated machine to put grooves on the concrete.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:13   #6519
BANNED

Quote:

3. Bangalore - Hiriyur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Kundapur (442km)

Here is the link, http://bit.ly/1NKZykI

Is Shiradi Ghat an option? Is it still open?

I plan to drive towards Maravanthe on the morning(targeting 6am start) of Tuesday, 8th Dec. For the return journey I plan to start from Maravanthe by around 10am on Saturday, 12th Dec. I'll be using my Thar for this trip.

Thanks,
Preetham
I would take option 3. Thirthalli is a beautiful place. But don't go by the distances. It's a narrow road and you'll take more time. So leave early.

Does the Thar have tubeless tires? Many sections are quite lonely. So I'd suggest you leave as early as possible.

Don't waste too much time on breakfast or lunch. 10-15 min. tops.

Once you're close to thirthalli you can enjoy the scenery from there on.

Shiradi is very much open. But somewhat boring.

Carry water bottles. And wet wipes tissues along with hand sanitizers.

And if you're with family carry some anti-Vomit tablets. I don't remember it's name. D something. It's an OTC brand.
Old 8th December 2015, 12:34   #6520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yes , My cousin who went for the inspection told that , Ocean Constructions used a dedicated machine to put grooves on the concrete.
This intentionally grooved road increases fuel consumption.

http://www.asphaltroads.org/assets/_...ss_Matters.pdf
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:21   #6521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
I spoke to a couple of shell oil tanker drivers who carry fuel from MRPL to Blr.

It is closed from January 1st 2016 onwards.
Does this mean NH48 is still the best route until Jan?
Old 8th December 2015, 13:59   #6522
BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

Google suggests the following 3 routes,

2. Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Siddapura - Kundapur (469km)

I plan to drive towards Maravanthe on the morning(targeting 6am start) of Tuesday, 8th Dec.
Preetham
Note sure if my reply is on time for your trip.
I had recently driven in this stretch Shimoga - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Siddapura - Kundapur

From Shimoga - Hosanagara roads are very good with occasional rough road surfaces / potholes.

Hosanagara - Hulikal - Multiple potholes in the road. Curves have non existent bitumen and have craters which causes you to decelerate to 20 Kmph. Road becomes worse about 2 Km from Nagara towards Hulikal. For about 4 to 6 Kms, road is bruised battered and no bitumen. Its like offroading in this 4 to 6 Kms. But post Mastikatte, road starts improving.

Hulikal - Siddapura - Ghat secion is good, but curves and hairpin bends have craters formed. I did see some maintenance work being carried out, but except curves and Hairpin bends roads are good.

Siddapura - Kundapur - Roads are moderately fine, with occasional potholes and craters.

I did this on 01 Dec to 02 Dec 2015. These might not be an issue for Thar, but sedans need to take care of these pointers.

I assume this feedback helps you in your return journey.

carlosTHEjackal
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:20   #6523
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone update the road conditions from Mangalore towards Kasaragod please. I am planning to go to Kumbla during the last week of December. I will be starting from Udupi and going to Kumbla and back.

Last edited by unk9ja : 10th December 2015 at 17:21. Reason: Start point added
Old 10th December 2015, 19:23   #6524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I felt that whenever I was on concrete, the vehicle was being held back. I couldn't execute many overtake actions that I usually can. But the moment I hit the tarmac section, the vehicle recovers the power and zips ahead like usual.

These days I have been driving twice a week to Mangalore on alternate weeks . Didnt notice any major difference in pickup nor FE .

On road updates , a new set of speedbreakers have come up just before Perne while driving from Mangalore. They werent there last week though.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:40   #6525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
These days I have been driving twice a week to Mangalore on alternate weeks . Didnt notice any major difference in pickup nor FE .

On road updates , a new set of speedbreakers have come up just before Perne while driving from Mangalore. They werent there last week though.
Though am still reviewing this condition, your reference to the frictional surface on the ghat has got me thinking, Samurai.

I have made 3 round trips with fairly consistent fuel consumption readings (measured tankful to tankful prior to start, and end of journey). The readings are around 18l on the downward trip to Mangalore, and about 24l for return. Still don't have an answer on why the additional 6l consumed, even for a ghat climb that's a max of about 35kms . If there's air that's gotten into the tank, then it should be accounted for during both fillings. Here again, we (pump attendant and me, hehe) wait patiently until the froth clears up and clear diesel is seen upto the neck of the tank.

That apart, not noticed any tyre pressure drop. The readings have remained near static, and its the same 2 PSI drop when measured after 2 round trips, as earlier (they are on nitrogen).

Most Viewed